web analytics
August 2, 2015 / 17 Av, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘ransom’

ISIS Ultimatum to Japan: $200 Million or Execution of Two Japanese Citizens

Tuesday, January 20th, 2015

The Islamic State (ISIS) has released a video in which it demands $200 million from the Japanese government to save the lives of two its citizens being held hostage.

The ransom matches the same sum of money that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pledged last week for non-military assistance to countries fighting the ISIS.

“Should we leave terrorism or weapons of mass destruction to spread in this region, the loss imparted upon the international community would be immeasurable,” said Abe, who by coincidence or not is visiting in Israel at the time ISIS posted its ultimatum.

The hostages were identified as journalist Kenji Goto Jogo and private military contractor Haruna Yukawa, who traveled to Syria for unknown reasons.

The audio in the video, which YouTube has banned, features a British-accented man, probably the same barbarian who beheaded other hostages.

He said to Japan in the video, “You have proudly donated $100 million to kill our women and children, to destroy the homes of the Muslims.” The actual amount was $200 million, which the ISIS badly needs to funds is operations in the wake of falling revenues from the plunge in the price of oil, on which it has depended for revenues.

The ISIS has attracted members from all over the world, including Japan. An Israeli official has said that nine Japanese citizens have joined the ranks of the ISIS.

 

 

 

 

Israeli to Raise Ransom Money for Missing Boys

Sunday, June 22nd, 2014

An Israeli entrepreneur has launched a project to raise NIS 500,000 in order to buy the release of Eyal Yifrah, Gil-Ad Shayer and Naftali Frenkel.

Matan Nahmani, a self-described “social media professional,” has launched a a campaign to raise the money on Headstart,a crowd funding platform. He says the money will be used to offer cash rewards for information leading to the missing teens, or to the individuals responsible for abducting them.

“After attracting all the money, in accordance with Headstart rules, I will begin to publicise the prize in the Arabic press and social media networks,” Nahmani told the Hebrew-language NRG website.

“The idea behind this project is that first-and-foremost, we Israelis, who care so much about the boys, must be dedicated to contributing whatever necessary to creating this prize. After that, we will ask the rest of the world to help, and even to make the prize bigger,” Nahmani said.

Germany Urged to Resolve Greek Holocaust Ransom Issue

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014

The World Jewish Congress urged Germany to address a request by the Greek Jewish community of Thessaloniki to be paid back for a ransom it had surrendered to the Nazis when they occupied Greece during the Second World War.

In 1942, the Greek Jewish community paid 1.9 billion drachmas (about $61 million in today’s money) to a Nazi commander for the release of about 10,000 Jews who were forced to perform hard labor on roads and railroads. About 50,000 Thessaloniki Jews were killed during the Holocaust.

The Jewish community of Thessaloniki first brought the request to return the money before Greek courts in 2007. This year, the Jewish community is suing Germany over the issue in the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, although Germany’s Finance Ministry has so far rejected the request.

“Surely the German government, which has settled so many Holocaust-era claims righteously, can find a resolution for this claim, which the Jewish community of Thessaloniki in Greece has pressed for decades and is extensively documented,” World Jewish Congress President Ronald S. Lauder said Tuesday. “As German President Joachim Gauck makes an official visit to Greece this week, now is the time to bring closure to this episode.”

Thessaloniki Jews Suing Germany in European Human Rights Court

Monday, February 24th, 2014

The Jewish community of Thessaloniki is suing Germany for the return of a ransom paid during the Nazi occupation of Greece.

The papers were filed Friday in the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France, the community’s president, David Saltiel, told JTA.

The move to the European court comes after a struggle of two decades in Greek courts, including the Supreme Court, which ruled that Germany had immunity under international conventions.

“It is the end of a long process,” Saltiel said. “We have finished with the courts in Greece and now we hope that the Human Rights Court can help restore the ransom money that the Jewish community paid to Germany.”

The ransom was paid to free some 9,000 of Thessaloniki’s Jewish men, aged 18 to 45, from forced labor by the Germans, who took control of the city in 1942. The German civilian administrator of the Thessaloniki , Max Merten, demanded some 2.5 billion drachmas to release them.

“They were sick and dying and starving and working without food, so the community collected the money to pay,” said Saltiel.

In total, 1.9 billion drachmas, or nearly $69 million, was paid before the Germans began transporting Thessaloniki Jews to the death camps. More than 49,000 Jews out of the city’s prewar Jewish population of 55,000 were deported. Fewer than 2,000 survived.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/thessaloniki-jews-suing-germany-in-european-human-rights-court/2014/02/24/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: