web analytics
October 25, 2014 / 1 Heshvan, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Prime Minister’

Israel Gears Up for Deadly Ebola Virus as 2nd Case Confirmed in U.S.

Monday, October 13th, 2014

Israel is gearing up to deal with the threat of the deadly Ebola virus as a second case is confirmed in the United States just days after the first diagnosed patient died in Dallas, Texas.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu held a special meeting this morning (Sunday, Oct. 12) to discuss the spread of the lethal virus.

More than four thousand victims have succumbed worldwide to the disease thus far. In the United States the first victim of the virus, Liberian citizen Thomas Eric Duncan, died last Wednesday despite being treated with the experimental anti-viral medication brincidofovir.

This morning a second case of the disease was confirmed at the same medical center. A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who cared for Duncan until he died, has now also tested positive for the same virus, according to confirmation of tests by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia.

Duncan’s remains have been cremated, though it is not clear when, where or by whom. Potentially contaminated material has been removed from the apartment where he stayed prior to his admission to hospital, and incinerated at a hazardous material processing center.

Meanwhile, a nurse in Spain has also been diagnosed with the disease. Her pet dog was euthanized last week as a precaution, and her husband is being held in isolation at a hospital as well.

Last week Israeli ministry officials met in the prime minister’s office to discuss ways to deal with the possibility that Ebola might spread to the Jewish State. “It is a real possibility,” one doctor at an Israeli HMO told Jewish Press.com on Sunday, on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak with media.

“Look at how the disease has traveled from Africa now to Europe. As diseases go, so too might this one,” she said. “It would not be unexpected for it to reach this region — and our country — as well. It’s just wiser to plan for it and always best when and if it never happens.”

The government decided to monitor travelers who arrive in Israel from the countries most heavily affected by the disease: Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. Israel’s health care system is also gearing up to provide services to anyone who may come down with the illness, or who may arrive here already infected or carrying the disease.

The prime minister summed up the meeting by saying, “The State of Israel is prepared in order to bar the possible entry of people with Ebola, as part of our effort to defend our borders against illegal migrants and terrorism. This is a global plague and we are cooperating with other countries in addition to guarding our borders; we are taking a series of steps to isolate those who are ill, if they arrive, and treat them, of course, in our healthcare system. We hope that this will not be necessary but we are prepared for any eventuality.”

Ben-Gurion International Airport Director Shmuel Zakai added, “We are beginning a very extensive deployment at all border crossings in order to locate and prevent the entry of travelers carrying the Ebola virus.”

Health Ministry Director General Prof. Arnon Afek also noted, “The healthcare system is monitoring the Ebola issue and is in contact with experts around the world. We are improving the preparedness of the healthcare system in order to be able to deal with any people stricken with Ebola should they arrive in Israel.”

In addition, three mobile clinics are being sent to hard-hit areas in response to a direct request by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the World Health Organization and a number of international aid organizations. Along with the three mobile clinics, Israel is sending a staff of medical experts who will train local medical personnel to use the equipment that is sent. They will also teach local staff to raise awareness in the local population and among others with a high potential for infection.

Sweden ‘Clarifies’ Stand on Palestinian Authority State

Sunday, October 5th, 2014

The Swedish Embassy in Israel has released an updated statement effectively “clarifying” an earlier announcement by newly-elected Prime Minister Stefan Lofven that raised a firestorm in Israel and even some disapproval by the U.S.

On Friday the Swedish prime minister announced to his cabinet that his country would be the first to officially recognize the “state of Palestine.” The news prompted words of caution from political leaders who warned the prime minister to reconsider his actions.

Even Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu cautioned Sweden on Sunday that it was damaging any chance for peace between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, rather than helping the process.

After consultations in Jerusalem, the statement by the Swedish Embassy in Israel late Sunday read as follows:

“The prime minister said that the conflict between Israel and Palestine can be solved through the two-state solution, by negotiations in accordance with the principles of international law.”

The solution, said the embassy, “must guarantee the legitimate demands of both Palestinians and Israelis, to self-determination and security. The two-state solution requires mutual recognition and the will to live together in peace. The prime minister concluded with the words that as a result, Sweden would recognize the Palestinian state.”

May Israel Blow Up Terror Tunnels During the Cease Fire?

Friday, August 1st, 2014

At 8:00am Friday, a humanitarian cease fire between Israel and Hamas went into effect.

IMRA’s Dr. Aaron Lerner has posed a question to both the Israeli Prime Minister’s office and the IDF.

“During the course of the humanitarian ceasefire can the IDF detonate explosives to demolish tunnels?”

The IDF referred him to the Prime Minister’s office. The Prime Minister’s office referred him to a statement by the IDF.

Prime Minister’s Office declines to answer regarding destruction of tunnels during ceasefire Dr. Aaron Lerner – IMRA 1 August 2014

At 08:50 Dr. Aaron Lerner of IMRA reached David Baker David Baker, the Senior Foreign Press Coordinator in the Office of the Prime Minister, on the telephone and asked: “during the course of the humanitarian ceasefire can the IDF detonate explosives to demolish tunnels.”

David Baker replied: Ask the IDF Spokesperson’s Office.

IMRA told Baker: The IDF Spokesperson’s Office says to ask the Prime Minister’s Office.

Baker replied: We have nothing to add to the reply of the IDF Spokesperson’s Office.

IDF Spokespersons Office: Questions relating to ceasefire to be answered by Prime Minister’s Office Dr. Aaron Lerner Date: 1 August 2014

IMRA contacted the IDF Spokesman’s Office News Desk at 08:03 this morning and asked: “during the course of the humanitarian ceasefire can the IDF detonate explosives to demolish tunnels.”

The IDF Spokesman’s Office News Desk replied that “all questions relating to the ceasefire are to be answered by the Prime Minister’s Office.”

IMRA has contacted the Prime Minister’s Office but has not yet received a reply.

In a conversation with IMRA when the ceasefire was announced Saskia Ramming, Spokesperson, Office of the United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, decline to take a position as to whether Israeli forces could detonate explosives in order to destroy tunnels during the ceasefire.

News reports on Israel Radio regarding the terms of the ceasefire say that “the IDF will continue to DEAL WITH the tunnels during the ceasefire” but it should be noted that the term “DEAL WITH” includes filling up tunnel shafts with dirt.

Israel Radio Arab Affairs Correspondent Gal Berger reported this morning on Israel Radio Reshet Bet after 08:00 that it is the position of Hamas that Israeli action destroying tunnels would be considered a violation of the ceasefire.

During the course of the previous humanitarian ceasefire the IDF Spokesperson told IMRA twice that tunnels could not be exploded during the ceasefire but the next day the answer became more complicated, with the reference to the use of explosive material during the ceasefire being an airborne strike against a tunnel entrance in defense of IDF ground forces under attack from terrorists firing from a tunnel opening.

Take note: when the count of destroyed tunnels was renewed after the end of the ceasefire – a figure not provided during the ceasefire – it turned out that there was the exact same number of “destroyed tunnels” after the ceasefire as before the ceasefire.

Obama Promises Peres A-G Will ‘Check Into’ Pollard

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

U.S. President Barack Obama assured Israel’s outgoing President Shimon Peres on Wednesday he would ask Attorney-General Eric Holder to “check into” an offer that Peres made regarding the case of former Israeli agent Jonathan Pollard.

Peres’s office submitted his request to the White House prior to arriving for what will be his last official state visit as Israel’s president.

“I made an offer but won’t go into details about it,” he told reporters on Wednesday. However, he did discuss the specifics with members of the Pollard family, he said, before presenting the plan to Obama.

“If I share too many details it will just ruin things,” he said at the briefing. “I cannot say that [the president] responded positively on the spot. I don’t want to add to what he said, which was that the U.S. Attorney-General would decide.”

Pollard is entering his 29th year of incarceration in a North Carolina prison after being convicted in 1985 on a single charge of passing classified information to an allied nation, Israel. The crime usually carries a maximum penalty of up to four years in jail. But although Pollard’s attorneys worked out a plea bargain with the prosecution, during the sentencing a note was passed to the judge. Suddenly Pollard was charged with and convicted of treason without recourse to a new trial. His attorney had no access to the evidence that had apparently led to the new charges, which was locked due to “national security” — and instead Pollard found himself sentenced to life in prison. All attempts at appeal have since failed.

Since Peres was serving as Israel’s prime minister at the time of Pollard’s arrest, and since it was he who submitted the documents to the U.S. with Pollard’s fingerprints that were used to incriminate him, it is Peres who is most likely to persuade Obama now to grant clemency for humanitarian reasons.

He and Obama also share a unique status as being the only two current heads of state in the world who are both Nobel Peace Prize winners.

Pollard’s health has deteriorated significantly over the past several years, and the request by Peres is reportedly to be based on the issues of Pollard’s extremely poor health, the impact on his wife, and the length of his time already served — in short, humanitarian reasons. At age 90, Peres this year retires from politics and made a promise to Pollard’s wife and the people of Israel prior to his departure that he would try to win her husband’s release during his visit to the U.S. He is scheduled to meet again with Obama Thursday.

Gov’t to Start Weekend Buses to Yeshiva, Girls’ Schools in Judea, Samaria

Tuesday, June 17th, 2014

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has ordered financing for public shuttles to and from yeshiva and girls’ high schools in Judea and Samaria on the weekends, it was announced Tuesday.

The prime minister told his staff to allocate NIS 4 million (approx. $1.15 million) for the shuttles, which will apparently will operate on Thursday nights, Fridays, Saturday nights and Sundays.

The decision was made in order to discourage hitchhiking, which has become a way of life in Judea and Samaria in order to deal with the infrequent and inadequate public bus service in the region. Although there are numerous political and financial reasons for the sketchy bus service, the bottom line results in Jewish residents of all ages hitchhiking on unsafe roads at all hours of the day and night.

Last Thursday evening, the price for that fact cost three families their teenage sons: a terrorist organization kidnapped two 16 year olds and a 19 year old, all of whom were students at the renowned Mekor Chaim Yeshiva in Kfar Etzion. The boys were in Gush Etzion, hitchhiking home for the Sabbath when they were abducted.

Israel Facing Its Third Intifada

Tuesday, June 17th, 2014

I believe the Palestinian Authority unity government has launched a third intifada.

Perhaps a quiet one, perhaps not. But it is undeniably clear there has been a sharp escalation in Arab attacks on Jews throughout the country since the start of 2014.

Since the beginning of 2014, more than 200 rockets were aimed at Israel from the Gaza region – twice the number fired in 2013.

And once Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas signed his merger with Hamas leaders Ismail Haniyeh and Khaled Mashaal –- silent partners with the Iranian proxy Islamic Jihad – the number of attacks jumped even higher.

For starters, here’s what the week looks like so far:

On Sunday night Arabs felt comfortable enough to open fire in a drive-by attack on an IDF checkpoint at the entrance to Jerusalem leading to Highway 60, the main road that runs through the Gush Etzion tunnel and through Judea to the south of Israel’s capital. Five bullet casings from a pistol were found. Miraculously, no one was injured.

On Monday evening, here’s what happened:

  • An Egged bus driver on Bus #51 was injured when his bus came under attack by Arab rock throwers on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. The hail of rocks smashed the glass on the bus, sending the broken shards flying into the driver’s face and body.
  • A missile launched from Gaza made it through Israeli defenses and exploded on the outskirts of Ashkelon. No injuries reported.
  • Arab terrorists attacked a car traveling on the main road near Azun; one of the rocks they hurled at the vehicle broke the back window and wounded a baby in the back seat. The mother, who drove, managed to reach help in the Jewish town of Karnei Shomron.
  • Arabs attacked the Beit Orot Yeshiva in Jerusalem, also Monday night, and succeeded in hitting the guardhouse of the yeshiva. They did not succeed in injuring anyone.
  • Two Arab terrorists attempted to infiltrate the Samaria Jewish town of Kochav Yaakov in the Binyamin region on Monday night as well. They were spotted by IDF soldiers trying to cut through the town’s security fence. The soldiers opened fire at the terrorists, injuring one of them. The injured terrorist was subsequently taken to a Ramallah hospital — but the second terrorist managed to escape. This is the second attempt by terrorists to infiltrate the town in less than 72 hours.

In the past 14 days, at least a dozen missiles were fired at Israel. Seven reached Israeli territory, including a number fired at Ashkelon. Two were intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile system – but the falling shrapnel caused damage to the property hit by the debris.

Last Wednesday, a European Union delegation visited Gaza to express support for the new Hamas-backed legislators joining the PA unity government. Barely 24 hours later, emboldened Hamas terrorists in Judea crossed into Israeli territory to kidnap two 16 year old yeshiva boys who learn at the renowned Mekor Chaim Yeshiva in Kfar Etzion, and their 19 year old fellow student. They were grabbed while standing on the road in Gush Etzion, heading home for the Sabbath. One of the boys had the presence of mind to dial police and managed to get the words out, “We’re being kidnapped by terrorists,” before his cell phone was cut off.

That was last Thursday night.

An IDF spokesperson announced the IDF will not tolerate any attempt to harm the citizens of Israel and will operate decisively against any act of terrorism. Strong words – but police took hours to respond to the yeshiva boys’ desperate phone call for help. Reportedly they were too busy interrogating other teens at a community where there was a report of a ‘price tag’ attack on Arabs in days past.

King Carlos of Spain Abdicates After 40 Years

Monday, June 2nd, 2014

In a surprise announcement, King Carlos of Spain has told his prime minister he is abdicating in favor of his son, Prince Felipe.

The announcement was made Monday by Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy. “His majesty, King Juan Carlos, has just communicated to me his will to give up the throne,” he said. “I’m convinced this is the best moment for change.”

The 76-year-old Spanish monarch, whose health is failing, has led his people for 40 years from the throne. Rajoy said he is stepping down for personal reasons.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/king-carlos-of-spain-abdicates-after-40-years/2014/06/02/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: