web analytics
October 7, 2015 / 24 Tishri, 5776
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘UN Security Council’

Israel Fears Hezbollah Will Grab Iranian 300-Mile Ballistic Rocket

Sunday, August 23rd, 2015

Israeli security sources expressed concern that the new missile revealed by Iran this weekend will come into Hezbollah’s possession, Israel Radio reported.

The sources said the new missile, named Fateh 313, can reach every point in Israel if it gets into the hands of the Lebanese terror organization.

President Hassan Rouhani announced the new Iranian precision-guided missile on Saturday morning, during a ceremony marking the National Daily of Defense Industry. Rouhani uncovered the latest achievement of Iranian experts in devising a precision-guided ballistic missile.

According to IRNA, this makes Iran one of only a handful of countries that possess missiles with a range of 300 miles using compound solid fuel.

The missile is designed and manufactured by Iranian scientists using solely domestic resources. Having passed performance tests successfully, the new missile will be mass produced by Iran’s Defense ministry.

The Israeli security sources added that Iran does not pay attention to any section of the agreement it has signed recently with the world powers. “The agreement is not worth the paper it is signed on,” said one of the sources.

UN Security Council Resolution 2231, which approved the nuclear deal between Iran and the great powers last month, called on Iran not to pursue the development of ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads. Iran claims that none of its missiles were designed for this purpose. The same UN decision also contains a weapons embargo against Iran for the coming eight years, but Iran said it would not comply with this part of the resolution.

During the 2006 Second Lebanon War, Hezbollah fired between 3,970 and 4,228 rockets at Israel, at a rate of more than 100 a day, unprecedented since the Iran-Iraq war.

About 95% of these were 122 mm Katyusha artillery rockets, carrying warheads of up to 66 lbs and had a range of up to 19 miles. An estimated 23% of these rockets hit residential areas across northern Israel.

UN Security Council Passes Resolution on Peace Plan for Syria

Tuesday, August 18th, 2015

The United Nations Security Council passed a resolution on Monday calling for a political solution to end the savage civil war in Syria.

It was the first time in two years the UN Security Council has agreed on any statement regarding Syria, where at least 240,000 people have died since the start of the 4-year-old war.

At least 12 million Syrians have become homeless, the Council noted, expressing “grave alarm that the Syria crisis has become the largest humanitarian emergency crisis in the world today.”

Although the future of President Bashar al-Assad was not specifically mentioned in the statement, it was clear that any “transition” would involve his exit at some point.

Venezuela dissociated itself from parts of the statement due to its strong ties with Syria.

The 16-point peace plan drafted by France was been under discussion since last month, when it was presented to the Council by UN envoy Staffan de Mistura. The statement came a day after Assad government troops attacked a town near Damascus, killing nearly 100 people in one of the most brutal assaults of the war.

The plan calls for a “Syrian-led political process leading to a political transition that meets the legitimate aspirations of the Syrian people.”

It includes “the establishment of an inclusive transitional governing body with full executive powers which shall be formed on the basis of mutual consent while ensuring continuity of governmental institutions.”

French Deputy Ambassador Alexis Lamek pointed out that progress on creating a new government for Syria would also strengthen the campaign against Da’esh (ISIS).

“We will not defeat Da’esh without an organized transition in Syria,” Lamek said.

As with everything else at the United Nations, the gap between discussion and action is wide: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is to report back to the Council on the next phase of consultations led by his envoy within 90 days.

France Drops Pro-Palestinian UN Resolution

Wednesday, July 8th, 2015

France is back-pedaling from a decision to submit a resolution to the United Nations Security Council forcing Israel to renew negotiations with the Palestinian Authority.

PA foreign minister Fiyad al-Maliki told Voice of Palestine radio on Tuesday that France was instead advancing a suggestion to form a negotiations support committee.

The move follows a visit to Israel in early June, during which French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius urged the resumption of final status talks between Israel and the PA.

Netanyahu warned in remarks prior to his meeting with Fabius that the international community’s ideas for peace with the Palestinian Authority ignore the security needs of Israel.

Fabius subsequently discussed the issue in depth with Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, President Reuven Rivlin, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon and a host of other top government officials.

PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas had already rejected out of hand the most recent French proposal for a resolution in the UN Security Council giving both sides 18 months to reach an agreement. The reason: Under the French resolution, the PA would be required to recognize Israel as a “Jewish” state.

“I can say that the idea of the French draft resolution in the Security Council is not a main topic for decision makers in France anymore,” Maliki said, after a meeting with French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius in Cairo.

However, said Maliki, a negotiations support committee would only make sense if talks are under way. The committee would be comprised of representatives from the members of the UN Security Council, in addition to Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia, he added.

U.S.-brokered talks between Israel and the PA collapsed in April 2014 with the decision by PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas to instead form a unity government with Gaza’s ruling Hamas terror organization, whose charter calls for the annihilation of the State of Israel.

UN Equates Israel With Hamas, Both Off UN Blacklist

Tuesday, June 9th, 2015

The United Nations equated Israel on Monday with the Iranian-backed Hamas terror organization that rules Gaza.

The UN left both Israel – the sole democracy in the Middle East – and the terrorist group off its blacklist of those who violate children’s rights during conflicts.

UN special envoy for children and armed conflict Leila Zerrougui of Algeria had listed both Hamas and Israel in the report she sent for final approval to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, according to UN sources.

Israel was subjected to sharp criticism by Zerrougui for the impact on children created by its 2014 counter terror war against the terrorists – who for years rained down rocket fire on Israeli children and their families.

On Monday, UN Security Council members received the draft as well. But it was Ban with whom the final decision rested. Sources told journalists the secretary-general elected to strike both Israel and Hamas from the list.

The decision, said the sources, was highly unusual.

Meanwhile, Gaza terrorists are again testing Israel’s resolve. On Saturday night, civilians were sent racing to their bomb shelters once again when a Grad Katyusha rocket was fired at southern Israel from northern Gaza.

The rocket was intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile defense system, indicating that it had been heading directly for a major population center. Shrapnel from the destroyed rocket was later identified on the outskirts of the coastal city of Ashkelon.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon warned Monday that Israel will not “allow anyone to disrupt the lives” of her citizens.

Speaking at an awards ceremony attended by IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot that was held at the home of President Reuven Rivlin in Jerusalem to honor IDF reservists, Ya’alon said, “In recent days we received another reminder about the complexity of the situation in Gaza.”

Ya’alon spoke of “a hostile entity controlled by a murderous terrorist organization, Hamas, which is also challenged by terror gangs affiliated with global jihad.”

Israel, he said, is maintaining a “determined and decisive policy, one that is measured and responsible… If we are required to, and we continue to be challenged, we will not hesitate to act,” he warned.

Obama Finally Forced to Admit Iran’s Nuclear Breakout Time ‘Zero’ in 13 Years

Tuesday, April 7th, 2015

It took a lot of pressure and many more speeches and harangues by Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu than anyone probably wanted to hear, but at the end of the day, it paid off:

U.S. President Barack Obama was finally forced on Tuesday to admit the truth: In 13 years – if not fewer – Iran’s breakout time to an atomic bomb will be zero.

That means the world will have practically no warning whatsoever as to when Iran actually reaches its nuclear weapons capability – if it has not already done so by then, without telling anyone.

According to a report by the Associated Press, Obama told NPR News that for the first decade following the new deal reached last week with world powers led by the United States in Lausanne, Switzerland, Tehran will be capped at 300 kilograms of enriched uranium. The president insisted this was not enough to convert to a cache of weapons-grade fuel.

But then the president said this:

What is a more relevant fear would be that in Year 13, 14, 15, they have advanced centrifuges that enrich uranium fairly rapidly, and at that point, the breakout times would have shrunk almost down to zero.

By then, restrictions on Iran’s enriched uranium stockpiles will have been eased for the two years prior – in Years 11 and 12 – which means there will already have been two years in which to gather enriched nuclear fuel.

The admission confirms just one of a long list of concerns that Israel’s prime minister had underlined to the U.S. Congress – and to the rest of the world – in his repeated explanations of why “an even greater danger” exists that Iran could “get to the bomb by keeping [this] deal.”

Israeli Strategic Affairs Minister Yuval Steinitz on Monday issued a government statement outlining “the irresponsible concessions given to Iran” in the agreement. The document also showed “how dangerous the framework is for Israel, the region and the world.”

Among the changes demanded by Israel to the current agreement between Iran and world powers prior to the June 30 final deadline (which the United States has ignored):

  • Bar further Iranian research and development on advanced uranium enrichment centrifuges;
  • Significantly reduce the number of centrifuges available to Iran for it to reactivate in violation of the deal;
  • Close down the Fordow underground enrichment facility;
  • Require Iranian compliance in detailing previous nuclear activities with potential military dimensions;
  • Ship Iran’s stockpile of lower-enriched uranium out of the country;
  • Ensure “anywhere-anytime” spot inspections of Iran’s nuclear facilities.

The document (click here for the PDF file) also made clear – as has Netanyahu, repeatedly in statements to the media – that the current agreement “ignores the threat posed by Iran’s nuclear program to Israel.” The prime minister emphasized that a “better deal” can and must be reached with Iran, “an enemy of the United States whose regime, even during the negotiations, continued to conduct aggression in the region and to call for the destruction of Israel.”

The document pointedly calls attention to the fact that under the current agreement:

  • Not a single nuclear facility will be shut down;
  • Iran is allowed to continued advanced uranium centrifuge enrichment research and development;
  • Iranian intercontinental ballistic missile program development is altogether ignored;
  • Sanctions that could be used to regulate Iran’s compliance are instead removed.

Included in the document are 10 questions aimed at those who negotiated this deal and support its passage into law:

1. Why are sanctions that took years to put in place being removed immediately (as the Iranians claim)? This removes the international community’s primary leverage at the outset of the agreement, and make Iranian compliance less likely.

France Warns There’s ‘Insufficient Progress’ With Iran on Nuclear Deal

Wednesday, March 25th, 2015

French Ambassador to the United Nations Francois Delattre told a meeting of the UN Security Council Tuesday that “insufficient” progress has been made towards a nuclear deal with Iran.

The UNSC session had been convened specifically to discuss the issue of UN sanctions on Iran.

“Iran must now make difficult choices if it truly wishes to regain the trust of the international community,” Delattre told ambassadors at the session.

Gaps still remain on the issues of sanctions and research and development, Reuters reported. Likewise, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters in a briefing in Lausanne, Switzerland on Tuesday, that although there had been “substantial progress” in the talks, “important gaps remain… We have an opportunity to get this right,” he added, urging Iran to make the “fundamental decisions” that would prove its interest in peace, not nuclear weaponry.

But as Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu predicted in his speech to the U.S. Congress earlier this month, Iran’s behavior reflects anything but an interest in peaceful relations with the West.

An Iranian official scolded the director-general of the UN International Atomic Energy Agency, Yukiyo Amano, for requiring unannounced inspections of its nuclear sites as part of its inspection protocols.

The request, which Amano contended would reassure the international community and restore Iran’s credibility, harmed negotiations between world powers and Tehran, said Iran nuclear spokesperson Behrouz Kamalvandi.

Iranian state television quoted Kamalvandi as saying, “It would be much better if Amano only talked about the IAEA’s seasonal and monthly reports.”

The deadline for the talks – conducted with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany — is set for March 31, with a final agreement to be tied up by June 30.

Obama ‘Threatening to Abandon Israel’ at UN Security Council

Friday, March 20th, 2015

President Barack Obama appears to be “rushing to the United Nations” to force a peace deal between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, Fox News reported Thursday night. It’s another nail in the coffin replacing the trust Israelis once had in American presidents, a commentator observed.

In an interview on the cable television news network, U.S. Army Lt.-Col. Ralph Peters (res.), said Obama seems to want to “pick a fight – a deadly fight potentially – with Israel.”

Peters, clearly upset, told the interviewer he could not understand why Obama appears to be aligning the United States with radical Islamist nations against the sole democracy in the Middle East. “Our policy is off the rails,” he said.

Obama’s staff, he maintained, “overplayed their hand so badly that the Israeli people, even those who don’t much like Bibi (Netanyahu), turned this from an economy-based election to a security-based election. Obama’s accommodation with Iran at any cost is very frightening.”

Although most U.S. politicians consider the Iranian nuclear deal to be a policy issue, Peters correctly noted that in Israel, “it is a matter of survival.

“And that’s what this election told us, that the people of Israel, for the first time ever, fear an American president,” he concluded.

However, Fox News journalist Megan Kelly reported in a separate segment that the White House does not see it the same way. She quoted President Obama as saying that he sees “no path to a peace agreement,” and added that the president is “now threatening to abandon Israel at the United Nations.”

The comment referred to Obama’s threat to consider the option of not using America’s veto to block a UN Security Council resolution to grant statehood to the Palestinian Authority, possibly along the 1949 Armistice lines, also known as the “1967 border.”

Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu responded: “You can’t force the people of Israel, who just elected me by a wide margin to bring them peace and security — to secure the State of Israel — to accept terms that would endanger the very survival of the State of Israel.

“I don’t think that’s the direction of American policy,” he said. “I hope it’s not.”

Kelly interviewed Netanyahu about the issue on her Fox News TV program, The Kelly File, late Thursday night.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/obama-threatening-to-abandon-israel-at-un-security-council/2015/03/20/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: