web analytics
October 27, 2016 / 25 Tishri, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘closure’

A Little Closure on an Unspeakable Tragedy

Tuesday, October 18th, 2016

On the anniversary of an event chilling even by Holocaust standards, the notorious Babyn Yar (“Babi Yar”) massacre that left an entire Jewish community dead or dying in a forest outside one of Ukraine’s largest cities – and under the noses of its remaining residents – a memorial ceremony was held at UN Headquarters, jointly hosted by Ukrainian Ambassador Volodymyr Yelchenko, US Ambassador Samantha Power, and Israeli Ambassador Danny Danon.

Ambassador Power shared eye-witness accounts. She described how victims, after being told to dress warmly and gather belongings, were marched beyond city limits to a nearby forest where they were instructed to leave their possessions in a pile and undress.

“The German soldiers then formed a gauntlet through which the Jews had to pass,” she told an audience made up mostly of members of the diplomatic community. Power described how naked men, women and children were whipped and beaten with sticks as they barreled through the human corridor, trying to fend off the blows with their hands.

“When they finally emerged they found themselves beside a deep ravine. Other groups of soldiers instructed them to either stand on the edge of the ravine, where they awaited their moment to be shot and tumble into the abyss, or to climb down and lay on top of already dead bodies, where they waited to be shot as bodies and dirt fell around them.”

Although the Nazis, and their collaborators, worked diligently and systematically from 10am to 6pm, they were not able to get through the tens of thousands of Jews in one day. “And so,” explained Power, “thousands more were locked in a warehouse overnight, left to contemplate their fate while the soldiers got a good night sleep, in order to be well rested for the job ahead tomorrow.”

Ambassador Danon thanked all who came to pay tribute, and conveyed the significance of the massacre. “The Jews of Kiev woke up in their homes on September 28, 1941. By the next day – Erev Yom Kippur of 1941 – 33,771 of them were dead or buried alive.” The events at Babyn Yar represented the first stage of the Holocaust explained Danon, “the deliberate, organized mass murder of six million Jews. Genocide.”

He invoked the words of a former Chief Rabbi of Israel, Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau. “Rabbi Lau believed that Babyn Yar was a test conducted by Hitler to see how the civilized world would react to such an event,” said Danon. “After all,” he continued, “it didn’t take place hidden away in a concentration camp.”

Ukrainian Ambassador Volodymyr Yelchenko also spoke at the ceremony, describing Babyn Yar as a dark point for Ukraine and for humanity.

In videotaped testimony, Babyn Yar survivor Raisa Dashekevich described how she ran naked through the gauntlet as fast as she could, clutching her baby in an attempt to shield him from being cut by a whip, all the while frantically looking for her own mother, who she’d become separated from in the chaos. She passed the last soldier in time to see her mother shot, then fall into the pit on top of other writhing bodies. Raisa held her baby jumped.

“People kept landing on us,” she recalled, “it became so dark and cold, there was so much weight on us. There was screaming, and dirt thrown over us, and terrible smells.” She remembers going in and out of consciousness, then at one point during the night, realizing her baby had gone cold. But Raisa couldn’t find any bullet holes. She realized that he hadn’t been shot, he had been crushed to death, most likely by herself. She left him there and climbed up through the layers of bodies out into the moonlight. She found her way, filthy and bloody, to a nearby farmhouse where she was saved by the kindness and bravery of the farmer’s wife.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko addressed the assembly through a recorded video message, saying that although Babyn Yar was primarily a tragedy for the Jews, it was a catastrophe for all mankind. “It remains one of the hardest memories and deepest wounds for our country,” said Poroshenko, “a reminder of the terrible price that can be paid for political shortsightedness.” In what may have been a veiled reference to Russian President Vladimir Putin, he added, “It is a reminder what can happen when you condone the aggression of paranoiac dictators.”

As the ceremony drew to a close with a short and somber chamber music concert, the audience was reminded that Jews weren’t the only victims of the infamous ravine. In all, over 150,000 people were murdered at Babyn Yar.

The evening dedicated to remembering ended with a final reminder by its hosts: Please. Don’t forget.

Stephanie Granot

Arab Villages Sealed Off by IDF After Rise in Terror

Thursday, September 22nd, 2016

IDF soldiers sealed off a number of Arab villages in Samaria on Wednesday in the wake of renewed terrorist activity in the area.

The entrances and exits to the villages of Einabus, Orif, and Baita, as well as the corridor to the village of Huwara were all closed off, according to local sources.

The Judean Arab village of Beit Omar was also sealed off later in the day.

Shortly after midnight Wednesday night, IDF soldiers entered the town of Deheishe, south of Bethlehem in Judea. Deheishe started out decades and generations ago as an Arab refugee camp, but today has a population of thousands, and all the appearances of any other Arab village or town.

Local sources in the Jerusalem Arab neighborhood of Shuafat reported three people were arrested there as well.

Hana Levi Julian

IDF Seals Off Arab Village of Bani Naim After Wave of Terror Attacks [video]

Saturday, September 17th, 2016

IDF forces have surrounded and sealed off the Palestinian Authority village of Bani Naim, located about five minutes south of Kiryat Arba in the wake of a terror attack committed by two of its residents. Only “humanitarian” cases are allowed to leave.

The move comes as part of the decision by the IDF to beef up its presence in the Hebron area after an escalation in terror attacks within 48 hours, three out of five of which took place in the city.

One of the attacks involved a vicious stabbing of an IDF soldier Saturday morning in Hebron.

The IDF deployed the Shimshon Battalion and the Kefir Brigade in Hebron. Brigadier-General Lior Carmeli, Commander of the Judea and Samaria Division, toured the locations of the terror attacks that took place in the area.

Bani Naim is the same village that was home to the terrorist who murdered 13-year-old Hallel Ariel, stabbing her to death in her bed after climbing in her bedroom window the morning after her school year ended.

Two terrorists carried out a vehicle ramming attack at Elias Junction entrance to Kiryat Arba just prior to the start of the Sabbath a few minutes before sundown on Friday.

IDF troops guarding the area shot the terrorists. The male terrorist was killed, the female terrorist was wounded and taken to the hospital. Three Israeli teenagers suffered minor physical injuries and major trauma; they had to be treated for both as a result of the attack.

The Elias junction is a hitchhiking post in Judea next to a Paz gas station on Highway 60.

Hana Levi Julian

Closure around Yatta Relaxed

Monday, June 13th, 2016

The Israeli political echelon has ordered a relaxation of the IDF closure around the Arab village of Yatta in southern Hebron, according to a Walla report.

Following the Sarona terror attack in Tel Aviv last week, the IDF set up an impermeable closure around the village where the two terrorists originated from. Yatta is known as a hotbed of Islamic terrorism. Last week the IDF demolished the home of Murad Idais in Yatta. Murad Idais murdered Daphna Meir (38) of Otniel in front of her children in a terror attack on January 17, 2016.

According to the new guidelines, residents of Yatta will be allowed to enter and leave following a security check, except for those residents between the ages of 15 and 25, who will not be allowed to exit the village.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Arab Violence Closes Temple Mount to Visitors Again

Thursday, April 17th, 2014

Israel Police closed access to the Temple Mount to Jews and other non-Muslims on Thursday due to Arab violence a day earlier, and a resulting threat to safety that might follow.

This, on the day that tens of thousands of Jews gathered below at the Western Wall plaza in the Old City of Jerusalem for the traditional Birkat Kohanimthe priestly blessing from Jerusalem. The benediction is pronounced during the morning service on the festivals of Passover and Sukkot.

The decision to close the site was made by security personnel following Arab violence at the Temple Mount on Wednesday. One police officer was wounded, as were 24 others. One of the wounded was listed in serious condition, and 15 sustained moderate injuries.

Nearly 100 young Arab rioters clashed with police in fierce battles at the holy site, hurling large rocks they have stockpiled in large caches at the Al Aqsa Mosque, where they barricaded themselves for protection.

The rioters also hurled firecrackers at the police from inside the Islamic house of worship, as security personnel used stun grenades and tear gas to force the mob further into the mosque.

The Arab strategy – designed to prevent Jews from ascending to the Temple Mount for any length of time — is very smart, taking advantage of the Israeli government policy of not allowing police to enter the mosque. The site itself is administered by the Islamic Waqf Authority; at this point, Israel has essentially ceded control to Arab Muslim officials.

Six Arab youths were reportedly arrested during the night and early Thursday morning in connection with the disturbances.

Ultimately, Israeli security officials told Channel 2 news on Wednesday they will have to force their way into the mosque to take away the caches of stone weapons, which are just as lethal as any bullet when properly aimed and hurled.

It is important to realize that the huge piles of rocks and slabs of stone with which the young terrorists are attacking Israeli security personnel, tourists and other visitors to the site, are being stockpiled with the  knowledge and consent of the Islamic clerics in charge of the mosque. Those clerics — and their actions — are fully backed and supported by the Arab leaders in the region, including King Abdullah II, the Hashemite monarch of Jordan.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/arab-violence-closes-temple-mount-to-visitors-again/2014/04/17/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: