web analytics
September 27, 2016 / 24 Elul, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘speaker’

Police Order MK Yehuda Glick to Ride Armored Car

Monday, August 1st, 2016

Mk Yehuda Glick (Likud), who lives in the community of Otniel in Judea and Samaria, enjoys a Knesset security detail and drives an armored car, in accordance with police directives, Knesset Officer Joseph Griff revealed in a meeting of the Committee on the Knesset Budget. The committee approved budgeting $530 thousand for purchasing armored vehicles for MKs. Added to an already existing $530 thousand in the budget to the same end, the replacement of both vehicles will cost $1.05 million, The Marker reported Monday.

The committee has settled on buying two Toyota Land Cruisers, to serve MKs driving in Judea and Samaria. The overall security budget for individual MKs comes to roughly $2 million.

The armored vehicles that are being replaced, according to Griff, are older cars, from 2006 and 2008, which spend too much time in the shop waiting for parts. The current fleet of armored cars is not big enough to accommodate every MK whose assigned vehicles are being repaired.

Griff added that the armored vehicles assigned to Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein and to Opposition Leader Isaac Herzog are also problematic. Most of the problems, Griff said, have to do with the heavy armor.

The Knesset paid its employees an additional half million dollars for overtime in 2016, because so many plenum sessions stretched into the wee hours. In this context, Zionist Camp whip MK Merav Michaeli protested the government’s decision to submit 15 new bills for first hearings this week, taking advantage of the fact that the summer vacation is around the corner. Michaeli announced that her faction retains its democratic right to filibuster, even at the expense of MKs’ summer fun.

And just in case you were wondering where all this extra money came from, Knesset accountant Haim Avidor said the money will come from a special budget reserve kept for just these kinds of miscellaneous items.

David Israel

Speaker Edelstein Calls on AG to Conclude Police ‘Blackmail List’ Investigation

Thursday, July 7th, 2016

Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein on Wednesday demanded that Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit conclude his examination of a secret Israel Police dossier which reportedly details evidence regarding alleged offenses committed by Knesset members.

In his letter to the Attorney General, Edelstein said, “On June 22, 2016 a meeting was held in my office with the Police Commissioner and the head of the Police Investigations and Intelligence Department regarding the police document that was prepared in 2014 and which summarizes criminal and intelligence information on Knesset members who served at the time. During the meeting I noted the sensitivity (of the matter) and the problematic situation that was created due to the fact that the existence of such a document had been leaked, because it allegedly casts a cloud over all Knesset members, and creates a feeling in the public as if dozens of Knesset members are suspected of criminal acts.”

“I also stressed the importance of publishing an official clarification as soon as possible, to the public and the Knesset members, regarding the list from 2014 and its relevancy, as much as it remains relevant today, so that on the one hand the public will be able to rest assured that Israel Police is doing its job faithfully and is investigating Knesset members when necessary, while on the other hand Knesset members will be certain that police are not holding information against them which could be revealed at some point down the line and hurt their work or chances of obtaining a certain position,” the letter reads.

“In response to my comments, the police commissioner said they were aware of the sensitivity (of the matter) and the harm caused to Knesset members and the Knesset by the reports, and that the list had been submitted for your examination so that an official clarification regarding this list could be released soon,” Speaker Edelstein told Mandelblit.

Edelstein stressed the urgency of concluding the examination and releasing the clarification “in order to minimize the damage caused by the continued reports about the list and by leaving them in the public and media environment without a clarification or official statement from the authorized elements.”

Meanwhile, Police Commissioner Roni Alsheikh appeared before the Knesset’s Internal Affairs Committee on Wednesday and justified the document. “It was drafted so that it wouldn’t turn out later that there was something we should have reported to the State Prosecutor and Attorney General and for some reason it got stuck and did not surface [to be reviewed by] a person with authority.”

Israel’s Channel 10 News revealed last month the existence of a document nicknamed “The Yitzhaki Report” that was compiled under order of the head of the police investigations unit Maj. Gen. Meni (Menachem) Yitzhaki.

During the Knesset committee meeting, Yitzhaki told the Internal Affairs Committee that the document was written in order to comply with the attorney general`s guidelines.

Committee Chairman MK David Amsalem (Likud) said: “The head of Investigations and Intelligence Branch has power by virtue of his position. Power corrupts, and great power corrupts more. Therefore, he must act with caution.”

“I read that 80 percent of police officers use internal information for their own personal needs. It is obvious that there is information being used by people who do not have the authority to do so,” MK Amsalem added. “Something terrible is happening here. Is the information only on Knesset members? Perhaps there is information about the commissioner? Maybe there are summaries on major generals in the police force? Or on judges and journalists? I don’t think Yitzhaki acted maliciously, but there is always potential for wrongful use.”

JNi.Media

Speaker Edelstein Asking Police Chief Alsheikh for Clarifications on ‘MKs List’

Thursday, June 23rd, 2016

Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein on Wednesday met in his office with Police Commissioner Roni Alsheikh to request clarifications on a recently leaked secret police document known as the “MKs List,” a.k.a. “The Yitzhaki Report,” detailing evidence on alleged offenses committed by dozens of Knesset members, including seven sitting ministers, which police allegedly keep on a shelf for an opportune time.

Knesset Legal Adviser Eyal Yinon and the head of the police Investigations and Intelligence Branch, Meni Yitzhaki, were also present at the meeting.

On Sunday, Channel 10 revealed the existence of “The Yitzhaki Report” that had allegedly been compiled by order of Yitzhaki and reportedly completed in 2014. According to Channel 10, it contains all investigative information collected by police on the 120 members of the previous Knesset, including information on suspected crimes and corruption.

Alsheikh informed Edelstein that police are forbidden to initiate investigations on public officials without first receiving instructions to do so by the Attorney General or the state attorney. The document, he said, was for internal use to ensure that nothing fell through the cracks during investigations of Knesset members, and that all relevant information was passed on to the Attorney General. Alsheikh said police would investigate who leaked the existence of the document.

Speaker Edelstein accepted the police chief’s explanation, but said that the leaked document casts a cloud over all MKs and creates the public perception that dozens of MKs are suspected of criminal offenses. The Knesset Speaker stressed the importance of releasing — as soon as possible — an official clarification regarding the document and its relevancy, if it has indeed remained relevant.

Such a clarification, Edelstein said, would show the public that Israel Police is doing its job faithfully and is investigating MKs when necessary, and it would also indicate to the lawmakers that they can be certain that police are not holding information against them which could be revealed at some point down the line and hurt their work or chances of obtaining a certain position.

JNi.Media

Hezbollah Backs Away from Blaming Israel For Death of Senior Commander

Sunday, May 15th, 2016

The Hezbollah terrorist organization has backed away from blaming Israel for the assassination last week of its senior commander — possibly its Number Two — Mustafa Badreddine in Damascus.

His death was announced Friday on the group’s Al Manar channel by Hezbollah, although it is believed he may have been killed as early as last Tuesday. It is not clear who killed Badreddine.

Hezbollah said in an announcement Saturday on Al Manar the explosion “which targeted one of our positions near the Damascus International Airport and led to the martyrdom of Sayyed Zulfikar, the marty leader’s nom de guerre, was caused by an artillery bombardment carried out by Takfiri groups stationed in the region. The group had said in a statement early Friday that a huge blast hit one of the “resistance centers” near Damascus airport.

Badreddine — also known as Badr A-Din — had replaced his brother-in-law Imad Mughniyeh (Moughniyah), who was killed in Damascus in 2008 by a car bomb, for which the Mossad was blamed. Badreddine, 55, was in charge of all Hezbollah military operations inside Syria, and before that was involved in planning attacks against Israel. He was also blamed by the United Nations for the murder of Lebanon’s former prime minister, Rafik al-Hariri, in 2005.

““The outcome of the investigation will only increase our determination and will to continue the fight against these criminal gangs and deal them a mighty blow so that we fulfil the martyr’s wishes and advices to his Mujahideen brothers,” the statement by Nasrallah continued.

“In all cases, it is a single battle against the American-Zionist project in the region, which terrorist Takfiris represent its spearhead thus practicing its aggression over the Ummah (nation) and its resistance, Mujahideen, sanctuaries and its free, honest peoples.”

Iran has been taking great pains to console its proxy terror group Hezbollah over the loss of its senior commander.

Likewise, Hezbollah is working hard to minimize attention to the forces behind the assassination. Despite the initial hue and cry that pointed the finger of blame at Israel, the follow up in Hezbollah-linked media clearly toned down the speculation and accusations.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif sent a message of condolence Friday to Nasrallah over the assassination. In the message, he wrote that Badreddine’s martyrdom would “further strengthen resistance forces against the Zionist enemy and terrorism.”

The Speaker of Iran’s Majlis (parliament), Ali Larijani, also sent condolences, saying Badreddine’s martyrdom would “further inspire resistance against the Zionist regime.” Larijani added in his message to Nasrallah that it would “strengthen the will of the Jihadi forces against the Zionist regime.”

The head of Lebanon’s ‘Free Patriotic Movement,’ General Michel Aoun also phoned Nasrallah with condolences over the loss of his senior commander.

Hana Levi Julian

Knesset Speaker Edelstein’s ‘Controversial’ Visit to Address British Parliament

Tuesday, March 1st, 2016

Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein is set to visit the British Parliament in London on Wednesday at the invitation of his counterpart, John Bercow, Speaker of the House of Commons.

Edelstein will address a joint session of peers and Members of Parliament in the first-ever official visit by an Israeli Knesset Speaker. He will also meet with Prime Minister David Cameron.

However.

The visit has already raised a ruckus among British opponents to Israel and those in the Palestinian Authority as well, because Edelstein lives in part of an area that British leaders claim is “occupied” by Israel.

Edelstein maintains, “It’s a disputed territory. We didn’t take it from any other country. They claim it’s theirs, we claim it’s ours,” he told media at a briefing in Israel.

He told media he hopes to develop closer bonds between the Israeli and British parliaments.

“Governments come and go but parliaments stay,” he told The Telegraph. “If you’re smart enough to base the relationship bipartisan then it doesn’t matter who is in power.”

Hana Levi Julian

Paul Ryan Set to be Next Speaker of the House

Thursday, October 22nd, 2015

It now appears that Wisconsin Rep. Paul D. Ryan (R) will become the next Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives after a supermajority of members of the hardline conservative House Freedom Caucus voted for Ryan in a session Wednesday evening, Oct. 21.

Shortly after current Speaker John A. Boehner (R-OH) announced last month that he would not seek to retain his position, attention began to focus on Ryan, the former vice-presidential candidate.

Ryan, 45, is known as a strong fiscal policy expert. He is currently chair of the House Ways and Means Committee and former chair of the House Budget Committee.

Until this week Ryan had shied away from seeking the Speaker position, insisting that he already had his dream job of chairing the Ways and Means Committee. Many understood his reluctance as a recognition that the very conservative element in the Republican party did not feel that Ryan was a member of their fold.

On Tuesday, Ryan said he might accept the speakership position if the party united behind him and if it accepted several conditions, one of which was to remove the procedure known as “vacate the chair” which is essentially a no-confidence vote, with teeth, that takes place within two days of the motion being initiated.

While members of the House Freedom Caucus had balked at some of Ryan’s conditions, by Wednesday evening enough had become convinced that Ryan was the right person to assume the role of Speaker.

It is expected that Ryan will be selected as the Republican choice for Speaker of the House by next Wednesday, and a floor vote confirming his position should take place the following day.

Lori Lowenthal Marcus

GOP Sen. Marco Rubio Launches Presidential Run

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio of Florida has launched his run for the Republican presidential nomination for 2016, reinforcing the new reality in America: diversity is officially “in.”

The senator made his announcement yesterday (Monday) during a speech in Miami.

Rubio is using his heritage as the son of Cuban immigrants to counter the Democratic female wannabe “champion” of the American dream, former First Lady and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Both follow a successful two-term president who ran on the themes of America’s strength in diversity, “hope” and “change” each time around.

Rubio, age 43, is the youngest candidate in the field thus far and represents the up-and-coming generation of the party. He is presenting himself as the person who can unite all the Republican party factions from one end of the spectrum to the other, and bring to the nation new economic solutions for the 21st century.

Rubio served as a member of the House of Representatives from 2000 to 2008 and rose to the position of Speaker of the House before he was elected as Senator in 2010. He is seen as a moderate in the party and serves on the Senate Foreign Relations and Intelligence Committees.

In every way, Marco Rubio stands in complete contrast to Hillary Clinton, 67, a graduate of Ivy League university and a long-standing member of the elite Establishment.

“A leader from yesterday began a campaign for president by promising to take us back to yesterday. Yesterday is over and we’re never going back,” he told supporters in his debut attack on Clinton.

Ditto with his closest GOP competitor, Jeb Bush, 62, whose brother and father both have already preceded him in the White House.

“I live in an exceptional country where the son of a bartender and a maid can have the same dreams and the same future as those who come from power and privilege,” Rubio said, with a nod towards the venerable political background of his GOP competitor.

But in both comments, Rubio also sounds surprisingly like … Bill Clinton and – yes, sadly – incumbent President Barack Obama.

Neither the talk of “change” nor the “American dream” theme were different from any other presidential rhetoric heard on previous campaign trails. Much of it may also be found in his new book, “American Dreams.”

The good news is that Rubio has already made some of his positions clear, openly slamming Obama’s “dangerous concessions” to Iran and his administration’s “hostility” to Israel. In fact, Rubio was talking about the Iranian issue back in 2013, defining it not as an Israeli problem but as one that faces the entire world. An armed Iran is not something the United States can live with or contain, Rubio said at a news conference with Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu during a visit to Israel that year. “We hope the sanctions work, but we’re also preparing for the possibility that they won’t,” he said.

Israel lives “in a challenging neighborhood,” Rubio commented. He made it clear that America’s commitment to the U.S.-Israel relationship was bipartisan and said “it should remain that way.”

During a meeting with then-President Shimon Peres, Rubio told reporters Jerusalem was “of course the capital of Israel.” He also said that although a two-state solution must be established, it was not clear whether Israel’s security could, in fact, be secured under such an arrangement. The solution, said Rubio, could only be reached in direct talks between the two parties themselves: no third side could force any arrangement. Nor should the United States be dictating any policy about the settlements, Rubio said; this too was an issue for the two sides in direct talks and should not involve any third parties.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/gop-sen-marco-rubio-launches-presidential-run/2015/04/14/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: