The Palestinian Authority Prime Minister admits that Hamas has stolen food and medicine meant for civilians, and the PA has no say over what goes on in Gaza, despite the so-called “Palestinian Unity Government”.
Posts Tagged ‘Gaza’
Egypt’s Foreign Ministry says President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi never offered the Palestinian Authority a chance to establish a new state in the Sinai Peninsula, according to i24 News.
On Monday morning, Israel Army Radio had reported the Egyptian president had made the suggestion to to Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) chairman and Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas earlier this week in Cairo.
The alleged proposal would have provided a tract of land 1,600 square kilometers (618 square miles) adjacent to Gaza, to “end the refugee story,” as Abbas told the Bethlehem-based Ma’an news agency.
The total area of the site – which would be controlled by the Palestinian Authority under Mahmoud Abbas — is five times the area of Gaza. According to Israel Army Radio, the proposal has a green light from the United States, and Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu was given a ‘heads up’ as well.
In exchange, the Palestinian Authority would end its demand for Israel to retreat to the 1949 Armistice Line – known internationally also as the “1967 border” after Israel won the 1967 Six Day War.
The broadcast report noted that el-Sisi reminded Abbas in their conversation that he is 80 years old. The Egyptian president allegedly warned the PA chairman that if he chose not to make history by accepting the proposal, “your successor will.”
Abbas, however, rejected the plan – much as his predecessor, former PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat once rejected a plan that would have given his people 97 percent of the territory in Judea and Samaria for which they have fought for so long. Arafat instead insisted on holding out for land from Jerusalem, Israel’s eternal capital.
The Egyptian proposal is not really a new idea. In 1956, the Egyptian government proposed a similar concept. Then, too, it was rejected by the PLO.
“Now this is being proposed once again,” Abbas told a gathering of his Fatah faction in Ramallah on Sunday. “A senior leader in Egypt has said, ‘A refuge must be found for the Palestinians and we have all this open land.’ This was said to me personally. But it is illogical for the problem to be solved at Egypt’s expense. We won’t have it.”
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry claimed in its denial on Monday that the proposal was actually offered in the past by Muslim Brotherhood-backed former President Mohammed Morsi, deposed a year ago by el-Sisi.
Under the plan, Palestinian Authority-controlled cities in Judea and Samaria would remain autonomous and their residents would remain in their homes.
So-called “refugees” from abroad – who are now into the third and fourth and in some cases even fifth generations – could move to new homes in the proposed State of Palestine, adjacent to Gaza. There would be a considerable amount of seafront property in the tract being offered, enough for both real estate development, and for a port.
Just two main conditions were attached to the proposal: (1) the state be demilitarized, and (2) that cities in Judea and Samaria be autonomous, not the entire regions.
Reuters has an article up claiming that to rebuild Gaza it will cost $7.8 billion.
(Reuters) – Rebuilding Gaza will cost $7.8 billion, the Palestinian Authority said on Thursday, in the most comprehensive assessment yet of damage from a seven-week war with Israel during which whole neighborhoods and vital infrastructure were flattened.
I just think of the tons and tons and tons of cement Israel had so blithely allowed into Gaza these past few years, which the Gazan had used to construct advanced, sophisticated tunnels from all the way into Jewish communities. These tunnels have been used for kidnapping and terror attacks. This has been going on for years. Gilad Schalit was taken away by tunnel, which is why he couldn’t be found. During the “war,” loony Leftists on Israeli TV fantasized about a “Marshall Plan” for Gaza that we would offer, so the Gazans would be as grateful to Israel as the West Germans were to the USA after World War Two.
Of course, nobody bothered to remind them what happened to the potentially money-making “Gush Katif” style hot-houses that had been bought for them after Disengagement to enable them to establish a high-tech agriculture industry. The Gazans, even those who for years had worked for Jewish farmers and knew perfectly well how to farm in the same advanced, money-making way couldn’t be bothered to establish businesses. The main Gazan business is terrorism.
Accuracy and truth aren’t high in the aims of the press and NGO’s that report about Gaza. Due to the photography techniques I’ve been learning as part of 52Frames, I have no doubt that the Reuters picture in this post was doctored, just like the changes I made to the following photo: After:
The descriptions of the damage are also highly exaggerated:
“The attack on Gaza this time had no precedent, Gaza has been hit with a catastrophe and it needs immediate help because many things can’t wait long,” Mohammed Shtayyeh, a Palestinian economist and a senior member of the West Bank’s dominant Fatah* party, told reporters in Ramallah.
Besides the American atomic bombs on Japan, the Germans damaged London more seriously and the allies certainly destroyed a lot more of Nazi Europe during WWII than Israel did to Gaza.
But facts aren’t necessary for those reporting on Israel and her enemies.
In all honesty, and what I’m going to say is definitely not “pc,” politically correct, as far as I’m concerned, Gaza should remain as unlivable as possible. UNRWA should be closed down. Let people escape to any country other than Israel. The United Nations, Europe, the NGOs etc. must stop supporting them. There never was a country called Gaza. Their “independence” and self-governing is a new modern and terribly dangerous phenomenon.
Without the massive foreign funding Gaza will lose its punch. That must be the aim. Rebuilding Gaza will just increase terrorism and be the wrong lesson to ISIS.
*Please note that the spokesperson is from the so-called moderate Fatah and not from Hamas.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu wrote Florida Gov. Rick Scott this week a thank you letter for the government’s resolution last month supporting Israel.
“I received the state of Florida’s recent resolution reaffirming your unrequited support for Israel’s right of self-defense,” Netanyahu wrote Scott. “My government has been acting to protect our citizens against the scourge of Islamist terrorism, and we are strengthened by the steadfast support of our many friends in Florida.”
Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi sponsored the resolution last month, which states Israel “remains a force of freedom and democracy in the Middle East” and a “steadfast ally of the United States.
“Be it resolved that the governor and Cabinet of the state of Florida do hereby declare that the state of Florida stands with Israel and supports Israel’s right to defend and protect its citizens from the forces of tyranny and oppression to ensure the survival of the state of Israel.
“Be it further resolved that the governor and Cabinet of the state of Florida vehemently condemn the unprovoked rocket attacks aimed at Israel and call on Hamas to immediately cease all rocket and other attacks against Israel….
“Florida continues to foster a strong relationship with Israel and is home to one of the largest Jewish populations outside of Israel.
The resolution also referred to anti-Semitism in Florida, noting. “The killing of Rabbi Joseph Raksin in North-East Miami-Dade has put Floridians on high alert that there is a potential for violence against the Jewish people in Florida.”
The collapse of support for Prime Minister Netanyahu (from 82 percent during the ground incursion in Gaza to 38 percent today) was to be expected. The job of every head of state is to provide security to his or her citizens. If security is compromised, the head of state loses support.
All those disappointed in Netanyahu, however, must understand the dynamics of their deteriorating security situation. Netanyahu is still operating within the Oslo framework – a framework that assumes that the creation of a Palestinian state will alleviate Israel’s security problems. But this framework is actually the root of the problem, and the public cannot expect Netanyahu to conjure up a solution within its bounds.
I personally am completely opposed to an Israeli invasion of Gaza if we will retreat once again or rule colonial-style over the Arab population. I am opposed to any temporary solution that will endanger our soldiers.
The only workable solution is for Israel to conquer Gaza and help its residents emigrate. Those who wish to stay can do so in a Gaza with a solid Jewish majority. Gaza must become a thriving Israeli city – the Riviera of the Middle East – with modern tourism, cutting-edge technology, and all the amenities of a modern city.
My plan consists of four elements:
1. We must recognize that Israel is our land, not theirs – Gaza included. No more talk of the two-state solution. One state for one people.
2. The IDF must conquer Gaza in accordance with Western military doctrine.
3. Israel must encourage and provide aid for Arab emigration. Instead of the nearly trillion shekels that Israel has invested to date in the Oslo two-state solution, we can invest in encouraging Gazans to relocate with financial security. Financially-secure immigrants are welcomed in most countries.
4. Israel must encourage aliyah and Jewish settlement in Gaza. Within the next decade, we will be seeing 1.5 million Jews immigrating to Israel. Encourage them (and veteran Israelis) to settle in Gaza and make it flourish.
This is the only pragmatic, realistic solution on the horizon. But to realize it, we need leadership that believes the land is actually ours.
Below is a copy of a letter sent to U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon by Gila and Doron Tregerman, the parents of four-year-old Daniel, who was killed in a Hamas mortar attack on their home in Kibbutz Nahal Oz.
My name is Gila, I am an Israeli citizen, and I am a resident of Kibbutz Nahal Oz, near the border with Gaza.
A week ago, we lost our elder son, Daniel 4.5 yrs old, which was killed by a mortar shell, fired from Gaza into Israel deliberately.
I address you after your announcement to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to establish an international investigation Committee to investigate “Israel’s crime” in the recent fighting in Gaza.
About us: Doron and I were married five years ago and we have three amazing kids: Daniel, 4.5 yrs, Yoval, 3.5 yrs and Uri, 4 months old. We were a happy family. We lived in Kibbutz Nahal Oz near Gaza, and found ourselves constantly debating whether not to abandon Nahal Oz and move to another location, quieter, safer, far from rocket fire from Gaza, and far away from the alarms.
Then came the threat of terrorist tunnels, which Hamas members dug from Gaza to Israel under our home to hurt us. At night we heard noises and voices digging beneath us. Thus, in the last six months our children slept with the window closed and locked. We were afraid that they will be kidnapped from us.
Can you imagine our life, Mr. Secretary-General? How do you live in constant fear of mortar shell and terrorists emerging from tunnels?
Then, last Friday [August 22], Daniel was killed. All the precautions that we have taken have failed. Daniel, 4.5 yrs old, was killed in our House, while playing with Yoval in a tent built indoors and not outside, because it’s dangerous.
He was killed from a mortar shell that was shot by terrorists from Gaza; he died in our hands. Daniel died in front of his little sister and his best friend Yoval, 3.5 years old; he died in front of Uri, only four months old and right before our eyes, his mother and father.
We couldn’t protect our beautiful and talented baby. Daniel was killed from a mortar shell that was fired by Hamas members from an elementary school for boys in Gaza City. It wasn’t a stray shell. It wasn’t accidental death. From that school. terrorists fired deliberately to the kibbutz to murder civilians — children, women, old people. This time they also achieved the goal. Daniel was killed almost immediately. Daniel’s father, Doron, covered him with a blanket while crying bitterly and we escaped from home with two small children, leaving our precious son behind, in order to protect them from bombings [that] continued to explode around the house.
Yoval, Daniel’s sister saw the terrifying sight and understood that something terrible happened. It is unbearable to watch that little child staring at the wall, in overwhelming silence with teardrops from her eyes.
This week, while [at] the “shiv’ah”(Jewish ritual of mourning) at Doron’s parents home, we heard of your decision to appoint an international investigation Committee to investigate “Israel’s crime” in the recent fighting in Gaza. You informed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu half an hour after our Daniel was killed, perhaps while he was lying dead in our living room, covered in a blanket.
The investigation Committee will examine the “crimes of Israel” during the fighting. The investigation Committee is not asked to investigate how terrorists shoot out of U.N. buildings and schools.
The Committee is not asked to investigate how inside buildings of the United Nations and in hospitals in Gaza terrorist infrastructure flourish and maintain over time, or how from these places terrorist left for activity aimed against innocent people.
Cleared for publication: Hebron resident Hussam Qawasme was apparently paid NIS 220,000 – $61,500 – for the June 12 abduction and murder of three Israeli teens by Hamas terrorists in Gush Etzion.
Qawasme was arrested July 11 in connection with the attack, which he is credited with helping to mastermind. He reportedly received the funds for the job from his brother, a convicted Hamas official in Gaza.
According to information released Thursday by the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) it was Qawasme who hid the bodies of 19 year old Eyal Yifrah, 16 year old Naftali Frenkel and 16 year old Gilad Sha’ar, kidnapped and murdered on June 12. He had purchased the field where the bodies were stashed in shallow graves along Highway 60 in the town of Halhul, halfway between Hebron and Gush Etzion.
“In an intelligence operation launched by the Shin Bet, Hussam Qawasme was tracked down and arrested in a hideout in the Shuafat refugee camp,” the Shin Bet stated.
Hussam Qawasme was given up by another arrested accomplice who had hidden him and was also recently indicted. Hussam himself was incarcerated in Israel from 1995 to 2002. He was convicted on charges of involvement in Hamas terrorist activities, including participating in a cell that carried out bombing attacks.
“He is the son of a family whose sons have been involved in severe terror attacks on behalf of Hamas,” the Shin Bet added.
The Hamas operative planned to flee to Jordan after stashing the bodies of the three teens but instead was caught and arrested, according the a statement released Thursday by the Shin Bet following Qawasme’s indictment in the IDF military court.
Hussam Qawasme is described in court papers as a ‘command level Hamas operative.’
His brother in Gaza – who allegedly bankrolled the operation – was freed by Israel as part of the prisoner exchange deal that secured the Oct. 18, 2011 return of former IDF soldier Gilad Shalit from five years of captivity by Hamas.
The money was transferred from Gaza to Qawasme in Hebron via cash-stuffed envelopes carried by Hussam’s mother and another, unnamed woman, the indictment alleged. Among the purchases were a vehicle with which to carry out the attack and four guns.
The two kidnapper-killers, relative Marwan Qawasme and Amer Abu Aisha are still at large.
But under interrogation, Hussam Qawasme, 40, named other Hebron family members who had planned to help him escape to Jordan with a fake ID after the attack. Hisham Qawasme, 35; Jamil Qawasme, 28; and Hamas member Hassan Qawasme, 45, are all in Israeli custody.