Thousands of pro-Israel activists are expected to show up this afternoon (Sunday, March 13) at a national rally for peace organized by North West Friends of Israel (NWFOI).
Scheduled for 2 pm at the Palace Theater in south Manchester, the theme of the rally is “Say No To Terror: Say Yes to Peace.”
Poster promoting the pro-Israel, anti-terrorism rally for peace in Manchester.
The rally has received support from grassroots groups around the UK but also from top leaders such as Britain’s Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis, the Jewish Leadership Council, the Israeli Embassy, and Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu himself.
Speakers expected to address the attendees include Conservative Friends of Israel chairman Sir Eric Pickles, Enfield North Member of Parliament Joan Ryan, Board of Deputies senior vice-president Richard Verber, and Zionist Federation chairman Paul Charney.
Rally co-chair Anthony Dennison told the British Jewish Chronicle that upon release of the location, reservations for the event “came through thick and fast.”
The event was originally set for January 31 but organizers were forced to reschedule when the site owners of the Sheridan Suite cancelled in response to “gross intimidation” from the anti-Semitic Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.
(JNi.media) UK home secretary Theresa May on Tuesday sounded a resounding warning yet that the mass immigration of past years can no longer be sustained without threatening the country’s cohesion. She declared that mass emigration will cause wage undercutting for low-paid workers, and force thousands out of employment.
May promised a massive crackdown on bogus refugees, according to the Evening Standard, saying that people who try to cheat the system would get only temporary asylum, but would have no right to settle down. May rejected the calls by European leaders for a quota of refugees for each member state declaring: “Not in a thousand years!”
Secretary May also promised tougher treatment of cheating asylum seekers try to sneak into the UK via Calais, France. “For the first time we’ll distinguish between vulnerable people resettled from their region and those who claim asylum after abusing the visa system or having traveled to get here through safe countries,” she said, adding, “If you’ve spurned the chance to seek protection elsewhere — but we cannot return you to that safe country and you still need refuge — you’ll get the minimum stay of protection and you won’t have an automatic right to settle here. But for those who really need it, we will offer a longer stay of protection. Humane for those who need our help, tough on those who abuse it.”
Speaking about the plight of Syrian refugees, May said: “2,000 miles away, in towns and cities across Syria, eleven million men, women and children have been forced from their homes. More than four million have become refugees. And nearly a quarter of a million have been killed.
“More than 600,000 Syrians are taking refuge in Jordan, a country that before the conflict had a population of little more than six million. There are more than one million finding respite in Lebanon, which previously had a population of just over four million. By the end of the year, the United Nations believes there will be a further 1.7 million Syrian refugees in Turkey.
“These people are fleeing a civil war that exceeds even the other conflicts of the Middle East in its barbarism, brutality and bloodshed. Bashar al Assad’s forces are committing war crimes on an industrial scale, deliberately targeting civilians and poisoning their own citizens with chemical weapons. ISIL – the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – is engaged in a programme of ethnic cleansing, mass murder of enemy soldiers, systematised rape and sexual violence, kidnappings and murder.
“And the other players in this appalling civil war include Hezbollah, Al Nusra Front – a jihadist group affiliated to Al Qaeda – and several other jihadist militias. These militias in turn are often backed by powerful foreign sponsors, and the forces of Bashar al Assad are supported by Iran and Russia – whose warplanes are engaged in airstrikes against civilians and anti-government fighters.
“So it is too simplistic to say that there is a single intervention which will bring a sudden end to the fighting. There is no easy solution to the civil war in Syria, and we must learn the lessons of the past.”
The solution, according to May, is not in accepting hordes of fleeing Syrians. Knowing there is no easy solution, she said, “does not mean Britain should do nothing. We must work to get the states that sponsor the different armies and militias around the negotiating table. We must do what we can to support friendly states and moderate elements within other states in the region. And – because of the clear threat they pose to Britain’s national security – we must take action against ISIL not just in Iraq but in Syria too.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife Sarah visit the National Library in London where they see the original Balfur Statement and one of Netanyahu’s father’s books, during their visit to England, on September 10, 2015.
Jews in Liverpool are bracing themselves to face a nasty round of ugly neo-Nazi hate with the ‘White Man March’ held on the Sabbath, courtesy of British law.
In fact, neo-Nazis all over the Twitterverse are salivating over the upcoming event. As the organizers themselves explained in a tweet:
White Man March UK @WhiteManMarchUK – Jun 6
We do not stand to oppose the colour of a man’s skin, we stand to oppose a sick Jewish ideological system @SmashCM79
Previous similar marches have been held as a platform for neo-Nazis to commit hate crimes in Britain, the Meyerside Jewish Representative Council noted in a petition to Chief Constable Sir Jon Murphy QPM of Meyerside Police.
The first ‘White Man March’ was held on March 21 of this year in Newcastle where neo-Nazis were “completely unopposed,” organizers bragged in a tweet. Footage of that event is self-explanatory.
Activists on the Twitter social networking site have been tweeting for nearly a month about the upcoming event.
“This march is a disgrace to the culture heritage of Liverpool and is a vehicle from which unnecessary violence could derive.” wrote one person today (Wednesday, August 12.)
“This is a march to incite racism. This kid has sent serious threats to our mayor and our city. Why hasn’t he been arrested?” asked another in a tweet, also posted today.
“I am a Christian minister and a supporter of Liverpool’s Jewish community,” tweeted a third.
But these voices of reason are being drowned out by the vicious anti-Semitism and racist garbage being fired across the Internet by neo-Nazi organizers and White Supremacists.
The Meyerside Jewish Representative Council asked the Chief Constable to exercise his powers under Section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986 to restrict the planned march.
Instead, the community activist group is asking Murphy to force the neo-Nazis to hold their demonstration at a location away from major thoroughfares and residential areas, for a short time and restricted to a small number of participants.
In addition, the Jewish group has called on Meyerside Police and the Liverpool City Council to apply for an injunction against the neo-Nazi event under Part 1 of the Anti-Social Behavior, Crime and Policing Act 2014.
They are hoping to ban the organizers and speakers for the planned march from making or causing to be made or distributing any statement or image likely to cause harassment, alarm and distress; and holding any kind of public assembly within two hundred meters of a synagogue, Jewish cemetery, or Jewish community or cultural center.
The march, organized by Wayne Jarvis of Castleford, is backed by the far-right National Action (NA. Also supporting the march are other racist) and anti-Semitic groups, including the North West Infidels (NWI), the Misanthropic Division and the National Front.
An equally active “Stop the Nazi ‘White Man’ March” movement is organized on Facebook and is urging members to retweet and share posts until gathering at 11am at William Brown Street in Liverpool, an hour before the scheduled start of the neo-Nazi march.
Anti-Semitism in the United Kingdom has more than doubled over the past year, according to figures gathered by the Community Security Trust. (CST)
When the incidents were broken down by category, the highest spike was seen in abusive behavior, which nearly tripled since 2004, but which more than doubled from 2013 to 2014 – a total of 884 incidents last year alone.
In fact, incidents of damage and desecration nearly doubled; the number of assaults were up by 25 percent and the number of threats (92) increased by 142 percent. The highest spike was in anti-Semitic literature, which was six times higher in 2014 than in 2013.
The greatest rise in incidents recorded by the CST in its annual report occurred in London (583) and Manchester (309) in northern England. Included were 81 violent assaults. One case involved a baseball bat and a glass.
Odd, and sad: in 2013, the same organization recorded its lowest number of anti-Semitic incidents for eight years commented David Conn, a commentator for The Guardian.
Home Secretary (interior minister) Theresa May called the statistics “deeply concerning,” according to Reuters.
Prime Minister David Cameron had already told parliament last Wednesday, “We need to do everything we can to help this community feel safe and secure in our country… I would hate it for British Jews not to feel that they have a home here in Britain – safe, secure and a vital part of our community.”
Really? Seriously? How perfectly splendid. But perhaps Cameron should give this a teensy bit more consideration: after all, even his fellow MP Ed Miliband is being targeted. Where does it end?
British MP Ed Miliband is not excluded from being targeted on Twitter by local anti-Semites, regardless of his liberal views. This post was uploaded quite recently.
It is no surprise to any thinking individual that a survey last month found that 25 percent of Britain’s Jews have spent the past two years mulling the prospect of leaving the UK for good. The survey, conducted online by the Campaign Against Anti-Semitism, found that 56 percent of Jewish people in the UK believe anti-Semitism now “echoes the 1930s.” More to the point, 58 percent said they believe Jews have “no long-term future in Europe.”
Holocaust denial is not unusual among anti-Semites although some validate the genocide and in fact praise it, saying Hitler “didn’t finish the job.” In the case of this post to Twitter from the UK, it was the former.
Perhaps that’s not a bad idea. Last week a far-right neo-Nazi group announced plans to hold a march under the banner, “Liberate Stamford Hill” next month to protest “Jewification of Great Britain.” Stamford Hill is an area of London that is home to the highest concentration of Orthodox Jews in the country.
The group, which also calls itself “Liberate Stamford Hill” has planned its rally for March 22 at 2pm local time in the Stamford Hill district. For obvious reasons, the CST has expressed concern.