web analytics
April 18, 2014 / 18 Nisan, 5774
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Jericho’

US State Dept. Continues Stiff Travel Warings in Israel

Tuesday, February 4th, 2014

U.S. government employees are forbidden from traveling anywhere on personal business in Judea and Samaria except for Bethlehem and Jericho, according to the government’s latest travel advisory.

In language softer than previous warnings that scared the dickens out of anyone even thinking of visiting Israel, the advisory pointed out, “Over three million foreign citizens, including hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens, safely visit Israel and the West Bank each year for study, tourism, and business. The Government of Israel and the Palestinian Authority make considerable efforts to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations. Nonetheless, U.S. citizens should also take into consideration the rules governing travel by U.S. government employees.”

For example, “U.S. government personnel are not permitted to use public buses anywhere in Israel or the West Bank due to past attacks on public transportation.”

That limitation was reinforced after a bombing of a bus in Tel Aviv late last year in which passengers were miraculously saved by quick thinking of a passenger and the bus driver, who evacuated everyone moments before the bomb left on the bus by a terrorist exploded.

According to that logic, Americans should stay off Interstate 81 in Maryland and Pennsylvania because of last month’s murder of a 28-year-old man who was gunned down on the highway near the border between the two states.

PA Cancels Peace Talks – IDF Ambushed then Used Live Fire, 3 Dead

Monday, August 26th, 2013

The Palestinian Authority cancelled the ‘peace’ talks that were to take place on Monday, August 26.  The PA cancelled Monday’s scheduled talks because three Arab Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces who had been ambushed in an Arab town.

The Arab Palestinian version of events is that the Israeli Defense Forces shot and killed three young Arab Palestinians.  That is also the story being told by most major media outlets.

The reality is that IDF troops entered the Arab Palestinian town of Qalandriya before dawn Monday morning, in search of a terror suspect.  Somehow their cover was blown and when residents of the town learned that Israeli soldiers were in their midst, it became open season on the IDF soldiers.

According to a Border Police spokesperson, upon hearing of the IDF presence “1,500 Palestinians poured into the streets and attacked the officers with firebombs and rocks.”

As reported earlier by The Jewish Press, police testimony regarding the incident revealed that the confrontation between the villagers and the IDF posed a “real and present danger” to the lives of the troops.  “An initial investigation revealed that the officers used riot dispersal means, including the Roger rifle, which fires ammunition at lower and thus less dangerous speeds.”

“The meeting that was to take place in Jericho … today was cancelled because of the Israeli crime committed in Qalandia today,” an Arab Palestinian official told AFP.

Rovin Fayez Zaed, 35, and Younis Jahjouh, 23, were pronounced dead at a Ramallah hospital. Jihad Aslan, 17, died from his wounds shortly thereafter, and approximately a dozen were wounded.

The Jewish Press reported that Jahjouh was released from prison as part of the 2011 Shalit deal.

The IDF’s Spokesperson’s Unit said that, “during an overnight operation for the arrest of a suspect in Qalandiya, a riot involving hundreds of Palestinians who attacked the security forces erupted. Early details suggest that an IDF force supporting the troops was trying to rescue them and that fire was opened at the assailants when the situation became life threatening.”

The IDF further noted that the suspect, a terrorist, was arrested and turned over for questioning with security forces. “The circumstances behind the incident will be investigated.”

PLO official Hanan Ashrawi strongly denounced Israel’s incursion into the camp, the Arab Palestinian media outlet Ma’an reported.

“Israel’s use of excessive and indiscriminate violence and live ammunition in densely populated civilian areas represents a blatant violation of international and humanitarian law.”

A video of the response by villagers upon learning of the presence of Israelis in Qalandriya reveals what Ms. Ashrawi would have the world believe was a peaceful village of Arabs who were attacked by Israeli soldiers, with no provocation.

Despite unequivocal statements from Arab leadership, the U.S. State Department denied that the talks were cancelled.  Spokesperson Marie Harf told reporters, “I can assure you that no meeting has been cancelled.”

 

 

Israel and Palestinian Authority Resume Secret Talks

Tuesday, August 20th, 2013

Israeli and Palestinian Authority negotiators met for a second round of hush-hush peace talks on Tuesday, reportedly in Jericho. The first round of talks was held last week in Jerusalem, and so far, both sides have more or less kept to a pledge of secrecy requested by  U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

The Israeli negotiators are Justice Minister Tzipi Livni and the prime minister’s representative, attorney Isaac Molcho. The Palestinian negotiators are Saeb Erekat and Dr. Mohammed Shtayyeh, a senior Fatah official.

While staying mum on the talks, Erekat has been trying his best to create the impression that the negotiations are only a ploy until the United States forces Israel to accept all of the Palestinian Authority conditions.

He told an Israeli Arab radio station Tuesday that the United States committed in writing that the Temporary Armistice Lines of 1949, which existed until the Six-Day War in 1967, will be the basis for a future Palestinian Authority country.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/israel-and-palestinian-authority-resume-secret-talks/2013/08/20/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: