A fire at Camp Simcha, a camp for children with cancer, destroyed one bunkhouse and damaged a newly built one.
The fire was discovered when a counselor at the camp in Glen Spey, N.Y., woke up early Saturday morning and smelled smoke. The counselors evacuated the 15 residents of the cabin, including one camper in a wheelchair, VIN News reported.
The entire camp then was evacuated to a helicopter landing field near the camp. Several people were treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters believe the cause of the fire is electrical, VIN reported.
Donors to Chai Lifeline, the organization that sponsors the camp, are sponsoring a visit to a local shopping mall to help the campers in the destroyed bunk replace their personal items, according to the report.
The camp season ends Tuesday.JTA