web analytics
May 29, 2016 / 21 Iyar, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Moshe Yaalon’

Likud Supreme Court Orders Review of Ya’alon’s Failure

Sunday, May 8th, 2016

The Likud supreme court on Sunday ordered the Likud Central Committee, Political Bureau, Directorate, Secretariat and Knesset faction to conduct reviews of the failures of Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon (Likud) regarding the eviction of Jewish residents from Beit Rachel and Leah in Hebron, Srugim reported . The Jewish residents moved into the building, which had been lawfully purchased from its Arab owner, on Thursday, January 21, and were forcibly removed by Police and Border Guard officers on Friday, January 22.

The discussions in each Likud institution will include a vote on a call to Prime Minister Netanyahu to remove Ya’alon from his post as Defense Minister, as well as a call on Likud elected officials to act at once to annul the eviction action against the Jewish residents of Beit Rachel and Leah.

The Likud supreme court ruled on a petition by six members of Likud Eretz Israel Loyalists against Ya’alon, in which they demanded the suspension of Ya’alon’s Likud membership over his order to evict the Jewish residents in Hebron. The petition, submitted by attorney Aviad Visoly, is based on an item in the Likud constitution according to which a member who aids a competing party would be subject to a two-year suspension from the Likud party. The petitioners argued that the Ya’alon order to evict the Jews from their homes aided the leftwing parties which are eager to eliminate the Jewish presence in Hebron.

The party court’s ruling stated that “there is justification for a piercing debate with Minister Ya’alon over his decision to evict the Jews from their homes in Hebron, a decision that may be criticized and action may be taken to change it, or, in the least, prevent a repetition of this behavior in the future.” But the court ruled that the debate does not belong in the court but in the various party institutions.

The court has ordered the heads of each of the party institutions to set a date for the debates in no later than seven days.

David Israel

Netanyahu Condemns ‘Outrageous’ Deputy Chief of Staff’s Speech [video]

Sunday, May 8th, 2016

In a break with the longstanding tradition according to which political leaders avoid criticizing the military in public, Prime Minister Netanyahu opened the Sunday morning cabinet meeting with a resounding rebuke of IDF Deputy Chief of Staff Maj. Gen. Yair Golan’s speech on Holocaust Remembrance Day. The speech, in which Galon said he sees in today’s Israel and among his subordinates in the IDF evidence of events that took place in Europe before the Holocaust, “was an injustice against the State of Israel and a cheapening of the memory of the Holocaust,” Netanyahu said, adding that “the comparison which rises from the Deputy Chief of Staff’s words is outrageous, and factually wrong. They should not have been said.”

“If there’s one thing which frightens me regarding the memory of the Holocaust, it’s identifying the blood curdling processes that took place in Germany and in the rest of Europe “70, 80, and 90 years ago, and discovering evidence of their taking place here, among us, in 2016,” Golan told an audience that included Education Minister Naftali Bennett (Habayit Hayehudi) who almost had a stroke. And when the Deputy Chief of the Jewish army added that his gripe is over the “purity of our weapons” (a uniquely Israeli term, dating back to the pre-state years, meaning when Jews use their weapons they must do so ethically) it was obvious he wasn’t referring to soccer hooliganism — he accused the IDF of harboring Nazi-like individuals.

The open rebuke was a deadly jibe at Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, who defended and supported Golan’s speech and the sentiments he noted, and who spent a long hour Wednesday night debating with the PM who demanded an all out apology from Golan. Instead of a direct apology at the time, the best Ya’alon could come up with was a press release from the IDF Spokesperson’s office, which denied the allegation that the Deputy Chief had compared “unsettling phenomena” inside the IDF with events in Nazi Germany that preceded the Holocaust. But as JNi pointed out at the time, Golan absolutely made the comparison, as could be read plainly in the transcript of the speech.

The fact that a commander who compares the IDF to the Nazis may be considered to replace the current chief of staff, is yet another brick in a strangely anti-Jewish and even anti-Zionist wall being erected by the IDF leadership in recent years. The new Chief of Staff, Maj. Gen. Gadi Eizenkot, has removed Jewish education from the hands of the IDF rabbinate and handed it to HR, which in turn made it the purview of the left-leaning Education Corps; the same HR has also initiated a directive against letting Jewish soldiers grow beards, and belittled in a public speech the rabbinic principle of “He who rises to kill you, kill him first,” calling it merely a metaphor and not a moral principle. Ya’alon for his part keeps Jews in prison for many months without charges, and uses brute force to evict Jewish dwellers from their homes — while permitting widespread illegal Arab dwellings. All of the above, besides being nasty jabs against religious Zionism, are also associating Netanyahu and his government with the Israeli left’s agenda, which is tantamount to political suicide for the Likud and its leader.

“The Duputy Chief is an officer of great merit,” the PM concluded, “But what he said in this matter was completely erroneous and unacceptable to me.”

Whether or not the meritorious Golan decide to draw his own conclusions and jump under the bus, or be pushed there at a later date, Netanyahu has don what he could to disassociate himself from the high ranking officer’s infuriating message. And whether or not Ya’alon would see Sunday’s unusual attack by the PM as a message regarding his own political future in the Likud should be the subject of speculation in the weeks to come.

JNi.Media

‘Thousands’ at Funeral for Car-Ramming Terrorist

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016

Thousands of Arabs attended the funeral of the car-ramming terrorist who deliberately ran over three IDF soldiers on Tuesday at the HaParsa Junction near the Jewish community of Dolev, according to Arab media.

The terrorist who struck the three soldiers, 36-year-old Riyad Shehada, was shot and killed by other soldiers nearby.  Shehada, a resident of Qalandiya, was living temporarily in Beitunia, according to local sources.

The packed funeral procession began at the Ramallah governmental hospital and made its way to the Shehada family home in Beitunia, according to the Bethlehem-based Ma’an news agency. “Following final farewells, his body was taken to a mosque in Qalandiya… for funeral prayers,” Ma’an reported.

The three soldiers who were hit by the terrorist were targeted as they were conducting an unannounced security check on vehicles at the entrance to the Arab city of Beitunia, a suburb of Ramallah.

Weeks ago, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed that bodies of Arabs who were killed during terror attacks against Israelis would not be released to their families or to the Palestinian Authority.

He explained at the time that the large funerals that followed such returns had become major incitement and recruitment ceremonies to encourage further terror attacks.

Shortly after, however, Israeli media learned the body of a terrorist had been returned to a family in the Palestinian Authority. After numerous calls to various ministries, the IDF and police, JewishPress.com was told “it was a mistake.” Other media were told the same.

Earlier this week, the prime minister’s office released a statement that the return of the terrorist’s body was carried out per the exclusive decision of Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon. The PMO said in the statement the discretionary power over this issue had been restored to the defense minister on Sunday.

One of the Kefir Brigade soldiers hit by the terrorist is hospitalized in the intensive care unit at Tel Hashomer Medical Center’s Sheba Hospital. He is in very serious condition, currently on life-support.

The two others are hospitalized in fair condition at Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center in Jerusalem.

 

Hana Levi Julian

Terrorist’s Body Quickly Returned to Family

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016

The body of the Arab terrorist who was killed following his attack on Tuesday evening that injured three IDF soldiers has already been returned to his family, despite former order by Prime Minister Netanyahu to no longer return the bodies of the terrorists.

According to a Rotter.net report and Channel 2, Netanyahu’s office released a statement that the return of the terrorist’s body was done per the exclusive decision of Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon who once again has discretionary power in this matter, after the Prime Minister restored Ya’alon’s discretionary authority on Sunday.

Apparently the Ministry of Defense is no longer even bothering to say that the body was returned “by mistake” and this has become policy.

The return of terrorist bodies is of major importance to the terrorist family households, but Defense Minister Yaalon refuses to take advantage of this leverage, and Netanyahu either can’t or won’t control his ministers.

Hamas is currently holding the bodies of two IDF soldiers and not returning them. They also hint to having two more Israelis in captivity.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Gunfire From Gaza Hits IDF Vehicle After Netanyahu’s Visit to Border

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016

By Joshua B. Dermer/TPS

Nahal Oz (TPS) – An Israeli army vehicle was hit by gunfire from the Gaza Strip on Tuesday just hours after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited troops stationed on Gaza border and inspected a recently uncovered Hamas “terror tunnel” reaching into Israeli territory.

A military vehicle was struck near Nahal Oz, an Israeli community just beyond the security fence bordering the northern Gaza Strip, the IDF announced. The vehicle suffered damage but no one was injured in the incident.

Earlier in the day, Netanyahu toured the southern area of the Gazan border accompanied by Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon and IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Col. Gadi Eizenkot and inspected the Hamas tunnel uncovered by IDF forces several weeks ago. Netanyahu and Ya’alon were briefed by Gen. Eyal Zamir, Director of the Southern Command, on the most up-to-date Gaza survey findings.

“Tomorrow is Holocaust Remembrance Day. Seventy years ago we were like a leaf in the wind, with no defense force and helpless. We were slaughtered,” Netanyahu told soldiers of the 51st battalion stationed at the border. “Today we have a country and we have an army. We have the ability to defend ourselves on all fronts, both near and remote. What drives me is to secure the future of Israel and its people.”

“We are in the eye of the storm,” Netanyahu continued. “You see what’s happening. Millions are fleeing for their lives to Europe, and we have ISIS in the Golan on the other side [of the border], and ISIS here on the other side,” he said, referring to extremist forces in the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Desert.

“We are basically in the eye of the storm, and relative to the area we are the most stable, tranquil, and safest country.”

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Israel to Open Second Gaza Crossing to Transfer Goods

Monday, May 2nd, 2016

By Michael Bachner/TPS

Erez Crossing (TPS) – Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon decided on Monday to open a second border crossing for the transfer of goods into the Gaza Strip. The opening of the Erez Crossing for supplies entering Gaza will alleviate pressure on the existing passageway for the thousand trucks per day that are currently forced to drive along narrow roads and disrupt the lives of residents of nearby communities.

The Erez Crossing is located at the northern Gaza border and is used primarily to allow people enter and exit the strip. The only border crossing used thus far to transfer the large amount of supplies into Gaza was the Kerem Shalom Crossing, located at the southernmost end of Israel’s border with Gaza, near the Egyptian border.

MK Haim Yellin (Yesh Atid), who previously served as head of the Eshkol Regional Council which borders Gaza, praised Ya’alon’s decision.

“Around 1,000 trucks make their way every day along the entire Gaza border to get to the Kerem Shalom Crossing,” said Yellin. “Opening the Erez Crossing for the transfer of goods to Gaza will reduce the pressure at the Kerem Shalom Crossing. It will also significantly reduce the number of trucks driving on the narrow and dangerous road, which is currently a ticking bomb.”

The current head of the Eshkol Regional Council, Gadi Yarkoni, has waged a public battle for the opening of a second border crossing together with Shai Hajaj, head of the nearby Merhavim Local Council.

“We have been leading a determined struggle over the past months to open a second crossing for goods in the north, in order to decrease the incredible amount of trucks riding on roads in the area and endangering the residents’ safety,” said the two in a joint statement.

“The defense minister updated us on the opening of the Erez Crossing for goods, to divert some of the trucks,” they added. “This decision indicates his firm support of the local communities in the region.”

Meanwhile, reports have emerged in Israeli media that Israel will renew its supply of cement to Gaza for use in private civilian projects.

According to the report in the Israeli site Ynet, the cement is meant to reconstruct thousands of civilian structures damaged or destroyed during Operation Protective Edge in the summer of 2014 and to be used in aid and welfare projects in the coastal strip.

Israel stopped supplying cement to the Gaza private sector last month, due to attempts by Hamas to use the cement for military purposes, such as its elaborate “terror tunnel” project. Several weeks ago Israel uncovered a mile-long tunnel leading into Israel from Gaza, ostensibly designed by Hamas to kill or abduct Israelis.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Bennett Attacks Ya’alon, Netanyahu, on Failure to Deter Hamas Terror Tunnels

Monday, April 18th, 2016

Education Minister and Habayit Hayehudi Chairman Naftali Bennett responded on Monday to the IDF announcement of discovering yet another Hamas terror tunnel (Cleared for Release: New Terror Tunnel Into Israel Discovered) with an all out attack on the Israeli security apparatus.

“Our worst fears have come true,” Bennett said in an email statement. “Over the two years that passed since Operation Protective Edge (2014), Hamas has not been deterred from re-intensifying its efforts, as we have warned consistently.”

Bennett described Hamas as having defined “a national project to re-dig the terror tunnels reaching deep into Israeli territory. It’s been a high national goal for them, and it’s about time we internalized the idea. The aim of Hamas is to surprise us with a multi-front event of penetration, killing and kidnapping, a kind of Yom Kippur war of terror.”

Bennett insisted that the obligation of the Netanyahu government remains to provide security to the residents of the south, and to prevent such an all out attack with every means available — and not rely on the conceptual notion that Hamas is “so-called deterred.”

Finally, Bennett urged an immediate retaliatory action to follow the tunnel discovery, since said tunnel is, by definition, a Hamas violation of Israeli sovereignty.

Back in 2014, during and after the war, Bennett received much criticism for his claim that it had been he who, by his sheer perseverance, managed to sway the IDF command and the defense minister towards making the effort to discover and demolish the terror tunnels. But in November, 2014, a Channel 2 investigative report confirmed every one of the embattled rightwing leader’s assertions.

The Uvda program determined that it had indeed been Bennett who repeatedly raised the subject of the tunnels at cabinet sessions throughout the summer of 2014, while Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon objected to launching an operation against the tunnels.

“If there is anything that a person who is familiar with the protocols of the cabinet sessions can see,” journalist Ilana Dayan reported, “it is that Minister Naftali Bennett demands, again and again, to launch an operation against the tunnels, and he hears an answer that more or less repeats itself, from Defense Minister Ya’alon: the tunnel threat is one we can live with, it need not be defined as a target, at least not in this round of fighting.”

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyhau eventually let the nation know that Hamas was planning a massacre on Rosh Hashana 2014, and that those plans had been averted by the IDF ground operation that destroyed the terror tunnels. But in the summer, Netanyahu had been backing his defense minister against the annoying Bennett’s proclamations.

Nothing has changed in that respect, and the IDF and defense minister, with the PM’s backing, will likely evade the need to punish Hamas now for their newest terror tunnel.

David Israel

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/bennett-attacks-yaalon-netanyahu-on-failure-to-deter-hamas-terror-tunnels/2016/04/18/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: