web analytics
February 10, 2016 / 1 Adar I, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Shabak’

Shabak Foiled Hamas Plan to Kidnap, Murder Israelis, Bargain over Bodies

Thursday, January 7th, 2016

A Hamas terrorist cell in the advanced stages of planning a major attack has been taken out in a joint operation by the Israel Police and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency, or Shabak).

The cell was discovered last month; its six members were residents of Jerusalem and Hebron. The terrorists planned to kidnap and murder Israeli citizens in an attack similar to that carried out in June 2014 against three yeshiva teens in Gush Etzion. The cell was in the advanced stages of planning, according to the Shin Bet, and had reached the point where cell members had begun to prepare a place to store the bodies of abduction victims.

The Shin Bet investigation revealed the cell was comprised of three Israeli residents who lived in Jerusalem, and three members who lived in the Palestinian Authority-controlled section of Hebron.

All six members of the cell have been taken into custody.

The Shabak investigation discovered that over the past few months the six cell members had been looking at caves and digging up several plots where they planned to hide the dead body of their kidnapped victim. They were going to use two vehicles, with the Israeli member of the cell driving the kidnapping vehicle, since his Hebrew is good enough to allay suspicion. They planned to murder their victim and bury the body, then negotiate for released prisoners in exchange for it.

Mehar Kawasma, 36, a resident of Hebron, was the leader of the cell. He had served two years in Israeli prison for a previous involvement in planning Hamas terror activities.

After the Israeli members of the cell had been arrested, Kawasma started to produce explosives with the remaining members, in the hope of carrying out a mega-attack in a civilian center. They purchased fertilizer and tried to make explosives but did not succeed.

Another Administrative Detainee Released After 5 Months

Sunday, January 3rd, 2016

A right-wing activist, Mordechai Meier (18), was released from administrative detention and isolation, after sitting in jail for 5 months – for nothing, according to his lawyers.

Meier was placed in administrative detention in August under orders from Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon, according to a TPS report.

A short time ago his lawyers were informed he was being released, as apparently the boy had no connection to any price tag attacks, as he had claimed all along.

According to the Honenu legal organization, the courts ordered him kept in jail without trial based on faulty information supplied by the Shabak.

Honenu lawyer Itzsik Bam is calling for a complete review of the administrative detention orders which led to his being held in jail for 5 months on no basis and based on faulty information that was presented to Yaalon and the courts.

Increased Security Ordered for Education Minister Naftali Bennett

Sunday, December 27th, 2015

Upgraded security has been ordered for Education Minister Naftali Bennett, chairman of the Bayit Yehudi party, and around his home in Ra’anana, Channel 2 television news reported.

The decision comes following threats received by Bennett after his public support for the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet/Shabak).

Bennett openly expressed support for interrogiation by Shin Bet security of Jewish suspects in the arson murder case involving the death of a mother, father and toddler in the Arab village of Duma this summer.

The minister also publicly condemned “Jewish terror,” which he bluntly said was aimed at toppling the Israeli government and the State of Israel.

Bennett said the threat posed by such extremists is as dangerous to the security of the state as any threat by Arab terrorists and should be treated as such.

Three Cops Visit, Warn Man Who Protested Duma Detainees’ Incarceration on Facebook

Wednesday, December 23rd, 2015

(JNi.media) The protest over the torture of detainees in the Duma village arson case is probably getting to the security forces, who on Tuesday sent three officers to visit the director of the Gush Katif Museum in Jerusalem, Shlomo Bashan. Bashan is married to musician / journalist Karni Eldad, daughter of former MK Aryeh Eldad and granddaughter of the late philosopher and Likud leader Israel Eldad (whose 20th yahrzeit is coming up January 2016). The three cops came down to Bashan’s home in Tekoa, Gush Etzion, to warn him about his recent post on Facebook:

“I will not let this story go under my radar,” Bashan wrote last week. “This coming Saturday (if the boys are not released by then) I will go to Petakh Tikva, to the Shabak facility’s interrogation cellars where the child is imprisoned… I will stand in front of the Shabak building and will try to break in physically, perhaps even by force, to free that child from the hands of his tormentors. That’s what I would do if it was my child. I assume I would be arrested, but I would be doing my duty. If thousands join me, it could strengthen the struggle, at least the struggle over awareness.”

Bashan’s previous encounter with the Shabak was in 2007, two years after the evacuation of Gush Katif, where he lived. After being removed from Gush Katif, he worked as an armed security guard in Jerusalem and spoke strongly against the Prime Minister. After the evacuation, Bashan’s father suffered two heart attacks, and Bashan was heard to say, according to a report on Channel 10 News, “If my dad had not survive the heart attack I was going to take revenge. I was going to kill everyone who uprooted him.” Bashan suffered serious emotional issues at the time and at some point even left his associates a letter titled “I’m going to die, bye.” He later overcame his anger and published a book of poetry about his experiences. Bashan was interrogated by the Shabak back in 2007 as part of the preparation for the Annapolis conference, when security around Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was tightened, for fear that extremists would try to assassinate him.

Bashan wrote Tuesday night on Facebook: “Today three plainclothes policemen came to my home to warn me about a post I wrote on Facebook. I thanked them respectfully for their contribution, expressed my support for their activities on behalf of the security of Israel and condemned all forms of terrorism, and then warned them in return. You don’t torture children to get them to confess in an interrogation. You don’t come to my house to scare me because I cried out in pain and called for protest. Not in a democratic country.”

Bashan continued: “Knowledgeable sources familiar with the judiciary system believe that I was not the only one who received a warning today. Bennett also received a warning call from the prime minister, and immediately issued a post supporting the Shabak.”

“I guess the torture of the children is about to fade from the media coverage. The Shabak was startled by the protest but did not give in, and very soon one of the kids will confess to some murder, no matter what, and a well publicized indictment will be issued against him. Likud and NRP (the precursor to Bayit Yehudi) have turned their backs on the tortured children, most of whom will be released in the coming days,” Bashan wrote.

13 Arab Terrorist Suspects Arrested, Terrorist Home ‘Mapped Out’

Monday, December 21st, 2015

Israeli security forces arrested 13 Arab terrorist suspects late Sunday night and into the wee hours of Monday morning.

IDF soldiers captured the fugitives in joint operations with Border Guard Police officers in various places throughout Judea and Samaria.

Israeli engineers and IDF Nahal Battalion soldiers also mapped out the Silwad home of terrorist Mohammed Abdul Rahman Ahmad Ayad, near Ramallah. The operation was carried out together with the Civil Administration in advance of plans to demolish Ayad’s home following the vehicular terror attack he carried out three weeks ago.

In another operation, elite fighters in the IDF ‘Duvdevan’ unit joined the Israel Security Agency (Shabak / Shin Bet) and IDF’s Etzion Regional Brigade. The group entered the Judean Arab community of Deheishe to hunt down terrorists from the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), accused of leading riots and attacks at Rachel’s Tomb. Those taken into custody were transferred to security personnel for interrogation.

Other fugitives among those arrested during the night are accused members of the Gaza-based Hamas terrorist organization.

Thousands Blocking Entrance to Capital Protesting Shabak Torture of Jewish Youths

Sunday, December 20th, 2015

Thousands are demonstrating near the Chords Bridge at the entrance to Jerusalem, in protest of the unwarranted incognito incarceration and torture of Jewish youths and minors by the Shabak. The protesters are blocking the entrance to the city.

Police arrested six demonstrators and a policeman attacked Makor Rishon news photographer Miri Tzahi, pushing her camera into her face. She was taken to Terem medical center. Her face was covered in blood, according to a TPS report.

A protest against Shabak torture in Jerusalem on Dec. 20, 2015. Photo credit: Moshe Atlo /TPS

A protest against Shabak torture in Jerusalem on Dec. 20, 2015. Photo credit: Moshe Atlo /TPS

An account that made it to Facebook on Sunday revealed that one of the minors being allegedly tortured by the Shabak tried to commit suicide by slashing his wrists. The same minor has reportedly begged the remanding judge throughout his time in Shabak’s hands: “They’re turning my arms into a bow and they hold me upside down until my hands start to burn. Each day it gets worse. Give me poison. I can’t take it any more.”

The minor showed the marks of his suicide attempt to the court on Sunday. He was examined by the district psychiatrist who determined that the minor is under emotional pressure as a result of his interrogation. It was also revealed to the court that the same minor was given pills by the prison doctor because he couldn’t fall asleep as a result of the interrogations and the torture.

The minor told the judge: “I am ready to confess to everything, but I can’t explain how. Just leave me alone, damn it.”

The boy requested medical treatment for his back for the stretching and torture he endured. He burst into tears and said, “I can’t take it any more.”

Attorney Adi Keidar from the legal aid society Honenu who represents this minor said in a statement, “Today we presented to the court the hands of the minor where it can be seen clearly that a suicide attempt had been committed, all of it as a result of the torture he is undergoing in the Shabak interrogations.”

“By the end of the day we have been exposed to the continuation of the terrible saga in which we saw clearly today that everything the suspect has been telling us he already told before the court while being prevented from seeing us. He described all those shocking things and no one responded. This is a shocking event that must worry us, the fact that the court system link arms with the prosecution, the police and Shabak.”

The Honenu organization said in a statement on Sunday: The things that were revealed in this case are shocking and terrifying. The responsible elements have crossed all the lines and decided to spill the blood of Jewish children, plain and simple. This is a spiritual eclipse experienced by the State of Israel.”

The Shabak released a statement saying the report was made up and baseless.

Knesset Committee Asking State Comptroller to Review Administrative Detention

Wednesday, December 16th, 2015

(JNi.media) Showing that some Israeli legislators can still recognize irony, as part of International Human Rights Day the Knesset’s State Control Committee debated on Tuesday the issue of Administrative Detentions. According to a Knesset Research and Information Center study, conducted at the request of MK Basel Ghattas (Joint Arab List), as of November 1, 2015, four Jews and 398 non-Jews were being held in Administrative Detention. A large percentage of the detainees are ages 18-30, and 34% of them have been held between six months and a year.

The issue of remand without charges has come up in recent weeks, following the incognito incarceration for as long as three weeks at this point, of at least three suspects of “Jewish Terrorism.” Interest in their detention has been mounting in the Israeli public, mostly on the right but as of Tuesday on the left as well, as the NGO B’Tselem, which most often takes up the plight of Arab security prisoners, has condemned the treatment of the Jewish suspects.

In defending its use of Administrative Detention, Israel declares itself a de facto occupier in Judea and Samaria, referring its use of Administrative Detention to Article 78 of the Fourth Geneva Convention 1949, which states that “If the Occupying Power considers it necessary, for imperative reasons of security, to take safety measures concerning protected persons, it may, at the most, subject them to assigned residence or to internment.”

The legal basis for Israel’s use of Administrative Detention is the British Mandate 1945 Defense (Emergency) Regulations which were amended in 1979 to form the Israeli Law on Authority in States of Emergency. Administrative detention is often used for indefinite detention of Arabs members of terrorist organizations who are more often than not suspected of being involved in advocating and planning terrorist acts, rather than executing them. Administrative detention is also used in cases where the available evidence consists of information obtained by the security services (particularly the Shabak), and where a trial would reveal sensitive security information, such as the identities of informers or infiltrators.

Within Israel, the Defense Minister has the authority to issue Administrative Detention orders for up to 6 months in cases where there is a reasonable chance that the person harms the security of the state. The same Minister has the authority to renew such orders. Likewise, the IDF Chief of Staff can issue such orders, but valid for only 48 hours. Law enforcement authorities have to show cause within 48 hours (in a hearing behind closed doors). Administrative Detention orders can be appealed to the District Court and, if denied there, to the Supreme Court. The supervisory authority on the application of Administrative Detention rests with the Justice Minister.

In Judea and Samaria, any Israeli district army commander can issue an Administrative Detention order, and the order can be appealed at the Israeli district military court, or, if denied there, at the Supreme Court. The Administrative Detention order is valid for at most six months, but can be renewed by the appropriate authority.

In the Knesset’s State Control Committee debate, Meretz chairwoman MK Zehava Galon said ”I claim that what the Justice Ministry calls preventive arrest has become a system of punishment, mainly towards Palestinians in the territories. I oppose the administrative detention of Jews or Arabs. This is a revolting method that has no place in a civilized country. As a country that deals with terror, we are in a difficult position. While [the system] has received the approval of the High Court of Justice, I suggest that the state comptroller examine the sweeping, disproportionate use of administrative detention as a method of punishment. The use of Administrative Detentions should be annulled, and if the security agencies have any information regarding a possible terror-related event, they should arrest the [suspects].”

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/knesset-committee-asking-state-comptroller-to-review-administrative-detention/2015/12/16/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: