web analytics
July 29, 2016 / 23 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Quneitra’

18 Dead in Quneitra Bombing Near Syrian-Israeli Border

Thursday, March 3rd, 2016

At least 18 people were killed Wednesday in a powerful car bombing that local sources said was carried out by two suicide bombers in Quneitra province in southern Syria near Israel’s northern border.

According to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, among the dead was the commander of the moderate Syrian Revolutionaries Front, Abu Hamza al-Naimi.

The bomb exploded while a group of the commanders were meeting in the village of Asheh, not far from the sole Syrian crossing with Israel.

The targeted group was meeting at a base belonging to Jabhat Thuwar Souria, a faction in the U.S.-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA).

According to Suhaib al-Ruhail, a spokesperson for Al-Wiyat al-Furqan, the attack was “most likely” carried out by “Da’esh sleeper cells” (ISIS). The Al-Wiyat al-Furgan Islamist group operates in the Quneitra province, close to the Syrian-Israeli border.

Issam al-Rayyes, spokesperson for FSA’s Southern Front, said it was not clear who was behind the attack.

Hana Levi Julian

Arab Sources: IAF Attacked Sites in Syria

Thursday, May 14th, 2015

Arab sources report of Israeli Air Force strikes on sites north of Quneitra, on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights at around 1:30 AM.

One of the bases that was reportedly hit is being used by Hezbollah and Assad’s forces.

The Arab sources report that ambulance rushed to the area, and the targets were various artillery weapons and armor.

Arab sources have also previously given “credit” to the IAF for attacks on Assad’s forces, when the attacks are believed to have actually been done by the Syrian rebels.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Israeli Night Strike on Damascus is ‘Warning to Beirut’

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015

Three Israeli air strikes late Tuesday night on Syrian army bases in Quneitra, Damascus and surrounds were a warning to Beirut, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said early Wednesday.

The attacks came in response to a double rocket attack on the Israeli Golan Heights fired by Lebanese Hezbollah terrorists from Syrian territory on Tuesday afternoon. One of the rockets, which were later identified as M307s, landed in the Herman region. The other exploded in El Ram.

The IDF responded immediately with artillery fire directed at the source of the rocket launches and reported that it had destroyed both. IDF Spokesperson Peter Lerner informed media in a text message that the Syrian missile fire had indeed been “intentional” and “not spillover from the Syrian civil war” as has been claimed in past incidents.

“The air force strike tonight on territory controlled by [President Bashar] al-Assad in Syria against targets of his regime is a clear message that we will not allow any fire on the territory of Israel and breach of its sovereignty, and that we will respond with force and firmness,” Ya’alon said.

“As the Assad regime is responsible for the fire from its territory on Israel, we will know how to collect a heavy price from any regime or organization from whose territory our sovereignty is breached and fire of this or another type is conducted on Israel.

“We don’t intend to just move on and be tolerant towards terrorist activities and attempts to harm our citizens and soldiers,” Ya’alon continued. “We act with restraint and firmness, with responsibility and consideration to preserve the security of citizens of Israel against countries and terrorist sources whose goal is to disrupt our lives.”

Shortly after midnight, Israeli residents of the Golan Heights awakened to the sound of the Code Red incoming rocket alert siren again, just 12 hours after the first attack earlier in the day. No rocket landings were identified, however, and officials later concluded that perhaps the siren had activated in response to the nearby IAF air strikes instead.

US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters at a briefing that Washington had seen the news of Tuesday’s attack on Israel and did not want “an escalation of the situation.” “We support Israel’s legitimate right to self-defense and have been clear about our concerns over the regional instability caused by the crisis in Syria,” she told reporters.

“We call upon all parties to avoid any action that would jeopardize the long-held ceasefire between Israel and Syria and abide by the 1974 disengagement of forces agreement,” she added.

The escalation in the region follows the death of six Hezbollah terrorists – including three top commanders – and six Iranian Revolutionary Guards – including Brigadier General Mohammad Ali Allahdadi – in an air strike on a convoy traveling through Quneitra province in Syria a week ago Sunday. The attack has been attributed to Israel although there has been no confirmation by the IDF.

Following the attack, the Islamic Republic of Iran sent a message to the United States “through diplomatic channels,” warning that Israel should suffer the consequences of its “wrongful act of aggression.”

But despite avowals of taking revenge against the Jewish State, Iran’s proxy in the region, Hezbollah, has made it clear through various means that the terror group does not seek another full-scale war.

Since the 2006 Second Lebanon War, Hezbollah secretary-general Hassan Nasrallah has lived underground in permanent hiding, speaking to his followers solely through video hookups, out of fear he will be assassinated by Israel.

Hana Levi Julian

Iranian News: ‘Teheran Targeted Netanyahu’s Sons’ in Retaliation

Sunday, January 25th, 2015

Iran continues to be enraged by the deaths of at least half a dozen Hezbollah terrorists and an Iranian general from an Israeli attack last week in Syria. The attack took place near Quneitra, on the Syrian-controlled side of the Golan Heights.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards confirmed that a member of their force, General Mohammad Ali Allahdadi, was among those “martyred” by the Israeli operation.

In retaliation, as reported by Jerusalem Online citing an Iranian news source, a detailed plan has been uncovered that includes targeting for assassination the sons of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

In addition to Netanyahu’s sons, family members of former prime ministers Ariel Sharon and Ehud Olmert are also targeted for assassination.

Jerusalem Online claims that the Mashark news site is “known for being in close relations with the [Iranian] Revolutionary Guards.”

Not only were the names of the current and former prime ministers’ sons disclosed as part of the alleged retaliatory assassination plan, but so were photos of the family members as well as information allegedly about their whereabouts and recent activities.

Both Hezbollah leaders as well as senior members of the Revolutionary Guards have been making explicit public threats about actions they will take to avenge the loss of their members in the strike by Israel.

Among Hezbollah’s dead was Jihad Mughniyeh and Mohammed Issa, a commander responsible for Hezbollah’s operations in Syria and Iraq. Mugniyah’s father, another terrorist commander, died in a 2008 car bombing.

Lori Lowenthal Marcus

Hezbollah Vows to Attack Israel ‘With Wisdom’

Sunday, January 25th, 2015

The Iranian-backed Hezbollah terrorist organization reassured the Beirut government last week it would use “wisdom” in attacking Israel and take Lebanon into consideration. Israel calmly beefed up military forces in the north and flew sorties over southern Lebanon.

Sunni Future Movement parliamentarian Ahmad Fatfat told the Elnashra news agency last week, “Fears of war between Hezbollah and Israel exist after [Hezbollah] showed no concern [for] the Lebanese interests as it implements an Iranian agenda.”

The secular party’s lawmaker made his remark in reference to a public vow by Iranian officials to avenge the death of a general from the elite Iranian Revolutional Guards unit. Hezbollah has long been serving as Iran’s proxy in Lebanon. The Iranian officer was killed last week with five others in his unit and six Hezbollah terrorists, including three commanders, when their convoy was attacked near Quneitra in Syria, in an airstrike attributed to Israel.

The IDF has not confirmed the attack.

“Hezbollah has not only the courage [to stand up to Israel] but also a high degree of wisdom,” said Lebanese government minister Muhammad Fneish. Also a member of Hezbollah, Fneish continued, “Whenever the response will come, Lebanon’s interests will be taken into consideration before anything,” he added, according to the Saturday edition of Kuwaiti daily “Al Anba’a.”

Fneish’s comments and the Al Anba’a article were translated Saturday by the Hebrew-language news website, Mako.

Also on Saturday, Israeli warplanes flew sorties over southern Lebanon and in the Beka’a Valley, according to Lebanese media. The move was part of a general military buildup by Israeli forces in the north.

On Friday, the Israel Defense Forces moved a number of troops up to the northern border area and security briefings were held at Northern Command headquarters in Tzefat.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon met at headquarters with Command Chief Maj.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi, Operations Branch head Maj.-Gen. Yoav Har Ev, and other senior command officers.

Ya’alon told reporters following the meeting that Israel will not tolerate attempts to harm its citizens. The IDF would respond “with force against any such attempt,” Ya’alon said.

Hana Levi Julian

Hezbollah Warns of ‘Costly Adventure’ After Israeli Air Strike

Monday, January 19th, 2015

The Lebanon-based Hezbollah terror organization warned Israel Sunday night that its air strike in Syria earlier in the day “could lead to a costly adventure that will put the Middle East at stake.”

The statement, broadcast on the terror group’s linked Al Manar television news channel, came following an IAF helicopter attack on a Hezbollah convoy traveling in the province of Quneitra in Syria.

Both Hezbollah commanders Jihad Mughniyeh and Mohamad Issa, known as Abu Issa, were killed along with four other terrorists, according to a statement from the group. In addition, a number of Iranian Revolutionary Guards were killed in the attack as well, according to a statement from the semi-official Iranian Tabnak news site.

The cell has launched a number of attacks on Israelis in the Golan Heights in the past. Israeli military sources said Mughniyeh was planning a series of deadly attacks against Israel, to be focused on IDF soldiers and Israeli civilians in the Golan Heights.

Lebanese media reported the Israeli air strike on Quneitra in Syria earlier Sunday. Two missiles were fired by an IAF helicopter in the area of Amal Farms, according to the report, later confirmed by Israeli military sources. Two Israeli reconnaissance planes were also seen flying in the area.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights quoted local sources as saying the missiles targeted armed vehicles, adding it was not clear which group the vehicles belonged to.

Lebanese sources reported that six Iranians and five Hezbollah terrorists were killed in the strike, including three senior Lebanese terrorists.

Abu Ali Tabtabai, Hezbollah field commander for Syria operations was allegedly also killed in the strike, according to local reports.

In July 2013, JewishPress.com reported that Hezbollah was setting up a terror division on the Golan Heights. This was followed by a Druze report in October 2014, which warned that Lebanese terrorist Samir Kuntar was in charge of organizing a special Golan Heights terror cell.

CNN Arabic reported several months ago that Mughniyeh was following in his father’s footsteps and had received a respected role in the terrorist organization. He was planning terror attacks against Israelis living in the Golan Heights, according to intelligence sources.

“Jihad Mughniyeh is a ruthless terrorist who created a serious terrorist organization with many capabilities,” a source said.  Rocket barrages and infiltrations using explosives and anti-tank missiles were on the list of attacks planned by Mughniyeh, the source said.

 

 

Hana Levi Julian

Shots Fired at IDF From Syrian Border

Thursday, October 30th, 2014

A small caliber weapon was used to shoot at IDF troops patrolling along the border near Quneitra, along the Syrian border, just before 4 PM on Thursday.

No soldiers were injured from the Syrian gunfire.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/shots-fired-at-idf-from-syrian-border/2014/10/30/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: