web analytics
December 25, 2014 / 3 Tevet, 5775
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘statement’

Rice at UN Security Council: Cessation of Violence Only Through Ceasefire

Tuesday, November 20th, 2012

The UN Security Council session last night of the situation in the Gaza Strip ended at an impasse.

The United States opposed the approval of a statement that has no mention of Hamas rocket fire and Israel’s right to defend itself. U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice said that the cessation of violence must be done through a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, sustainable agreement. She said it’s important that the Council’s initiative promote an agreed cessation of violence.

Canada “Stands With Israel”

Thursday, November 15th, 2012

The Ma’an News Agency reported that Canada’s Foreign Minister John Baird said Wednesday that his country backs Israel’s right to defend its citizens from air assaults by Hamas.

“We fundamentally believe that Israel has the right to defend itself and its citizens from terrorist threats,” Baird said in a statement.

“Far too often, the Jewish people find themselves on the front lines in the struggle against terrorism, the great struggle of our generation. Just last weekend, more than 100 rockets rained down on civilians in southern Israel from positions in the Gaza Strip.

“Canada condemns the terrorist group Hamas and stands with Israel as it deals with regional threats to peace and security.”

Defense Minister Barak: “Spirit of the Civilians is Source of Our Strength in Battle Today”

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012

Defense Minister Ehud Barak made the following statement at a press conference earlier this evening (Wednesday, 14 November 2012), at the Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv:

“A few hours ago, the political echelons ordered the IDF to launch Operation Pillar of Defense in Gaza. The accuracy of the intelligence on behalf of both the Israel Security Agency and our Military Intelligence, as well as the precise action of the IDF, led to the elimination of Hamas’ military leader [Ahmad] Jabari. We also struck most of the long range Fajr missiles, additional Hamas infrastructure, as well as other terror elements.

Israel does not want war. But Hamas’ consistent provocation in recent weeks, in particular the incessant rounds of artillery rockets and mortars into the heart of our southern communities, the tunnel which exploded deep into Israeli territory, the anti-tank missile fired at a jeep – again inside of Israel – forced our hand into acting with both precision and decisiveness.

We must be clear that Israel will not tolerate a situation in which there is incessant [rocket] fire on our citizens. No life-loving country would accept this situation.

The goals of the operation are as follows:

Strengthening our deterrence To inflict serious damage on the rocket launching network To deliver a painful blow for Hamas and the other terrorist organizations To minimize damage to our home front

I would also like to express my deep appreciation for Chief-of-Staff Lt.-Gen. Benny Gantz, Israel Security Agency Director Yoram Cohen, head of the Military Intelligence and his personnel, the IDF, the ‘Iron Dome’ system and its operators, and of course the Air Force. I wish you all continued success throughout the operation. The IDF will receive the full backing to do all that is necessary in order to restore quiet to the south.

There is no ‘quick-fix’ solution. Right now, as we stand here, massive barrages of missiles are being fired at our cities. But we will achieve these aforementioned goals throughout the course of this operation.

During the last few hours, I have spoken with mayors and regional councils throughout the south. I would like to commend them on their resilience and the spirit of the civilians in all the communities in the southern region. It is the source of our strength in this battle that we are waging today.

We are still at the beginning of the event, not at the end, and we expect some complicated tests ahead. It will require vigilance; not only in Gaza, but also in Israel and in Judea and Samaria. But in the long run I believe that this operation will contribute to strengthening deterrence and reinstituting the calm in the south. I call upon the leaders of the region to act with composure, in order to promote stability and restore quiet so that we are not – heaven forbid – dragged into further deterioration.”

Pentagon Defends Operation Pillar of Defense

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012

Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Warren issued a statement on behalf of the United States backing Israel’s decision to conduct targeted attacks against sources of terror against civilians in the south of the country.

“We’re monitoring the situation closely,” Warren said.  “We stand by our Israeli partners in their right to defend themselves against terrorism”.

As Operation Pillar of Defense Heats Up, Britain Suggests Cooling Off

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012

Britain’s Foreign Office issued a statement following the targeted killing of Hamas terror chief Ahmad Jabari:

“We continue to call on all sides to exercise restraint to prevent a dangerous escalation that would be in no-one’s interests.”

National Union: Obama Vote Boosting Israeli Left

Wednesday, November 7th, 2012

The National Union (HaIchud HaLeumi) released the following short statement following President Barack Obama’s reelection: “Obama’s re-election gives a tailwind boost to the Israeli left-wing. The upcoming Israeli elections will be about building a national coalition that will help Netanyahu withstand the pressures put upon him. A Jewish coalition that is strengthened by the new knitted-kipa merger of the National Union and the Bayit HaYehudi parties, versus a weak, left-wing coalition with Lapid and Deri.”

Ha’aretz Journalist to Pay Settlers $50 Thousand for Slander

Monday, November 5th, 2012

Long-time Ha’aretz columnist Neri Livneh has been ordered by a court to pay NIS 200,000 ($50,000) in compensations for slander to two residents of the settlement Itamar.

The complaint was filed last March, by Attorney Doron Nir Tzvi, legal advisor for the Committee of Samaria Residents, following Livneh’s appearance on the Channel 1 TV program “Politics,” where she described Itamar residents’ behavior as “especially aggressive,” adding that “every two years a murderer comes out of there,” Walla reported.

The law suit claimed that Livneh referred to the two plaintiffs as murderers who apparently were products of the settlement.

The court ruled that Livneh must to pay damages for slander after the journalist failed to file a defense statement in time and had not requested an extension to do so.

Last week Livneh, a veteran columnist at Ha’aretz, was called in for a hearing, as part of a wave of cutbacks in the paper.

Members of the Committee of Samaria Residents were pleased with the decision and said that “this verdict is a warning signal to anyone who wants to lash out in an unrestricted and malicious manner against Jewish settlers. The false and irresponsible statement reflects the attitude of many in the media towards the Jews of Judea and Samaria and it’s a good thing that the court took a harsh approach against her.”

Livneh has not yet issued a response.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/haaretz-journalist-to-pay-settlers-50-thousand-for-slander/2012/11/05/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: