web analytics
September 22, 2014 / 27 Elul, 5774
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘New York’

New Jewish Ambulance in Brooklyn ‘For Women Only’

Thursday, June 19th, 2014

Sometimes, a woman just feels more comfortable if she is surrounded by women at certain vulnerable times. Even if her husband is with her.

Now for the first time ever, a new emergency medical service for women only, by women only, has begun ambulance service in the Boro Park neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.

The neighborhood is home to a high concentration of Chassidic Jewish families, where most women do not feel comfortable being treated by men in the ambulances, even Jewish ones.

And up to now, the Jewish Hatzoloh emergency medical service has refused to allow women to serve on its crews, even under really awkward circumstances when pregnant women are in labor or actually about to give birth. Many women have complained about that situation for years. Qualified Jewish religious female emergency medical technicians (EMTs) have offered to work on Hatzoloh ambulances as well, but all have been turned away.

Finally, someone has done something about it.

“It was a real challenge to establish this organization, said founder Rachel Freier. “But all the volunteers underwent extensive training and we are on our way. The women are being treated by women, so they feel more comfortable.”

So far, the organization is operating with 40 volunteers who are fully trained. Due to lack of financial resources, however, the group does not yet have its own ambulance, so they have reached an agreement with a private ambulance company.

Jewish Carpenter Sues NYC Over Alleged Anti-Semitism

Monday, May 12th, 2014

A Jewish carpenter is suing New York City’s Housing Authority (NYCHA) after allegedly being threatened and insulted with anti-Semitic epithets while working for the city.

Manhattan resident Mitchell Imberman, age 60, had trouble for years with men working under him, according to papers filed in a federal lawsuit in the Brooklyn District Court. The problems began in 2009 at Bushwick Houses, the New York Post reported Sunday.

Imberman alleged that one employee said, for example, “I don’t like taking orders from a Jew supervisor.” A second worker was fired after months of leaving numerous threats on Imberman’s cell phone, court papers allege.

His superiors added to the abuse when he asked for their help, Imberman charged.

In the lawsuit he said he was called a “filthy Jew,” a “dumb kike” and other obscenities. His tools were stolen, swastikas were painted on walls where he was assigned to work, and feces were placed on his chair.

Imberman is still employed by the Housing Authority and is seeking unspecified damages in compensation for the abuse. The NYCHA refused to comment in response to requests by the New York  Post and The Associated Press.

Former Head of 92nd Street Y Commits Suicide

Monday, May 12th, 2014

The former executive director of the famed 92nd Street Y died last Friday after hanging himself in his home in Seagate, an oceanfront community in Brooklyn, New York.

Sol Adler, 60, was found shortly before 11 a.m. by his wife Debbie, police told reporters on Saturday.

In 2012, Adler had been fired from his position after an anonymous letter sent to the board of directors accused him of a long-term relationship with his personal assistant.

At the time of his dismissal, after 20 years of leading the Y, Adler’s salary was $430,000 per year. His son-in-law, an ex-convict and a director of facilities at the Y, was also fired under suspicion of taking kickbacks from vendors. A number of other employees also were purged as well “for engaging in and failing to report suspected in appropriate behavior,” according to a letter to staff written by the board at the time.

The 92nd Street Y doubled its programs and brought in more than $80 million during Adler’s tenure as executive director. Police said there was no question of homicide in his death.

Ex-Met Council Chief Rapfogel to Plead Guilty in Financial Scam

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2014

William Rapfogel, the ousted leader of the Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty in New York, reportedly will plead guilty for his role in a scheme to steal more than $7 million from the social service agency.

Rapfogel, who had served as CEO and president of the Met Council from 1992, was scheduled to enter a guilty plea in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Wednesday morning.

David Cohen, Rapfogel’s predecessor at the council, is also scheduled to plead guilty for his role in the scheme, according to The New York Times, citing people familiar with the case.

Rapfogel has agreed to pay substantial restitution, the newspaper reported, citing unnamed sources. The plea agreement is confidential.

Rapfogel was fired in August 2013 after financial irregularities were discovered in an investigation initiated by the Met Council’s board of directors. New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and the state comptroller’s office then opened a probe.

He was arrested in September and charged with grand larceny and money laundering.

Rapfogel had served as CEO and president of the Met Council from 1992.

“I deeply regret the mistakes I have made that led to my departure from the organization,” he said following his ouster by the social service agency.

Rapfogel allegedly inflated the Met Council’s health insurance payments by several hundred thousand dollars a year and then split the proceeds with politicians who supplied grants to the agency.

Rapfogel hosted an annual breakfast that draws many influential political figures.

The Met Council provides employment services, crisis intervention, emergency food and other programs for poor Jewish households.

NY Officials Shut Down Oldest Surviving Synagogue Building

Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014

The oldest surviving synagogue building in the United States was evacuated Tuesday night after New York firefighters discovered cracks in columns supporting the second floor.

The structure was built in 1849 and was the home of Congregation Anshe Chesed before being bought in 1986 by the Spanish sculptor, Angel Orensanz.

The center is an art gallery and is used for weddings and fundraising events, such as last night’s celebrity gala for the theater company Soho Rep.

Firefighters arrived in the middle of the vent to investigate a smoke alarm and the discovered that the floor was shaking and the beams were cracked.

Engineers and architects are on the spot and working to make the necessary repairs that will allow the Environmental Control Board to cancel the vacate order.

NY Hasidic Village Agrees To Stop Gender Segregation In Public Park

Tuesday, April 1st, 2014

Kiryas Joel in upstate New York agreed to halt gender segregation at a public park in the Hasidic village.

The decision announced Monday by Kiryas Joel, which is populated by Satmar Hasidim, settles a lawsuit filed in December by civil liberties groups, according to the Courthouse News Service.

The Kinder Park was opened in April 2012, a 283-acre facility that includes blue-painted playground equipment and pink-painted playground equipment located in separate areas. The park’s rules, including gender separation, were listed in Hebrew on signs.

The park was built using “special financing” obtained by the village’s mayor, the Gothamist reported.

Under the agreement, civil liberties monitors will visit the park twice a year for the next three years to ensure there is no gender segregation there.

“Public parks cannot segregate on the basis of sex any more than they can for race or national origin,” New York Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Donna Lieberman said in a statement. “This agreement ensures that all park visitors have equal access to the entire park.”

Another NY Man Pleads Guilty of Violence against Divorce-Refusers

Wednesday, March 26th, 2014

Another New York City man has pleaded guilty to being part of a group of men who used violent means in exchange for pay to force Jewish husbands to give their wives religious divorces.

Simcha Bulmash, 30, of Brooklyn pleaded guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Trenton, N.J., to participating in the extortion ring, according to the U.S. Justice Department.

He faces up to 20 years in prison and fines of $250,000 when he is sentenced in July. He remains out of jail on bail, which includes a $500,000 bond and GPS monitoring.

At least three other members of the ring have pleaded guilty in recent weeks and face the same punishments.

Several men, including two Orthodox rabbis, were arrested last October as part of an undercover FBI sting operation. The ring charged some $60,000 for its services.

The men allegedly kidnapped and beat up recalcitrant husbands until they agreed to the religious divorce.

Orthodox Jewish women cannot remarry without a get, or writ of divorce, granted by a rabbinical court, which requires the husband’s consent. Some husbands and wives withhold a get in order to gain more favorable terms for alimony or custody of children.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/another-ny-man-pleads-guilty-of-violence-against-divorce-refusers/2014/03/26/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: