As a Zionist answer to the despicable murder of our three boys, a pioneering group of Jews headed by Women in Green went up to Givat Oz – a hilltop overlooking Tzomet HaGush – in order to create a new Jewish presence in the area.
As since the beginning of Zionism, the land of Israel is sometimes built with blood and tears. The hill is adjacent to the historical community of Migdal Eder, which was dismantled in 1927, in a forest near to Bet Fajjar, on approved State land.
The pioneers cleaned out an abandoned structure on the site and settled it, calling upon the government to immediately apply sovereignty, starting with Hevron and Gush Etzion. This call was made by the Women and Green, together with the Professors for a Strong Israel, headed by Aryeh Eldad and Matot Arim. Davidi Perl, mayor of Gush Etzion, together with his deputy, Moshe Savil, came to bless the new Givat Oz endeavor. The mayor said, “Our answer is clear and determined – we will continue to expand and build here and now. Here we will build a new community and many more in the near future. We will build and settle and hold strong to the land.”
The local police chief and army commanders came to visit and promised to safeguard the place.
This morning there will be Tefilat Shacharit at 6am. At 10am the public is invited to come and help refurbish the building (painting and cleaning).
Directions: Drive to Tzomet HaGush and turn toward Migdal Oz and Bet Fajjar. After a few hundred meters turn right onto the dirt path and continue up into the forest.Nadia Matar