web analytics
July 30, 2015 / 14 Av, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Saeb Erekat’

Saeb Erekat Takes Over as Head of PLO

Wednesday, July 15th, 2015

 

Saeb Erekat, who has been Mahmoud Abbas’ key man in so-called negotiations with Israel, has moved into the chair of the secretary-general of PLO, two weeks after Abbas appointed him to the post.

Erekat is the most likely successor to Abbas, who now is 80 years old and is serving his seventh year beyond the four-term to which he was elected in the first and last PA elections.

Assuming there will be new elections some day, Erekat may face opposition from Mohammed Dahlan, who was Abbas’ strong man in Gaza until he became too strong and a threat to Abbas.

Another likely candidate is arch-terrorist Marwan Barghouti, who is serving five life terms in prison for his involvement in the murder and injuries of hundreds of Israelis, which makes him the most popular man in the Palestinian Authority.

As head of the PLO, Erekat is its top leader except for Abbas. The PLO is in effect the senior organization to the Palestinian Authority.

Ashraf Khatib, a senior adviser for the PLO negotiations affairs department, told the Ma’an News Agency that Erekat is not being groomed as Abbas’ successor and that he was appointed to head the PLO to help restructure the organization.

Erekat replaces Abed Rabbo, who was fired by Abbas, reportedly because of suspicions that he and Dahlan were conspiring to undermine Abbas and take over the Palestinian Authority.

Erekat has become increasingly belligerent towards Israel. Last month, he recommended that the PLO withdraw its recognition of Israel, try to bring Hamas under the PLO umbrella and escalate the “peaceful struggle” against Israel, meaning “let’s kill the Jews.”

 

 

 

 

he PLO umbrella and escalate the “peaceful struggle” against Israel, meaning “let’s kill the Jews.”

PA’s Saeb Erekat Calls for Withdrawing Recognition of Israel [video]

Thursday, June 18th, 2015

Saeb Erekat, the chief negotiator for the Palestinian Authority, has issued a length report to the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) that calls for withdrawing recognition of Israel unless Jerusalem recognizes the PA.

The Ma’an News Agency, based n Bethlehem and with close ties to the Palestinian Authority, reported Thursday:

In a report entitled ‘Determining Palestinian-Israeli relations: Changing, not merely improving, the situation’ the PLO official recommends that the Palestinian leadership consider retracting its recognition of Israel until the Israeli government issues a reciprocal recognition of a Palestinian state.

As seen in the video below, Yasser Arafat in 1988 explicitly said at a Stockholm press conference:

We accept two states, the Palestine state and the Jewish state of Israel.’

The declaration helped succeed in advancing the “peace process” by which the PLO,  which is the superior body to what now is the Palestinian Authority, wrangled hundreds of concessions from Israel without any compromise on its part.

Arafat’s declaration fell short of satisfying American demands that it recognize Israel’s right to exist under U.N. resolutions 242 and 348 that were the basis for a negotiated peace agreement that never happened.

Arafat also renounced terrorism.

Then-Foreign Minister Shimon Peres recognized Arafat’s remarks for what they were and called them a ”cunning exercise in public relations” while lacking “a commitment in reality.”

Plenty of blood has been spilled since then, as is well-known by relatives of thousands of victims of Palestinian Authority terror.

Mahmoud Abbas, who succeeded Arafat after his death, brilliantly brought the Palestinian Authority to the brink of achieving its stated aim, but he has refused to recognize Israel as a “Jewish” state because doing so would make it almost impossible to force Israel into accepting millions of foreign Arabs into the country, leaving Jews as a minority.

Erekat now has gone even further with his report that urges the PLO not to recognize Israel at all, Jewish or not, unless the same recognition is given to the Ramallah regime.

The chief negotiator went off the face of the Earth and said, according to Ma’an:

Efforts [should] be made for Hamas and Islamic Jihad to join the PLO’s Executive Committee and [he] urged the PLO and Palestinian factions to support popular resistance and the boycott of Israeli settlement products.

The PLO official also recommended that the Palestinian leadership play a better role in assisting the Palestinian diaspora in Lebanon and Syria.

At first glance, it seems that Erekat has lost his marbles.

He knows very wall that Israel will not recognize the Palestinian Authority because doing so would be an implicit agreement to turn over the country to Ramallah.

Erekat knows very well that inviting Hamas and Islamic Jihad into the PLO executive would rip the cover off the Palestinian Authority as sponsor of terror.

He probably does not understand that the Boycott Israel movement has reached its peak and is going the way of the Palestinian Authority, a moribund entity.

So what could be going in his mind?

Considering the mayhem in the Palestinian Authority government, which this week dissolve or did not dissolve depending on which official  was the last to speak, Erekat could be jockeying to replace Abbas, who is 80 years old and in the eight year of a four-year term to which he was elected.

Erekat fits the bill to take over the reins because the ambition of any Palestinian Authority leader is exactly the opposite of what the world thinks it wants.

Neither Abbas nor Erekat want to see it become a state because it would collapse like a house of cards, all of which are jokers.

Below is Arafat’s declaration in 1988.

French NGOs and Palestinian Authority behind BDS Pressure on Orange

Sunday, June 7th, 2015

A coalition of French NGOs, some of them partly funded by the government, last month published a 51-page document named “Orange’s Dangerous Liaisons in the Occupied Palestinian Territory” to spearhead the campaign to pressure Orange to boycott Israel’s Partner Communications, which markets the Orange mobile phone service brand.

The Palestinian Authority joined the French NGOS to lobby the government and Orange to boycott Israel, the Israel-based NGO Monitor reported.

The NGOs reportedly met with Orphanage officials on May 26 and told them that its business link with Partner endangered its reputation. Orange told the BDS promoters that the agreement for Partner’s marketing the Orange brand expires in 10 years.

NGO Monitor reported:

The authors of the report asked Orange to publicly and explicitly state its decision to disengage and to denounce the human rights violations that Partner is involved in  Israeli settlements in the OPT [occupied Palestinian territories-sic]. In other words, the statements made by the France-based company are a wholesale adoption of the NGOs’ BDS agenda (which is illegal in France).

Following the publication of the report, Saeb Erekat, lead negotiator of the Palestinian Authority (PA), wrote to France’s foreign minister, Laurent Fabius, to denounce the link between Orange and Partner.

Organizations participating in the move to pressure Orange to boycott Israel include the European-based Who Profits, Al Haq, Catholic Committee Against Hunger and for Development-Terre Solidaire (CCFD), FIDH, and Association France Palestine Solidarité (AFPS).

Who Profits, which now is a separate organization, began to campaign against all of Israel’s cell phone companies in 2009 for allegedly being “commercially involved in the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and the Golan Heights” and “exploit[ing] the Palestinian frequencies and to impose their services on the Palestinian captive market.”

The Who Profits webpage also attacks Partner for sponsoring IDF units in the Golan, Judea and Samaria in the “Adopt a Soldier” project.

The 51-page document stated:

During the attack on Gaza in the summer of 2014, Partner was on the front lines providing material support, cellular services and entertainment to the Israeli soldiers. The company also waived service fees for soldiers carrying [sic] the assault during July-August 2014.

The French government, which owns 25 percent of Orange, granted the Catholic Committee Against Hunger and for Development-Terre Solidaire received nearly $400,000 from France in 2012. The same organization is a member of the Platform of French NGOs for Palestine,

FIDH last year libeled Israel with allegations that it deliberately targeted civilians in the war against Hamas rockets and missiles on Israeli civilians. The NGO is funded in part by the European Union and the governments of Finland, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.

NGO Monitor added, “Al Haq is funded directly by the governments of Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Ireland, and indirectly by UK, Sweden, Germany, and the UN.”

Its report continued:

Al Haq is a leader of lawfare and BDS against Israel. A main actor in the NGO campaign to file war crimes charges against Israeli officials at the International Criminal Court (ICC)….

Al Haq proposed sabotaging the Israeli court system by ‘flooding the [Israeli Supreme] Court with petitions in the hope of obstructing its functioning and resources.’

The Israeli Supreme Court has identified Al Haq’s general director Shawan Jabarin as ‘among the senior activists of the Popular Front terrorist organization.’

The Association France Palestine Solidarité (AFPS) was funded by the French government in 2012, refers to the “Gaza extermination camp” and states, “It is inconceivable and unacceptable that the ‘Jewish-executioner’ would hide behind the ‘Jewish victim!’” Other AFPS rhetoric includes ethnic cleansing, apartheid state, and “Stop hunting Palestinian children!”

A French court in 2014 ruled in favor of the French distributor of Israel-based SodaStream in a lawsuit charging the pro-BDS group with stating that SodaStream products were being illegally sold in France.

PLO Blows Up Netanyahu’s ‘Peace Process’ Renewal

Wednesday, May 27th, 2015

The Palestinian Authority and its superior PLO organization have totally dismissed Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s overture to sit down and discuss new borders that would leave several settlement blocs under Israel sovereignty.

Haaretz headlined on Tuesday a report that Prime Minister Netanyahu told European Union foreign policy adviser Federica Mogherini last week that he wants to advance the idea of “two states for two peoples.” His suggestion theoretically would be a step towards the expulsion of more than 100,000 Jews in other areas of Judea and Samaria that would be part of a new Arab country.

The Jewish Press.com reported here on Tuesday that Netanyahu simply was leading Mogherini along her rosy path while knowing full well that the Palestinian Authority is not interested in resuming negotiations.

Lo and behold, the Ma’an News Agency, based in Bethlehem, published Wednesday morning an amazing statement by Palestinian Authority negotiator Saed Erekat, who said:

If Mr. Netanyahu wants to have meaningful negotiations ending the occupation that began in 1967, he should recognize a Palestinian State on the 1967 border and honor Israel’s obligations including a halt of settlement construction and the release of the Palestinian prisoners.

There never has been a clearer admission of the Palestinian Authority’s understanding of the word “negotiation,” which it defines as “give us everything we want and then we will talk about, hmmmm, uh, about expelling Israel from FIFA, assuming it survives charges of wholesale bribery.”

PLO official Hanan Ashrawi also condemned Netanyahu’s proposal, which she called a “disingenuous and manipulative exercise of political and legal deception.”

Several knee-jerk nationalists went bonkers over Netanyahu’s suggestion to Mogherini, reflecting a paranoia that ignores political and diplomatic realities of which the Prime Minister is well ware.

Virtually all of the Israeli media establishment, and foreign media are sure to follow, attacked Netanyahu from all sides this week of “dividing and conquering” the Foreign Ministry. However, it is clear Netanyahu wants to retain control because he knows best how to exploit the Palestinian Authority’s total rejection of the Oslo Accords and negotiations, as defined by Webster’s.

French Firm Pulls Out of Jerusalem Cable Car Project after PA Pressure

Thursday, March 26th, 2015

(JNS.org) The French consortium SAFEGE has decided to end its participation in a Jerusalem cable car transportation project over what the firm called “political” concerns.

According to a report in the French daily newspaper Le Figaro, the move by SAFEGE came after a meeting with France’s foreign and economic ministries. The firm said that its decision was made “to avoid any political interpretation,” said a representative of Suez Environment, SAFEGE’s parent company.

Saeb Erekat, the Palestinian Authority’s chief negotiator, had contacted French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius to complain about the project, which includes a cable car in eastern Jerusalem.

“The plan will lead to the illegal expropriation of private property, some of which belongs to the Waqf (Islamic religious endowment),” Erekat wrote to Fabius, Le Figaro reported.

In addition to pressure from the Palestinians, the $31.7 million cable car project has also been met with strong opposition from environmental and religious groups in Jerusalem. Project planners hope that the cable car will reduce traffic congestion in Jerusalem by easing transportation through the Israeli capital, including to holy sites in the Old City and the Mount of Olives.

Palestinian Sour Grapes at Israeli Re-election of Netanyahu Government

Wednesday, March 18th, 2015

Palestinian Authority leaders bitterly issued a statement that smacked of sour grapes Wednesday, denouncing Israeli voters for choosing to re-elect Likud leader Binyamin Netanyahu as prime minister on Tuesday.

Senior official Yasser Abed Rabbo, speaking for the PA’s parent organization, the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), said, “Israel chose the path of racism, occupation and settlement building, and did not choose the path of negotiations and partnership between us.”

Entirely forgotten were the 10 months in which hundreds of thousands of Israelis could not repair even a balcony if they lived in Judea, Samaria or areas of Jerusalem desired by the PA, due to a construction freeze imposed by Netanyahu in deference to a PA precondition for talks.

Nabil Abu Rudeineh, spokesperson for PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas, told the Ma’an news agency the PA is not concerned with who forms the new government, but rather with whether that government recognizes the PA’s right to an independent sovereign state – with part of Jerusalem serving as its capital.

Rudeineh said the PA would continue to work with any Israeli government that recognizes “legitimate international resolutions” but said if Israel is not committed to a two-state solution, there would be no chance to resume the peace process.

Former chief PA negotiator Saeb Erekat said in a statement that the Likud victory reflected “the success of a campaign based on settlements, racism, apartheid and the denial of the fundamental rights of the Palestinian people.”

However, a Gulf Arab official who declined to be named told Reuters that Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu actually owed his victory at the polls to Israeli concerns over security, particularly with regard to worries about Iran.

“With Iran emerging again, it was highly expected that Netanyahu would win,” the official said. “He’s a man who believes strongly in protecting his people, and this is what Israel wants now.”

Iran, however, believes there is “no difference” between Israel’s political parties. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Marizeh Afkham was quoted by the Mehr news agency Wednesday in Tehran as saying, “For us there is no difference between the Zionist regime’s political parties. They are all aggressors in nature.”

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry declined to comment on the results of the election when asked by reporters during a break in talks with Iran in Lausanne, Switzerland. State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said Tuesday night, however, the U.S. was “looking forward to working with the next Israeli government.”

Late Tuesday night White House press secretary Josh Earnest also said that President Barack Obama was “confident that strong U.S.-Israeli ties will endure far beyond the Israeli elections regardless of the victor.”

Palestinian Authority Going to force Advance Goal of ‘State of Palestine’

Wednesday, December 17th, 2014

The Palestinian Authority is planning to go ahead and press its case for getting closer to statehood Wednesday at the United Nations Security Council. Jordan, a rotating member, will be the formal conduit for the presentation of the PA proposal at the session of the UNSC.

This, despite the fact that the PA itself is not united — even under its own “unity government.”

The Ramallah-based PA government is led by Mahmoud Abbas, who also heads the government’s leading Fatah faction.

But Gaza is ruled by the Hamas terrorist organization, and Abbas still is unable to even enter that region, with or without bodyguards.

Nevertheless, the draft resolution calls sets November 2016 as the deadline for Israel to withdraw to the 1949 Armistice Lines, the border is also known to Arab nations as the “1967 line” where occupying Arab nations lost their grip on Judea, Samaria, much of Jerusalem, Gaza and the Golan Heights during the 1967 Six-Day War.

The United States has always been the most reliable of the five permanent members of the Council to whom Israel could turn for protection and support – but apparently not anymore.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters Tuesday that America had made “no determinations” as to how it would vote on any possible resolution presented Wednesday.

Kerry met with Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Monday in Rome to discuss the upcoming vote, then followed that up with talks in Paris with his counterparts from Britain, Germany and France. He later met in London with PA chief negotiator Saeb Erekat and Arab League representatives, cautioning them, too, that the U.S. had yet to make a final decision about its stance.

Former Israeli chief negotiator Tzipi Livni, meanwhile, told Kerry in a telephone conversation Tuesday evening the proposal “is also bad for the Israeli sides who want a fair and permanent status agreement” with the PA.

Last week Livni announced a merger with Labor party leader Isaac Herzog for Israel’s upcoming national elections.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/state-of-palestine-proposal-going-to-un-security-council/2014/12/17/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: