web analytics
September 2, 2015 / 18 Elul, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Eshkol’

ISIS-Linked Sinai Terrorists Attempt to Drag Israel Into War With Rocket Fire

Friday, July 3rd, 2015

Sinai terrorists — already engaged in battle with Egypt — expanded their range of attack on Friday to include southern Israel. At least one, possibly two rockets were launched in the direction of the Eshkol Regional Council district at about 4:30 pm local time.

The rocket fire followed two intense days of clashes between Da’esh (ISIS)-linked “Sinai Province” terrorists and top Egyptian security personnel from the army and police. The Gaza-based Hamas terror organization, spawned originally by the outlawed Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, was also found to have been helping Sinai Province in their battle, according to the IDF.

The jihadists ambushed the Egyptian forces in 15 separate locations on Wednesday using advanced weaponry, much of which appeared to have been produced by Russia. An Egyptian government spokesperson said more than 100 terrorists were killed in the battle, which continued into Thursday.

The IDF went to high alert along the southern border in the wake of the clashes. Highway 12, which traverses the southern Negev to Eilat, was officially closed to civilian traffic at 5 am Friday until further notice. “The highway was closed temporarily in line with the situation assessments, out of security considerations and the obligation to protect the citizens of Israel,” and IDF spokesperson said on Friday.

Israeli officials confirmed that one of the rockets fired on Friday landed in an open area in the district close to what was the Israeli-Egyptian border. IDF officials believe the rocket was fired from the Sinai Peninsula due to its proximity to the border.

Residents of Jewish communities near the Israel-Egypt border had a window of barely 15 seconds in which to race for shelter, courtesy of the Code Red rocket alert siren. The residents are maintaining their awareness for the duration, knowing they may once again need to make a run for their safe spaces over the Sabbath at any time.

Rocket Fire Returns to Southern Israel – Again!

Friday, December 19th, 2014

NYC, NY – Rocket fire returned to southern Israel on Friday, disrupting the Sabbath preparations of local residents again, despite initial attempts by government officials to keep the news from leaking out.

The IDF announced in the morning hours it was checking reports to see whether the activation of the Red Alert system had been a “false alarm.”

It was the third such event to occur in southern Israel in recent weeks. It follows by a few days the European Parliament’s decision to remove Hamas from the European Union’s list of foreign terror groups.

Gaza’s ruling Hamas terror organization has been test firing its rapidly improving arsenal of mortar shells, rockets and missiles into the Mediterranean for months.

By early afternoon, Israeli military officials announced that this time Gaza terrorists had, in fact, aimed their weapons directly at southern Israeli civilians. It was the first time since the end of the summer’s counter terror Operation Protective Edge the IDF had admitted a rocket landed within Israeli territory.

This is also the third time a rocket has been fired at southern Israel, and has exploded on the Israeli side of the border, since the end of this summer’s 50-day war.

The Red Alert siren was heard blaring through communities in the Eshkol Regional Council district, located less than 15 seconds away by rocket fire from the Gaza border.

The Qassam rocket itself exploded in an open area, where it caused no property damage and no physical injuries to local residents.

An Eshkol resident commented that people living in the area have been holding their breath for months, waiting for the “other shoe to drop,” so to speak.

“The war ended… but nothing was done to change the reality,” Anat Hefetz told Ynet. “For four months already nothing has been done to prevent this… No initiatve was taken. We left the area on the other side to be controlled by Hamas… There are always infiltrations, attempts to shoot rockets and ‘false alarms.’ It does not surprise us,” she said.

Weeks ago, it became clear that Hamas has also resumed its terrorist tunnel building activity as well. The organization was able to pull materials for the construction from the limited goods allowed into Gaza by Israel due to pressure from the international community.

(Ed. Note: Story filed from New York before the start of the Sabbath.)
—-

For readers familiar with our wartime coverage, Friday’s rocket report log looked like this:

12:36 PM – Army admits that a rocket actually landed in Israel in an open area. This is the first time since Operation Protective Edge that the IDF admits that a rocket landed within Israel’s territory.

No injuries or damage reported.

11:46 AM A rocket alert was heard in the Eshkol region.

The IDF is checking if this is a false alarm or if there was a rocket launch, and if so, where did the rocket fall.

Second Person has Died from Tuesday’s Attack on Eshkol

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014

One of the seriously wounded people from the Hamas rocket attack on the Eshkol region at 6pm this evening…..died at the Beersheva Soroka hospital.

2 people were killed, 1 seriously wounded and 4 lightly wounded.

Gaza Belt Heads Tell Displaced Residents ‘Don’t Come Home Yet

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014

Heads of the Regional Councils in the Gaza Belt area are warning residents who fled their districts not to come home yet, despite the ‘open-ended’ cease-fire between Israel and Gaza terrorists that started Tuesday night.

Eshkol Regional Council mayor Chaim Yellin told Channel 10 television in an interview Tuesday evening, “I don’t care what they’re saying in the government, or what they’re saying in Hamas.

“I will tell residents to come back only when I feel there is a true cease-fire, and not before.”

Few, if any Israelis have any faith that Hamas and other Gaza terrorist groups will keep their end of the open-ended Egyptian-brokered cease-fire deal that went into effect Tuesday at 7 pm.

“No one believes in this cease fire,” one person told a reporter in an ‘on the street’ interview by Army Radio. “It will continue and they will use it to re-arm,” the unnamed civilian said. “Half a year and we will be back at the same thing all over again.”

Just before 7 pm and up to nine minutes after the cease-fire was already supposed to have been underway, Gaza terrorists fired more than a dozen mortar shells at the Eshkol Regional Council district. One Israeli civilian was killed and seven others were wounded, including two who were taken to Be’er Sheva’s Soroka Medical Center in critical condition.

Some 70 percent of the area’s residents have been internally displaced by the lethal rocket and mortar fire directed at their homes. A number of them left on Monday, after a weekend of grieving over the death of 4-year-old Daniel Tragerman, who was killed at his home in Kibbutz Nahal Oz by flying shrapnel in an attack last Friday.

Intensive Rocket Fire Aimed at Israel’s Border Towns

Monday, August 25th, 2014

Intensive rocket fire and shelling attacks by Hamas and allied terrorists continued to be aimed at Israel’s Gaza border towns and the nearby coastal city of Ashkelon throughout the day on Monday.

It is not clear why Gaza terrorists are focusing so intently on the Sha’ar HaNegev, Sdot Negev and Eshkol Regional Council districts.

The terrorists seem particularly focused on Kibbutzim Alumim and Nahal Oz, where a 4-year-old child was killed in one such attack last Friday.

Most of the residents of the targeted areas have temporarily evacuated in order to more efficiently facilitate defense of the area by the IDF.

8 Injured in Gaza Mortar Attack

Thursday, July 31st, 2014

8:00pm In the mortar attack on the Eshkol region, 10 people were wounded by a Gazan mortar, 6 in serious condition.

The wounded were medivaced by helicopter to the ICU in Saroka hospital. The condition of the wounded is not currently known.

Bibi: ‘Death From Above, Death From Below’ Will Not Continue

Tuesday, July 29th, 2014
A grim Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu was unapologetic Monday in saying it had been one of the most difficult days of Israel’s three week-long war with Hamas so far. 
 
At his news conference, the prime minister withheld nothing, beginning with condolences to those who lost family members just a few hours earlier when terrorists shelled the Eshkol Regional Council district.
 
Of the four Israelis who died and nine left wounded, none were Eshkol residents; IDF officials later asked that for now, at least, no further volunteers come to the Gaza border with food and snacks for the soldiers.
 
“There is no war more justified than this one,” the prime minister asserted, reminding Israelis that from the outset, he had warned the fight to dismantle the threat presented by Hamas would take time.
 
“We knew there would be difficult days,” Netanyahu reminded. “This was a difficult and painful day.”
 
It is not possible, the prime minister insisted, that the people of Israel will continue to live with the existence of a mortal threat from terrorist tunnels below, and a mortal threat from missiles in the skies above. “Death from above, death from below,” will not be allowed to continue to threaten the people of Israel, Netanyahu said.
 
The war will continue “until our mission is completed – to protect our citizens, our children, our people.”
 
The first step in that process, he said, is to destroy the tunnels.
 
A spokesman for Hamas responded to Netanyahu’s remarks, telling a reporter in Gaza the terrorist organization was ‘not intimidated’ by the prime minister’s statements.
 
Meanwhile, in response to the intense rocket fire and the shelling that left four dead and nine wounded earlier in the evening, the IDF escalated its operation Monday evening.
 
IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz warned Gaza civilians once more that it was in their best interest to keep their distance from Hamas terrorists. Phone calls were made to private homes and SMS text messages were transmitted in Arabic to cell phones as well, warning civilians in Beit Hanoun, Beit Lahiya and Jabalya to evacuate themselves immediately from the area and to move to central Gaza City for their own safety.
 
Israeli artillery began pounding northern and central Gaza soon after, with at least two reported dead and dozens wounded in the initial IDF attacks. Some of the Palestinian wounded have made their way to the IDF field hospital set up by Israel to help treat the wounded along the Gaza border.
 
“If the leaders of Hamas believe they will be able to keep up a constant barrage of missiles, rockets and terrorist attacks, they are making a big mistake,” Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon told reporters at the news briefing. “If terrorist organizations in Gaza think they will be able to break the State of Israel and our citizens. . . in the next few days they will understand how wrong they are.

 

 

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/bibi-death-from-above-death-from-below-will-not-continue/2014/07/29/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: