web analytics
April 21, 2015 / 2 Iyar, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Hevron’

Settling and Sovereignty is the Zionist Answer – Hebron and Gush Etzion First

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

As a Zionist answer to the despicable murder of our three boys, a pioneering group of Jews headed by Women in Green went up to Givat Oz – a hilltop overlooking Tzomet HaGush – in order to create a new Jewish presence in the area.

As since the beginning of Zionism, the land of Israel is sometimes built with blood and tears. The hill is adjacent to the historical community of Migdal Eder, which was dismantled in 1927, in a forest near to Bet Fajjar, on approved State land.

The pioneers cleaned out an abandoned structure on the site and settled it, calling upon the government to immediately apply sovereignty, starting with Hevron and Gush Etzion. This call was made by the Women and Green, together with the Professors for a Strong Israel, headed by Aryeh Eldad and Matot Arim. Davidi Perl, mayor of Gush Etzion, together with his deputy, Moshe Savil, came to bless the new Givat Oz endeavor. The mayor said, “Our answer is clear and determined – we will continue to expand and build here and now. Here we will build a new community and many more in the near future. We will build and settle and hold strong to the land.”

The local police chief and army commanders came to visit and promised to safeguard the place.

This morning there will be Tefilat Shacharit at 6am. At 10am the public is invited to come and help refurbish the building (painting and cleaning).

Directions: Drive to Tzomet HaGush and turn toward Migdal Oz and Bet Fajjar. After a few hundred meters turn right onto the dirt path and continue up into the forest.

Hebron Residents Demand Kawasme Clan’s Expulsion

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

Residents of Jewish Hebron are demanding the government expel the entire Kawasme Clan from Hebron to Gaza.

The extended Kawasme family have a long history of violent terror attacks. Marwan Kawasme is part of the terror cell that kidnapped and murdered EYal Yifrach, Gil-ad Shaar and Naftali Frenkel.

Yair Shreider, a Hebron resident and member of the Residents Committee (Vaad) of Judea said that the Kawasme clan is an “incubator for terrorism”.

Hebron residents are saying there is no way this murder can by without a serious response.

The Jewish Press adds: In Gaza, the Kawasme Clan would likely receive a hero’s welcome. Expulsion to Syria would be a far better choice.

Israel Names 2 Hamas Suspects in Teens’ Kidnap

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

The Shin Bet has cleared for publication that it suspects Hamas Hevron terrorists Amer Abu Aisha and Marwan Kawasmeh played pivotal roles in the kidnapping of three Israeli teens.

Eyal Yifrach, 19, Naftali Frenkel, 16 and Gilad Sha’ar, 16, were kidnapped while hitchhiking home from yeshiva in Gush Etzion on June 12.

Security forces from the Shin Bet and IDF have worked together in Operation Brother’s Keeper to hunt for Kawasmeh, 29, and Abu Aisha, 32, almost since the night the boys were kidnapped, according to the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet).

“Since then, the Shin Bet and IDF have conducted a wide-scale search aimed at capturing the wanted suspects. The first aim is to track down the location of the abducted youths,” the Shin Bet said in a statement released to media Thursday night.

Both previously have served time in Israeli prisons, and both are missing from their homes.

Kawasmeh, a barber, has in the past been detained both by Israel and the Palestinian Authority forces.  His uncle, Abdullah Kawasmeh, served as commander of the Hamas military wing in Hevron until he was killed in a clash with Israeli security forces in November 2003.

Kawasmeh himself was first arrested and convicted at age 18, serving a 10 month prison sentence for Hamas-related terror activity. He was subsequently arrested four more times, and held under administrative detention at least twice. In 2010 he confessed under interrogation to being recruited a year earlier by the Hevron regional Hamas military wing. He participated in military training in local caves, learning how to find raw materials to assemble bombs. He also took part in recruiting other Palestinian Authority youths to Hamas. He was again convicted and sent to prison, where he served time until March 2012. His four brothers, all associated with Hamas, were arrested the day after the boys were kidnapped, as was his wife — who was released 24 hours later.

Abu Aisha, a locksmith who is married with three children, was first arrested in November 2005 at age 24, at about the same time his brother Zaid, also a Hamas terrorist, was killed while trying to throw an explosive at IDF soldiers. Abu Aisha was placed under administrative detention until the following June, then freed until he was re-arrested in April 2007, when he spent several weeks in custody again. In addition, Abu Aisha’s father Omar was arrested and convicted by Israel, serving prison time a number of times for Hamas terrorist activity as well.

Security personnel have intensively interrogated the wives of both men in the Hares neighborhood where they both live, according to Palestinian Authority media, but the report has not been confirmed by Israeli sources. Both men reportedly attend prayers together regularly at the same mosque, but neither has been seen since the night of the kidnapping.

Other suspects connected with the two and who are also suspected as accessories in the operation have already been arrested as well, counter-terrorism officials said.

Nearly 400 Palestinian Authority Arabs have been arrested by security forces sweeping through Judea and Samaria as part of Operation Brother’s Keeper on their search for the kidnapped teens. Some sites around the Hevron area have been searched two or three times — and are going to be searched again, officials said. In many private homes in the region IDF soldiers have discovered secret tunnels, chambers, and illegal weapons caches. Tucked away in the hills and terraces around the area the forces have found previously unknown caves, cisterns, and other possible places where terrorists may have hidden their captives.

Despite the impending holy Islamic month of Ramadan, Operation Brother’s Keeper will continue ‘full force,’ Israeli officials have said. The government had weighed the possibility of scaling back operations but in the face of fierce opposition from the families of the teens as well as the Israeli public, the security cabinet reconsidered the decision.

Israeli Security Cabinet: ‘Operation Brother’s Keeper’ Continues ‘Full Throttle’

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

Israel’s Security Cabinet decided Wednesday night to continue Operation Brother’s Keeper at “full throttle” until three kidnapped Israeli teens are found and returned home.

The holy Islamic month of Ramadan begins this coming Saturday; during this period, observant Muslims traditionally fast during the daylight hours, abstaining from food and drink each day until after sundown. It is also time in which tensions usually rise between Arabs and Jews and often there is a corresponding increase in the number of terrorist and other attacks.

Earlier this week there was some discussion over whether Israel had reached the lion’s share of its secondary goals in the operation, in neutralizing the presence of the Hamas terrorist organization in Judea and Samaria. More than 360 arrests have been made thus far, with at least 250 of those taken into custody claiming membership in Hamas.

But with the primary goal of finding the kidnap victims still ‘up front and center,’ the security cabinet decided to move forward with the operation, albeit with due consideration for the local PA Arab population, given the holiday circumstances.

IDF soldiers are still searching daily and overnight throughout the hills of Judea and Samaria Eyal Yifrach, 19, Naftali Frenkel, 16 and Gilad Sha’ar, 16. The three boys were abducted from Gush Etzion by Arab terrorists on June 12 as they were hitchhiking home for the Sabbath from yeshiva.

In numerous homes and buildings, they have come across illegal weapons caches, hidden tunnels, previously undiscovered secret chambers, caves and cisterns whose presence was cleverly concealed by brush, rocks and in some cases even what appeared to be “ancient” agricultural terraces.

Overnight Wednesday IDF troops arrested a total of 10 Palestinian Authority fugitives during operations, including a terrorist who was tracked down near the southern Hevron Hills village of Samu’a but who fled to evade arrest. When warning shots did not stop him, IDF troops shot him instead, seriously wounding the fugitive. He was taken to an Israeli medical center for treatment, and will later be questioned by security personnel. A terrorist wounded while rioting against IDF soldiers during arrest operations several days ago in Ramallah also died last night.

‘Brother’s Keeper’ Day 12: Fewer Arrests, More Sites Searched

Tuesday, June 24th, 2014

As Operation Brother’s Keeper approaches the end of its second week, IDF troops are making fewer arrests and widening their search.

Just four fugitives were arrested Monday night as IDF soldiers meticulously searched for the teens. But more than 120 sites – most of them private homes – were raided in Hevron and its surrounds. On Sunday night, at least 37 arrests were made.

Meanwhile, United Nations political affairs chief Jeffrey Feltman weighed in on Monday, warning Israel to “exercise restraint” in its search.

“As the search for the missing youths continues, we call for restraint in carrying out the security operations in strict compliance with international law, and avoiding punishing individuals for offenses they have not personally committed,” he said. “The rising death toll as a result of Israeli security operations in the West Bank is alarming,” he told the U.N. Security Council at its monthly meeting on the Middle East. Feltman expressed concerns over the possibility of a third intifada starting against Israel by PA Arabs.

So far, the troops have searched 1,800 buildings for 19 year old Eyal Yifrach, and 16 year old Naftali Frenkel and Gilad Sha’ar. In the process, they came up with the accused murderer of Judea and Samaria Police Commissioner Baruch Mizrachi. The accused is a terrorist who was released early from prison as part of the prisoner exchange deal that returned former IDF soldier Gilad Shalit to his family two and a half years ago. Shalit was kidnapped by Hamas terrorists in a cross border raider near the Kerem Shalom crossing, and held captive for more than five years. Israel freed more than 1,000 Palestinian Authority Arab terrorists, including hundreds of murderers with Jewish blood on their hands, in order to rescue him.

But the troops have yet to find the three kidnapped boys they are now searching for. Their second goal – neutralizing Hamas in Judea and Samaria – is also part of the continuing operation. More than 360 Hamas terrorists have been arrested in the past 12 days, including at least 60 who were released in the Shalit prisoner exchange deal. Those will be remanded for separate court hearings to determine whether they have violated the terms of the pledges they signed upon their release — and if so, each will return to prison resume serving the remainder of their sentences.

A third goal has also been added to the operation: beefing up defenses for Israeli residents of Judea and Samaria so their daily routine will no longer be disrupted by security issues.

The upcoming Islamic holiday of Ramadan, a month-long daytime fast observed by religious Muslims, is one the IDF is taking into consideration as well. “It is important for us to maintain routine relations with the Palestinians in whose communities we are carrying out our searches,” said a security source. “Ramadan is no obstacle, and we will continue to do whatever is necessary to track down the boys, with due consideration for the local population.”

Operation ‘Brother’s Keeper’ #11: 37 Arrests, 80 Sites Checked, 7 Hamas Closures

Monday, June 23rd, 2014

It’s the 11th day of Operation Brother’s Keeper, since 19 year old Eyal Yifrach, 16 year old Naftali Frenkel and 16 year old Gilad Sha’ar were kidnapped by Arab terrorists.

Thousands of soldiers are out around the clock, searching for the kidnapped boys and putting pressure on the terror organization behind the abduction, Hamas. But they haven’t found them yet. Terrorism experts have assured journalists that the boys are “still alive… That’s the working assumption.”

Sunday night and the wee hours of Monday morning were spent hunting down and arresting 37 Palestinian Authority unity government fugitives in Hevron, El Aroub, Shechem, Tulkarem and Jenin. The process was not an easy one: each came at the cost of violent encounters with rioters as the IDF soldiers came to take the terrorists into custody. Since the operation began, more than 360 terrorists have been taken into custody — most of them members of Hamas.

Seven organizations linked to Hamas in various locations around Hevron and in Jenin were shut down, and eighty separate sites were searched meticulously for some sign of the kidnapped boys.

Hundreds of illegal weapons have been confiscated over the past 10 days, and IDF soldiers found numerous previously unknown tunnels and bunkers dug under Arab homes in Hevron.

Late Sunday night, Gaza-based Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh praised the terrorists, saying “the youth of the West Bank have restored honor to the intifada, the greatest legacy in history.”

Haniyeh’s Ramallah-based partner in the PA unity government, Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas, said at his office in the Samaria PA capital the kidnapping was “unjustified and unacceptable.” He added that Israelis should see Palestinians in the same way, and realize they are “human beings like them.”

The Islamic holiday of Ramadan – in which observant Muslims fast during the daylight hours for the entire month – is due to begin shortly. However, Israeli defense officials say they do not intend to relieve the pressure until the boys are found.

Hunt for Kidnapped Teens, Night 7: IDF Nabs 30 Hamas Men, 2 ‘Shalitniks’

Thursday, June 19th, 2014

It’s the seventh night of desperate searching after an Israeli teen whispered to a police dispatcher, “We’re being kidnapped,” before his cell phone was cut off.

Dual Israeli-American citizen Naftali Frenkel, age 16, and his two friends, Gilad Sha’ar, 16 and Eyal Yifrach, 19, were kidnapped by terrorists last Thursday night as they hitchhiked home for the Sabbath from Gush Etzion.

Thousands of IDF soldiers were fanned out across Judea and Samaria, hunting for them and the terrorists who abducted them. There’s still been no news of their location or condition, and no clear idea of who took them. Constant prayer vigils by millions of Jews around the world continue at all hours of the day and night.

On Wednesday night, IDF troops ‘visited’ some 100 private homes and public institutions linked to the Hamas terrorist organization, mostly in the Hevron area, Israel public radio reported.

While looking for the missing boys, they were also out hunting for the terrorists who kidnapped them – and the rest of the Hamas members who may have assisted in some way.

And while they’re at it, they’re also hauling in those who were released early from Israeli jails in exchange for the freedom of former IDF soldier Gilad Shalit. The former hostage was kidnapped in a cross-border raid near the Gaza border by a consortium of Hamas and other allied terrorists in 2006. Shalit was held captive by Hamas for five years — until Israel agreed to swap more than a thousand terrorist prisoners for his freedom.

Those who were released signed pledges agreeing to certain conditions before they were freed. Under the circumstances, however, Israel is now determined to re-incarcerate the many who intelligence services know have violated their agreements.

Within the past seven days, 53 of the ‘Shalit terrorists’ have been picked up so far. They will appear before a military judge, unless their sentence was handed down by a civilian court. If the violation is found to be valid, the terrorist will return to jail to serve the remainder of the original sentence. In many cases, that is life in prison.

These cases are included in some 300 Palestinian Authority unity government terrorists that were rounded up by IDF troops, nearly all of whom are members of Hamas. A few were Islamic Jihad terrorists as well.

Accomplishing “Operation Brother’s Keeper” is not easy; Israeli soldiers encounter “resistance” at each location. Rocks, bottles… and last night even two firebombs (Molotov cocktails) were hurled straight at them in Jenin when they entered the area to search and make arrests. There were similar clashes in Bethlehem and Birzeit. In one case Arabs attempted to run over IDF soldiers with a car; other troops returned fire and hit the vehicle before it fled the scene.

But the soldiers are clear about their mission and they are firm in their resolve, as are the Israeli Air Force pilots who fly their missions in retaliation for the rocket attacks fired at Israeli civilian populations.

Last night (Wednesday) pilots carried out air strikes against five Hamas terror targets in Gaza, including a concealed rocket launcher and two terrorist bases. Direct hits were confirmed and all personnel returned safely to base.

The strikes came in response to a missile attack on Ashkelon by Gaza terrorists earlier in the evening. One of the rockets hit a house (no one was home at the time) and damaged it. The second exploded in an open area, causing no damage. No injuries were reported in either attack.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/hunt-for-kidnapped-teens-night-7-idf-nabs-30-hamas-men-2-shalitniks/2014/06/19/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: