web analytics
April 18, 2015 / 29 Nisan, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Israel Security Agency’

UPDATED: Jewish Man Missing, Kidnapping Suspected Near Hebron

Thursday, April 2nd, 2015

Israeli security forces continue to search for a 22-year-old Jewish man who went missing around 4:20 pm Thursday afternoon. Both he and the friend with whom he was driving in the area are residents of Be’er Sheva, according to a report on Israel’s Channel 2 television.

Police received a call at the Judea and Samaria District Police 100 Center from a man who said his friend had gone to look for tools to fix a flat tire. It had been more than an hour since he left, but had not yet returned.

IDF operating in Beit Anoun, near the Jewish community of Kiryat Arba and the city of Hebron.

IDF operating in Beit Anoun, near the Jewish community of Kiryat Arba and the city of Hebron.

Palestinian media have already published a photo of the man, as well as his name, but these details are being withheld from Israeli media under gag order.

The incident occurred after the car in which he and his friend were driving broke down at the Beit Anoun junction outside Hebron, near the Jewish community of Kiryat Arba.

Israel Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told Jewish Press.com that police officers and IDF troops immediately launched an intensive search which has since widened to include the areas around the Palestinian Authority towns of Halhul and El Aroub, both located north of Beit Anoun and Hebron.

Officials said the missing man was wearing a KKL hoodie and a pair of jeans.

Israel Police and Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) forces have continued to operate at the intelligence level in the area as well, and by nightfall were working on the assumption he had been kidnapped.

Roads leading to and from the village of Beit Anoun via Highway 60 and Highway 35 were closed in order to stymie any potential kidnappers.

The area of Beit Anoun is close to Hebron and the Jewish community of Kiryat Arba.

Beit Anoun is close to Hebron and the Jewish community of Kiryat Arba.

7:34 PM There are reports that the car did not have a flat tire, and it was parked close to Kiryat Arba so there was no reason for the man to enter Beit Anoun when Kiryat Arba was closer. The explanation the friend gave is problematic; he is being questioned again by security personnel.

The man also left his telephone in the car; it’s not clear whether that was deliberate or accidental.

Regardless of the reason the man entered the Arab village, however, Israeli forces are treating his disappearance as a full-blown security incident.

The area around Halhul and El Aroub is now closed as IDF troops move from house to house searching for the missing man, whose identity still has not been released for publication.

8:09 PM His friend who stayed with the car is a Bedouin. The car did not have a flat tire, but it appears someone did release some air from the tire to make it look flat.

Security forces suspect this began as criminal activity, but has ended up a nationalistic kidnapping, according to Channel 10.

8:13 pm Channel 2 reported that the friend has changed his version of the story three times in telling it to the security forces.

9:20 pm A field command center has been set up in the Kiryat Arba gas station as the search for the missing Israeli mans continues and expands.

IDF, Shin Bet End 3-Day Spat

Friday, November 14th, 2014

While Israel is facing a third intifada and its security personnel are dealing with enemies from within and without, apparently they are squabbling among themselves as well.

It took the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) and the IDF three days to reconcile their differences in a spat over a claim the IDF ignored Shin Bet warnings in the summer about impending war.

On Friday, IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz and Shin Bet director Yoram Cohen met to settle the dispute.

The IDF has vehemently denied claims by the Shin Bet that army brass ignored its warnings Hamas was preparing to launch a full-scale war against Israel in July.

Officials on both sides also emphasize that despite the dispute, which was public, both agencies maintained full joint cooperation.

“During the conversation, measures were agreed upon to further advance the cooperation between the two organizations on behalf of the security of the State of Israel,” said a joint statement issued by the two entities following the meeting.

Both were ordered by Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to end the conflict.

“The cooperation between (the IDF and the Shin Bet) is a basic element of our national security,” said the prime minister in a statement on Thursday, Nov. 13. “This cooperation led to significant results on the battlefield during Operation Protective Edge. It saved many lives. Thus I, as a prime minister, am responsible for seeing to it that this cooperation continues, because the security of the citizens of Israel always comes before any disagreement.”

Israel Names 2 Hamas Suspects in Teens’ Kidnap

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

The Shin Bet has cleared for publication that it suspects Hamas Hevron terrorists Amer Abu Aisha and Marwan Kawasmeh played pivotal roles in the kidnapping of three Israeli teens.

Eyal Yifrach, 19, Naftali Frenkel, 16 and Gilad Sha’ar, 16, were kidnapped while hitchhiking home from yeshiva in Gush Etzion on June 12.

Security forces from the Shin Bet and IDF have worked together in Operation Brother’s Keeper to hunt for Kawasmeh, 29, and Abu Aisha, 32, almost since the night the boys were kidnapped, according to the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet).

“Since then, the Shin Bet and IDF have conducted a wide-scale search aimed at capturing the wanted suspects. The first aim is to track down the location of the abducted youths,” the Shin Bet said in a statement released to media Thursday night.

Both previously have served time in Israeli prisons, and both are missing from their homes.

Kawasmeh, a barber, has in the past been detained both by Israel and the Palestinian Authority forces.  His uncle, Abdullah Kawasmeh, served as commander of the Hamas military wing in Hevron until he was killed in a clash with Israeli security forces in November 2003.

Kawasmeh himself was first arrested and convicted at age 18, serving a 10 month prison sentence for Hamas-related terror activity. He was subsequently arrested four more times, and held under administrative detention at least twice. In 2010 he confessed under interrogation to being recruited a year earlier by the Hevron regional Hamas military wing. He participated in military training in local caves, learning how to find raw materials to assemble bombs. He also took part in recruiting other Palestinian Authority youths to Hamas. He was again convicted and sent to prison, where he served time until March 2012. His four brothers, all associated with Hamas, were arrested the day after the boys were kidnapped, as was his wife — who was released 24 hours later.

Abu Aisha, a locksmith who is married with three children, was first arrested in November 2005 at age 24, at about the same time his brother Zaid, also a Hamas terrorist, was killed while trying to throw an explosive at IDF soldiers. Abu Aisha was placed under administrative detention until the following June, then freed until he was re-arrested in April 2007, when he spent several weeks in custody again. In addition, Abu Aisha’s father Omar was arrested and convicted by Israel, serving prison time a number of times for Hamas terrorist activity as well.

Security personnel have intensively interrogated the wives of both men in the Hares neighborhood where they both live, according to Palestinian Authority media, but the report has not been confirmed by Israeli sources. Both men reportedly attend prayers together regularly at the same mosque, but neither has been seen since the night of the kidnapping.

Other suspects connected with the two and who are also suspected as accessories in the operation have already been arrested as well, counter-terrorism officials said.

Nearly 400 Palestinian Authority Arabs have been arrested by security forces sweeping through Judea and Samaria as part of Operation Brother’s Keeper on their search for the kidnapped teens. Some sites around the Hevron area have been searched two or three times — and are going to be searched again, officials said. In many private homes in the region IDF soldiers have discovered secret tunnels, chambers, and illegal weapons caches. Tucked away in the hills and terraces around the area the forces have found previously unknown caves, cisterns, and other possible places where terrorists may have hidden their captives.

Despite the impending holy Islamic month of Ramadan, Operation Brother’s Keeper will continue ‘full force,’ Israeli officials have said. The government had weighed the possibility of scaling back operations but in the face of fierce opposition from the families of the teens as well as the Israeli public, the security cabinet reconsidered the decision.

Shin Bet Foils Terror Kidnap Attempt

Thursday, May 22nd, 2014

An Islamic Jihad terrorist plot to kidnap an Israeli was foiled recently in a joint operation by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) and Israel Police.

Had the plan succeeded, Murad Hassan Ali-Hassan, 25, would have grabbed his victim from home in the lower Galilee village of Avtalion – making him the next ‘Gilad Shalit.’

Ali-Hassan, a member of the Iranian-backed Islamic Jihad terror organization, was jailed in 2008 and 2009 for plotting to stab an IDF soldier at a security checkpoint. He confessed to the plot under questioning after his arrest.

“On April 19, 2014, he attempted to enter a house in Avtalion near Karmiel, armed with a knife, in order to kidnap one of the home’s residents for the purpose of negotiating the release of Palestinian [security] prisoners. The plot failed after he was chased away from the area by the home’s residents,” the Shin Bet said in its statement.

The suspect was formally charged Thursday in Haifa District Court with attempted kidnapping for murder or blackmail, breaking and entering, aggravated assault, armed offenses and deliberately endangering human life on a transportation route.

Ali-Hassan also “confessed during questioning by the Shin Bet to carrying out a number of [prior] attempted terror attacks in the Misgav Region in April 2014, including an attempted abduction,” the agency said.

In addition, he confessed to an attempt to torch a local forest with a firebomb (Molotov cocktail) and to hurling firebombs at vehicles with Israeli license plates traveling along Route 7955, near the Avtalion-Maslahit junction and near Kibbutz Eshbal. No one was injured in either of the incidents.

Although he acted alone, officials pointed to the need to complete construction of the security barrier that separates PA territory from the rest of Israel and which has prevented terrorists from infiltrating to commit countless suicide bombings.

Since 2012, Palestinian Authority Arabs who entered pre-1967 areas of the country illegally have managed to bomb a bus in Tel Aviv and murdered two IDF soldiers.

IDF Targets Terrorist Responsible for Eilat Rocket Fire

Tuesday, April 30th, 2013

In a joint operation of the IDF and the ISA (Israel Security Agency, or Shin Bet security service), a Global Jihad-affiliated terrorist has been targeted by an IAF aircraft in the northern Gaza Strip, in retaliation for rocket fire aimed at Israel. A direct hit was confirmed.

The targeted terrorist was Hithem Ziad Ibrahim Masshal, a 24-year-old resident of the Shati Refugee Camp.

On April 17, 2013, Masshal was involved in the Shura Council organization’s firing of rockets at the southern Israeli city of Eilat.

Masshal was active in different Jihad Salafi terror organizations and over the past few years has been a key terror figure, specializing in weapons and working with all of the terror organizations in the Gaza Strip.

Masshal manufactured, improved and traded different types of ammunition. He specialized in rockets and explosive devices, which he sold to terror organizations. He assisted the Shura Council of the Mujahaideen in Jerusalem, an organization consisting of Salafi operatives under the Global Jihad, and he was involved in extensive terror activity against Israeli civilians and IDF soldiers.

Terror Network Apprehended Near Bethlehem

Friday, March 29th, 2013

The Israel Security Agency (ISA or Shin Bet), in coordinated efforts with the IDF and Israel Police, arrested a large terror network over the course of January and February of this year. The network was based in Beit Fajjar near Bethlehem. The network’s operatives, members of Fatah-Tanzim, carried out a large number of shooting and firebomb attacks using improvised weapons against the Israeli town of Migdal Oz. None of the attacks resulted in casualties.

Following investigations, the members of the network confessed to having carried out the attacks as well as having planned more shooting attacks in the Gush Etzion region. Their arrests prevented the operatives from executing their plans. The investigations led to the confiscation of six improvised weapons and a dummy explosive device.

Among the leaders of the network arrested by security forces are: Rafat Mohammad Isa Takatka (32), Rafat Mahmoud Musa Hian (31), Anas Halami Taleb Takatka (24), Sachiv Abed Eljamil Hassan Takatka (24) and Ahmad Anwar Mohammad Takatka (27).

Indictments were brought against the terrorists in the military court in Judea for severe security violations including: shooting at a person, membership of an illegal organization, manufacturing weapons and possession of explosive objects.

There has been a significant increase in terror activity in and around Beit Fajjar, and therefore more than 50 operatives from the village have been brought in for questioning in order to prevent further acts of terror.

IDF Apprehended Stone Throwers before Passover Closure

Monday, March 25th, 2013

General closure is being imposed Monday night at midnight on Judea and Samaria, to last through the first two days of the Passover holiday. The closure was a decision made by the new Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon. No traffic will be permitted except for humanitarian and other special cases.

On Sunday, one day ahead of the closure, a joint operation of the IDF, the ISA (Israel Security Agency or Shin Bet) and the Israel Police apprehended five Arabs who played a role in the rock-hurling incident near the Israeli city of Ariel on March 14, the IDF Spokesperson’s office reported.

The Arabs responsible for the attack hurled rocks at Israeli civilian vehicles traveling on a main road near Kifl Haris, striking several vehicles. As a result, a resident of the community of Yakir, who was traveling with three of her daughters, lost control of her vehicle and hit a truck. The driver and two of her daughters were moderately injured, and a third was critically injured and remains hospitalized.

Security forces took immediate action in order to identify those responsible for the attack. During the investigation, five residents of Kifl Haris confessed to their involvement in the attack. The investigation is still ongoing.

The past few months saw an increase in similar acts of terrorism by rock hurling. The serious results of Kifl Haris incident convey how lethal this type of “mischievous” act can be.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/idf-apprehended-stone-throwers-before-passover-closure/2013/03/25/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: