web analytics
July 26, 2016 / 20 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Illegal construction’

MKs Call For Action Against Illegal Construction Financed By The EU

Wednesday, January 13th, 2016

By Jonathan Benedek/TPS

Jerusalem (TPS) – In light of a recently discovered road illegally built in Area C (territory in Judea and Samaria under full Israeli control), the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Subcommittee on Judea and Samaria convened this morning to discuss the continued illegal Palestinian construction financed by the European Union.

“There is a serious reality of illegal Arab construction of hundreds of thousands of buildings on state lands in Area C of Judea and Samaria,” said Subcommittee Chairman MK Moti Yogev (Jewish Home) as he began the discussion. “This is simply terrorist construction by the Palestinian Authority, funded by EU countries, amounting to 110 million euros a year.”

Yogev also accused the Civil Administration in Judea and Samaria of failing to prevent the illegal construction. “The Civil Administration is operating with neglect or, more accurately, not operating at all. It is not exercising its control and it is abandoning the area,” charged MK Yogev.

The subcommittee chairman also spoke out against what he viewed as unequal treatment of illegal Jewish construction versus illegal Palestinian construction.

“There is just lawlessness and a lack of proportionality on the part of the Judea and Samaria legal counsel and the enforcement agencies,” contended MK Yogev.

“If we were talking about illegal Jewish construction, it would have been enforced a long time ago,” he continued. “In practice, illegal Jewish construction percentage levels are lower by hundreds of percentage points yet Jewish construction is more strictly enforced while almost nothing is done to stop illegal Palestinian construction.”

Civil Administration Deputy Commander Colonel Uri Mendes disputed MK Yogev’s claim that the Civil Administration applies disproportionate standards to the handling of illegal construction.

“We are not ignoring any illegal construction,” Mendes stressed. “We are operating according to the law. We respond to and destroy any illegal construction that has no temporary court injunction.”

Colonel Mendes referred to a recent instance when the Civil Administration destroyed illegally constructed buildings financed by the European Union. “Just last week, we destroyed five buildings and confiscated a number of tents that were financed by the European Union,” Mendes said.

Meanwhile, other MKs joined MK Yogev in speaking out against the illegal Palestinian construction that has been sponsored by the European Union.

“This illegal Palestinian construction is a flagrant violation of the agreements signed by the EU,” said MK Michael Oren (Kulanu), a former Israeli Ambassador to the US. “This is a blatant attempt by the Europeans to force the establishment of a Palestinian state without negotiations.”

”We have a right and a duty to prevent this,” continued Oren. ”If we do not act against this massive project, then we will be confronted with an impossible situation.”

Likud MK Amir Ohana concurred on the need to immediately address the European Union over the issue in light of the European Commission’s recent decision to label Jewish-Israeli products from Judea and Samaria. “We here in Israel must call out the European Union and destroy their illegal projects now of all times while it is labeling us.”

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Netanyahu Cancels Demolition of Illegal Arab Homes Due to Tensions

Tuesday, October 20th, 2015

(JNi.media) Prime Minister Netanyahu has been urging the Jerusalem municipality to speed up the demolition of houses belonging terrorists’ families in response to the wave of Arab violence, but according to an Army Radio report Tuesday, since the wave of terror began, the PM’s office has been ordering the cancellation of demolitions of illegal construction in east Jerusalem. Some call it awarding terrorism, others an attempt to avoid an even greater escalation.

In the heart of Beit Hanina, a predominantly Palestinian neighborhood five miles north of central Jerusalem, on the road to Ramallah, stands a large apartment building that was built illegally and has been slated for demolition for 10 years. On Monday it was scheduled to finally come down, when, at the last moment, it received the municipal equivalent of a reprieve from the governor: the Jerusalem municipality received a call from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s staff, spelling out: “Because of the security tensions you do not have authorization to demolish the building.”

MK Moti Yogev (Bayit Yehudi) told Army Radio that this constitutes a surrender to terrorism: “These are very serious elements of the loss of sovereignty, and this loss brings with it the loss of security — they’re links in a chain.” Yogev added: “When there is no law enforcement in simple areas like construction, trade, parking and transportation, it gives rise to nationalistic and security crime.”

According to Jerusalem municipal officials, the building in question claimed not only was built illegally, but it also is an eyesore harming the appearance of the neighborhood, and the need to demolish it is not political.

The demolition of the structure in question has already passed through the entire judicial hierarchy, including the Supreme Court, and the security agencies were positioned and ready to enter the neighborhood with an overwhelming force to facilitate the demolitions, when the last minute phone call came from Netanyahu’s office and the demolition was postponed until further notice.

JNi.Media

“The EU Funds Illegal Construction” Claims a Report by Israeli NGO

Thursday, February 5th, 2015

According to a special report by “Regavim”, an Israeli NGO, the EU is actively funding and supporting the creation of illegal Bedouin villages in Area C. The EU provides the Bedouin with caravans which replace their traditional tents, thus creating permanent villages.

The report claims the new villages are created with no coordination or approval by the Israeli authorities which hold sovereignty over Area C by law.

In the Oslo Accord, the territory known as the West Bank was divided into three areas: A, B and C. Area C is the only area under full Israeli sovereignty; therefore construction projects need to be approved by Israel’s Civilian Administration. Ovad Arad, the Judea and Samaria Field Coordinator at Regavim explained the magnitude of the EU’s activity. “Between 2012-2014 the EU has actively promoted the illegal building of approximately 400 houses, replacing traditional Bedouin tents. The houses can be seen all over Area C – aluminum caravans with the EU’s sticker on them,” he told Tazpit News Agency.

“Imagine a hypothetical situation in which the EU is actively building permanent residence for the Romani gypsies in southern France or Spain, without any governmental approval,” Arad told Tazpit News Agency. “This would be unheard of”.

Shadi Othman, the communication and information officer for the EU office in East Jerusalem claims the illegal building is part of humanitarian aid provided lawfully by the EU. “The buildings are not permanent, they have no infrastructure, and they were built before the 2013 snowstorm. Furthermore, Area C is an integral part of the West-Bank and Palestine, we are fully mandated to provide humanitarian aid for communities there,” Othman told Tazpit News Agency.

Othman also claims the EU’s notifies Israeli authorities on its actions.

Meir Deutsch, Regavim’s Policy Coordinator spoke to Tazpit News Agency and explained the problematic aspect of the EU’s activities. “According to the Oslo accord and international law, the state of Israel holds sovereignty over Area C. Therefore, the Israeli Civil Administration is the only authority eligible to approve new buildings or villages. The EU dose not coordinates the construction of permanent Bedouins villages; it acts unilaterally on the field and shapes reality in accordance with the Palestinian interests.”

“The houses given to the Bedouins are permanent; a temporary house has wheels on it and therefore can be mobilized from place to place. These EU Aluminum caravans have no wheels whatsoever,” Deutsch told Tazpit News.

Deutsch dismisses the claim the aluminum caravans were distributed to help the Bedouins cope with the harsh December 2013 snowstorm, “the EU started handing those caravans in 2012, well before anyone knew a snowstorm will hit the country. In addition, Area C rarely gets any snow, so suggesting the caravans were handed for that purpose seems absurd to me,” he told Tazpit News. Deutsch also dismisses the EU’s claim of providing humanitarian support. “We don’t see the EU providing humanitarian support for Bedouins which live under the same humanitarian conditions in Egypt, Jordan, Syria, or other parts of Israel for that matter,” he told Tazpit News.

Deutsch elaborates and highlights the EU’s objection to the “noayma plan”, an Israeli plan to give Area C Bedouins lands for free and build them a new city, north of Jericho. “The EU opposed the Noayma plan. It had the potential to create a permanent residence for Bedouins. If the EU is honestly concerned with the Bedouin’s humanitarian situation, it could have supported the plan,” Deutsch told Tazpit News.

Regavim’s report accuses the EU for double standard towards the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The report points to the fact the EU criticizes’ Israel whenever it takes unilateral steps, while actively participating in unilateral Palestinian steps. Therefore, the EU promotes Palestinian goals and interests at the expense of Israeli interests, and with no regard to any regional political implications.
According to the report, the actions taken by the EU undermine legitimate Israeli sovereignty, while exacerbating and fueling the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Yotam Rozenwald / Tazpit News Agency

EU Illegally Building Structures in Area C with PA

Wednesday, October 8th, 2014

The Regavim organization discovered that the European Union together with the Palestinian Authority are illegally building school buildings and other structures along Road 60 near the town of Adam in the Binyamin region.

The section is in Area C, which is under full Israeli control.

Regavim says the EU is trying to create facts on the ground, and test Israeli’s interest and capability to protect its land from PA incursions and treaty breaches.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Begin’s Bedouin Blunder

Friday, February 8th, 2013

On Thursday, the Regavim NGO appealed to the Israeli Supreme Court to try to stop the implementation of Beni Begin’s hastily passed plan to transfer 220,000 dunams (54,000 acres) of Negev land to the Bedouin.

But facts on the ground, may have done two-thirds of the work for Regavim.

According to a report in Friday’s Makor Rishon, in their rush to pass the bill, the government never took upon itself to do the basic due diligence that such a serious bill requires.

It turns out that from the 220,000 dunams, 30% belongs to the Electric Company, Bezeq, and Mekorot and is used for their infrastructure, the rest of that 30% includes roads, and the planned train route. Much of that land is also not stable enough for building buildings on it.

Another 80,000 dunam are owned by the IDF, which has army bases located on it, including the famous Tze’elim training base and the infantry school in Yerucham. With the current plan to move many of the army bases in the center of the country down south to the Negev, as well as the lack of large training areas outside of the Negev, it’s unlike these bases will be moving to accommodate the Bedouin.

Another 10,000 dunam are owned, title and all, by Jews (who bought the land, unlike the Bedouin who are squatting on it), on which the Ministry of Building and Construction already has planned to build a new Jewish settlement.

And then,  there is also an airfield in that area, and the law forbids housing construction near any airfields.

At best, there’s only 85,000 dunams (21,000 acres) available to implement Beni Begins Bedouin land grab plan from the 220,000 in the original plan.

It’s not clear how this deficit will affect the plan, but it is clear that Beni Begin didn’t do his homework.

Jewish Press Staff

Police Gear Up for Arab Riots in Musmus

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

Police are preparing for Arab riots, as Otzma L’Yisrael political leader Michael Ben-Ari and his party’s supporters are planning a march inside the Arab town of Musmus in the Wadi Ara region on Tuesday.

They will be marching under the slogan of, “Without duties, there are no rights.”

Ben-Ari claims that many Israeli Arabs, and even entire villages are not not paying taxes, building illegally, and generally ignoring the laws of the state.

Police are expecting a large, and potentially violent counter-protest in the village. Residents of the village have called for a general strike today, and hundreds have been reported as protesting at the junction at the entrance to the village.

Musmus is located just north of Um El Fahm, and 13 miles east of Zichron Yaacov.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/police-gear-up-for-arab-riots-in-musmus/2013/01/15/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: