web analytics
January 30, 2015 / 10 Shevat, 5775
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Rafah’

Egypt Reopens Rafah Crossing

Monday, December 22nd, 2014

After closing the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Sinai/Egypt for the past 2 months, Egypt opened it up on Sunday for the first time.

Egypt transferred medical supplies to Gaza, and 250 Gazans exited to Egypt for medical treatment.

Egypt closed the crossing due the ongoing terror attacks against Egypt emanating from the Gaza Strip.

Following Tunnel Discover, Egypt to Raze More Gaza Border Homes

Saturday, November 22nd, 2014

After discovering last week, a tunnel from Gaza into the Sinai that extended 1850 meters, Egypt has decide to extend it sterile zone along its 14 kilometer Gazan border from 500 meters to 1000 meters it was announced on Thursday.

So far Egypt has destroyed 500 Rafah homes, affecting 25,000 people, and that number will now increase.

Egypt has paid out close to 8 million dollars to Rafah residents who homes were destroyed.The town of Rafah is located on the southern end of Gaza and is split in two by the border, half on the Gazan side, and half on the Egyptian/Sinai side.

In addition, Egypt is digging a trench along the 50 kilometer border that goes down to a depth of 50 meters to help stop the infiltrations from Gaza into the Sinai.

Egypt is still angry at the recent Gazan terror attack that killed over 30 Egyptian security personnel, which it blames on Hamas.

It has completely shut down the Rafah crossing between Egypt and Gaza.

Only Israel’s crossings into Gaza remain open, and Israel is allowing in construction material this coming week, which the UN claims will be monitored for misuse.

Gaza needs the construction material to rebuild homes that were destroyed after Hamas attacked Israel this summer and instigated a war.

Egyptian President A-Sisi said on Egyptian TV that he wasn’t going to allow Sinai to become a staging ground for terror attacks against Israel.

Egypt Evacuates Residents to Create Buffer Along Gaza Border

Wednesday, October 29th, 2014

Egypt is evacuating thousands of its residents from the Sinai side of the Gaza border in order to form a buffer zone.

The Egyptian government declared a state of emergency in the area after last week’s attack in which 31 soldiers were killed by the Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, a terror group linked to Al Qaeda and the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist organization.

Egyptians began moving from the area on Wednesday in accordance with military orders issued by the government.

The planned buffer zone is intended to block terrorists and smugglers, government officials told Egyptian media.

They keys to 62 homes were handed over to military officials by their owners on Wednesday (Oct. 29) in the town of Rafah, which straddles the border with Gaza.

According to international media, Egypt plans to expel families living in 880 homes along the northern Sinai border with Gaza.

That means that some 10,000 Egyptians will be left homeless, or at the least, displaced by the expulsion. The number is comparable to the number of Israelis expelled in the 2005 Disengagement from the Gush Katif region of Gaza and northern Samaria.

As was the case in Israel, the Egyptian government has promised financial compensation to those who were displaced – but residents have yet to see the money.

Unlike Israel, however, residents were given very short notice to pack up and leave their homes within the 13 kilometer area (8 miles).

Egypt Kills Commander in Ansar Beit al-Maqdis Terror Group

Thursday, October 2nd, 2014

Egyptian soldiers have killed a field commander in the most dangerous terrorist group in the country, the Al Qaeda-linked Ansar Beit al-Maqdis.

Egyptian army personnel confiscated two tons of explosives from a tunnel connecting Sinai to Gaza during the battle in which Mohammed Abu Shatiyeh was killed. Shatiyeh was behind the abduction of seven Egyptian soldiers last year.

The shootout took place just south of Rafah, along the Egyptian border with Gaza.

Egypt Kills 10 Gunmen in Sinai

Saturday, September 27th, 2014

Egypt killed 10 gunmen in northern Sinai from Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis Wahhabi. The Egypttian attacks took place near Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah.

Dozens more members of the group were wounded in the attack by the Egyptian military.

The group became active after Muslim Brotherhood’s President Morsi was ousted in Egypt’s 2013 military coup.

The group is reportedly responsible for numerous bombings inside Egyptian cities.

Terror Tunnel Used to Attack Egyptian Soldiers Near Gaza

Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014

A terrorist tunnel was used to attack and kill 11 Egyptian soldiers Tuesday near the Gaza border town of Rafah, according to an Egyptian security source.  According to an Egyptian security source quoted by the Associated Press on Wednesday, an explosive device was planted in a tunnel beneath a main traffic artery in the town.

Two of the soldiers died immediately in the explosion, which at first appeared to be a roadside bomb. The other nine soldiers were shot as they tried to flee, the sources said. Two more soldiers were wounded, according to a report in the Egyptian newspaper Al-Youm al-Saba’a.

According to the report, the Al Qaeda-linked Ansar Beit al-Maqdis terrorist organization, based in Sinai, may be connected to the Islamic State. The group claimed responsibility for the attack on the 11 Egyptian soldiers.

In addition, the group has claimed responsibility for beheading four Egyptians last month. Four bodies that had been decapitated were found in the Sinai Peninsula; Ansar Beit al-Maqdis later said it had beheaded four Egyptians it believed were collaborating with Israel. It was the first time that beheading was made public in Egypt.

Links have also been found between Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood, which appear to have joined together in Egypt in attempts to topple the administration of President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who deposed Muslim Brotherhood-backed former president, Mohammed Morsi, in July 2013.

Egyptian border police reported they destroyed eight new tunnels in the Sinai Peninsula, raising the total to 1,718 destroyed to this point, according to the Al Ahram newspaper.

On Wednesday, terrorists shot and killed a 32-year-old Egyptian off-duty police officer in northern Sinai Peninsula. The officer was walking home from work in the provincial capital of el-Arish when the gunmen opened fire, killing him on the spot. It is not clear which terrorist group was responsible for the attack.

On Monday, two jihadists died during a raid at a farm in Sinai whose owner was suspected of shooting at military aircraft, according to sources quoted by the Aswat Masriya website.

IAF Hits Terrorcycle

Friday, August 22nd, 2014

On Thursday, the Israel Air Force hit a motorcycle transporting 2 terrorists in Rafah.

The two were apparently involved in shooting rockets at Israel.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/iaf-hits-terrorcycle/2014/08/22/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: