web analytics
November 26, 2015 / 14 Kislev, 5776
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Moshe Yaalon’

Ya’alon Urges EU to Intensify Anti-Terror Measures

Sunday, November 15th, 2015

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon warned Sunday that Europe must intensify its anti-terror efforts if it is to combat threats like Da’esh (ISIS).

In an interview with Galei Tzahal Army Radio, Ya’alon urged the member states in the European Union to pass laws that would “enable a more effective battle against terrorism.”

The recommendation came in the wake of the multi-site mass casualty attack in Paris carried out Friday night against France by Da’esh, which cost the lives of at least 129 people. More than 350 others were wounded, including 99 who remain in critical condition. Among the wounded are U.S. and British citizens, officials said.

“The Europeans understand that there is a threat, but they have not taken the measures they could have; for example, changing the legislation to allow listening in on potential terrorists,” Ya’alon pointed out.

“The balance between security and human rights in Europe so far has been tipped in favor of human rights,” he added, “but now there is no longer a choice. From now on, more weight must be given to the considerations of security, in order to defend democracy,” he said.

Ya’alon recommended checks at the entrances to public places, and increased passport controls throughout Europe as basic security measures for officials to put into place. He also noted that it is important to “bridge the gap in Turkey” with regard to the corridor used by Da’esh (ISIS) terrorists as they pass in and out of Syria.

The route to Europe and elsewhere in the world from ISIS-held territories runs across the Syrian border directly into Turkey, and from there onward to the rest of the world.

“We are all in the same boat when it comes to fighting terrorism and defending Western civilization,” Ya’alon said.

Ya’alon Warns Israel’s Enemies Divided on Ideology But United in Hatred

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015

Israel’s Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon warned Tuesday that Israel’s enemies are split along ideological lines, but united in their hatred of the Jewish State.

The defense minister noted there appear are several axes among those aligned against Israel: on one side are forces united with the Muslim Brotherhood, which include Turkey and Qatar. On another, there are those united with the Global Jihad movement, which include Salafi Islamists such as Al Qaeda-linked groups such as the Army of Islam, and Da’esh (ISIS).

Both are united in their hatred of Jews and Israel, and the “unwillingness… to recognize our right to exist as the nation state of the Jewish people,” Ya’alon said – as is the Palestinian Authority.

[PLO Chairman Yasser] “Arafat and [Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud] Abbas also did not want to end the conflict on the 1967 borders,” he said.

In remarks broadcast last week on official Palestinian Authority television, Abbas said in Arabic to the United Nations Human Rights Commission in Geneva: “Mr. President, ladies and gentlemen, haven’t you wondered: For how long will this protracted Israeli occupation of our land last? After 67 years (i.e., the re-creation of the State of Israel), how long? Do you think it can last, and that it benefits the Palestinian people?”

The remarks were translated and reported by the media watchdog organization Palestinian Media Watch (PMW). Www.palwatch.org

Israel has “zero tolerance” for arms sales to terrorists, the defense minister said in remarks following alleged Israeli air strikes against Hezbollah near the Syrian-Lebanese border.

Speaking at a Kibbutz Leadership conference in Judea-based Kibbutz Ma’ale Hamisha, near Jerusalem, Ya’alon warned in a cryptic remark, “Those who cross red lines will be hit.” It is believed that Ya’alon was referring not only to standard ordnance but also to the transfer of chemical weapons by Syria to the Hezbollah terrorists who have fought to defend President Bashar al-Asssad.

Ya’alon commented that the Hamas terror organization has only withheld hostilities out of dire necessity: “not because they have turned Zionist, but due to the price they paid [last year] in Operation Protective Edge.”

Despite Cabinet Decision, Israel Releases 5 Terrorist Bodies, Arabs Celebrate

Saturday, October 31st, 2015

On October 14, the Israeli cabinet voted to no longer release any dead terrorist bodies.

Despite that decision, Palestinian Authority Arabs held funerals for 2 terrorists over the next week, which a Defence Ministry official explained to JewishPress.com was due to a mix-up in the field.

Today, the bodies of 5 more terrorists were released, and the Palestinian Authority Arabs held large celebratory funerals in Hebron for them, with thousands of participants.

Explaining the government’s actions, Defense Minister Yaalon told Israel Channel 2 that the government returned the bodies on the condition that the PA not hold any large funerals.

Ya’alon was apparently surprised the PA would break their agreement.

The leftwing Zionist Camp party made fun of Netanyahu as a result of this latest zigzag, saying, “Once again a huge gap has been revealed between the declarations of the Netanyahu government’s and its actions on the ground. The war on terror must have a clear and consistent policy. This zigzag of returning the bodies sends a message of weakness”

MK Avigdor Liberman, chairman of the Yisrael Beyteinu party, called the return of the bodies a ransom payment. Liberman described it an embarrassing concession, and said it will lead to an increase in terrorism.

Arab sources claim that up to 9 bodies were returned.

Dead Terrorists Sneaked Out As Israel Votes to Withhold Bodies of Attackers

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015

Two dead Arab stabbers have been sneaked out to their families despite a vote by Israeli ministers to withhold the bodies of those who carry out terror attacks in the country.

The funeral of 24-year-old Uday Hashim al-Ma’asalama was held at midday on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after he stabbed an IDF soldier in Hebron and was himself shot and killed.

A Palestinian Red Crescent Society ambulance arrived at the scene Tuesday immediately after the attack. Swiftly the Arab medics bundled Ma’asalama’s body into the vehicle and raced away towards the local hospital in Hebron. It is not clear whether the terrorist was alive at this point, or not.

IDF Spokesperson Lt.-Col. Peter Lerner told JewishPress.com in a telephone interview Wednesday evening that Israeli medics were focused on saving Jewish lives first.

“Red Crescent medical personnel arrived at the scene and quickly evacuated [Ma’asalama] to the local hospital in Hebron. No one knew that he was dead, if he was at that point,” Lerner said. “Our first priority is our wounded, and security,” Lerner said.

Nor was there any real concern there would be any problem in arresting and extracting Ma’asalama from the hospital to take him into custody once he was treated, assuming he was still alive. “We have gone into the medical center in Nablus before to apprehend a terrorist when that was necessary,” Lerner noted.

But once in the Hebron hospital, it took very little time for Masalama’s deceased body to disappear, and by Wednesday midday he was buried less than 24 hours after the attack with all due military honors, according to the Hebrew-language website rotter.net, which published a photograph of the funeral and numerous Arab media as well.

Thousands of Palestinian Arabs from the Hebron area towns of Dura, Beit Awwa and nearby villages took part in the funeral, shouting anti-Israel slogans and calling for “Palestinian unity,” according to the Bethlehem-based Ma’an news site. The killer’s body was carried on a litter by guerrilla fighters in combat fatigues marching after Arabs bearing large Palestinian Authority flags.

The new bill to withhold terrorists’ bodies, proposed by Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan, was intended to prevent just such funeral “celebrations,” which result in terror organizations heaping honors upon the departed and heavy recruitment of new members.

The return of the body of the first terrorist whose funeral was held earlier in the week was also the result of a similar mix-up, according to the spokesperson for Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon.

PM Netanyahu’s Statement on the Ongoing Arab Terrorism

Friday, October 9th, 2015

PM Netanyahu’s Press Conference Statement
(Communicated by the Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, this evening (Thursday, 8 October 2015), issued the following statement at a press conference with Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon, Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan, IDF Chief-of-Staff Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eisenkot and Israel Police Acting Commissioner Bentzi Sau:

“This has been another difficult day for all of us, citizens of Israel. We are in the midst of a wave of terrorism. Terrorists that have been incited and who are riven with hate are trying to attack our people – babies, children, men and women, civilians and soldiers. Our hearts – the hearts of the entire nation – are with the families of the victims whose lives were cut short by reprehensible murderers. In recent days and hours I have seen displays of heroism by soldiers, police and – no less – by civilians. I see this in Jerusalem, Kiryat Gat, Hebron, Petah Tikva, Tel Aviv and now in Afula. Israelis are acting with bravery, composure and determination to neutralize and eliminate the terrorists. This requires extraordinary courage and resourcefulness and we are proud to be part of a country that has such citizens.

This vicious terrorism did not start today. It has accompanied the Zionist enterprise since its beginning. We have always known how to defeat the rioters and build up our country and so it will be now. The terrorists and the extremists behind them will achieve nothing. We will rebuff them and we will defeat them.

We are in the midst of a wave of terrorism with knives, firebombs, rocks and even live fire. While these acts are mostly unorganized, they are all the result of wild and mendacious incitement by Hamas, the Palestinian Authority, several countries in the region and – no less and frequently much more – the Islamic Movement in Israel, which is igniting the ground with lies regarding our policy on the Temple Mount and the purported changes that we want to make to the status quo. This is an absolute lie. We are also taking action against the inciters and the attackers.

The IDF, Israel Police and the ISA are working on all fronts – stakeouts, undercover, arrests, presence on the roads, guarding communities, operational entries into Palestinian towns, in-depth entries into neighborhoods in eastern Jerusalem and the demolition of terrorists’ homes.

We have also sharpened open-fire against those who throw rocks and firebombs and we will impose minimum sentences on them and fines against minors. We have detained for investigation those who cooperated with the murderers in the Old City of Jerusalem. I demanded that the legal establishment close the shops of the merchants who either took part in this heinous act or stood aside.

Yesterday, I ordered that politicians – Jewish and Arab alike – be prevented from going up to the Temple Mount at this time. We do not need more matches to set the ground afire. We will take aggressive measures against the Islamic Movement in Israel and against other inciters. Nobody will be immune.

I would like to tell you, citizens of Israel, that we live in the Middle East and that the flames of radical Islam, which are burning the entire region, are also reaching us. But Israel is a very strong country and Israelis are a strong people. The measures that I have detailed, as well as others which I will not detail, are not an immediate, magical solution. But with persistence, thoroughness and determination, we will prove that terrorism does not pay – and we will defeat it.

I was asked today what I would say to a mother who fears to send her children outside. I would like to tell her – I would like to tell you, mother – your concerns are natural. They need not be overlooked nor should they be swept under the rug. We have a difficult situation now and we must show maximum alertness. Of course, we must also listen to instructions from the security forces and the authorities. But I would like to tell you something else: The security team that is sitting here – Prime Minister, Defense Minister, Public Security Minister, IDF Chief-of-Staff and the Israel Police Commissioner, and all other security elements – are doing our utmost to restore your security and that of your children, to all Israel.”

IDF to Install Security Cameras at Judea, Samaria Intersections

Tuesday, October 6th, 2015

Israel says it will install security cameras at all intersections throughout Judea and Samaria — “on the ground and in the air” — as part of its upgraded counter-terror measures.

“We decided today to enact a major plan to employ cameras at all junctions in the West Bank, both on the ground and in the air, with connections to operations room,” Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu. This is an important element of restoring security and foiling terror attacks.

The prime minister made the remarks after he visited the site where Rabbi Eitam Henkin and his wife Na’ama were murdered in a drive-by terror attack last Thursday. Henkin, a U.S. citizen, was also a veteran of the IDF’s elite Sayeret Matkal unit and the son of two well-known Yeshiva University alumni. His mother is the director of a women’s program at the institution.

“There is no question here regarding our support for the military, and everyone knows the truth, in contrast to those who claim otherwise,” Netanyahu said in a reference to lawmakers who have criticized his handling of the recent violence. “There is a certain level of responsibility required from the settlers, and they should be accurate in their claims.”

Netanyahu also said he had plans for vendors in the Old City souk (market) in Jerusalem who laughed at and mocked Adele Lavi as she cried for their help after she was stabbed Saturday night, and ultimately turned their backs on her. “I asked that their stores be shuttered and that they be brought to justice,” the prime minister said. The vendors sneered at Mrs. Lavi, as she begged for help with a knife wound in her shoulder as her husband, baby and a second rabbi were being stabbed and shot.

“The greatest center of incitement in recent years is the [northern] Islamic Movement, and we will take care of them, too,” Netanyahu continued.

“We will break this wave of terror like we broke previous waves of terror. We are in ongoing contact with all our neighbors and are trying to make the facts clear despite the wave of falsehoods that have been disseminated.

“We have no intention of changing the status quo at the Temple Mount, and we have no intention of destroying mosques or building a Third Temple there.

“We have ongoing contact with the Egyptians, the Jordanians and many others,” he added.

“I am not willing to tolerate Israeli citizens joining in the incitement. I cannot tolerate spitting on police or waving PLO and Hamas flags at stadiums – not by Jews and not by Muslims, and I have directed the attorney general to act against the agitators among us.”

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon added advice that “local council heads need to stop hyperventilating. There’s a difference between the situation during Operation Defensive Shield (which took place during the 2002 second intifada) and that of today. Since then, the IDF has been on the offensive in [Judea and Samaria]; these statements just cause citizens to take the law into their own hands.

“This is an unacceptable phenomenon, which sabotages our struggle against Jewish terror and adds fuel to the fire.

“Ministers must remember that the government has collective responsibility,” Ya’alon said.

Yaalon Backpedals, Says Security Forces Did Not Know Duma Arsonist IDs

Thursday, September 10th, 2015

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon backpedaled Thursday afternoon, telling journalists to take a “wait and see” approach after asserting security personnel had the answers to the mystery of who had attacked a Palestinian Arab family in the Samaria village of Duma.

Three of the four Dawabshe family members who were burned in the blaze that destroyed their home are now dead; only four-year-old Ahmed has survived. The little boy remains in very serious condition in Tel Hashomer Medical Center’s Sheba Hospital, where he being treated for similar wounds that killed his 18-month-old baby brother Ali, his mother Riham and his father, Sa’ad.

The July firebombing that led to their deaths sparked rage from all quarters, Jewish and Arab alike. But due to the Hebrew-language graffiti found on a wall near the site, it is believed the perpetrators were Jewish, even though some oddness in the content and the calligraphic style have created doubts as well.

A senior IDF official said at another pre-holiday gathering earlier this week that Israeli security officials are convinced the arsonists were indeed Jewish and had essentially abandoned any other line of inquiry at this point.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon confirmed that statement, saying, “We are unfortunately convinced that the attack in Duma was carried out by Jews.” He added during the Thursday morning pre-holiday Likud gathering that security officials are convinced the perpetrators come from “one of the most extremist groups whose goal was to set fire to the area and harm many lives… much more than the ‘price tag’ attacks we have seen.”

He was also quoted as saying security officials knew the identity of the attackers but refrained from charging them due to fears of exposing their intelligence sources.

However, by late in the day, Ya’alon had backpedaled, saying the “exact identities” were not known, and that security personnel only had “general ideas” of who had perpetrated the attacks.

“That’s why we have carried out administrative detentions and signed restraining orders,” he said. “To prevent any more incidents.”

A gag order was slapped on on the investigation from the outset, and it remains in force.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/yaalon-backpedals-says-security-forces-did-not-know-duma-arsonist-ids/2015/09/10/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: