web analytics
June 24, 2016 / 18 Sivan, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Explosion’

BREAKING: Egypt Air Officials Confirm Missing Plane Crashed in Mediterranean

Thursday, May 19th, 2016

Egyptian aviation officials have confirmed that Flight MS804 en route from Paris to Cairo crashed in the Mediterranean Sea on Thursday, ten miles after entering Egyptian air space.

Greek airport sources said the crash site is off the Greek island of Karpathos. A terror attack is the most likely cause of the crash, aviation experts told international media. Search and rescue personnel are out in force, looking for the plane.

French President Francois Hollande also confirmed the news in a separate news conference. But he stressed there was “no hypothesis” as to why the plane, an Airbus A320, crashed.

Egyptian Prime Minister Sherif Ismail also told reporters at Cairo airport it is still too early to speculate on what caused the crash. “We cannot rule anything out,” he told journalists,” and could not say whether a technical issue or terror attack was the cause.

The flight departed from Paris late Wednesday night en route to Cairo, but disappeared from the radar over the Mediterranean Sea just 10 minutes away from Egyptian air space.

Greek government officials were investigating an earlier report by the captain of a merchant ship who said he saw “a flame in the sky” over the area where the aircraft disappeared. He reported seeing the “flame” about 130 nautical miles south of the Greek island of Carpatos, according to the British Daily Star.

The twin-engine jet was registered with the Egyptian tail number SU-GCC. The last contact with the pilot was about 10 minutes before the aircraft disappeared from the radar. Ehab Mohy el-Deen, head of the Egyptian air navigation authority, said, “They did not radio for help or lose altitude. They just vanished.”

Greek air traffic controllers spoke to the pilot over the island of Kea in what is believed to have been the last broadcast from the aircraft. “The pilot did not mention any problems,” Kostas Litzerakis, head of Greek civil aviation told Reuters.

Rescue services from the Egyptian armed forces reported receiving a signal at 04:26 am local time (0226 GMT) from the aircraft that turned out to be an automated signal, according to a statement by Egypt Air. The flight had been due to land at 03:15 am local time.

A Russian MetroJet flight from Sharm el-Sheikh en route to St. Petersburg crashed in the Sinai Peninsula last October due to a mid-air explosion.  The crash was due to a bomb planted by the Da’esh (ISIS) terrorist organization, which claimed responsibility for the attack. All 224 people on board were killed in the disaster.

Hana Levi Julian

IDF Officer Still in Serious Condition After Bombing at Hizme

Wednesday, May 11th, 2016

An IDF officer wounded in a terror attack at the Hizme checkpoint north of Jerusalem remains in serious condition, according to officials at Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center. He underwent complex surgery to address his injuries the morning after the attack.

The officer sustained head and face wounds when a pipe bomb blew up as he bent down to examine a suspicious-looking package on the ground at the entrance to the roadblock. The Hizme checkpoint is located close to the northern Jerusalem neighborhood of Pisgat Ze’ev.

One of nine IEDs (improvised explosive devices) and pipe bombs used in a terror attack at the Hizme checkpoint.

One of nine IEDs (improvised explosive devices) and pipe bombs used in a terror attack at the Hizme checkpoint.

A total of four bombs detonated at the checkpoint Tuesday night, injuring a second soldier as well. He sustained shrapnel wounds in a leg and was evacuated to the hospital in good condition.

Sappers who were summoned to the site discovered an additional five bombs during their sweep of the area. All were defused by the bomb squad.

The public has been asked to pray for the health and well-being of Shachar ben Eilat.

Hana Levi Julian

Israeli Embassy in India: No Israeli Casualties in Massive Puttingal Temple Explosion

Sunday, April 10th, 2016

According to the Israeli Embassy in India, no Israelis are known to have been present in a massive fire than killed more than 100 people and wounded at least 350 others at the Puttingal Temple in Kollam early Sunday.

Israeli embassy staff are combing through the list of more than 100 Israelis in the city to make sure none were present at the time of the explosion and none were among the casualties.

Former Israeli Tourism Minister Stas Misezhnikov, was present in the area for a working meeting with Israel’s Ambassador to India, Alon Ushpiz. The Israeli diplomats were located only eight kilometers (five miles) away at the time of the blast.

The two officials were informed by security personnel of the tragedy a few minutes after the blast. Misezhnikov told the Hebrew-language Ynet news site, “The attack demonstrates that terrorism crosses all borders.”

At the time of the explosion, there were 10,000 to 15,000 at a temple next to the grounds where a fireworks display was held allegedly despite denial of permission from the temple.

A separate stockpile of fireworks stored in preparation for the upcoming New Year festival of Vishu this Thursday, was ignited by a spark.

India Navy and Air Force deployed six helicopters and a Dornier aircraft to assist with evacuation of the wounded at the site.

Prime Minister Narendra Mondi headed to Kerala state, location of the temple, with a team of 15 specialists to help treat the injured. Union health Minister JP Nadda is also heading to the site of the tragedy.

“Fire at temple in Kollam is heart-rending and shocking beyond words. My thoughts are with families of the deceased and prayers with the injured,” PM Modi said in his tweets.

He asked the Kerala state government to “suspend protocol” for his visit as he heads to the site of the tragedy. The request allows Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and other ministers to forego a special reception ceremony upon his arrival at the airport.

Hana Levi Julian

Blast in 6th District of Central Paris, Cause Unknown

Friday, April 1st, 2016

An explosion in central Paris created general panic among residents in the French capital on Friday afternoon (April 1.)

The blast rocked a residential building in the 6th administrative district of the city, on Rue Jean François Gerbillon.

Users on the Twitter social networking site speculated the blast might have been caused by a gas explosion.

The site of the incident is reportedly close to Ferrandi college. Local residents were reportedly evacuated from the area.

More details to follow.

Hana Levi Julian

Israel, Turkey Uniting Against Terror After Istanbul Attack

Saturday, March 19th, 2016

Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu sent a condolence letter to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Saturday night after three Israelis and an Iranian were killed by a terrorist in Istanbul hours earlier.

Eleven Israelis and 28 others, including 13 foreign nationals, were also wounded in the attack.

Two of the deceased are dual U.S.-Israeli citizens.

“The attack in Istanbul tonight proved once again that the international community must work together against terror organizations,” Davutoglu wrote. “I send my condolences to the Israelis who lost family members in the attack in Istanbul and wish a speedy recovery to the wounded Israelis.”

Turkey’s deputy prime minister, Mehmet Simsek, also tweeted condolences to Israel.

A ZAKA delegation left for Turkey along with two planes, one from Magen David Adom, the other from the IDF, to bring the wounded and deceased Israelis home to Israel from Istanbul.

Netanyahu received updates during the day about what was happening in Istanbul, he told media from the situation room at the Foreign Ministry.

“We can say with certainty that, sadly, two Israeli citizens were killed. It could be that there is a third victim. The two families have been updated; I send them condolences on behalf of the entire Jewish people. There are approximately eleven people who were wounded, the degree of their injuries varies, and we are dealing with them. I directed the dispatch of two planes – one from MDA and one from the IDF – in order to bring them, and the deceased, of course, back to Israel.”

Netanyahu added that he has asked the Turkish authorities to allow Israel to increase its presence in the country.

This evening there will be approximately 15 of our representatives in Istanbul; the Foreign Ministry Director General is on his way there. We are in contact with the Turkish government. The Foreign Ministry Director General spoke with his Turkish counterpart and, naturally, we are trying to clarify things in the intelligence sphere. We currently have no confirmation that this terrorist incident was directed at Israelis.

“We know that there are those who have yet to make contact; we are trying to locate them. At the moment it does not seem that they were part of this event but things will certainly become clearer later on.

“Foreign Ministry personnel, including those here in the situation room, are working constantly and will work around the clock in order to bring the people back to Israel and in order to give full support at this difficult time.

“I am certain that all Israelis join me in the hope for recovery for the wounded and in expressing condolences to the families of those who were murdered.”

Turkish officials said earlier there was evidence the suicide bomber, Savaz Yildiz, 33, from the Turkish city of Adana, may have been a Da’esh operative with the ISIS terror organization.

Hana Levi Julian

27 Dead, Dozens Wounded in Ankara Terrorist Bombing

Sunday, March 13th, 2016

At least 27 people are dead and 75 are wounded after an explosion rocked the Turkish capital of Ankara shortly before 7 pm Sunday evening near the Justice Ministry.

The blast was caused by a bomb-laden car that reportedly exploded between two passenger buses in Ankara’s Kizilay Square, the Ankara Governorate announced in a statement Sunday evening.

Numerous vehicles were ignited and burst into flames at the scene. Several buses also were partly burned or completely incinerated.

The area was quickly evacuated as a precaution against a second attack, according to the Turkish Hurriyet Daily News site.

Wounded victims were rushed to 10 different hospitals across the city, according to CNN Türk.

Smoke could be seen rising above the city from a distance as far as 2.5 kilometers away, according to witnesses quoted by the Daily Sabah news site.

Kizilay Square serves as the city’s main square and main transportation terminus, where approximately 10 bus stops converge in one site.

It is known as the heart of the city’s commercial and entertainment center. The site is only one kilometer from the site of last month’s attack by PKK terrorists.

The government-controlled Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) declared a broadcasting ban on images of the scene and victims.

This is the third major explosion to hit Ankara since last October.

Last month on February 17, a suicide car bomber targeted a military shuttle bus carrying recruits to a facility in central Ankara near the parliament building. At least 29 people lost their lives and 81 others were wounded.

On October 10, 2015, at least 103 were killed in an attack by alleged Da’esh operatives from the ISIS terrorist group who bombed a peace rally near the Ankara Railway Station.

Hana Levi Julian

Turkey Blames PKK, Syrian YPG for Ankara Terror Attack, Vows Retaliation

Thursday, February 18th, 2016

Turkey is vowing to retaliate against the terror group who attacked its capital city Wednesday night.

No one has yet claimed responsibility for the massacre. A powerful car bomb exploded in central Ankara, killing 28 people and injuring 61 others as it ripped through military buses carrying young personnel to facilities near the parliament.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu placed the blame for the attack squarely on the YPG Syrian Kurdish organization. Speaking to reporters in Ankara, Davutoglu identified the terrorist as Saleh Najar, a Syrian national born in the Hasakah province.

“It has been determined with certainty that this attack was carried out by members of the separatist terror organization PKK, together with a member of the YPG who infiltrated from Syria,” Davutoglu said.

Turkish security forces detained nine people in connection with the attack. Davutoglu added, “Their connection to the YPG has been confirmed” but said he could not comment further due to the ongoing investigation.

The Turkish Air Force conducted cross-border air strikes in northern Iraq, he said, killing more than 70 PKK terrorists, including senior members. “We will take all precautions under the scope of legitimate self-defense and will retaliate with no hesitation.”

Turkey’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mevlut Cavusoglu, has been instructed to forward documents about the attack to members of the United Nations Security Council, he said.

“It is our right to expect a common stance against a terrorist organization,” Davutoglu declared.

The comment was directed at members of the UN and NATO who do not see eye-to-eye with Turkey — another UN and NATO member — on the status of the YPG and PYD.

Turkey regards the YPG and PYD as terror groups linked to the PKK, but that is not the case in the rest of the world.

The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) is indeed recognized as a terrorist organization by the United States and the European Union. However, the Syrian Kurdish YPG and PYD groups are not seen in the same light by the U.S., nor by the European Union. Turkey regards both as terrorist organizations as well.

Davutoglu warned that those ‘directly and indirectly supporting’ the YPG ‘risk losing Turkey’s backing, according to the Daily Sabah newspaper. He added that it “unacceptable for members of NATO and the United States to have relations with an organization which carried out terrorist attacks ‘in the heart of Turkey.’”

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/turkey-blames-pkk-syrian-ypg-for-ankara-terror-attack-vows-retaliation/2016/02/18/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: