Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu told the weekly Cabinet meeting Sunday morning that the international community’s ideas for peace with the Palestinian Authority ignore the security needs of Israel.
His remarks were made hours before French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius is to speak with the Prime Minister after meeting Palestinian Authority chairman Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah.
Fabius warned last week that “by doing nothing, there will be the twin risk of stalemate and setting [the conflict] ablaze.”
Looking back at the last 25 years of the “peace process,” it seems to have set everything ablaze, but Fabius still wants to try again, using the same magic potion but with larger dose of dynamite.
Prime Minister Netanyahu, without any hint to Fabius but with an obvious allusion to his new proposal reported here, said:
The relative quiet in Judea and Samaria does not need to fool anyone. There are attempts [by terrorists all the time, and to our dismay, sometimes they succeed.The reason that most of them do not succeed is the result of very intensive actions by the IDF, the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) and other security agencies.
There is a constant need to prevent these attacks, but the proposal of the international community does not have any real relationship to the security needs of Israel.
They are trying to push us to borders that cannot be defended while totally ignoring what will happen on the other side of the border.
Fabius wants the international community to replace the United States the non-existent table for non-existent negotiations for a non-existent willingness by the Palestinian Authority to receive every inch of land it says it wants but with the recognition of Israel as a Jewish state.
25 year old Danny Gonen from Lod, a small city near Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport, was murdered today by Palestinian Arab terrorists near the town of Dolev. Another Israeli was also shot in the same incident; he was shot in the legs.
The initial JewishPress.com report on the attack can be read here.
Gonen had been hiking with a friend, and after returning from their hike was flagged down by an Arab asking for assistance. The Arab terrorist, upon confirming they were Jewish proceeded to fire around 10 bullets at them.
Gonen had been an electrical engineering student.
Members of the Hamas terrorist organization reportedly were jubilant about the death.
Saturday night update: The terrorist has still not been caught.
Saeb Erekat, the chief negotiator for the Palestinian Authority, has issued a length report to the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) that calls for withdrawing recognition of Israel unless Jerusalem recognizes the PA.
The Ma’an News Agency, based n Bethlehem and with close ties to the Palestinian Authority, reported Thursday:
In a report entitled ‘Determining Palestinian-Israeli relations: Changing, not merely improving, the situation’ the PLO official recommends that the Palestinian leadership consider retracting its recognition of Israel until the Israeli government issues a reciprocal recognition of a Palestinian state.
As seen in the video below, Yasser Arafat in 1988 explicitly said at a Stockholm press conference:
We accept two states, the Palestine state and the Jewish state of Israel.’
The declaration helped succeed in advancing the “peace process” by which the PLO, which is the superior body to what now is the Palestinian Authority, wrangled hundreds of concessions from Israel without any compromise on its part.
Arafat’s declaration fell short of satisfying American demands that it recognize Israel’s right to exist under U.N. resolutions 242 and 348 that were the basis for a negotiated peace agreement that never happened.
Arafat also renounced terrorism.
Then-Foreign Minister Shimon Peres recognized Arafat’s remarks for what they were and called them a ”cunning exercise in public relations” while lacking “a commitment in reality.”
Plenty of blood has been spilled since then, as is well-known by relatives of thousands of victims of Palestinian Authority terror.
Mahmoud Abbas, who succeeded Arafat after his death, brilliantly brought the Palestinian Authority to the brink of achieving its stated aim, but he has refused to recognize Israel as a “Jewish” state because doing so would make it almost impossible to force Israel into accepting millions of foreign Arabs into the country, leaving Jews as a minority.
Erekat now has gone even further with his report that urges the PLO not to recognize Israel at all, Jewish or not, unless the same recognition is given to the Ramallah regime.
The chief negotiator went off the face of the Earth and said, according to Ma’an:
Efforts [should] be made for Hamas and Islamic Jihad to join the PLO’s Executive Committee and [he] urged the PLO and Palestinian factions to support popular resistance and the boycott of Israeli settlement products.
The PLO official also recommended that the Palestinian leadership play a better role in assisting the Palestinian diaspora in Lebanon and Syria.
At first glance, it seems that Erekat has lost his marbles.
He knows very wall that Israel will not recognize the Palestinian Authority because doing so would be an implicit agreement to turn over the country to Ramallah.
Erekat knows very well that inviting Hamas and Islamic Jihad into the PLO executive would rip the cover off the Palestinian Authority as sponsor of terror.
He probably does not understand that the Boycott Israel movement has reached its peak and is going the way of the Palestinian Authority, a moribund entity.
So what could be going in his mind?
Considering the mayhem in the Palestinian Authority government, which this week dissolve or did not dissolve depending on which official was the last to speak, Erekat could be jockeying to replace Abbas, who is 80 years old and in the eight year of a four-year term to which he was elected.
Erekat fits the bill to take over the reins because the ambition of any Palestinian Authority leader is exactly the opposite of what the world thinks it wants.
Neither Abbas nor Erekat want to see it become a state because it would collapse like a house of cards, all of which are jokers.
Michael Oren, former Israeli Ambassador to the United States and now a Knesset Member with the Kulanu party, wrote Tuesday that President Barack Obama “deliberately” abandoned a 40-year core policy regarding Jewish population centers in Judea and Samaria.
Writing in The Wall Street Journal, Oren stated that President Obama is a “friend” of Israel but nevertheless maintained that while anyone can make a mistake, President Obama did so on purpose.
In his words:
Only one leader made them deliberately. Obama promoted an agenda of championing the Palestinian cause and achieving a nuclear accord with Iran.
It took Oren six years to respond and correct part of President Obama’s “Reaching Out to Muslims” speech in Cairo, in which he said, “When there is no daylight, Israel just sits on the sidelines and that erodes our credibility with the Arabs.”
Oren, who still is a champion of the “peace process,” sounded like a Netanyahu sympathizer in part of his op-ed, writing that President Obama ignored Israel’s withdrawal of all Israeli soldiers and the expulsion of 9,000 Jews from Gaza in 2005. Obama also ignored several major concessions to the Palestinian Authority, including one that offered it almost all of Judea and Samaria and eastern Jerusalem.
President Obama said in his speech that Israel should freeze all building for Jews in “settlements,” to which Oren finally wrote in his article:
Israeli leaders typically received advance copies of major American policy statements on the Middle East and could submit their comments. But Mr. Obama delivered his Cairo speech, with its unprecedented support for the Palestinians and its recognition of Iran’s right to nuclear power, without consulting Israel.
The Bush administration had committed itself to writing in a letter to then-Prime Ariel Sharon that large population centers, such as Maaleh Adumim and Gush Etzion, would remain under Israeli sovereignty in a future Palestinian Authority state.
Obama abandoned that policy and insisted that the promise by Bush was an “unofficial” and non-binding letter. In Oren’s words:
Mr. Obama also voided President George W. Bush’s commitment to include the major settlement blocs and Jewish Jerusalem within Israel’s borders in any peace agreement. Instead, he insisted on a total freeze of Israeli construction in those areas —’not a single brick.’
It was clear from that time that the Obama was working behind the scenes, and sometimes up front, on behalf of the Palestinian Authority and against Israel.
Oren came out of the closet in his op-ed today and charged that President Obama never asked for any concession from the Palestinian Authority despite the fact the Mahmoud Abbas “violated all of his commitments.”
The United States so far has publicly opposed a Palestinian Authority effort in the U.N. Security Council to condemn Israel for a Jewish presence in Judea and Samaria and to vote the Palestinian Authority into the United Nations as a permanent member.
However, the Obama administration has made open statements that it does not know how much longer it wants to use its veto power in the Security Council on behalf of Israel.
President Obama abandoned a four-decade U.S. policy in May 2011 and stated that a future agreement with the Palestinian Authority should be based on the borders drawn under the 1949 Temporary Armistice Agreement, which lasted until the Six-Day War in 1967.
If Mr. Netanyahu appeared to lecture the president the following day, it was because he had been assured by the White House, through me, that no such change would happen.
He also wrote that the Obama administration “stunned” Israel by offering to support a Security Council investigation of settlements and by backing Turkish and Egyptian maneuvers to force Israel to come clean on its nuclear capability.
An IDF vehicle overturned and killed a Palestinian Authority terrorist who was hurling firebombs at soldiers during a riot near Ramallah Sunday morning.
One of the soldiers in the vehicle reportedly was lightly injured. The military is investigating.
The terrorist was identified as Abdullah Iyyad Ghane, from a village near Ramallah. He apparently was a member of Hamas, which immediately issued a statement of mourning.
Another riot near Ramallah on Friday was filmed by Arab media that showed soldier beating an Arab while he was pinned to the ground. Soldiers said that the man had tried to grab a rifle of one of the soldiers and attempted to assault him.
The Kfir Brigade soldiers involved in the incident face questioning and possible disciplinary action by the IDF today.
Last week, a Palestinian Authority rioter was killed after he stabbed a solider during a riot.
Expect the U.S. State Dept. this week to issue a statement calling for “both sides to exercise restraint” and for a “proportionate” response by soldiers under a hail of rocks and firebombs.
Israel and Jordan have agreed to a plan for 1,500 Jordanians to partially replace foreign workers from Asia and Europe to work in Eilat.
The agreement was signed on Friday, Israeli Deputy Minister of Regional Cooperation Ayoob Kara told the Bethlehem-based Ma’an News Agency. Until now, Jordanians with permits to work in Israel have been excluded from Eilat.
More permits also have been given e to Palestinian Authority workers to be employed in Israel. This would seem to be good news for the economy in the Ramallah-based regime, but leave it to the left-wing B’Tselem to find a cloudy lining in a silver cloud.
The organization claims that tens of thousands of Arabs from Judea and Samaria are “forced” to seek a living by working in Israel because the Zionist’ occupation stifles the economy, Ma’an reported.
Wages paid by Israeli firms are far higher than those paid by Arab employers.
The Palestinian Authority is gloating over footage of soldiers apparently beating an innocent man, but soldiers said that the video does not show a prior scene of the man trying to snatch on their rifles.
The IDF said it the apparent behavior of the soldiers, seen kicking him while he was pinned to the ground, does not “match expectations” of the military.
The incident took place neat Beit El and Ramallah, as it does every Friday. Dozens of people, including children, hurl rocks at soldiers and often cause injuries. Soldiers said that the man shown in the film is a constant thorn in their side and always incites others.
It is not easy being an Israeli soldier in Judea and Samaria. Troops are forbidden to shoot bullets at rock thrower. They are constantly filmed by Arab media who are waiting for a chance to show the soldiers as thugs.
This time they succeeded. Even if the video left out the attempted rifle-snatching and assault of a soldier, the “disproportionate” response darkens Israel’s image that is never going to be positive in the eyes of the media and political leaders.
Below is the video as filmed and edited by Arab media.