web analytics
July 28, 2016 / 22 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘High Court’

Jewish Human Rights Watch Suing 3 Councils in High Court over BDS

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016

Jewish Human Rights Watch (JHRW) has taken Swansea, Gwyneedd and Leicester councils to the High Court in London, alleging their boycott of Israeli goods is anti-Semitic and violates the 2010 Equality Act.

The group noted on their Facebook page: “We’re in the #‎HighCourt today and tomorrow about The Labour Party’s Leicester City Council & City and County of Swansea & Gwynedd Council’s #‎Antisemitic #‎Boycott motions. We’ll keep you updated as soon as we hear anything.”

Several local councils across the UK voted to boycott Israeli goods after 2009, when Israel refused to embrace the Hamas’ need to shoot rockets at its civilian population.

In 2010, Swansea council was seeking contracts with Veolia, a company connected to a project building a light railway in eastern Jerusalem. But then a motion was put before the council stating the project “not only contravenes UN demands but is in contravention of international law,” since the UN “has demanded that Israeli settlement activities and occupation should not be supported.”

Several council members called on the council to not do business with “any company in breach of international law or UN obligations or demands, so long as to do so would not be in breach of any relevant legislation.” The motion was approved.

Andrew Sharland, an attorney for Leicester’s council, which in 2014 approved a similar boycott of Israeli goods, said the JHRW is trying to “stifle criticisms of Israel.”

“What this challenge really concerns is criticism of the State of Israel, and the claimant’s desire to suppress it,” he said.

Following the 2014 vote, JHRW issued a statement saying, “Leicester City Council has taken steps down an anti-Semitic path under the guise of helping community relations in Leicester. Frankly this amounts to a get-of-out-town order to Leicester Jews.”

In 2014, Gwynedd council also passed a motion calling for a trade embargo against Israel, condemning the “attacks by the Israeli state on the territory of the Palestinians living in the Gaza Strip.” Just to make sure they did not come across as anti-Semites, Gwynedd council added, “It must be made clear that the proposal condemned the Israeli state and not the Jewish religion.”

The British government earlier this year issued guidelines for public authorities which say these boycotts are “inappropriate” without formal legal sanctions or embargoes by the national government. In fact, the Cabinet Office has said these boycotts “undermine good community relations, poison and polarize debate, weaken integration and fuel anti-Semitism.”

But Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, whose party has been ridding itself of an industrial-size stash of anti-Semitic members in recent days, criticized the government’s warning against BDS as an “attack on local democracy.”

David Israel

UPDATE: Givat Ze’ev Synagogue Activists Call for Civil Disobedience to stop Demolition

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015

UPDATE 10:50 PM There are reports of trucks carrying bulldozers coming up Route 443 to Jerusalem. This could mean that police will try to position the machinery in place before local residents organize to block them.

UPDATE: The Supreme Court will hear from the State’s Attorney Wednesday at 8:30 AM, regarding the decision to demolish the Ayelet Hashachar synagogue in Givat Ze’ev. So far Chief Justice Miriam Na’or has not indicated that she intends to postpone the demolition order, and so the deadline for razing the synagogue is still Thursday.

The campaign against the demolition has been calling the public to arrive at the synagogue in order to protect it with their bodies, to prevent the demolition. One of the leading activists in the fight told Srugim that there is concern the police would arrive late at night and block access to the synagogue, to prevent attempts at civil disobedience. Residents are afraid police will also take over the place Tuesday tonight, as they have done countless times in such cases in the past, and will await the instructions of the court, to halt the demolition or to go ahead with it. In the past, on such occasions, police have been known to “jump the gun” and demolish the contested property during the night, even before receiving the final court order.

Leaflet calling on Jews to protect the synagogue with their bodies

Leaflet calling on Jews to protect the synagogue with their bodies

Following an evaluation by the police, the High Court decided to delay the demolition of the Ayelet Hashachar synagogue by three weeks. It was slated for destruction tonight.

The High Court decided that the synagogue must be destroyed as the Jewish owners couldn’t prove to the court’s satisfaction that their land purchase was from the rightful owner.

The son of the Arab they bought the land from claimed his father bought it from the original Arab owner and then resold it. The son of the original owner claims his father never sold the land.

One of the Arabs is lying, but no one knows which, and the High Court has decided in favor of the original owner, but originally delayed the destruction to see if a compromise could be reached or more documentation could be found.

Despite paying for the land once and in full, the synagogue has offered to also pay the original owner’s son in full, including back rent, just to end the controversy, but the original owner’s son has rejected the offer, and has demanded the synagogue’s destruction. The original owner is being assisted by the “Yesh Din” NGO.

It is not clear, if that would be sufficient anyway, as additional heirs could still come forward and claim that first son did not have the exclusive right to sell it.

The synagogue has several hundred members.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Secular Leftists Applaud New Hareidi Minister

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015

The lion and the lamb are at peace with each other in the Knesset, at least for a day.

Hareidi Knesset Member Yaakov Litzman took the pledge of allegiance to the government Wednesday and became the first Ashkenazi Hareidi minister since the days of the Ben-Gurion government.

He said at the swearing-in ceremony:

“I, Yaakov Litzman, pledge…to be faithful to the government of Israel and to its laws.”

Unlike the Shas Hareidi party, Yehadut HaTorah (United Torah Judaism) has refrained from allowing its Knesset Members to become a full-fledged Cabinet minister, which would obligate them to government decisions.

Until today, the prohibition was carried out with a wink and a nod by virtue of simply allowing a UTJ MK to hold the position of “Deputy Minister” without being subordinate to a minister. In Litzman’s case, he has been “Deputy Health Minister” but a de facto minister, reporting to no one but himself and without being a member of the Cabinet.

The High Court put an end to the practice by agreeing with a complaint that there cannot be a “de facto minister.”

Torah sages last week met and agreed to allow Litzman to become a full-fledged member of the Cabinet. Today’s swearing-in ceremony was applauded by most of the opposition, including Merav Michaeli, one of the most leftist and secular members of the Zionist Camp party headed by Yitzchak Herzog.

The party, the result of a merger of the Labor party and the faction that was headed by Tzipi Livni, was part of the overwhelming majority in the 83-10 vote in favor of the appointment of Litzman.

Yisrael Beiteinu, headed Avigdor Lieberman, voted against the appointment, as did Meretz, which added that it had nothing personal against the Hareidi MK.

 

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

Court Bans Yehuda Glick from Temple Mount because He Has a Camera

Thursday, August 6th, 2015

Did you know that a camera is a tool of incitement?

The High Court on Thursday accepted a lower court ruling that Rabbi Yehuda Glick cannot visit the Temple Mount, and it refused to hold a hearing on his appeal.

It simply accepted the lower court’s decision that puts its stamp of approval on the argument by police:

The fact the Yehuda Glick ascends the Temple Mount with a camera proves he not just an innocent visitor.

Glick is the Number One enemy of the police on the Temple Mount. He never shouts, never incites and never raises a hand. That is just the type of peaceful Jew on the Temple Mount that the police and liberal establishment media cannot tolerate.

They prefer someone with a snarl on his face and words of hate on his lips.

Glick is a tough customer, but the police finally got the goods on him: He always takes a camera with him.

Photographing  Muslims in a rage against a Jew visiting the Temple Mount, especially one like Glick who believes that Jews should have the right to pray at the holy site, as provided in general terms in the Jordan-Israel peace treaty, could make problems because it is not good PR for the police, the Muslims and Jordan.

Even worse, Glick’s camera might catch the police running away from furious Muslims.

And since Glick’s appearance with a camera infuriates the Muslims, it is a tool of incitement.

Believe it or not, all of the judges have a degree in law.

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

Netanyahu Promises 804 Homes for “Settlers’ – 3 Years after Previous Pledge

Wednesday, July 29th, 2015

Question: How can 300+300=300?

Answer: When the numbers refer to homes promised by Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu for Jews in Beit El, located in Samaria and north of Jerusalem.

The Prime Minister came out with a new math book by giving his approval for the “immediate” construction of 300 new homes for Jews in Beit El and 504 units in Jerusalem neighborhoods that the Obama administration and the United Nations considered illegal “occupied” by Israel.

These are the same residential unties that the Prime Minister three years ago promised would be built.

Next math question: How can 300+0=600?

Answer: When foreign media report that Israel has given the second approval for the same 300 homes.

Given the bureaucracy involved before the bulldozers get to work, come back in another three years and we’ll see how many times they have been approved, giving the impression that we are talking about 1,200 or even 2,400 homes and apartments for Beit El.

Prime Minister Netanyahu’s announcement on the same day the High Court ordered the demolition of a housing project under construction in Beit El is far from coincidental.

The right-wing is up in arms over the decision  that nullifies government approval, based on the argument that it was granted after the project began without permits.

There are plenty of precedents for approving  construction “after the fact,” but they usually don’t apply in Judea and Samaria, unless the homes are being built by Arabs.

The Palestinian Authority, as expected, condemned Netanyahu’s’ announcement, and the U.S. State Dept. will do the same, in more diplomatic terms, when it will be asked about the “new” project by reporters.

Israel never will get a fair shake in foreign media when it comes to building for Jews.

The French AFP news agency wrote as “facts” on Wednesday:

They [settlements] are seen as further complicating peace negotiations aimed at leading to an independent Palestinian state. Talks have been stalled since last year.

The two buildings being demolished in Beit El were reportedly on private Palestinian land that was seized by the army in the 1970s…

Israel seized the West Bank in the 1967 Six-Day War and nearly 400,000 Jewish settlers currently live there.

The news agency should have just as “factually” reported that Palestinian Authority refusal to acknowledge Israel as a Jewish state further complicates peace negotiations.

AFP also should have written that there is no proof that the two buildings that now have been demolished are on “private Palestinian land.”

And its statement that “Israel seized the West Bank in the 1967 Six-Day War” is totally warped.

The Jordanian Foreign Legion fled Judea and Samaria like jackrabbits in the war, leaving the land in Israel’s hands.\

News agencies also could add in their reports Jordan occupied Judea and Samaria for 19 years, and  “occupation” is the correct word since there was no U.N. mandate for Jordan to take control of the entire region.

They could note that Jordan denied  Jews and Christians to holy sites in “East Jerusalem.”

They also could tell their readers that after 19 years of benign neglect by Jordan – and even worse neglect of Gaza by Egypt – the Arab economy and society flourished under the Israeli “occupation,” until the intifada wrecked everything.

But they won’t report any of that. They simply cannot do so because most foreign journalists work under the assumption that Israel is wrong, if for no other reason than the United States and the European Union say it is wrong.

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

Hundreds of Police Force Protesters out of Beit El Buildings [video]

Tuesday, July 28th, 2015

The government “celebrated” the 10th anniversary of the expulsion of Jews from Gaza and four Shomron communities early Tuesday morning by staging a pre-emptive sweep on hundreds of protesters who had barred themselves up in two buildings slated for demolition Thursday.

The High Court has ordered the destruction of the “Dreinoff” housing project, named after their developer, after accepting Arab and leftists’ petitions that they were erected without permits.

The court’s decision overruled the Civil Administration’s retroactive approval of the building project.

Tuesday morning’s clash was a duplicate of the expulsion 10 years and two days ago and again a year later in Amona.

Black-clad police along with Border Police used riot dispersing methods, including pepper spray, to easily but violently overcome the protesters, mostly youth, and took over the building.

More than 50 demonstrators were detained.

The military explained:

In accordance with the High Court of Justice ruling and with the goal of preparing for the evacuation and demolition of the skeleton of the ‘ Dreinoff ‘ buildings in the community of Beit El, the decision was made to deploy a Border Police force in the complex earlier this morning.

In order to prevent [settlers] from barricading themselves in the buildings and thus reduce the tension and violence in the area so as to enable the demolition to proceed as planned, a Border Police force was placed in the building.

Knesset Member Moti Yogev, whose arm was broken in the brutal police violence at Amona nine years ago, warned that the “if the Dreinoff buildings will be demolished, the court will remain in Israel but it is not certain that there will be a government,” meaning that he might urge the Bayit Yehudi (Jewish Home) party to tear down the coalition.

Agriculture Minister Uri Ariel also warned that the government is in danger and accused Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon of breaking his promise the day before that police would not pounce on the protesters.

“Been there, done that.”

The same promise was made by then-Defense Minister Ehud Barak several years ago hours before he ordered the police to violently remove Jews from a building in Hebron. Eventually, the courts accepted appeals from Jews that the building was legally purchased

The Beit El Regional Council is planning to appeal to the High Court this week to cancel the planned demolition.

Below are four videos and three Tazpit News Agency photos of the clashes that began before dawn Tuesday, They are more suitable for viewing on Tisha B’Av.

beit-el-portest-clash-tazpit

beti-el-protyest-tazpit

beit-el-protester-tazpit

Tzvi Ben-Gedalyahu

Could Attorney General’s Report Trigger New Elections?

Thursday, May 14th, 2015

Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein reported to Prime Minister Netanyahu that he would find it difficult to defend the appointments of MK Aryeh Deri (Shas) as a Minister, and of MK Yoav Galant (Kulanu) as Minister of Construction if the High Court were to decide against their appointments.

Aryeh Deri served prison time for graft, and while there are no legal impediments to his appointment anymore, Weinstein believes the High Court could decide otherwise if someone were to actually petition them against Deri.

Galant, on the other hand, was accused of expanding his house, building a private road and planting an olive grove on public land, which makes his appointment as Minister of Construction somewhat ironic. Galant lost his appointment as IDF Chief of Staff due to the scandal.

If Aryeh Deri loses his ministerial position, he could pull Shas out of the coalition, and cause everything to fall apart.

Weinstein’s report and statement that he might not be able to defend the appointments could trigger a series of events that bring about new elections.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel/could-attorney-generals-report-trigger-new-elections/2015/05/14/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: