web analytics
July 25, 2014 / 27 Tammuz, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge
 
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Cease Fire’

US Secy of State John Kerry in Israel, ‘Still Work to be Done’

Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry arrived Wednesday in Israel as part of his ongoing efforts to arrange a cease fire between Israel and Hamas terrorists.

Kerry had little to say to reporters, however, and was quite terse in his statement upon his arrival for a meeting in Jerusalem with United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

“We have certainly made some steps forward,” he said. “There is still work to be done.”

Report: Cease Fire Deal Reached in Cairo as Hamas Opens Fire

Thursday, July 17th, 2014

A cease fire deal was reportedly reached Thursday in Cairo, according to international media, among them Reuters, the BBC and AFP — but both sides are denying the reports.

There is conflicting information about the deal and Israeli officials claimed the reports are “incorrect.” Likewise, Hamas also denied to international media that any deal had been reached.

According to the reports, the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) represented Israel in the indirect negotiations with Hamas in Cairo. The cease fire is to take effect at 6 am Friday morning local time. If Hamas violates the truce, Israel warned it would retaliate immediately.

The Jewish State has yet to make good on such threats: two hours after the start of a humanitarian cease fire on Thursday, Hamas launched a barrage of mortar shells at southern Israel – and Israel did nothing in response.

Hamas terrorists were punctual in ending the humanitarian cease fire, which was scheduled to stop at 3 pm. A missile barrage was fired at the coastal city of Ashkelon and the community of Zikkim precisely at 2:59 pm local time. The rockets exploded in the Ashkelon coastal region, with impacts reported in open areas. No one was physically injured and no damage was reported.

The initial attack was quickly followed up by numerous others, most aimed at Ashkelon and at the Gaza Belt communities. A Grad missile was also launched at the Negev city of Be’er Sheva less than an hour after the “cease fire” had ended as well, exploding in an open area on the outskirts of the city.

Another rocket fell short, landed within the Gaza region. It is not known whether Arab civilians in the territory were wounded by the Hamas attack on their own people — and if so, whether women or children were killed in the explosion.

Bibi: Gaza Op to Continue, Intensify if Rockets Don’t Stop

Tuesday, July 15th, 2014

Israel will resume and ramp up attacks on Hamas infrastructure in Gaza if Hamas and allied terrorists do not cease firing rockets and missiles at Israeli civilians, Prime Minister Netanyahu warned Tuesday.

“If Hamas rejects the Egyptian proposal, and the rocket fire from Gaza does not cease — and that appears to be the case now — we are prepared to continue and intensify our operation to protect our people,” Netanyahu said.

Speaking to the press after a meeting with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, the prime minister noted that Israel’s security cabinet voted this morning to accept the Egyptian cease fire proposal and added that the goal of Israel’s military and diplomatic operations is to put end to rocket fire from Gaza on Israeli cities, in order to provide the citizens of Israel with the peace and quiet to which they are entitled.

“I know that you know that no country would sit idly by while its civilian population is subjected to terrorist rocket fire. Israel is no exception,” he said.

Netanyahu’s meeting with Steinmeier was part of a diplomatic offensive to garner international support for Israel’s current stance. The Israeli prime minister praised Steinmeier and called him “a great friend of Israel and an important statesman of Europe and the world,” and thanked him for visiting Israel during this time of crisis. Netanyahu also thanked “the many world leaders, including yourself, who unequivocally condemn Hamas for the rocket fire on Israeli cities and for the clear-cut support for Israel’s right to self-defense.

“In that spirit of friendship, welcome to Israel, welcome to Tel Aviv,” Netanyahu added.

More than 25 rockets were fired by Hamas at civilian targets all across Israel since 9 am, when the cease fire officially began Tuesday morning. No one was physically injured in the attacks, but damage was caused to property at several locations and numerous Israeli were severely traumatized, included several treated for shock.

Latest Israel Election Polls

Friday, November 23rd, 2012

The following poll result were reported on the Knesset TV Channel, after the Cease Fire announcement:

  • Likud: 33
  • Labor: 24
  • Bayit Yehudi:  13
  • Yesh Atid:  11
  • Shas: 10
  • Yahadut HaTorah:  6
  • Meretz:  6
  • Otzma LYisrael:  4 (Michael Ben-Ari and Aryeh Eldad)
  • Am Shalem: 3
  • Balad:  3

Atzmaut (Ehud Barak), and Kadima (Shaul Mofaz) don’t pass the minimum level of votes to get any seats.

Likud has dropped since before the Gaza operation, when they were between 40-43 seats.

Prime Minister Netanyahu’s Official Statement on the Cease Fire

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012

PM Netanyahu’s Statement at November 21 Press Conference with Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Defense – Operation Pillar of Defense – Cease-Fire

“Citizens of Israel,

Eight days ago, Israel embarked on operation Pillar of Defense. The Government decided to launch the operation after the frequency of the terror attacks originating from Gaza increased over the last few months. I announced that we would respond forcibly to these attacks when we see fit. I said that we would exact a heavy price from the terror organizations.

The terror organizations assumed that we would avoid offensive action against them; they were wrong. We hit their senior commanders, we destroyed thousands of rockets which were aimed towards the South and most of those aimed towards central Israel, and we crushed Hamas’ control facilities. I must say that we did this with the strong support of the leading authorities of the international community.

In particular, I wish to thank President Obama for his resolute support for Israel’s actions, for this operation and for Israel’s right to defend itself. I also thank him for supporting the Iron Dome systems. I thank Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, and express my gratitude to the Egyptians for their efforts in achieving this cease-fire.

In a phone call I had this evening with President Obama, I agreed with him that we should give the cease-fire a chance in order to enable a lull in the situation and allow for the citizens of Israel to return to routine. However, Israel obviously cannot sit idly while our enemy reinforces itself with weapons of terror. Therefore we decided, President Obama and myself, that the United States and Israel would work together to fight the smuggling of weapons to the terror organizations – weapons, virtually all of which come from Iran.

From the day the State of Israel was established, it has had to deal with complex challenges in the Middle East, and we can all see that these challenges have become even more complex in the last few years. Under these conditions we are required to navigate this ship, the State of Israel, wisely and responsibly while taking into account all considerations – military and political alike. This is what a responsible government does, and it is what we did here: we made use of our military might while applying political considerations.

Now, I realize that there are citizens who expect a harsher military action and we may very well need to do that. But at present, the right thing for the State of Israel is to exhaust this possibility of reaching a long-term cease-fire. As Prime Minister, I have the responsibility, and it is the highest responsibility, to make the right steps to ensure our security. That is what I have done and it is what I will continue to do. During the last week, Israel has lost several victims. On behalf of the entire population, I send condolences to the families, and wish the wounded a speedy recovery.

I would like to thank my colleagues, Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman. We worked together as a team, in full agreement. I also thank the Nine-Member Ministerial Forum, the Cabinet and the Government, for working – each in its field of responsibility – for the citizens of Israel. I also appreciate the factions of the Opposition and the factions in Knesset for standing with us and proclaiming their support. I thank the Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Benny Gantz, the Chief of Shin Bet, Yoram Cohen, the Director of the Mossad, Tamir Pardo, and all of their people for their exceptional efforts in reaching our accomplishments in Pillar of Defense. On behalf of the people of Israel, I thank the IDF commanders and soldiers, the pilots, the Iron Dome operators and developers, the members of the intelligence services, all the members of the security services and to the reservists, who left their families and immediately signed up for duty.

I appreciate the mayors and heads of regional councils for displaying leadership and level-headedness at the Home Front, and above all – I salute you, the citizens of Israel. We have a strong army; we have a strong people. I am proud to by your Prime Minister.”

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/prime-minister-netanyahus-official-statement-on-the-cease-fire/2012/11/22/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: