web analytics
December 9, 2016 / 9 Kislev, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘escalation’

Arab Villages Sealed Off by IDF After Rise in Terror

Thursday, September 22nd, 2016

IDF soldiers sealed off a number of Arab villages in Samaria on Wednesday in the wake of renewed terrorist activity in the area.

The entrances and exits to the villages of Einabus, Orif, and Baita, as well as the corridor to the village of Huwara were all closed off, according to local sources.

The Judean Arab village of Beit Omar was also sealed off later in the day.

Shortly after midnight Wednesday night, IDF soldiers entered the town of Deheishe, south of Bethlehem in Judea. Deheishe started out decades and generations ago as an Arab refugee camp, but today has a population of thousands, and all the appearances of any other Arab village or town.

Local sources in the Jerusalem Arab neighborhood of Shuafat reported three people were arrested there as well.

Hana Levi Julian

Organization of Islamic Cooperation to Meet on Israeli ‘Escalation’ in Golan Heights

Sunday, April 24th, 2016

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) will meet Tuesday to discuss what is being called “the Israeli escalation against the occupied Syrian Golan.” The driving force behind the meeting was a request by Kuwait, which holds the rotating chair of the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers.

Kuwait wants the group to ‘take a unified and strong position… on the Israeli government’s [cabinet meeting] held in the occupied Syrian Golan” — that is, the government held its cabinet meeting last week for the first time on the Israeli Golan Heights, ruffling just about everyone’s feathers that day except those in Israel.

The Arab nation was likewise upset by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s remarks on that day, in which he stated “the Golan Heights will forever remain under Israeli sovereignty.”

This is not news to any Israeli — after all,the Golan was annexed to Israel decades ago, in 1981 – but the OIC considered the statement a provocation. A statement released by the Arab organization named it a “serious escalation and flagrant violation of the resolutions of international legitimacy and international law.”

In fact, every single bit of territory won by Israel in the 1967 Six Day war – a defensive, existential war for survival – is still in fact considered by the international community a violation of some resolution or regulation decided in the global forum.

Last Thursday a similar meeting was held by the Arab League, calling for a special criminal court to hold a session on Israel. European nations such as Germany joined the United States – Israel’s “best friend” – and Syria in their condemnation of Netanyahu’s statement.

The move by the U.S. was particularly odd, given that Netanyahu has been especially careful not to criticize President Barack Obama publicly in any way despite provocations by his staff.

For half a century, half of the Golan Heights has been a sovereign part of the State of Israel. Prime Minister Netanyahu simply reiterated the fact that it is not realistic nor sane to expect the state to return such a strategic territory to an enemy nation bent upon Israel’s destruction.

Hana Levi Julian

DM Ya’alon Says Israel is Prepared for Escalation in Terror Attacks

Monday, November 30th, 2015

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon told the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee at a meeting on Monday that the IDF is prepared to deal with an escalation in the current wave of terror.

“We haven’t seen any changes in the wave of terrorism,” Ya’alon said in remarks at the opening of the meeting. “It is mostly attacks by individuals. [But] the wave of terror is not subsiding, nor is it being curbed in any way.” He added that the IDF is prepared for an escalation in attacks.

Ya’alon repeated the remarks later in the day when visiting the IDF Induction Center at Tel Hashomer to mark the November draft, noting that there is “hardly a day without a terror attack.”

He went even farther at this briefing, telling reporters that he hoped “the Palestinian Authority gets a grip on itself.” The Defense Minister said he also hoped the PA would go beyond its recent steps of “controlling rioting on the ground, and start condemning the attacks, and cease the blood libels according to which we allegedly are executing those we kill with a knife in their hands, and [instead] they claim we plant the knife afterwards.”

Ya’alon underlined his concern about the PA government’s incitement, and support for Arab media incitement to carry out terror attacks. That incitement, he said, is continuing despite condemnation by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and others.

“I hope they start condemning these attacks. It threatens [the PA] and the survivability of the [Palestinian] Authority more than it does us.

“In the meantime, we are continuing to take many steps,” he added. “Our beefed-up forces are working day and night: carrying out arrests in certain areas and when an attack occurs, the place where it came from is closed, [whether it be a] village or neighborhood. Homes are prepared for demolition.”

Hana Levi Julian

Iron Dome Intercepts Rocket Over Kibbutz

Monday, July 7th, 2014

The Iron Dome anti-missile system intercepted a terrorist rocket over a kibbutz in southern Israel on Monday afternoon.

The rocket was one of two that were fired in a barrage by Gaza terrorists. The second exploded in an open area, where it caused no damage.

No one was physically injured, officials said, and the Color Red incoming rocket alert siren activated in time for all residents to reach their bomb shelters in time safely.

Since midnight, southern Israel has been attacked repeatedly. Gaza terrorists fired a Grad Katyusha attack at Be’er Sheva, a missile attack at the Ashkelon coastal region, numerous rockets at Sderot, the Sdot HaNegev Regional Council, the Eshkol Regional Council and Sha’ar HaNegev Regional Council and Netivot.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Peres Calls for End to Incitement, Respect for Law

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014

President Shimon Peres called Thursday for an end to incitement and respect for the rule of law.

“I call upon every citizen, all citizens, with a serious request,” Peres told reporters. “Now is a time for two things: To respect the law and to avoid incitement. We weren’t born to hate, we weren’t born to speak in a hateful language. A few days ago we all behaved as one with dignity, even during our sorrow but together we called for restraint, we called for investigation, we were careful with our words.

“It’s time to stop incitement, it’s time to be respectful and to respect the law. It’s in our hands. People who are engaged in incitement are not always aware where it can lead, to more sorrow, to more dangers. It’s time for all of us to show restraint, to show understanding and let us as human beings, all of us, be true to our morality, to our hope to live together in peace,” Peres said. 

Meir Halevi Siegel

Upping the Ante: 5 Russian Warships Enter the Mediterranean

Friday, May 17th, 2013

In its latest escalation of the international anxiety over the Syrian civil war, Russia announced on Thursday that a group of five warships from its Pacific Fleet have entered the Mediterranean sea to bolster a new regional task force, according to a fleet spokesman quoted on the state-owned news agency RIA Novosti.

“The task force has successfully passed through the Suez Canal and entered the Mediterranean. It is the first time in decades that Pacific Fleet warships enter this region,” Capt. First Rank Roman Martov said.

Novosti said the warships’ immediate destination was Limassol, on the island of Cyprus, where they will join Russia’s Mediterranean task force.

An official from the Russian Embassy in Beirut confirmed to the Daily Star of Lebanon that the ships were indeed in the Mediterranean, adding that it was merely a routine procedure.

First such routine procedure since 1992.

Russia maintains a military base in the port of Tartous, Syria.

Novosti said the vessels – including the destroyer Admiral Panteleyev, the amphibious warfare ships Peresvet and Admiral Nevelskoi, and a tanker and a tug – left the port of Vladivostok on March 19. The Russian plan to expand its naval presence near Syria was announced in April.

A permanent naval task force in the Mediterranean was needed to defend Russia’s interests in the region, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said in March.

It’s like the Cold War never ended.

According to Novosti, a senior Defense Ministry official said the Mediterranean task force’s command and control agencies will be based either in Novorossiysk, Russia, or in Sevastopol, Ukraine.

The U.S. Navy’s 6th Fleet maintains its own permanent presence in the Mediterranean.

Yori Yanover

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/upping-the-ante-5-russian-warships-enter-the-mediterranean/2013/05/17/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: