web analytics
October 1, 2016 / 28 Elul, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘CALIFORNIA’

Smugglers’ Cross-Border Tunnel Discovered in San Diego

Thursday, April 21st, 2016

It’s not only Israel contending with tunnels, although for Israel tunnels pose an existential threat.

For the third time this month, a cross-border tunnel was discovered Wednesday (April 20) leading from Mexico to California. Authorities seized seven tons of marijuana and more than a ton of cocaine.

The tunnel, measuring nearly half a mile, is believed to be the longest ever found in California. It was equipped with a rail system, ventilation, lights and a large elevator, making delivery of the smuggled goods much easier and more efficient. Some tunnels along the U.S.-Mexico border have been discovered with hydraulic lifts and electric rail cards, according to Fox News.

The exit on the U.S. side was about three feet wide. Six people were arrested last Friday in San Diego and charged with constructing tunnels and other drug-related crimes. They were not identified and their affiliation is not known.

There are numerous drug cartels doing “business” throughout Latin America, including a number who carry out transactions with Lebanon’s Iranian-backed Hezbollah terrorist organization.

Agents found 1,600 pounds of marijuana inside the tunnel. Another 11,000 pounds of cannabis and 2,242 pounds of cocaine were found in the truck that had been collected from the handy trash bin strategically placed to hide the mouth of the tunnel, as a pickup site for smugglers. In addition, another 1,430 pounds of marijuana were found in the bin.

Hana Levi Julian

Jewish Man Protects KKK Member from Protester Mob in Anaheim [video]

Tuesday, March 1st, 2016

It might seem ironic, but it took a Jewish guy to protect a member of the Ku Klux Klan from at least 30 angry counter protesters this past weekend when his fellow Klansmen abandoned him.

Six members of the white supremacist group had showed up for the planned anti-immigration rally on the “white lives matter” theme, according to Anaheim Police Dept. Spokesperson Sgt. Daron Wyatt. Several were wearing navy blue uniforms, with a patch of the Confederate flag sewn on the sleeve.

The Klan leader knocked to the ground was Will Quigg, national leader of the group, as the scuffle quickly became a beat-down. The Klansman was taking the worst of it when Prof. Brian Levin stepped in.

Levin is the director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at Cal State San Bernardino.

“The protesters were going to tear these guys limb for limb,” he told Guns.com . “I don’t know how long I could’ve held them back.” Levin was there to witness and record the KKK, which he has been doing for several years. But police had not yet arrived, and violence had started.

“I’ve seen this before,” Levin said. “You don’t want a hostile crowd with a stationary target on the ground. Once you get a crowd going, it doesn’t stop.”

Wyatt said Klansmen stabbed three protesters, including one who was stabbed with “the decorative end of a flagpole” and rushed to a nearby hospital in critical condition. A total of five people were injured, including two from the hate group.

Police had not expected the counter protesters would become violent. “The KKK, as reprehensible as it may be, is protected by the First Amendment,” Wyatt said. “They have a right under the Constitution to say what they want to say.”

Levin made it clear he was not protecting the Klansman on philosophical grounds, but rather to ensure that no one was killed in the violence. He later asked the KKK member how it felt to have his life saved by a Jewish man. “I thank you,” the Klansman replied. “I thank you.”

Hana Levi Julian

Apple Opposes Unlocking Terrorist’s iPhone

Thursday, February 18th, 2016

Less than a month after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the need for developing cyber defense technology at the Cyber Tech Convention in Tel Aviv, the United States faces a challenge on home ground.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has opposed a court order to unlock the iPhone 5c used by the terrorist who murdered 14 people in cold blood last December in San Bernardino, California.

But the order issued Tuesday by Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym of the U.S. District Court for Central California supported an FBI claim that Apple’s help is needed to unlock the phone.

Cook called the order “an unprecedented step” in an open letter on Wednesday.

“We oppose this order, which has implications far beyond the legal case at hand,” he wrote.

“The government is asking Apple to hack our own users and undermine decades of security advancement that protect our customers – including tens of millions of American citizens – from sophisticated hackers and cyber criminals.”

The Apple executive added that the company “has no sympathy for terrorists.” Apple provides data upon presentation of a search warrant, he said. But the encrypted data of Farook’s phone, he claimed, is no longer within reach.

The company designed the system in 2014 in such a way that it does not hold the key to unlock the software.

Likewise Google designed a similar smartphone software system at the same time, in which it does not hold the key to unlock the encryption.

Both firms deeply angered American security officials at the time: FBI director James Comey was quoted by U.S. News and World Report at as saying “There will come a day … when it will matter a great deal to the lives of people of all kinds that we be able to with judicial authorization gain access kidnapper’s or a terrorist or a criminal’s device.”

Syed Rizwan Farook was killed in a shootout with police along with his wife and fellow terrorist, Tashfeen Malik later that day. But he left his phone, which might provide clues to what motivated the couple’s murderous rampage.

The only problem is, the phone is locked. A security mechanism on Apple phones automatically erases the data after 10 failed attempts to guess the password. The FBI so far has failed to access the data.

Hana Levi Julian

14 Dead in San Bernardino Massacre

Thursday, December 3rd, 2015

A holiday party for San Bernardino county health workers at the Inland Regional Center for developmentally disabled ended suddenly when three masked shooters crashed the party.

It was a scene of carnage as armed terrorists, wearing black masks, camouflage fatigues and bullet vests opened fire at the happy workers.

The terrorists murdered 14 people and seriously wounded at least 17 others inside the conference room where the party was being held.

One of the shooters was later identified as 28-year-old Syed Rizwan Farook, according to the LA Times. Farook was married to the second shooter, 27-year-old Tashfeen Malik. Both were U.S. citizens.

Police are searching for the third shooter. Sources said that person is a relative of Farook, not yet identified. Reportedly, a third person has been detained. It is not clear whether that person is a suspect or not.

When they ran out of bullets, all three took off in a black SUV, heading for the Farook home. Police caught up with them a few hours later, cornering Farook and his wife when they tried to flee in their SUV. In the shootout that followed, the vehicle was riddled with bullets, leaving both dead and blood running in the street.

According to numerous sources, Farook left the party, appearing “angry.” But investigators said Wednesday night that the motive for the massacre is still unclear.

“This was not a casual workplace argument,” a law enforcement source told the NY Post. “It’s a well-planned and thought-out attack.”

San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan echoed that view, telling reporters, “Preliminary information indicates that these were people who came prepared, that they were dressed and equipped in a way to indicate that they were prepared… and they were armed with long guns, not handguns.”

Sappers were working late into the night to defuse an IED (improvised explosive device) discovered by police at the scene of the attack.

Several “items of concern” were also found inside the SUV used as an escape vehicle, he said, and authorities were working to determine whether any were explosive as well.

“Is this a terrorist incident? We do not know,” David Bowditch, assistant director of the FBI’s Los Angeles field office, told The Times. Terrorism has not been ruled out, he said later.

The young, bearded Farook was quiet, polite and well-liked by his colleagues. He had recently traveled to Saudi Arabia and returned “with a woman he met online,” according to co-workers questioned by police. The couple had a baby and appeared to be “living the American dream,” said fellow food inspector Patrick Baccari, quoted by the LA Times.

Farook worked for the county health department as a “health technician,” inspecting restaurants and hotels, according to his father, who spoke with the New York Daily News.

Public records show Farook worked for the county health department as an “environmental health specialist,” earning a salary of $51,000 per year.

During a conference held late Wednesday night the Council on Islamic Relations in Anaheim condemned the attack. “The Muslim community stands shoulder to shoulder with our fellow Americans in repudiating any twisted mindset that would claim to justify such sickening acts of violence,” the group said in its statement.

At that news conference, Farook’s brother-in-law, Farhan Khan, expressed shock at the news. “I have no idea why he would do that,” he said. “Why would he do something like that? I have no idea. I’m in shock myself.”

Hana Levi Julian

Saudi Prince Accused of Threatening and Sexually Assaulting LA Women

Tuesday, October 27th, 2015

A Saudi Arabia prince allegedly sexually assaulted and threatened three housekeepers in his Beverly Hills, California mansion.

The victims have filed a lawsuit against 29-year-old Majed Abdulaziz Al Saud, and their lawyer is looking for more alleged victims.

The alleged threats and assaults occurred in September, and Al Saud was arrested for alleged indecent acts during a cocaine party.

The official complaint charges him with having told one woman:

Tomorrow I will have a party with you and you will do everything I want otherwise I will kill you.

He is accused of having said to another woman, who  charged that she was kicked:

You’re not a woman! You’re nobody! I’m a prince and I’ll do what I want and nobody will do anything to me,” he allegedly said and later kicked her violently above her knee, according to the complaint.

The women’s lawyer told The New York Daily News:

Al Saud has violently threatened and sexually assaulted his employees and publicly shamed these innocent women in the public eye. This is yet another example of the use of gross wealth and power to exert emotional and physical abuse on those more vulnerable

In a separate incident, another Saudi prince flying in his private plane was detained at the Beirut International Airport for allegedly  “attempting to smuggle about two tons of Captagon pills and some cocaine.” Captgon is a stimulant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

American and Canadian Jews Flying on Aliyah in Face of Terror

Tuesday, October 13th, 2015

Sixty-five Jews from 13 states and Quebec, Canada are scheduled to set foot on their home around 7 a.m. Wednesday.

The Nefesh B’Nefesh Aliyah flight will carry passengers whose ages range from 10 months to 83 years, along with five men and women volunteering in the Israel Defense Forces as “lone soldiers” without family in Israel.

The new olim are from Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, New York, New Jersey, Illinois and Maine, Maryland, Ohio and Quebec.

Nefesh B’Nefesh Co-Founder and Executive Director Rabbi Yehoshua Fass said:

We are truly inspired that despite the extremely difficult times Israel is currently experiencing, Olim are undeterred and are still making Aliyah.

Their choice to leave a comfortable life and move to Israel, and even more so in these times, is an important contribution to Israel’s strength and national morale. We are proud to accompany each immigrant through the Aliyah process and will use all means at our disposal to ensure their successful absorption and acclimatization to Israeli society.

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

Second Democrat in Congress Announces Rejection of Iran Deal

Friday, July 31st, 2015

Congressman Juan Vargas, a centrist Democrat from California, is the second of the President’s party to come out publicly against the Iran Deal.

Vargas represents the 51st District of California, based in South San Diego county, which spans the entire California-Mexico border.

The parents of Cong. Vargas both immigrated to the United States from Mexico. The Congressman was raised on a chicken ranch. He attended the University of San Diego on a scholarship, and graduated from Harvard Law School in 1991.

On Thursday, July 30, Vargas announced his decision to vote against the Iran deal, in an op-ed which appeared in the San Diego Tribune.

Vargas opposes the nuclear deal made with Iran by the United States and its P5+1 partners because he believes it will fail to prevent the Islamic State of Iran from becoming a nuclear threshold state.

“The deal fails to dismantle Iran’s nuclear program. It fails to guarantee intrusive enough inspections to ensure that Iran does not cheat, and it fails to keep Iran from achieving nuclear-threshold status.”

Vargas explained that he believes the deal will spur a nuclear arms race in the Middle East, and that the $150 billion in sanctions relief Iran will receive is a payday which will do nothing to prevent it from continuing to be the world’s greatest sponsor of terrorism.

The California Democrat also quoted the leader of the terrorist group Hezbollah, who said about the deal, “Iran will become `richer and wealthier and will also become more influential. This will also reinforce the position of its allies.’” Vargas added, “thanks to Iranian generosity, this terrorist group has 100,000 rockets trained on Israeli cities and towns.”

Vargas is the second Congressional Democrat, following New York’s Rep. Grace Meng, to announce an intention to break with President Barak Obama and vote against the Iran deal.

Lori Lowenthal Marcus

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/second-democrat-in-congress-announces-rejection-of-iran-deal/2015/07/31/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: