web analytics
December 5, 2016 / 5 Kislev, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘Cambridge.’

Jewish Students Accuse Cambridge of Brushing Anti-Semitic Attack Under the Carpet

Sunday, November 27th, 2016

Three Jewish students at Cambridge University walked into the school’s Graduate Union building, to find it was full of members from the sports societies from Christ’s College, who had rented out the bar area, according to a report in The Telegraph.

After walking in, the three Jewish men saw it was a closed party and tried to walk out, but were accosted by the mob, who, after noticing their Kippot, began cursing and violently beating them.

At least seven people took part in the beating.

Shlomo Roiter-Jesner described to The Telegraph what was yelled at them,

“We, and other bystanders, heard a number of vicious anti-Semitic slurs including ‘f—— Jew, you don’t belong here’, ‘dirty Jew’ and to myself, ‘f— off, darkie’.

The college reports that two students were disciplined though the two denied initiating the violence or using anti-Semitic language, only foul language.

There was an audio-less CCTV recording of the attack.

The Jewish students are accusing the college of covering up the attack and failing to investigate it properly.

Professor Jane Stapleton, master of Christ’s College, told the Telegraph, “I reject categorically that Christ’s has engaged in a cover-up on this matter.”

Jewish Press News Briefs

Graduation Gift: York Jewish Student Awarded £1,000 for Suffering from Anti-Semitism

Sunday, July 3rd, 2016

Zachary Confino, 21, a Jewish third year Law student and president of the Union of Jewish Students at York University in the UK, received an apology and payment of £1,000 from the University of York Students’ Union after two years of battling anti-Semitism from students while studying at the university, The Telegraph reported.

Although the nature of the anti-Semitic abuse is not specified in the apology, the report says that “It is understood that Mr Confino, who narrowly missed out on a first class degree and had suffered with stress, had been racially abused and bullied.”

A spokesperson for the University of York said in a statement, “The University of York acted as mediator to resolve a long-running complaint brought by a student against the University of York Students’ Union. This involved an apology by the Students’ Union to the student and a token payment of £1,000.”

Joint statements had been signed with both the Jewish Society and the Islamic Society on campus.

Confino’s experience caught the attention of the former Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, who called on government to intervene to stop the rise of “poisonous hate” on campuses. In a letter to Confino, Lord Williams said he had written to Jo Johnson, the universities minister, because of the “muted” official response so far to rising anti-Semitic behavior. Williams described anti-Semitic incidents in a growing number of universities, including Oxford, Cambridge, the London School of Economics and York.

Williams added: “Anyone concerned (as I am) about Islamophobia here and elsewhere needs to be scrupulously alert to the risk of scapegoating and demonizing other religious communities, especially Jews; and anyone with even the least bit of historical sense ought to hear the echoes of past bigotry and violence towards Jewish people in Europe.”

The former Archbishop of Canterbury also said he was “dispirited” by the failure of Christian chaplains at York to support Mr Confino. “You’d expect a more simply empathetic engagement,” he wrote.

Zachary reported that one York student posting on Facebook compared Israelis to Nazis, but when he raised this with the Students Union, he was told that there was nothing the Union could do. Zachary says he has received hateful anonymous messages online, as have other Jewish students. One message said, “Hitler was onto something.” He has been called a “Stupid Israeli [expletive]” and a “Jewish [expletive].”

Zachary told The Tab that the attacks on him escalated about five months ago, after he had launched a campaign against a play put on by the Palestinian Solidarity Society. According to Zachary, his communications with the Students Union bordered on the absurd: “We entered into a debate on what is and what isn’t anti-Semitism with people who clearly don’t understand what Jewish hate is,” he said. “It’s adding insult to injury. I’m experiencing anti-Semitism and then getting told it isn’t anti-Semitism.”

JNi.Media

Breaking: Bomb Threats Lock Down 8 Schools Northern New Jersey

Wednesday, April 13th, 2016

Students in several northern New Jersey high schools were forced to leave their classrooms due to a bomb threat Wednesday.

Bomb threats were reported Wednesday at eight schools in New Jersey, according to local media. North Jersey schools received bomb threats in an automated call on Wednesday morning, according to the NorthJersey.com website. Not all were in session: some are on spring break this week.

New Jersey has received threats several times before; in January 11 schools received robo-call messages routed through California that made references to explosives or mass shootings.

Among the schools targeted Wednesday morning were Fair Lawn High School (spring break); Midland Park Junior/Senior High School (in session); Hawthorne High School (in session); Lodi High School (in session), Paramus High School (in session), Dwight Morrow High School in Paramus (spring break) and Passaic Valley High School in Little Falls (in session).

The threats came a day after a presentation at Passaic High School warning students about the consequences of calling in fake threats. There have been eight bomb threats called in to that school so far this year. Wednesday was not one of those days, however: on Tuesday, sappers from the Passaic County Sheriff’s office met with half of the school, and were scheduled to meet with more students on Wednesday.

Schools in Bergen and Passaic counties have been targeted with bomb threats in recent months as well.

Last month classes were interrupted in nine Bergen County districts after schools received bomb threats that turned out to be fake. At least one school was evacuated and several others received “shelter in place” orders. In February five New Jersey schools received bomb threats and at least two were evacuated.

There’s been a rash of bomb threats robocalled into dozens of schools in the eastern United States this week, closing classes and forcing authorities to evacuate schools. Some schools were located as far west as Indiana.

Several schools in Massachusetts also received bomb threats this week. On Monday (April 11), State Police spokesperson David Procopio said “numerous “ threats were received at schools in Hudson, Hopkinton, and Leominster. Cambridge, Marlboro and Brookline high schools also received automated robo-call bomb threats. The schools were evacuated and police swept the buildings. Melrose high school and middle school were also threatened, and faced a temporary “shelter in place” order.

A similar string of robo-call bomb threats were recorded on voice mail in Lake County, Indiana Monday night, prompting the closure of nine schools in Lake County, Indiana for Tuesday. But by the afternoon an unidentified suspect was in custody. The school superintendent said in a statement released later in the day, “It is important to share with everyone that the individual who is in custody did not have the capacity to carry out the threats that were made on the 911 calls.”

Hana Levi Julian

UPDATED Harvard Exams Interrupted by Bomb Threat

Monday, December 16th, 2013

SEE UPDATE AT END OF ARTICLE

At 9:02 Monday morning, Dec. 16, Harvard University students were gearing up for exams when students received a university alert that a bomb threat had been received. Students were instructed to immediately evacuate four university buildings: Emerson Hall, Thayer Hall and Sever Hall, as well as the Science Center.

Harvard University Police Department received an email tip that bombs had been placed in those four buildings.  The Harvard Police contacted the Cambridge Police Department and state and local explosives experts were called in.

Exams were cancelled, police and bomb squads arrived on campus, exams in those buildings were cancelled and the famous Harvard Yard was closed down.

By 11:00, three of the buildings had been combed and no explosives were found.  Afternoon exams resumed in the affected buildings other than in the Science Center, which was the last building searched.

Within six hours of the initial email alert, all four buildings had been combed and declared explosives-free.  Cancelled exams were already being rescheduled, and life returned to normal (for exam week) at Harvard.

UPDATE: A Harvard sophomore has admitted that he was responsible for emailing the bomb threats to Harvard University police on Monday morning.  Eldo Kim, 20, confessed to sending the fake bomb threats and has been charged with making a false threat about an explosive device, 18 USC § 1038(a).

Kim attempted to disguise his identity by using various anonymizing internet applications, but his personal email was tracked as having accessed one of those applications.

According to an affidavit signed by an FBI agent, Kim admitted sending the threats, and said that he acted alone. Kim told law enforcement personnel that he engaged in the ruse because he wanted to avoid a final exam given in one of the buildings he identified as possibly having a bomb.

Kim could face a maximum of five years in prison and a fine of $25,000.

Lori Lowenthal Marcus

One Boston Marathon Suspects Killed, Another Apprehended

Friday, April 19th, 2013

UPDATES BELOW

This article is being updated in realtime as information becomes available. 

Overview:

An MIT campus police officer was shot multiple times and killed on Thursday night. The shooting occurred around 10:30PM near Vasser and Main street (The Stata Building #32). The officer was taken to Massachusetts General, where he died of his wounds.

At 1:15 AM Boston time, there was an additional report of a carjacking, gunfire, and explosions, including grenades in Watertown, Boston. It is not clear if the two events are related.

Homeland security vehicles and heavily armed security personnel are in Watertown, according to  The Boston Channel.

Police are asking all people near MIT to stay indoors.

Police are currently searching for suspects. Police stay there are undetonated explosives in the area. They’ve asked people in the area  to turn off their cellphones due to fear of cellphone connected bombs.

Police are chasing after Mercedes SUV.

 

Updates: (Latest first)

8:24 AM Boston time – Dr. David Shoenfeld, a surgeon from Watertown went to Beth Israel hospital in early morning after hearing the shooting, and ended up as the doctor who treated the suspected terrorist who died. Suspects brother also ran him over.

8:11 AM Boston time – Suspects also have an older sister and brother.

8:01 AM Boston time Search may take hours. Entire city of Boston has been asked to stay indoors. Manhunt expanding.

7:52 AM Boston time Marathon bombers are believed to have arrived in the US with their family in 2002-2003

7:52 AM Boston time First suspect is ID’ed as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 22 (dead)

7:40 AM Boston time – Suspects may be brothers.

7:28 AM Boston time – Suspects lived in Turkey and Kazakhstan before coming to US.

7:06 AM Boston time – Police say Suspects had paramilitary training.

 6:50 AM Boston time – AP reports that the name of second suspect identified as “Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev”, a  19 year old foreign national living in Cambridge, possibly from Chechnya.

5:55 AM Boston time – Police leaving the house.

5:54 AM Boston time – Police entering home on Dexter Street with guns drawn, when no response received in door to door search.

5:49 AM Boston time – Boston police lock down towns around Watertown. All business are to remain closed while manhunt for Suspect #2 continues.

5:45 AM Boston time  Boston public transit has been shut down as a safety measure.

5:37 AM Boston time  Watertown residents still locked down as police look for suspect #2

 4:17 AM Boston time – Live police conference reviewing the events of the evening. One policeman was seriously injured in the earlier shootout. Police warn residents to not open doors, and drivers to not let anyone into their cars.

4:04 AM Boston time – Boston Police Commissioner confirms that Boston Marathon Suspect #1 is Dead. Search is on for Suspect #2.

 3:59 AM Boston time – Boston TV reports that Marathon Suspect #1 is dead and suspect #2 is still at large.

3:58 AM Boston time – Police will be doing a series of controlled explosions. Air horn will blow before explosion to prepare residents.

3:04 AM Boston time – Unofficially police have told pedestrians in Watertown that there are  “explosive everywhere” including grenades.

3:02 AM Boston time – Police confirm that only 1 suspect is in custody in Watertown. They are examining connection to Marathon bombing.

2:57 AM Boston time – Police confirm that MIT and Watertown events are connected.

2:49 AM Boston time – Boston Globe says one Boston Marathon suspect is now in custody. Twitter feeds saying second suspect also captured. This has not yet been confirmed by the FBI or the police.

2:21 AM Boston time – Police still searching in Watertown, but the event seems to be winding down.

2:15 AM Boston time – Watertown residents still told to stay indoors.

2:05 AM Boston time – MIT tells faculty/student body that the campus is now safe.

1:58 AM Boston time – 3rd suspect has been released and is not a suspect.

1:56 AM Boston time – Bomb disposal robot onsite in Watertown.

1:51 AM Boston time – Boston Channel in talking to residents report that police spoke with a person who had been in the carjacked vehicle and got away from the carjackers.

1:44 AM Boston time – Police are currently arresting third suspicious person right now in Watertown.

1:43 AM Boston time – Residents report seeing a lightly injured policeman taken away by ambulance. Police are doing searches in the area.

1:37 AM Boston time – Residents in Watertown hear explosion from a controlled explosion.

1:34 AM Boston time – Police are still looking for an “active shooter”, but it is not clear where.

1:30 AM Boston time: Unconfirmed reports are that police now have 2 suspects in custody in Watertown, but it is not known if they are connected to the MIT shooting. One suspect has been taken to a hospital.

 

 

 

 

Jewish Press News Briefs

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/mit-guard-killed-shooting-and-explosions-in-watertown-boston/2013/04/19/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: