web analytics
December 20, 2014 / 28 Kislev, 5775
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Terrorist’

French City Facing Legal Action over Marwan Barghouti Street

Thursday, October 16th, 2014

A watchdog on anti-Semitism vowed legal action against a French municipality that named a street after Palestinian Authority terrorist Marwan Barghouti, serving five sentences of life in prison for involvement in attacks that killed dozens of Israelis.

The National Bureau for Vigilance Against Anti-Semitism, or BNVCA, on Wednesday prepared to ask an administrative court to void the move by Valenton, near Paris, BNVCA founder Sammy Ghozlan told JTA. BNVCA also will complain to police of incitement to commit a crime, he added.

“This celebration of a murderer is unacceptable,” Ghozlan said of the dedication in Venton last month of a street honoring Barghouti, who was sentenced by an Israeli court in 2004 to multiple life sentences for planning dozens of deadly terrorist attacks.

During the Sept. 15 inauguration of Marwan Barghouti Alley, Valenton Mayor Françoise Baud called Barghouti “the face of the unwavering resistance of the Palestinian people against the occupation, the crimes, the destruction, the apartheid and the colonization perpetrated by the Israeli government.”

During the same ceremony, Baud, a member of the French Communist Party, also inaugurated a square honoring Nelson Mandela, a former president of South Africa and an anti-apartheid activist.

“Referring to both men in the same breath is no distinction for Barghouti but a diminution of Mandela’s personality,” Shimon Samuels, the Simon Wiesenthal Center’s director for international relations, told JTA.

Ghozlan added that in light of the increase in anti-Semitic violence in France over Israel’s actions, “this is a signal that encourages more attacks on Jews.”

Barghouti was made an honorary citizen of Valenton five years ago. The municipality intends to sign a twinning agreement with the Balata refugee camp in the West Bank, Baud said in her speech.

 

 

Another Qawasmeh Hamas Member Arrested in Murder of 3 Israeli Teens

Tuesday, September 9th, 2014

Another Hamas suspect has been arrested in connection with the June 12 abduction and murder of three Israeli teens in Gush Etzion. Hebron resident Fares Qawasmeh, a 31-year-old doctor, is accused of being involved in planning the murder.

Qawasmeh was taken into custody by Palestinian Authority security forces, according to a report broadcast Tuesday on Israel’s Channel 10 television news.

The report was later confirmed in a post on the Twitter social networking site by Qatar-based senior Hamas official Hussam Badran. “The only crime Qawasmeh committed was to speak for Hamas at the victory celebrations for Gaza after the fighting against Israel,” Badran tweeted.

A number of local Arab residents aided the Qawasmeh family in carrying out the plot by hiding and sheltering the fugitives. Among them was Wael Qarameh, indicted by Israeli authorities in late August on charges of harboring a fugitive – Hebron resident Hussam Qawasmeh, who was indicted last week on multiple charges for masterminding the abduction and murder.

Qawasmeh, a Hebron resident was arrested on July 11 in a joint Shin Bet – IDF sting operation in the northern Jerusalem neighborhood of Shuafat. He had fled his home with the aid of friends and relatives in hopes of trying to make his way to Jordan on the strength of a false ID. Shuafat is the same Arab neighborhood where massive violence tore apart three Jerusalem Light Rail stations following the murder of a young Arab teen, the day after the bodies of the three Israeli teens were found.

Hussam Qawasmeh confessed under interrogation to having masterminded the plot to kidnap and murder the teens, and to having obtained financing for the operation from Hamas in Gaza. He admitted to having obtained false identity papers and fleeing as soon as the bodies of the three murder victims were unearthed from their hurriedly dug, shallow stony graves in the field he purchased in Halhul, along Highway 60 north of Hebron.

Marwan Qawasmeh – his kinsman – and Amar Abu Aisha, both also residents of Hebron, are suspected of being the ones to having joyfully carried out those plans. The actual gunshots that murdered the boys and the celebrations of their attackers after the murders in the getaway car were heard on a recording made on a police hotline via a call from one of the boys as he desperately sought rescue. The two murderers, meanwhile, remain at large.

Security sources revealed after last week’s indictment that Hussam Qawasmeh received a total of approximately NIS 200,000 ($61,500) from his brother in Gaza, Hamas terrorist Mahmoud Ali to pay for the operation. The costs included two vehicles – the abduction car and the getaway car – as well as four firearms and other expenses. Mahmoud was one of more than 1,000 Arab inmates freed in an October 2011 prisoner swap deal with Israel in exchange for the return of former IDF soldier Gilad Shalit, who was kidnapped by Hamas and allied terrorists in 2006.

Israel Kills Top Hamas Commander Raed Al-Attar

Thursday, August 21st, 2014

Who Was Raed Al-Attar?

Raed al-Attar, 40, was killed early Thursday morning (August 21, 2014) in a joint IDF-Shin Bet operation in Rafah, along with two other senior military commanders from the Izz a-Din al-Qassam wing of Hamas.

Al-Attar was involved in the 2006 abduction of former IDF soldier Gilad Shalit at an Israeli army outpost near the Kerem Shalom crossing. He remained involved in Shalit’s captivity for the next five years, until the soldier was freed in 2011 in exchange for more than 1,000 Arab terrorists held in Israeli prisons.

Al-Attar — who headed a Hamas military unit in Rafah — was also responsible for the recent abduction and suicide bombing murder of IDF Givati Lt. Hadar Goldin during Operation Protective Edge. The terrorist’s Rafah unit killed at least two other soldiers during the attack in which Goldin was abducted, and attacked and wounded a number of other IDF soldiers as well.

An IDF soldier was killed in 1994 attack in which al-Attar was involved; by 2002, he was planning attacks, and an IDF outpost near Kerem Shalom was the target of one of his plots. Four soldiers were killed.

Al-Attar was known most recently for his engineering and supervision of the construction of tunnels that ran from Gaza into Israeli territory. He was an extremely dangerous man, a wily and sophisticated terrorist, and an irreplacable commander in Hamas.

But he is dead.

US Judge Quits Terror Trial in Detroit, Cites Conflict of Interest

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014

A US federal judge has recused himself from the trial of a Palestinian Arab accused in connection with a terror attack in Israel.

District Judge Paul Borman recused himself from the case Tuesday on the grounds that he had just learned his family had shares in the supermarket the defendant helped bomb.

Borman only discovered the name of the supermarket when it was revealed by the defendant’s defense attorney on Monday, which is why he had not recused himself prior to that time, he said.

The defendant in the case is Rasmea Yousef, 67, currently associate director of the Arab American Action Network in Chicago.

Yousef is also known as Rasmieh Odeh, is accused of immigration fraud — lying about her role in the a 1969 terror attack in order to gain acceptance as an immigrant to the United States.

Released by Israel in a prisoner swap years ago, she was convicted on two charges of murder in connection with the bombing at the Jerusalem SuperSol supermarket in February 1969.

Two men were killed and 20 others were wounded in the attack.

Hamas to ‘Continue Until Goals Achieved’

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014

The Hamas terrorist organization made clear Saturday night that its spirit was far from broken and its goal of annihilating the Jewish State remain unchanged.

“We will continue our resistance until our goals are achieved,” spokesman Fawzi Barhum told international media in a news briefing.

[Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin] “Netanyahu wants to falsely claim a victory of his government and his army,” Barhum observed in a response following the prime minister’s news conference after the Sabbath.

On Saturday morning, the Izz a-Din al-Qassam military wing of Hamas issued a separate statement claiming it had lost contact with the cell that abducted 23 year old IDF 2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin of Kfar Saba.

The Givati platoon commander was dragged into a tunnel during an ambush that took place at 9:30 am in the southern Gaza border town of Rafah, about 90 minutes after the start of a humanitarian cease fire forced on Israel by the United States and the United Nations. A suicide bomber detonated himself during the attack, which killed two other IDF soldiers.

Although the statement by the Izz a-Din al-Qassam Brigades added that Hamas had said it was ready for a humanitarian cease fire, and would not fire rockets at Israel, the facts on the ground – and in the air – have proved otherwise.

On Saturday alone, 84 rockets and missiles were fired at Israel, the most recent attack shortly after 10 pm Saturday night. Just a few minutes prior, another Qassam rocket exploded in an agricultural field in the Sdot Negev Regional Council district, setting a farm ablaze and damaging other property.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu reminded journalists at a news briefing Saturday night that one of the goals of Operation Protective Edge, now in its 26th day, was to restore peace to the south “for a long time.” Since rocket fire is continuing, military activity will do so as well.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon added, “We are determined to continue striking Hamas and we will not compromise.”

“After the tunnels are destroyed, Israel will assess what else must be accomplished in accordance with our security needs, and only in accordance with our security needs.”

Alert IDF Eyes Foil New Tunnel Terror Infiltration Attempt

Tuesday, July 29th, 2014

Hundreds of Israelis might have been dead Tuesday night if not for the alert eyes of a unit of Givati soldiers, who spotted a cell of five terrorists emerging from a tunnel shaft, ready to infiltrate and carry out a terror attack in Israel.

The soldiers spotted the terrorists suddenly emerging from a tunnel shaft late Tuesday afternoon. The terrorists, realizing they were identified, fired and the battled was joined, with the IDF soldiers also opening fire. All five operatives in the cell were killed.

During the fire fight, the IDF soldiers discovered the terrorists were loaded with numerous explosive packs, ready to be carried into suicide missions and other terror attacks.

The terrorist tunnels present an unacceptable risk to Israeli communities especially along the Gaza border, and elsewhere in the country as well, government leaders have said.

Terrorists are using the tunnels to infiltrate Israel to kidnap citizens, carry out attacks and import weapons and ammunition. As a result, eliminating the tunnels has become a priority for the IDF in Operation Protective Edge.

An IDF spokesperson also revealed that earlier in the day, an armored unit identified terrorists firing anti-tank missiles; the IDF tanks returned fire and knocked out the source.

No IDF soldiers were injured in either battle.

Hamas Shoots from Civilian House… For the Last Time [video]

Monday, July 21st, 2014

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/hamas-shoots-from-civilian-house-for-the-last-time-video/2014/07/21/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: