web analytics
January 24, 2017 / 26 Tevet, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘Defense Ministry’

Israel: Access Road to New Arab City in Samaria Illegal

Saturday, January 14th, 2017

The Netanyahu government last week informed the Supreme Court it would be unable to permit the access route to the new Arab city of Rawabi in Samaria because it cuts through private plots in Area C (under full Israeli control), according to hearing of the rightwing NGO Regavim’s petition against the IDF Civil Administration, the Defense Ministry and the Rawabi corporation.

Rawabi (“The Hills”), located near Birzeit and Ramallah, is the first planned city built for and by Arabs in the PA, which is hailed as the “flagship” of a future Palestinian State. Construction began in January 2010, and by 2014 650 apartments were made available, for an estimated 3,000 residents On March 1, 2015, developer Bashar al-Masri announced that Israel would connect the city up to the Israeli-run water grid, making it possible for residents to move in.

Two years ago, Regavim appealed to the Supreme Court against the Civil Administration, the Ministry of Defense and the Rawabi company, concerning the Rawabi company’s land improvements and the construction and paving of a road in one of the city’s neighborhoods. The works were carried out in “Zligat,” an Arab city under Israeli control in the direction of the nearby Jewish community of Ateret.

According to Regavim, and the state, the access highway to the city of Rawabi was partly built on private land, without the owners’ consent. Following the discussion, the Court gave Rawabi six months to prove ownership of the land. The Rawabi company promised the court that the construction work would not be renewed until the approval of the company’s programs.

The State told the court that the Rawabi company has yet to complete the planning aspects of the road, and began to building it before obtaining a legal permit: “The documents submitted by [the Rawabi company] were examined by the Planning Bureau. The examination showed that the title is not sufficient to fulfill the requirements in this respect. Among other things, in view of the fact that some of the road is on regulated land [without] the owner’s consent in relation to the specific area.” The state also stated that “documents provided do not solve the problem proprietary.”

The Supreme Court will hear the case again in about ten days, and the state is on the record as suggesting the only ways for the Rawabi company to be able to complete the road would be to purchase the plots in question from the Arab owners or to get the IDF Civil Administration to expropriate the plots.

However, if the court now approves of the Civil Administration expropriating lands in Area C to serve an Arab settlement, it might find it difficult in the future to halt similar impounding that would favor Jewish settlements.

JNi.Media

Defense Ministry to Buy 200 Advanced Tactical Trucks From Oshkosh

Wednesday, January 11th, 2017

Israel’s Defense Ministry says it has closed a deal to purchase 200 advanced tactical trucks for the Israeli army from the Oshkosh Defense firm in Wisconsin.

The $200 million deal is to be paid for with Foreign Military Financing (FMF) grant aid funds, according to the ministry, and will include logistics and maintenance services that will take place in Israel.

The ministry announced Wednesday (Jan. 11) it will acquire the Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV) in a contract valued at $200 million. The agreement followed months of field testing on an initial set of six trucks to ensure they met Israeli requirements, according to Defense News.

The announcement included the information that the contract is likely to be followed by additional orders as the IDF Technology and Logistics division continues to replace its tactical truck fleet, which is nearly 60 years old.

“We’re talking about an initial deal, after which the defense establishment is expected to decide to acquire hundreds more trucks until our entire antiquated fleet is replaced,” the ministry said in its statement.

Delivery of the new trucks begins this year, according to Itzik Levy, deputy chief of purchasing for ground systems. The last truck is to arrive by mid-2018.

Hana Levi Julian

Israeli Security Cabinet Decrees Hamas Bodies Will Not Be Returned

Sunday, January 1st, 2017

Israel’s security cabinet has decided that the bodies of Hamas terrorists killed during attacks on Israelis won’t be returned to their families. Instead, they’ll be buried in a cemetery for enemy dead.

The cabinet made the decision during a special meeting Sunday in which officials discussed efforts to retrieve the bodies of IDF officers Hadar Goldin and Oron Shaul, the two soldiers who fell in Gaza while fighting during Operation Protective Edge in the summer of 2014. The bodies of both soldiers have been held by the Hamas terrorist organization ever since.

A statement issued by the Prime Minister’s Office later in the day said the cabinet worked on strategies to win release of the bodies of the two soldiers, as well as to win release of two other Israelis – Avraham (Abera) Mengistu and Hisham al-Sayed – with mental health issues who crossed the border into Gaza more than a year ago and are being held in the enclave.

The decision by the cabinet followed the release of a vicious video by Hamas this weekend, mocking Israel and the parents of one of the soldiers, with the music of a lullaby playing in the background.

The face of Hadar Goldin was Photoshopped by the terror group onto a terrorist portraying a prisoner.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s face was Photoshopped on to the image of a second terrorist dressed as a clown, depicted as a visitor to the prisoner who then blew out the candles on a birthday cake, throwing the entire screen into darkness.

Hadar Goldin was the nephew of former Defense Minister Moshe “Boogie” Ya’alon, who was serving as Defense Minister during Operation Protective Edge and who personally was tasked with informing Goldin’s family of the loss of their son. Ya’alon had also served in the past as IDF Chief of Staff.

Hana Levi Julian

Report: Frequent Injuries Force IDF to Ease Women’s Combat Requirements

Wednesday, December 21st, 2016

The IDF has decided to change the service terms and training of women in the four mixed-sex combat battalions, CarCal, Bardales, Lions of Jordan and a fourth one yet to be named – due to the numerous injuries and falls experienced by combat women, Army Radio reported Wednesday.

One change will be extending women’s boot camp training by two weeks, simply to give them a chance to keep up with the men.

Also, women on combat missions will be carrying only four magazines, compared with the standard issue of six. The reason cited is multiple stress fractures combat women have been suffering.

Army Radio also reported that the mixed battalions will be relocated to their own boot camp base, apart from the rest of the infantry’s training facilities.

Meanwhile, the IDF is losing its rationale for encouraging women to join combat units, cutting men’s compulsory service down from 36 to 32 months, instituted by former Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon (Likud). Ya’alon’s replacement, Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman (Yisrael Beiteinu), on Tuesday announced that the IDF has given up that plan – he wants Israeli men to go back to serving the full three years.

According to the IDF, the shorter service, instituted mostly for economic reasons, made it impossible for the army to both prepare its special forces adequately and take advantage of their active service that follows.

The Defense Ministry will start negotiations soon with the Finance Ministry, according to Liberman, to extend the service back to what it was.

David Israel

New Effort Overnight to Keep 24 Amona Families in their Homes

Sunday, December 18th, 2016

Following a 9-hour meeting at the Prime Minister’s office overnight Sunday, which included a 4-hour discussion by PM Netanyahu and Habayit Hayehudi Chairman Naftali Bennett, a new outline was submitted to the Amona community for a consenting evacuation – one week before the high court’s mandated date, and after the community had voted against an earlier proposed outline. Amona is expected to vote on the new outline by noon Sunday.

The new outline, according to Walla, was agreed on by Chairman of the Amona resistance Avihay Boaron, Amona Chief Rabbi Yair Frank, and Shomron Regional Council head Yossi Dagan, who has been involved in the negotiation efforts over the past two weeks. Boaron and Frank have already presented the newest outline to their fellow residents.

In addition to the new outline, 24, rather than 12 families originally, would be allowed to remain on lot 38 near Amona. Should the residents accept the proposed outline, the government would petition the court for an extra 30 days and work on lot 38 would start.

In addition to the new outline, the Netanyahu cabinet is expected to approve on Sunday morning an additional proposal to establish temporary housing in Ofra for the remaining Amona residents as well as nine Ofra families, and provide approximately $10.5 milion in monetary compensation to the evacuees. The Finance Ministry will provide $2.33 million for infrastructure and public buildings in the temporary section; and the Defense Ministry will add $1 million for renting lodging and public buildings for the interim period, until the new section is ready. Regional Council Mateh Binyamin will receive $3.88 million for “special expenses” in the interim period.

A meeting Saturday night of the Amona community and hundreds of activists who had arrived to help stop the Dec. 25 evacuation was dedicated to the locals’ commitment to avoid at all cost any violent interaction with security forces.

Meanwhile, IDF soldiers have been adamant in expressing their objection to being used to evict Jews from their homes. According to Walla, on Saturday night fighters of the Tzabar battalion of the Givati Brigade left their post in protest and then returned to their routine duties.

The IDF Spokesman’s office released a statement condemning disobedience in its ranks and reassuring soldiers and the public that the first wave of attack in the evacuation of Amona will consist of police.

David Israel

Azerbaijan Signs Deal With Israel on Iron Dome

Sunday, December 18th, 2016

Azerbaijan’s Minister of Defense Industry Javer Jamalov told the Azeri Press Agency (APA) on Saturday his government has reached an agreement with Israel to purchase the Iron Dome anti-missile defense system.

The Iron Dome system, developed by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and Israel Aircraft Industries, is designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets and artillery shells, fired from a distance of four to 70 kilometers. The system is activated when the trajectory of the incoming projectile is headed toward a populated area.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, for a visit this past week with his wife Sara. The prime minister met with President Ilham Aliyev, who announced to reporters at the time that his government has spent some $4.8 billion in contracts with Israel over the past two decades on the purchase of defense equipment.

During Netanyahu’s visit to the country, agreements were signed in the fields of standardization, double taxation, agricultural cooperation and the establishment of a mixed commission on advancing bilateral cooperation on economic matters, science, technology, health, agriculture and trade.

Hana Levi Julian

‘From Uniform to Studies’ IDF Program Kicks Off

Thursday, November 3rd, 2016

This week the IDF and Defense Ministry kicked off a new plan to pay two-thirds of a veteran’s tuition at college or university after he or she completes military service.

The new project is called “From Uniform to Studies” and is geared for now to soldiers in combat units from special backgrounds, specifically those who are new immigrants, lone soldiers and those from minority populations.

The IDF plans to eventually expand the program to include veterans from non-combat units as well.

The program is modeled after the U.S. ‘G-I Bill” that offered benefits to millions of American soldiers after World War II.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/from-uniform-to-studies-idf-program-kicks-off/2016/11/03/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: