web analytics
July 24, 2016 / 18 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Catholic Church’

Vatican invites Exorcist Director William Friedkin to Meet a Real Dybbuk

Thursday, May 19th, 2016

Jewish American filmmaker William Friedkin, 80, who directed the truly terrifying 1973 horror movie “The Exorcist,” this week told an audience at the Cannes film festival that he was invited by the Vatican’s chief exorcist to film a real exorcism earlier this month, AFP and The Local reported.

“The Exorcist,” named the scariest film of all time by multiple critics, including Roger Ebert  and Stanley Kauffmann, became one of the highest-earning films of all time, grossing more than $441 million worldwide, and was the first horror film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.

A scene from The Exorcist

A scene from The Exorcist

Friedkin, who was born in August 1935 in Chicago, Illinois, the son of Jewish immigrants from Ukraine, told the Cannes audience at a late night masterclass, “I was invited by the Vatican exorcist to shoot and video an actual exorcism which… few people have ever seen and which nobody has ever photographed,” and, he insisted, was very similar to his own film. “I was pretty astonished by that. I don’t think I will ever be the same having seen this astonishing thing. I am not talking about some cult, I am talking about an exorcism by the Catholic Church in Rome,” he said.

“There must be something in there,” said Friedkin, who also made “The French Connection,” “Sorcerer,” “Cruising,” “To Live and Die in L.A.,” “Jade,” “Rules of Engagement,” “The Hunted,” “Bug,” and “Killer Joe.”

The late Rabbi Elyah Lopian, one of the leaders of the Mussar Movement in late 19th century eastern Europe, related to his students that Rabbi Israel Meir Kagan, the Chofetz Chaim, sent ten of his students in Radin, Poland, to exorcise a dybbuk from a woman. Rabbi Elhanan Wasserman would repeat the story every Purim. If you’re seeking confirmation of the fact that great Orthodox rabbis also performed exorcism, kindly check A Dybbuk Story.

JNi.Media

Catholic Students Taunt Newton Fans ‘You Killed Jesus!’

Sunday, March 13th, 2016

It started with the kids from Newton, Massachusetts who chanted “Where are your girls?” to fans of the Catholic Memorial School basketball team, which came from an all-boys’ school.

The Catholic team was playing against the team from Newton North High School, and fans of the “away” team came back with their own taunt.

“You killed Jesus! You killed Jesus!”

The anti-Semitic chant came just 24 hours after Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley called for Catholics and Jews to build a “civilization of love” together in a speech at Newton’s Temple Emanuel.

The Cardinal was invited to speak to mark the 50th anniversary of Nostra Aetate, a proclamation from Pope Paul VI in 1965 that stated the Jews did not bear collective responsibility for the death of Jesus, and which repudiated anti-Semitism.

It is a seminal event about which the students of Catholic Memorial High School would have been expected to learn, if not to mark with their own events in the classrooms.

And yet, “You killed Jesus!” rang forth from the stands not 24 hours later.

Anti-Semitism in the community is still fresh in the minds of residents after the third incident in less than a year took place at the F.A. Day Middle School earlier in the month. “Burn the Jews” was scrawled on the wall of the boys’ bathroom in the school, as it had been last October. In January, a swastika was discovered imprinted in the snow just off school grounds.

Many of the students from Newton are Jewish. The chant was entirely unexpected and shocking, according to the Boston Globe.

The Newton North basketball team was warming up at the time and so did not hear what was happening; they only found out when parents informed their children after the game.

Newton North High students in the stands, however, were silent and angry. So were their shaken parents who grimly confronted school superintendent David Fleishman when he arrived a few minutes later.

Fleishman told the Globe he found the incident “chilling” and in his mind, “incredibly upsetting and troubling.” He added that “they have a lot of work to do at Catholic Memorial.” But also on his agenda will be the Newton students’ use of language about male anatomy and their own offensive behavior.

Wisely, he called the Anti-Defamation League about the incident and planned to discuss the experience with the students at school on Monday. In response, New England regional director Robert Trestan expressed the agency’s interest in working with “both schools to make sure this doesn’t become a lost opportunity. This incident is a reminder that we still have a lot of work to do, and we need to do it together.”

The Archdiocese also said in a statement on Saturday the chant was “unacceptable” and the incident an opportunity for “an important learning experience” for the students. “We stand ready to assist Catholic Memorial in providing the student body with the awareness education that is needed to ensure that there is no recurrence of these actions or attitudes,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, Catholic Memorial President Peter F. Folan said in a statement Saturday, “Catholic Memorial School is deeply disturbed the behavior of a group of student spectators who made an unacceptable chant Friday night while playing Newton North High School. Catholic Memorial School believes deeply that intolerance, of any kind, is unacceptable. We apologize for the actions of our students and we will continue to strenuously address this issue within our community.”

However, a Newton resident who was present at the game told the Globe on condition of anonymity that the chant sounded pre-planned. The resident said Catholic Memorial administrators and parents who were at the game did not hurry to try and halt the chanting. The president could have cleared the stands or made an announcement condemning the slur because the game had not yet started, the resident pointed out – but he chose not to.

Hana Levi Julian

Vatican Says ‘Jews Don’t Need Conversion’

Friday, December 11th, 2015

Jews do not need to be converted, and the Catholic Church “does not question the continued love of God for the chosen people of Israel,” the Vatican said Thursday.

The news came in a 10,000-word document released by the Holy See that says Jews do not need to be converted. Moreover, it says, the only way for Catholics to understand their own faith is to view Jesus within the Jewish context of his time.

Entitled “The Gifts and Calling of God are Irrevocable,” the document calls on Jews and Christians to work together to make the world a better place.

“While affirming salvation through an explicit or even implicit faith in Christ, the Church does not question the continued love of God for the chosen people of Israel,” the document states.

“That the Jews are participants in God’s salvation is theologically unquestionable, but how that can be possible without confessing Christ explicitly, is and remains an unfathomable divine mystery.”

The Church recommended that Jews and Catholics jointly combat all forms of anti-Semitism, and condemned the Nazi slaughter of Jews in World War II.

“History teaches us where even the slightest perceptible forms of anti-Semitism can lead: the human tragedy of the Shoah (using the Hebrew term for the Holocaust) in which two-thirds of European Jewry were annihilated.”

Drafted by the Vatican Commission for Religious Relations With Jews, the document also stated clearly that Catholics must refrain from active attempts to convert Jews.

“The Catholic Church neither conducts nor supports any specific institutional mission work directed towards Jews,” it says. Judaism “is not to be considered simply as another religion; the Jews are instead our elder brothers.”

The document cited the release 50 years ago of the Nostra Aetate — ‘In Our Times’ — that repudiated Jewish guilt in Jesus’ death.

“Judaism is not to be considered simply as another religion; the Jews are instead our ‘elder brothers’ (Saint Pope John Paul II), our ‘fathers in faith’ (Benedict XVI),” the document states.

“Jesus was a Jew, was at home in the Jewish tradition of his time, and was decisively shaped by this religious milieu (cf. ‘Ecclesia in Medio Oriente,’ 20). His first disciples gathered around him had the same heritage and were defined by the same Jewish tradition in their everyday life.”

Hana Levi Julian

Vatican Signs Treaty with ‘State of Palestine’ Proving Pope to be Fallible

Friday, June 26th, 2015

The Vatican signed a treaty with the “State of Palestine” on Friday.

It’s the first time the Pope used the phrase “State of Palestine” in an official document, proving once and for all that the Pope is completely fallible in his official capacity.

The treaty deals with aspects of life and activities of the Catholic Church in “Palestine.” It also recognizes PA control over eastern Jerusalem. (Huh?)

The PA’s signing an international treaty is a breach of the Oslo accords, which shows how much you can rely on any treaty the PA signs.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry expressed its regret at the Vatican’s decision.

Under Palestinian Authority rule, the number of Christians in PA controlled areas has dropped to less than 2% of the population. In Bethlehem, the number of Christians has dropped to below 20%, where once they made up 80% of the city.

According to the Vatican, the percentage of Christians in the PA has halved since the year 2000.

Many Christians have run away from the Palestinian Authority to pre-67 Israel, where they don’t face PA and Muslim persecution.

At most there are 50,000 Christians in Judea and Samaria and a mere 3000 remaining in Gaza.

The PA hides any official and accurate statistics.

Perhaps the Pope is concerned for the day when all the Christians run away from the “State of Palestine”, and then no one will be there to protect Christian holy sites, except this treaty.

Of course, if the Pope believes a treaty with the PA will protect Christians, he has a thing to learn about the PA and their keeping treaties.

On a related note, Khaled Abu Toameh reports that ISIS has vowed to expel Arab Christians from east Jerusalem by the end of Ramadan.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Reform Movement: Give J’lem Site to Church

Monday, May 12th, 2014

The former head of Israel’s Reform movement has called on the Israeli government to cede part of the David’s Tomb compount, located on Mount Zion, to the Catholic church.

“Rabbi” Uri Regev, the former director of the Israel Reform Action Committee and now the head of the Hiddush- Freedom of Religion for Israel NGO, said in a press release that ceding control of the Last Supper Room, located one floor above the site that many Jews believe is the burial spot of King David, could be a “forward looking gesture” that could give the Jewish People  ability “to move beyond past disputes and persecutions … experienced in specific Christian and Muslim communities throughout generations.

However, Mr Regev stopped short of making similar demands of the Vatican to return religious objects and manuscripts stolen from Jewish communities around Europe, beginning with the beginning of the Chrstian era nearly 2000 years ago. Instead, Regev said he “expects” the church to make “similar gestures towards the Jewish community, such as returning the Jewish cultural and religious treasures looted from Jewish communities throughout history that are now stored in the Vatican.”

The Vatican is believed to posses cups, gold, the Menorah and other vessels stolen from the Beit Hamikdash during the destruction of Jerusalem in the year 70. The church is also believed manuscripts writen by Maimonides and other medieval rabbinic authorities.

Church officials continue to deny researchers access to Vatican archives and storage vaults.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Hungary’s Jewish Community Marks 70th Anniversary of Nazi Invasion

Thursday, March 20th, 2014

The Hungarian Jewish community held a memorial event in front of the downtown Dohany Street Synagogue in Budapest Wednesday to mark the 70th anniversary of the occupation of Hungary by the Nazi-led German Army.

The event, sponsored by the Jewish community but open to the public, comes after representatives of Mazsihisz, the Association of Hungarian Jewish Communities, voted to boycott state-sponsored Holocaust memorial programs.

“This event is the beginning of Holocaust commemorations in Hungary for the 70th anniversary of the Hungarian Holocaust,” said András Heisler, president of Mazsihisz, the Federations of Hungarian Jewish Communities, in the opening speech of the event, which drew thousands.

“In the name of the 600,000 Hungarian Jews killed during the Shoah, we raise our voice against those, who are in power, in whom as a minority we cannot trust,” said Heisler, expressing the Hungarian Jewish community’s disappointment with the government, which it accuses of shifting away national responsibility for the murder of the country’s Jews during the Holocaust.

Viktor Orban, the Hungarian prime minister, was invited to the event, but did not attend; however, his deputy, Zsolt Semjén, was present. The head of the Hungarian Catholic Church, Cardinal Peter Erdő, and Gusztav Bölcskei, Bishop of the Protestant Church in Hungary, also attended the program.

Hungarian general elections are set for April 6.

“In solidarity with the Hungarian Jews, we are not accepting the relativization of the Holocaust, not accepting the denial of the Holocaust, and not accepting the culture of amnesia, of forgetting,” Israel’s ambassador to Hungary, Ilan Mor, said at the event.

Tags: Breaking News, Holocaust memorial program, Mazsihisz, Association of Hungarian Jewish Communities, Viktor Orban

 

JTA

Painting of Jews Murdering Christian Children to Go on Display

Tuesday, January 14th, 2014

A controversial 18-century painting depicting the ritual murder of Christian children by Jews, will be available to viewers in the cathedral of Sandomierz, Poland. The painting, “Mord Rytualny” or “Ritual Murder,” was painted by Charles de Prevot,

A plaque will be mounted next to the painting, which will inform viewers that the Jews did not actually commit ritual murder, because their faith prohibits it.

The painting has been mounted on the wall of the cathedral for many years, but has been hidden behind a red curtain because of its offensive nature.

The painting will go on display again on Thursday, as the Catholic Church marks its international Day of Judaism.

In the eighteenth century, Charles de Prevot painted a series of paintings, “Martyrologium Romanum,” depicting the martyrdom of Christians. These paintings show brutal and realistic scenes of tortured and murdered Christians by pagans. The painting depicting the ritual murder has been covered since 2006.

JTA

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/painting-of-jews-murdering-christian-children-to-go-on-display/2014/01/14/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: