web analytics
October 28, 2016 / 26 Tishri, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘rebels’

Israeli Provisions Causing Rift among Syrian Rebels

Wednesday, June 15th, 2016

Shipments of food supplies from Israel, bearing the names of well known Israeli brands, have been the source of much strife in Arab media and Arab social networks, most likely because this is the month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast during the day and think about food more often than usual. The provisions, including packaged rice and wheat, reach the Al-Quneitra district, which is dominated by the Syrian opposition. But while some rebel groups welcome the Israeli support, other groups, some of which are affiliated with President Assad’s regime, have attacked the initiative, saying that “it’s an insult to receive food from the Zionist entity which is oppressing the Golan.”

The Golan Heights, a hilly stretch overlooking lake Kinneret and Israel’s civilian communities, used to be the spots from which Syrian soldiers would target Israelis down below like fish in a barrel for 19 years, until Israel put an end to the madness by capturing the hills and denying the Syrians their target practice.

Pictures of the Israeli food products have reached the London daily Al-Quds Al-Arabi, which cited a source on the ground in southern Syria that claimed Israel has been supporting the rebel groups there since 2013, after Jordan had closed off its Syrian border. Obviously, the groups who don’t get to share in the Israeli made rice, wheat, tea and Canola oil describe the haves as traitors and Zionist collaborators.

Israeli food products in Syria

Israeli food products in Syria

Revolutionary Military Council in Quneitra and the Golan last week issued a strong condemnation that went: “We condemn the insult our people have sustained in the liberated Al-Quneitra district in the form of food supplies awarded by the Zionist entity which is repressing the Golan which was sold out by the regime.” The RMCQ was particularly upset because the revelation of the Zionist food supplies came close to the part of the year when the anniversaries of the 1948 and the 1967 wars take place, in May and June respectively.

Al-Quds Al-Arabi cited a local activist who said the food is being hauled into Syria by members of the Free Syrian Army, after they deliver their wounded to hospitals south of the border, in Israel. It appears there are many Syrians who are delighted and grateful that Israel has been so supportive. Fahd Al-Mousa, head of the liberated Quneitra district council told the newspaper that only Israel has been a reliable ally for his people.

“Since the beginning of the Syrian revolution we haven’t found a way to bring the injured and hurt into any Arab country,” Al-Mousa stated, adding that only Israel has opened its gates to them. “And there are packages of medicine, milk for babies and additional foodstuffs that enter the district from Israel,” he said. Compared with Israel’s consistent support, he said, help from the gulf emirates had been sporadic.

Motti Kahane, president of the humanitarian organization Amalia, told Ynet that in southern Syria there may be more than 50 different rebel groups, each of which runs its own fundraising and receives its own supplies from five different countries. Amalia would like to serve as a go between for all the donated goods and food that come in, and to dispense them fairly and equally through the Quneitra crossing between Israel and Syria, which is normally closed.


Syrian Rebels: Badreddine’s Assassination Hezbollah Inside Job

Sunday, May 15th, 2016

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights rejected Hezbollah’s accusation that the assassination of its prominent commander Mustafa Badreddine in Damascus airport had been carried out by “takfiri” (accusers of infidelity) rebel groups. The pan-Arab daily Asharq al-Awsat on Sunday cited several Syrian opposition members who speculated that Badreddine’s death was an “inside job that reflects the conflict between the Iranian and Russian forces in Damascus.”

Mustafa Badreddine was a military leader of Hezbollah and both the cousin and brother-in-law of Imad Mugniyah, a senior member of Lebanon’s Islamic Jihad Organization and Hezbollah who was killed in 2008 by a car bomb blast around in Damascus. Until 1982, Badreddine, like Mugniyeh, was part of the PLO Force 17. Later they both joined Hezbollah. Mughniyeh was implicated in the 1990s bombing of the Jewish center in Argentina, and was the architect of Hezbollah’s guerrilla defense in its 2006 war with Israel. Badreddine became military commander in Hezbollah in 2008 after his brother-in-law’s death.

In June 2011 Badreddine was indicted for charges related to the assassination of former Lebanese prime minister Rafiq Hariri by the Special Tribunal for Lebanon. The accusations against him and three other Hezbollah members were based on mobile phone evidence. Hezbollah chief Hasan Nasrallah threatened the members of the tribunal, and Badreddine and the others fled to Iran. The Special Tribune decided to try Badreddine in absentia, but is yet to get around to doing it.

It is possible that Badreddine was taken out by his own people for sheer incompetence. He led Hezbollah’s forces in Syria, fighting on the side of the Assad government, alongside Hezbollah’s patron, Iran. The Hezbollah contingency in Syria has suffered severe casualties, with an estimated 1,000 dead being shipped back to Lebanon in coffins, among them Jihad Mughniyeh, Imad’s son.

At Badreddine’s funeral last week, Nasrallah said: “they would soon announce conclusions about the perpetrators.”

Asharq al-Awsat said the rebel factions were camped some 7 miles away from Damascus airport and did not have the capabilities to kill Badreddine.


Iranian Arms Delivery to Yemen Rebels Intercepted

Thursday, October 1st, 2015

While European nations and others rush to renew their economic ties with Tehran, Iran’s military has also been busy making sure its arms export mechanism continues to roll out product to the masses.

An Iranian arms delivery to Shi’ite Houthi rebels fighting in Yemen was intercepted last week in the northern Arabian Sea.

It’s not clear whether the interception was carried out by a Saudi-led coalition of by a member of the 30-nation Combined Maritime Forces, (CMF) a U.S.-led multinational coalition.

It is believed the vessel, which was not formally registered to any country, was attempting to smuggle the weapons in to Shi’ite rebels in Yemen.

Crew members on the intercepted vessel said the ship was headed for Somalia, located near Yemen, across the Gulf of Aden.

The ship was a dhow, a large wooden vessel commonly used in the Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean, according to a report by the Associated Press.

It was registered to Hogan Mohammed Hout, an Iranian national, and licensed as a fishing vessel, AP reported, quoting a Saudi coalition engaged in fighting Shi’ite Houthi rebels in Yemen.

The vessel was intercepted while carrying the weapons in international waters, the U.S. Navy said in a statement, contradicting a claim by the Saudi coalition which placed the interception a day later, and by Saudis. An American guided missile destroyer, the Forrest Sherman, reportedly went to provide backup once the arms were discovered.

The U.S. Navy also stated that based on statements by the crew, the port of origin and the arms were believed to be Iranian.

According to the Saudis, the ship was carrying papers indicating it was checked by port and customs officials in the southeastern Iranian ports in Sistan and Baluchistan.

Some of the anti-tank ordnance allegedly originated in Russia as well.

Most of the weapons were dumped into the sea, with the exception of a few retained for analysis, and the vessel was allowed to continue on its way.

The account differs from statements made earlier in the day by the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthis. That coalition alleged it had foiled the same smuggling attempt – albeit on Saturday – saying Iran was using the ship to arm the Houthis.

Hana Levi Julian

Exclusive: Syrian Activist Blasts Foreign Deal to Train, Arm & Equip Syrian ‘Moderate’ Forces

Friday, February 20th, 2015

A new U.S. agreement with Turkey to train and equip five thousand moderate Syrian opposition forces “is not a serious effort at all to win a war,” a displaced Syrian activist refugee says. Aboud Dandachi, who now lives in Istanbul, Turkey says a plan to train and arm 5,000 moderate Syrian opposition forces is “not serious at all.”

The plan signed by the United States at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara is intended to train, equip and arm 5,000 troops. Congress has already allocated half a billion dollars for the project, but according to a Pentagon spokesperson, only 1,200 “moderates” have been “identified” for the program slated to begin in mid-March. How long will it take U.S. military specialists to train, equip and arm 5,000 Syrian rebels? How effective will this program be? Will it help change the picture with Daesh, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria terrorist group? Will anything be resolved in Syria by this?

Dandachi has had first-hand experience observing the factors that led to the nightmare that once was his homeland. A business person, he became a refugee within his own country after being forced to leave his home in Homs when the Syrian Army launched an artillery and tank assault on his neighborhood. After moving from one place to the next and following the Assad regime’s use of chemical weapons against two Damascus neighborhoods, Dandachi made the painful decision to leave his homeland and traveled to Istanbul, arriving in September 2013.  He has a rather sardonic view of President Barack Obama’s new plan to help Syrian rebel forces. As to the American president’s international credibility …. well …

“Where do I begin with the problem with this approach,” Dandachi replied in an exclusive interview conducted via the Internet with JewishPress.com on Thursday. “If an Israeli wants a career in the IDF, he or she knows where to sign up. If any Jew anywhere in the world wants to dedicate a few years of their lives to serving Israel, they know the address.

“You can’t build a military by “scouting” soldiers; you need people to know where to come forward,” Dandachi said. “As a Syrian I can’t very well sit around and hope to be ‘discovered’ by Obama,” he continued. “And then if I were, it will be a cold day in hell before I trust him to sell me a used car, much less supply me with weapons.

“War is a potentially long term affair; will Obama keep this force supplied for the years it may take to have any effect? The Americans have proven notoriously fickle in the past,” he observed. (Ed. – More than one news commentator has made similar remarks, referencing America’s behavior in Iraq and Afghanistan, for starters.)

Somewhat taken aback by his candor, this writer asked a second time about the advisability of revealing his identity – but was told “by all means” to go ahead.

“I was never a fighter and I will never be one, I’ve never held a gun in my life, but I’m sure that’s what many potential fighters could be thinking right now,” Dandachi wrote. “When the U.S. went to war in WWII and Vietnam, it didn’t want to “vet” its potential pool of recruits – it drafted anyone above a certain age. When you wage all-out war you can’t hand-pick your fighters; you need to make sure of the widest possible amount of potential manpower available.

“Training” several thousand soldiers is not a serious effort at all to win a war,” he contended.

By the way — Dandachi’s point has some merit: how effective can 5,000 U.S.-trained troops be against the combined forces of Syrian military forces, backed and equipped by Russia and Iran, fighting side by side with the elite Iranian Revolutionary Guards force and the Lebanon-based Hezbollah guerrilla fighters?

Syrian “moderate” forces will also be facing the “other” Syrian rebel faction — that of the radical Islamist rebels linked to Al Qaeda (Jabhat al Nusra, for instance) and now also Daesh, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). That force alone numbers in the tens of thousands: the most recent estimates place the total number of “moderate” Syrian rebel fighters at best at 20,000.

Can this cause be saved?

Hana Levi Julian

104 Syrians Killed on Friday

Sunday, November 16th, 2014

The dead : 13 civilians, 12 rebels, 14 Non-Syrian Islamic fighters, 17 NDF, 24 Regular forces, 8 unknown rebels, 15 ISIS, 1 Non-Syrian fighter allied to regime forces .

By province : Aleppo ( 1 civilian, 10 rebels ), Idlib ( 1 civilian ) Damascus ( 1 rebel ) ,Hama ( 1 civilian ), Dar’a ( 2 rebels, 7 civilians ), Homs ( 2 civilians )

Source: SOHR

Jewish Press News Briefs

Syrian Death Count for Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Thursday, October 16th, 2014

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports the following casualties for Tuesday, October 14, 2014:

244 people were killed in Syria on Tuesday.

The dead : 40 civilians, 39 rebels, 23 Non-Syrian Islamic fighters, 28 NDF, 47 Regular forces, 18 unknown rebels, 39 ISIS, 5 YPG, 5 non-Syrian fighters allied to regime forces.

By province : Aleppo (7 rebels, 2 civilians), Reef Dimashq (5 rebels, 27 civilians), Damascus (1 civilian, 5 rebels), Idlib (3 rebels, 2 civilians), Homs (6 civilians), Hama (4 rebels, 1 civilian), Dar’a (2 rebels), Quneitra (7 rebels), Der-Ezzor (1 civilian).

The combatant breakdown is as follows:

– an Islamic fighter killed by an IED exploded in his car in Idlib countryside. – 5 Islamic fighters allied to ISIS killed by clashes against regime forces in Hweja Saqir in Der-Ezzor, in addition to an Islamic fighter killed by an explosion in his car in al-Huwayqa. – 32 ISIS killed by coalition air strikes around Ein al-Arab “Kobane”. – 7 ISIS and 5 YPG killed by clashes between the two sides in Ein al-Arab ” Kobane” . – 18 Unknown rebels killed by clashes against regime forces, bombardment, and targeting their checkpoints . – 28 National Defense Forces militiamen were killed by clashes and attacks on their checkpoints around Syria. – 47 Regular forces were killed by clashes, snipers, IEDs, and attacks on their checkpoints and vehicles: Damascus and Reef Dimashq 7, Aleppo 6, Daraa 2, Quneitra 4, Hama 8, Der-Ezzor 12, Lattakia 1, Homs 1, Idlib 8. – 23 Non-Syrian fighters from ISIS, Jund Al-Sham and Jabhat Al-Nusra were killed by clashes and targeted bombardment. – 5 Non-Syrian fighters allied to the regular forces, killed by clashes against Islamic battalions and Jabhat al-Nusra in Reef Dimashq and Aleppo.

207 people were killed in fighting in Syria on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Jewish Press News Briefs

268 Arabs Killed in Syria on Sunday

Monday, October 6th, 2014

In Syria, 268 Arabs were killed on Sunday.

Among them were 168 fighters from the Syrian Opposition side, including Kurdish forces, ISIS, and the Islamic front.

From Assad’s side, 89 combatants were killed mostly in fighting in Damascus and Haleb, among them members of Hezbollah, .

18 civilians were also killed.

Does the world actually care?

Source: Syrian Observatory for Human Rights

Jewish Press News Briefs

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/268-arabs-killed-in-syria-on-sunday/2014/10/06/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: