web analytics
April 19, 2015 / 30 Nisan, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘JEWS’

Ukraine Conflict Transforming to ‘Russia versus the West’

Tuesday, February 17th, 2015

Despite a cease-fire that went into effect one minute after midnight on Sunday, the conflict has apparently resumed between pro-Russia separatists and Ukraine government forces, but with clear Russian involvement.

The European Union has responded by activating sanctions against nine organizations and 19 people in Russia, including two Russian deputy defense ministers and Iosef Kobzon, age 77 — a Jewish man known as the “Russian Frank Sinatra.”

Kobzon is a long-time member of the Russian parliament. Sanctions were imposed against him because he “visited the so-called Donetsk People’s Repubic and during his visit made statements supporting separatists” after the Kremlin annexed Crimea, seizing it from Ukraine, the EU Official Journal explained. Donetsk is Kobzon’s birthplace.

For weeks the Russian-backed separatists have been focusing their attention on laying siege to the railway hub of Debaltseve, which so far has remained under the control of the Ukraine forces.

U.S. State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said at a briefing over the weekend that photos snapped in eastern Ukraine provided “credible pieces of evidence” that Russia herself – and not just separatist rebels – has been involved in the conflict.

“We are confident that [large amounts of artillery and multiple rocket launchers seen in the images around Debaltseve] are Russian military, not separatist systems,” Psaki said.

Secretary of State John Kerry spoke with his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, in a phone conversation on Saturday to discuss the situation. Kerry expressed concern over what he called efforts by Russia and separatists to cut off the town ahead of the cease-fire.

Artillery fire was also exchanged in massive shootouts around the rebel-held regions of both Donetsk and Lugansk. Rocket attacks were directed at areas around the government-held Azov Sea port city of Mariupol on Saturday as well.

Last week a teacher at the Chabad-Lubavitch preschool was killed in Donetsk when a rocket slammed into her apartment, killing her instantly. Irina Shelkayeba was an active member of the Donetsk Jewish community and a teacher at the Ohr Avner Preschool, Rabbi Aryeh Schvartz told Chabad.org.

The Beth Menachem synagogue – the only synagogue left in Donetsk – survived a narrow miss in a rocket attack that followed Shelkayeba’s death the same day. Instead, a minibus in a bus station some 300 meters away was hit by a shell in an attack that followed on the heels of the one that killed Shelkayeba.

Four people were killed in that attack, including the driver of the bus, which was incinerated along with a nearby vehicle. Nevertheless, the synagogue’s morning minyan (quorum) gathered to pray the regular morning service 90 minutes later as it does each day. Emergency food and supply packages sponsored by the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews were then distributed at the Jewish Community Center next door to the synagogue.

The city’s Chabad emissary, Rabbi Pinchas Vishedski, said, “We have recently known many especially difficult and terrible days. I ask that Jews worldwide pray for their brethren in the war-torn territories – for everyone living in danger – and that they should all have peace and security.”

‘Settlers’ Committee Launches Idiotic Anti-EU Video [video]

Sunday, February 15th, 2015

A home-grown committee in Samaria (Shomron) has launched a new video that describes the European Union and leftist Jews as anti-Zionists but is in such poor taste that it is an embarrassment to “settlers” and Jews anywhere in the world.

The content is accurate, but the medium is the message, and this one flunks.

The video, as seen below, shows a negative caricature of a European leader reading a newspaper with a design similar to the left-wing Haaretz and giving money to leftist Jews in return for dispatching propaganda against the IDF. When the European leader finally has achieved his aim, he tells the Jew to get lost, and the video then shows him being hanged.

The caricatures in the clip include suggestive references to Nazi Germany and a comparison of Haaretz with the former Nazi newspaper.

The clip concludes with a clear message comparing the European Union to Nazis, and it states, “The Europeans perhaps appear to use today as being different, but you appear to them the same as before.”
Haaretz’ Hebrew edition reported a reply to the clip from the Shomron committee chairman Benny Katzover, who explained:

In the past several years, there has been increasing support by groups and foreign governments for extreme left-wing groups in Israel. The objective of the groups is to ruin the lives of Jews in Israel, especially those in Judea and Samaria, with funding of millions of Euros.
The objective of the video clip is to make it clear that at best, leftist organizations in Israel like idiots on behalf of modern anti-Semites, and at worst, act to destroy Israel as the national home of the Jewish People.

Katzover is absolutely correct, but the video is in such poor taste that settlers should be embarrassed. It is a continuation of tactics of old-guard leaders in Judea and Samaria who justify all means to justify their campaign, no matter how much their childish stunts damage the image of all settlers and those who support them.
Haaretz challenged Naftali Bennett, chairman of the Bayit Yehudi (Jewish Home), to repudiate the clip.

Here is the video. Judge for yourself.

Turkey’s President Erdogan Takes a Shot at Jewish Blessings

Sunday, February 8th, 2015

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan took a sly swing at the Jewish faith late last week during a speech at an award ceremony organized by the country’s Roma community in Bursa.

The barb came within what started out as a positive comment — as Erdogan’s barbs often do.

In accepting the “Great Roman” award on Feb. 6, Erdogan mentioned that he grew up in Kasimpasa, a neighborhood in Istanbul that was home to many Roma as well. “I know the Roma culture,” he said, and then began condemning racism, Islamophobia and discrimination, the Hurriyet Daily News reported.

“I am addressing to those who talk about women’s rights. Why don’t you raise your voice against the Jews who thank God in their prayers that they were not created as women? Was there any other understanding, a logic as demeaning for women as this one?”

The snide remark is a deliberate misinterpretation of one of the morning blessings recited by men — and women (the women’s version states praise to God that they were created as He desired) in recognition of their different roles and responsibilities in Jewish life.

In October 2014, a Haaretz reporter commented in an article that “Turkey, once a safe haven for Jews, now outranks Iran in harboring anti-Semitic sentiment.” An unnamed security coordinator told the reporter that Jews living in Istanbul “try to keep a low profile.”

Haaretz is not a right-wing newspaper. It is a liberal, left-wing news outlet that goes out of its way to “see the other side,” sometimes to the exclusion of noticing that of its country of origin. But one of the Turkish Jews with whom the reporter spoke said, “For the Jewish people there is no life in Istanbul.” Nevertheless, she added that she feels “very Turkish” and still wants “to live here all my life if it’s possible.”

If it’s possible. Once no Jew would have questioned that. Many of the Jews who live now in Turkey are the descendants of those who came to the Ottoman Empire as refugees from Spain in 1492. Others married in after having come to the country as tourists, some from Israel. Most have now fled in fear for their lives.

It was the anti-Jewish riots in the 1930s in Turkey that prodded the first Jews to flee. Political pressures that followed frightened the Jews that remained, and slowly the flood became a steady bleed. As Turkey drew closer to Iran and a more radical Islamic attitude over the past decade, the Jews once more were threatened by those around them. The Sephardic Jewish Center in Istanbul today is secured by multiple locks and hidden other systems; one has to know where to find it and how to access it just to be able to enter its doors.

The threats were aided and abetted by then-Prime Minister, and today President Recep Tayyid Erdogan, whose anti-Semitic bordered on vitriolic during the times Israel was forced to defend herself against Gaza’s ruling Hamas terrorists, who are members of the Muslim Brotherhood which originated in Egypt.

The group is beloved by Erdogan, himself a man truly loved by his country and his people, who relate to him as someone from “the neighborhood.” He relates to crowds as one of the people, with a speaking style in Turkish that has a slight edge; it retains that roughness seen among those who didn’t go to Harvard.

It is what has kept him in power for so long.

That same style has also enabled Erdogan to build ties with nearly every terror group in the region and has firmed the bond between Turkey and Iran. It may dim the competition between the two for establishing a new Empire over the fragments that once were powerful Arab nations in the region.

Woman in ISIS ‘Blow up France’ Video May Be Linked to Attack on Jews [video]

Thursday, February 5th, 2015

A woman holding a rifle in a new ISIS video may be Hayat Boumeddiene, who is wanted by French authorities for possible involvement in the murderous attack on a Paris kosher deli where four people were killed by her husband, Amedy Coulibaly.

The new video is called “Blow Up France 2″ and shows a woman with a camouflage uniform and holding a weapon.

“French authorities are investigating the possibility this woman could be Hayat Boumeddiene,” a source told CNN.

The new video encourages more terrorist attack in France as part of the “fight for Islam” against French soldiers and police officers.

 

Hayat Boumeddiene, whose husband killed four Jews in Paris, may the new star in an ISIS video.

Hayat Boumeddiene, whose husband killed four Jews in Paris, may the new star in an ISIS video.

‘Shechita UK’ Says Ban Supporters Cite ‘Weak, Agenda-Led Science’

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

“Shechita UK,” a British group fighting for the right to continue to employ the Jewish ritual slaughter technique known as shechita has lashed out at the first UK political party to support a ban against the practice.

Campaign director Shimon Cohen told Britain’s Jewish Chronicle newspaper, the right-wing UK Independence Party (UKIP) had gotten its facts wrong in choosing to support a ban on “non-stun slaughter.”

“Citing weak, agenda-led science, UKIP has become the first major political party in the UK to call for a ban on religious slaughter. This latest move is opportunistic and a disappointing shift from UKIP’s previous position, when both Mr. [Nigel] Farage and [UKIP MEP] Stuart Agnew publicly advocated their support for shechita.

“UKIP’s new assertion that ‘[mechanical] pre-stunning before religious ritual slaughter is fully compatible with all world religions’ is plain nonsense. The Jewish community does not permit any of the industrialized mechanical stunning methods used in factory slaughter.

“By joining the campaign to prioritize ‘animal welfare’ over the rights and beliefs of the UK’s faith communities UKIP has returned to the fringes of mainstream politics,” Cohen said.

Agnew, for his part, claimed that he personally opposed the ban but was overruled from within the party. “There are more votes to be gained and I expect that’s what they were looking for,” he told the newspaper. “We’ll lose the Jewish vote for sure but we might gain votes elsewhere, and that’s what they’re after, general election votes,” he said.

“This isn’t aimed at you,” he added, “it’s aimed elsewhere; it’s aimed at others. You’ve been caught in the crossfire, collateral damage. You know what I mean.”

The fact is, the ban hurts both Jews and Muslims; however, this is just another bit of nastiness in a litany of issues that are slowly making life untenable in the UK for Jews — a revelation that some citizens probably would celebrate. Last summer anti-Semitic crimes rose in Britain by 400 percent, and the trend is continuing across Europe, where radical Islam has become firmly rooted.

Quiet on Temple Mount Helps Return Jordanian Ambassador to Israel

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015

Jordan has returned its ambassador to Israel three months after recalling him to Amman because of Jewish activists on the Temple Mount, which promoted daily violence by Arabs.

International media tried to explain that a spree of grisly Arab terrorist attacks on Jews was a result of Muslim anger over Jews on the Temple Mount.

Mohammad al-Momani, the Jordanian government spokesman, told The New York Times that there has been a “significant improvement” in coordination with Israel for Muslims to pray at the Al Aqsa mosque on Fridays, the Muslim Sabbath, and with Muslim clerics for tourists and Jews to visit the holy site.

“We felt the message was heard loud and clear, and it is time for the ambassador to go back and to continue following Jordanian interests,” Momani told the newspaper.

The envoy, Walid Obeidat, arrived in Tel Aviv Monday night.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu stated, “This is an important step that reflects the shared interests of Israel and Jordan and first among them, stability, security and peace.”

Daily violence on the Temple Mount three months ago was only the climax of years of anti-Israeli incitement at mosques and in media in the Arab world, including the Palestinian Authority.

Constant reports that Jewish civilians and soldiers “stormed” the Temple Mount, plotting to destroy the Al Aqsa mosque and build the Third Temple were destined to cause a volcanic eruption.

It burst approximately three months ago with Muslims rioting on a daily basis and making it virtually impossible for Jews to visit the Temple Mount, which police often closed off to Jews.

Attempts by Jews to pray at the holy site, forbidden by Muslim authorities, and visits by Knesset Members infuriated Muslims.

U.S. Secretary of State, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Jordan’s King Abdullah met in Amman in an unannounced meeting, which paved the way for a return to calm on the Temple Mount.

All of a sudden, two Cabinet ministers announced that Knesset Members should not visit the Temple Mount.

At the same time, Arab media stopped telling readers that Jews are “invading” the Temple Mount and digging tunnels to undermine the Al Aqsa mosque

Nothing was put in writing in Jordan, but it can be assumed that Netanyahu promised that Jews will not pray there.

As previously reported here and here, the Jordanian-Israeli peace treaty specifically provides for mutual respect for worship at the holy site.

As with most treaties between Israel and the Arab world, they simply are the basis for future arguments.

‘Let’s Go Jew-Bashing’ Muslims Hauled into British Court

Monday, January 26th, 2015

A British court has heard testimony of a pre-mediated attack by four Muslim teenagers on a Jew in Gateshead and who was saved by a family friend who heard his screams.

The attackers were identified as Balawi Sultan, Kesa Malik, Hassanain Alimain and a 16-year-old, one of whom contradicted his gang member claims they simply were looking for a mosque. He admitted they were on the prowl to attack a Jew last July.

The gang wanted to protest about the conflict between Israel and Arabs and against a Jew in Gateshead, which hosts large Haredi population.

Sultan had sent a text message that “I’m going to go Jew-bashing. Haha,” the British Chronicle Live reported.

They randomly targeted a 41-year-old Jews who has been studying Torah at a yeshiva and was walking home to his family around midnight, when the gang spring from their van and jumped on him.

The victim, whose name was not published, fled in fear as the gang threw a piece of wood at him. He then tripped, giving the attackers the opportunity to surround him while the victim screamed. Help me. Help me.”

One of the gang threatened to kick his Jewish target in the head, and he drew back his foot just when a family friend of the victim intervened after hearing his screams.  The friend arrived while two members of the gang were kneeling on top of the victim while the other two watched.

“It was his intervention which caused the attack to come to an end,” the prosecutor told the court.

The victim told Newcastle Crown Court, according to Chronicle Live:

I feel shaken and unsafe to walk the streets in my own community. I have never experienced fear and terror like it and I have no doubt I was attacked for being Jewish

I was targeted because of my religion and I’m now scared to walk past members of the Asian community with whom otherwise I have no problem. When I come across a person from the Middle East I feel scared and petrified…..

I have been greatly affected by it and but for the intervention of my friend the consequences could have been far worse.

Now, coming home at night fills me with fear.

Prosecutors said that the gang targeted the man because he was wearing a black hat and suit, traditionally worn by Haredim.

The lawyer for one of the gang members, age 18, said he apologized for the attack and had brought shame on his family.

The attorney for the minor, who now is 17, said his client “understands this kind of behavior is utterly unacceptable” and added that “he was only 16 at the time.”

Sentencing will be handed down at a later date.

It remains to be seen if the judge will let them off the hook because one of them “apologized” and another said he really shouldn’t have done such a naughty thing as attacking a Jew, as if it has not become common practice in Europe today.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/lets-go-jew-bashing-muslims-hauled-into-british-court/2015/01/26/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: