web analytics
May 29, 2016 / 21 Iyar, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Shin Bet’

Twin Sisters’ Terror Cell Uncovered Near Tulkarem

Monday, January 25th, 2016

Israeli security personnel have once again managed to prevent Arab terrorists from wreaking havoc, mayhem and untold tragedy upon the People of Israel.

Twin sisters from the Arab village of Shuweika, near Tulkarem were arrested in a joint sting operation last month by the IDF and the Shin Bet for plotting a terror attack against Israelis.

It’s the third terrorist cell to be caught in the Tulkarem area in recent weeks.

The forces confiscated homemade explosive materials in the home of the two sisters, 18-year-old Diana and Nadia Huwila, according to the IDF.

Hidden in the home was a fully assembled bomb complete with a detonator, the IDF said in a release cleared for publication.

Also uncovered in a search of the premises was bomb-making equipment, including a knife, fertilizer and other weaponry, as well as Hamas propaganda.

Questioning by the Shin Bet revealed that Diana had purchased the bomb components and used instructions obtained on the Internet to assemble them into an explosive device for use against Israeli targets. She had spent hours watching extremist Islamist videos online, which had contributed towards her radicalization. Nadia aided and abetted her sister, hiding the evidence in the home the two shared.

Over the past several days, the two sisters faced indictments on charges in Samaria Military Court. Diana has been charged with a number of illegal weapons offenses and producing an explosive device. Nadia faces only the illegal weapons charges.

“This investigation emphasizes once more the continued motivation to carry out terror attacks, even among those who are not [directly] linked to terrorist organizations, and among them, women,” the Shin Bet said in a statement.

 

Hana Levi Julian

Palestinian Authority Intelligence Member Arrested by Shin Bet

Sunday, January 24th, 2016

Israeli security forces have arrested a three-member Arab terrorist cell in Samaria that included an employee of the Palestinian Authority intelligence service.

An elite military unit joined forces with the Shin Bet to capture two terrorists who attacked IDF soldiers four days ago.

One IDF soldier was wounded in a shootout that ensued in Samaria when his unit came under fire during an early-morning raid near Tulkarem, in the village of Din’aba.

The two Arab terrorists who were involved in the shootout managed to escape. The PA intelligence member later aided the pair with their escape and hiding the weapon, according to the Shin Bet.

Under questioning, “The operatives confessed to plotting and carrying out the shooting, and surrendered the weapon used in the attack,” the IDF said in a statement.

Ala’a Barqawi, 32, is an employee of the Palestinian Authority intelligence agency. According to the Shin Bet, he aided the other two detainees after they attacked the IDF unit, and hid the weapon they used in the shootout.

Amar Anbess, 27, has already served prison time in 2008 for terrorist activity. He and Samir a-Haq, 30, opened fire at the IDF soldiers who were operating in their village on January 20.

All three of the terrorists are residents of Din’aba. They were arraigned Sunday in military court.

Hana Levi Julian

Israeli Arab Woman Was Not a Terrorist, Is Released by Police

Tuesday, January 12th, 2016

An Israeli Arab woman detained on suspicion of being a terrorist was found not to be a terrorist, and was released by Israel Police Tuesday morning.

Police said in a statement, “Security officials have determined that the suspect did not in fact intend to carry out a terrorist or criminal attack. The woman was released after interrogation,” the statement added.

The 28-year-old Tayibe resident was suspected of planning an attack in the northern town of Nahariya. A terror alert was issued in the city Monday evening, similar to one issued in Israel’s southern Lachish region about an hour earlier.

The woman was detained late Monday by security forces while riding in a taxi in Nahariya. She was searched by sappers to make sure she was not wearing explosives or carrying them anywhere on her person or among her belongings.

Security personnel had received a tip Monday morning that an Arab woman from Gaza was about to carry out an “imminent” cross-border attack. Because she had not yet been tracked down, police in southern Israel had set up roadblocks and carried out searches, eventually tracking down a different suspect altogether.

The alert in Nahariya was later removed.

Hana Levi Julian

Palestinian Authority Arrests Ma’an News Reporter for ‘Slander’

Monday, January 11th, 2016

The Palestinian Authority arrested a journalist from the Ma’an News Agency on Sunday, on charges of “slander, inaccurate reporting, reporting facts that run counter to national responsibility, violating journalistic ethics, and harming national unity.”

In short, the Ramallah-based PA government practically threw the book at Ma’an television network journalist Salim Sweidan.

The hysterical frenzy came in response to Sweidan’s report that the PA collaborated with Israel on the arrest of the suspected murderer of Rabbi Eitam and Na’ama Henkin last October 1 in Samaria.

According to the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet/Shabak), the Hamas terrorist organization was behind the cold-blooded killing. The murder took place before the eyes of the couple’s four young children, who were in the back seat of their vehicle at the time. The Henkins were shot to death in their car while driving near the Jewish town of Itamar.

The Ma’an network reported that PA officials were involved in the subsequent arrest of the Hamas operatives who carried out the attack.

Five suspected members of the terror cell involved in the attack were arrested in a joint operation by the IDF, Israel Police and the Shin Bet within 24 hours of the murder.

To their credit, Ma’an journalists condemned the arrest, and commented that Sweidan was not the source of the reported information. The news agency issued a statement saying, “The Palestinian security services should have denied the report instead of arresting journalists.” Ma’an has called on international and human rights groups to intervene to bring about Sweidan’s release.

The journalist reportedly suffers from high blood pressure and is in poor health.

Hana Levi Julian

Father, Brother of Tel Aviv Shooter Released from Custody

Sunday, January 10th, 2016

Mohammed Melhem, the father of Tel Aviv shooter Nashet Melhem, has been freed from custody along with his son Ali.

The two men were released to house arrest on $1,270 bond in an agreement between the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet/Shabak) and attorney Nechami Feinblatt, a public defender who represents the family.

“I think the Shin Bet understands that the family wanted to help capture him and not help him,” the attorney said.

Both were held in custody along with six other relatives and friends last week while the killer was at large. They were arrested on charges of being accessories to murder, illegal association and conspiracy to commit a crime and premeditated manslaughter.

Melhem murdered three people in Tel Aviv on Jan. 1 using a weapon he stole from his father, a volunteer police officer. It was the elder Melhem who identified his son to police as the killer after seeing a video of the murders on television.

When he still was not captured within three days, the elder Melhem was taken into custody along with other relatives and friends. It later turned out that numerous family members did indeed know Nashet was back in the village; but they were reluctant to turn in one of their own. The subsequent pressure by Shin Bet operatives, leveraged via arrests and questioning, plus the gathering of DNA and other hard evidence, proved essential in ending the saga.

Nashet Melhem will be buried in his home village of Ar’ara in Wadi Ara in a small private ceremony on Sunday afternoon. The family is doing whatever it can to put this behind them, a relative said.

Hana Levi Julian

Shabak Foiled Hamas Plan to Kidnap, Murder Israelis, Bargain over Bodies

Thursday, January 7th, 2016

A Hamas terrorist cell in the advanced stages of planning a major attack has been taken out in a joint operation by the Israel Police and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency, or Shabak).

The cell was discovered last month; its six members were residents of Jerusalem and Hebron. The terrorists planned to kidnap and murder Israeli citizens in an attack similar to that carried out in June 2014 against three yeshiva teens in Gush Etzion. The cell was in the advanced stages of planning, according to the Shin Bet, and had reached the point where cell members had begun to prepare a place to store the bodies of abduction victims.

The Shin Bet investigation revealed the cell was comprised of three Israeli residents who lived in Jerusalem, and three members who lived in the Palestinian Authority-controlled section of Hebron.

All six members of the cell have been taken into custody.

The Shabak investigation discovered that over the past few months the six cell members had been looking at caves and digging up several plots where they planned to hide the dead body of their kidnapped victim. They were going to use two vehicles, with the Israeli member of the cell driving the kidnapping vehicle, since his Hebrew is good enough to allay suspicion. They planned to murder their victim and bury the body, then negotiate for released prisoners in exchange for it.

Mehar Kawasma, 36, a resident of Hebron, was the leader of the cell. He had served two years in Israeli prison for a previous involvement in planning Hamas terror activities.

After the Israeli members of the cell had been arrested, Kawasma started to produce explosives with the remaining members, in the hope of carrying out a mega-attack in a civilian center. They purchased fertilizer and tried to make explosives but did not succeed.

Jewish Press Staff

Increased Security Ordered for Education Minister Naftali Bennett

Sunday, December 27th, 2015

Upgraded security has been ordered for Education Minister Naftali Bennett, chairman of the Bayit Yehudi party, and around his home in Ra’anana, Channel 2 television news reported.

The decision comes following threats received by Bennett after his public support for the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet/Shabak).

Bennett openly expressed support for interrogiation by Shin Bet security of Jewish suspects in the arson murder case involving the death of a mother, father and toddler in the Arab village of Duma this summer.

The minister also publicly condemned “Jewish terror,” which he bluntly said was aimed at toppling the Israeli government and the State of Israel.

Bennett said the threat posed by such extremists is as dangerous to the security of the state as any threat by Arab terrorists and should be treated as such.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/increased-security-ordered-for-education-minister-naftali-bennett/2015/12/27/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: