web analytics
July 23, 2014 / 25 Tammuz, 5774
Israel at War: Operation Protective Edge
 
 
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘UN’

Hamas Attacks Israel with Mortar Shells during ‘Humanitarian Ceasefire’

Thursday, July 17th, 2014

Hamas managed to honor the United Nations-sponsored five-hour “humanitarian ceasefire” for a grand total of two hours before attacking Israel with mortar shells. It waited until less than a minute after the end of the ceasefire to stage a massive attack on Israel with more than 50 rockets and missiles from the south to north of Tel Aviv Thursday afternoon.

No serious injuries have been reported, but at least one home in Ashkelon sustained damage. The Iron Dome intercepted several missiles fired at Tel Aviv and surrounding cities, including Kfar Saba to the north.

At noon, two hours after the brief ceasefire was upheld by Israel and Hamas, the terrorist regime hit the Eshkol region in the Western Negev with three mortar shells

Hamas also Hamas executed four civilians for collaborating with Israel during the Protect Edge counter-terrorist campaign that began last week. More than a dozen of others have been arrested and face the same fate.

Foreign leaders have not commented on the executions or commented if they represented a “disproportionate response.”

Hamas followed up the mortar shelling with rocket attacks seconds after the official end of the ceasefire, shooting at Ashkelon, Gaza Belt communities and Be’er Sheva within an hour.

By 6 p.m., the Iron Dome system already was in action over the skies of Tel Aviv.

After the initial attacks, the IDF swiftly responded, bombing terror targets in northern and central Gaza.

Israel has suffered a bad name following the bombing of Gaza beach on Wednesday that had been used by terrorists but where children also were playing until the Air Force combed the area killing at least four minors.

Hamas also suffered PR damage when it was exposed again for using civilian areas for terror. UNRWA discovered weapons in one of its school, as reported here.

Foreign leaders or would-be leaders, ranging from former U.S. President Bill Clinton to Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, castigated Israel, Erdogan told a meeting of Islamic scholars in in Turkey, “Since 1948, we have been witnessing this attempt at systematic genocide every day and every month. But above all we are witnessing this attempt at systematic genocide every Ramadan.”

Clinton, whose Oslo Accords unwittingly created “new Middle East” exactly opposite of what he intended, still is on the soap box preaching that Israel is the reason Hamas attacks.

“I believe that Prime Minister Netanyahu could and should make a comprehensive peace agreement with the Palestinians,” he told an Indian news channel Wednesday.

“Over the long run it is not good for Israel to keep isolating itself from world opinion because of the absence of a viable peace process,” he added. “In the short to medium term, Hamas can inflict terrible public relations damage on Israel by forcing it to kill Palestinian civilians to counter Hamas.”

Did he really say “civilians”? Did he really say Israel might suffer, oy veh, “public relations damage.”

Now we have another reason why the U.S. Constitution prevents a president from running for a third term.

There also are other reasons, such as Barack Obama.

Arabs Torch UN Car, Try to Blow Up Building [video]

Sunday, July 6th, 2014

In the Jerusalem neighborhood of Nof Tzion, near Jabel Mukaber, Arabs threw firebombs at a UN cars parked on the street. The UN car, and a second car parked nearby were completely destroyed.

Burned UN Cars

The Arabs also threw firebombs on a building’s fuel tank in an attempt to blow it up. The building’s facade was lightly damaged from the fire.

PA Silent on Condemnation and Complains to UN of Israeli ‘Aggression’

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

The Palestinian Authority wrote the United Nations Tuesday of “ongoing escalated Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people” but did not even hint of any condemnation of the murder of kidnapped teenagers Naftali Frankel, Gilad Sha’ar and Eyal Yifrach.

The United States has made a big deal out of Mahmoud Abbas’ one-time condemnation of the abductions, but the only Palestinian Authority reaction since the discovery that the teenagers were murdered has been a condemnation of Israeli counter-terrorist maneuvers..

“Those who kidnapped the three Israeli teenagers want to destroy us,” Abbas said two weeks ago in Saudi Arabia.. “First and foremost [these teenagers] are human beings like us. It is our responsibility to search for them and to return them to their families. We will hold their kidnappers accountable, whoever they are.”

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu also has praised Abbas for helping in the search for the bodies, but the quantity and content of official Fatah and Palestinian Authority statements clearly show that the condemnations and assistance in the search were simply window dressing.

Following the discovery of the teenagers; bodies Monday night, Fatah posted pictures of “Israelis crying over killed soldiers,” Palestinian Media Watch (PMW) reported.

Despite the two-week-old condemnation from Abbas after the news of the abductions broke, Fatah celebrated by posting on its official Facebook page a “caricature showing the three kidnapped boys as mice caught on the hooks of a fishing rod,” PMW added.

The Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to the United Nations, Ambassador Riyad Mansour, sent on Tuesday identical letters to the UN Secretary-General the, president of the UN Security Council and the president of the U.N. General Assembly “on the ongoing escalated Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people in West Bank and Gaza.”

The Palestinian Authority’s official WAFA news agency reported, “Mansour underscored that many Palestinians were either killed or injured during Israeli bombardment on Gaza in the past two weeks, stressing that the escalation of Israeli aggression threatens to further destabilize the already-fragile situation on the ground, pulling the region into more violence, which, he said, requires the attention of the international community, particularly the UN security council’s attention, whose mission is to preserve international peace and security.”

His only condemnation was not over the kidnap-murders but instead over the alleged  “collective punishment since the beginning of the Israeli military aggression in search of three allegedly abducted settlers.”

Yes, he actually said they were “allegedly” kidnapped,” just as Abbas stated two weeks ago, despite his “condemnation.”

Since the discovery of the three teenagers’ bodies Monday night, WAFA’s website made no mention of missile attacks on Israel and only reported on “settlers’ attacks,” that Israeli is planning to “seize Palestinian land… for settlement construction: and that a “settler” driver deliberately ran over an Arab near Hebron.

UN Warns Syria to End Fighting in Golan Heights

Thursday, June 26th, 2014

The United Nations Security Council has warned Syria to stop fighting its civil war in the Golan Heights.

The council adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning all sides in the war and warning the fighting must stop – at least in the Golan Heights, where military action now threatens to raise tensions with Israel.

The resolution, adopted unanimously in the chamber, reiterated a finding by U.N. Secretary Ban Ki-moon that spillover from the Syrian conflict into the buffer zone had jeopardized the cease fire between Syria and Israel. Both civilians and U.N. personnel are increasingly endangered by the situation, he found. The resolution also included an extension of the U.N. mission that provides military personnel to monitor the cease fire between Syria and Israel, until December 31.

Earlier this week, Syrian National Reconciliation Affairs Minister Ali Haidar told the Israeli Arab As-Sonara newspaper, “Whatever cease fire agreements there were in the past are now null and void as a result of the Israeli aggression. We have returned to a state of war.”

The statement came in the wake of an Israeli air strike fired in response to a Syrian anti-tank missile fired at a civilian water truck on the Israeli side of the border in the Golan Heights. A 13 year old Israeli boy died and three men – including the boy’s father — were wounded in the attack, which was unprovoked. The men were contractors working for Israel’s defense ministry making repairs near Tel Hazeka, along the border area.

“It is absolutely clear that the Syrian military is responsible for firing the anti-tank missile. Any violation of our sovereignty in the Golan Heights will be met with a powerful response against [Syrian President Bashar] Assad’s forces,” Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said.

Jordan Blocks UN Security Council Condemnation of Terrorist Kidnapping

Tuesday, June 24th, 2014

Jordan managed to prevent the United Nations Security Council from condemning the kidnapping of three Israeli teens by Arab terrorists on June 12, after repeated attempts to force a statement condemning Israel along with the terrorists.

Jordan attempted to sneak in the condemnation of Israel in the Council’s resolution aginst the kidnapping Monday at a session of the U.N. Security Council, but the United States blocked it. The move came in maneuvers to work out wording of a statement to media condemning the kidnapping.

Jordan wanted to include wording to condemn Israel for “collective punishment” of the Palestinian Authority population … and a call for “both sides to exercise restraint,” according to a Council diplomat. In the end, the Hashemite Kingdom succeeded in preventing the Security Council from issuing any statement condemning the kidnapping at all.

Russian U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin told reporters, “Unfortunately, members of the Security Council were not able to find common ground. Some delegates want to have very strong language condemning Israel, another delegation did not want to have any reference to Israel at all.”

Israeli U.N. Ambassador Ron Prosor said in a statement following the meeting, “Some nations behave as if Israel should roll out the welcome mat for Hamas. Israel will not allow this terrorist group to trample on its citizens. Israelis are acting in self-defense.”

‘Brother’s Keeper’ Day 12: Fewer Arrests, More Sites Searched

Tuesday, June 24th, 2014

As Operation Brother’s Keeper approaches the end of its second week, IDF troops are making fewer arrests and widening their search.

Just four fugitives were arrested Monday night as IDF soldiers meticulously searched for the teens. But more than 120 sites – most of them private homes – were raided in Hevron and its surrounds. On Sunday night, at least 37 arrests were made.

Meanwhile, United Nations political affairs chief Jeffrey Feltman weighed in on Monday, warning Israel to “exercise restraint” in its search.

“As the search for the missing youths continues, we call for restraint in carrying out the security operations in strict compliance with international law, and avoiding punishing individuals for offenses they have not personally committed,” he said. “The rising death toll as a result of Israeli security operations in the West Bank is alarming,” he told the U.N. Security Council at its monthly meeting on the Middle East. Feltman expressed concerns over the possibility of a third intifada starting against Israel by PA Arabs.

So far, the troops have searched 1,800 buildings for 19 year old Eyal Yifrach, and 16 year old Naftali Frenkel and Gilad Sha’ar. In the process, they came up with the accused murderer of Judea and Samaria Police Commissioner Baruch Mizrachi. The accused is a terrorist who was released early from prison as part of the prisoner exchange deal that returned former IDF soldier Gilad Shalit to his family two and a half years ago. Shalit was kidnapped by Hamas terrorists in a cross border raider near the Kerem Shalom crossing, and held captive for more than five years. Israel freed more than 1,000 Palestinian Authority Arab terrorists, including hundreds of murderers with Jewish blood on their hands, in order to rescue him.

But the troops have yet to find the three kidnapped boys they are now searching for. Their second goal – neutralizing Hamas in Judea and Samaria – is also part of the continuing operation. More than 360 Hamas terrorists have been arrested in the past 12 days, including at least 60 who were released in the Shalit prisoner exchange deal. Those will be remanded for separate court hearings to determine whether they have violated the terms of the pledges they signed upon their release — and if so, each will return to prison resume serving the remainder of their sentences.

A third goal has also been added to the operation: beefing up defenses for Israeli residents of Judea and Samaria so their daily routine will no longer be disrupted by security issues.

The upcoming Islamic holiday of Ramadan, a month-long daytime fast observed by religious Muslims, is one the IDF is taking into consideration as well. “It is important for us to maintain routine relations with the Palestinians in whose communities we are carrying out our searches,” said a security source. “Ramadan is no obstacle, and we will continue to do whatever is necessary to track down the boys, with due consideration for the local population.”

Legalists to UN Chief Ki-Moon: “Retract all Acceptance of PA to the UN”

Tuesday, June 24th, 2014

JERUSALEM – The Legal Forum for Israel, a body representing hundreds of lawyers and jurists from various countries, has sent a letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon last week demanding that he retract all acceptance within the UN of the Palestinian Authority and reject the Palestinian request to accede to international conventions. Relating to the abduction of the three boys form Gush Etzion, author of the letter Alan Baker, former legal adviser of Israel’s foreign ministry, former ambassador to Canada and Director of the International Action Division of the Legal Forum for Israel, writes: “We are, first and foremost, at the time of writing this letter, most distressed at the tragic situation in which one or more Palestinian terror groups, affiliated to what you and the UN regard as the “State of Palestine”, considered to be a non-member state observer in the UN, have taken three Israeli youths hostage, in clear violation of all basic humanitarian norms and conventions. We feel that this action, together with the dangerous situation presently prevailing, is directly connected to, and emanates from the enhanced status that you and the UN have attributed to this Palestinian entity. By any basic criterion of international law and practice, this entity should never have been, and cannot be considered to be a state.”

Baker continues to state that by granting such status, the UN violated and undermined the Oslo Accords, the very agreements between the PLO and Israel for which the UN has consistently expressed its clear support.

Baker goes on to point out that this situation is all the more evident and absurd in light of the incorporation of the Hamas terror organization into the governing structure of the Palestinian Authority, an action welcomed by the UN and Moon himself. “No one, not even the UN, can deny the fact that the Hamas terror organization is universally recognized as such. Hence the absurdity of the UN’s situation in hosting within its own ranks a terrorist entity,” stated Baker.

Baker attacks the UN for its quick acceptance of the PA signing of the international treaties. “In the same vain, it is no less inconceivable, both legally and morally, that you and the UN recently rushed within days to accept the request addressed to you by “the State of Palestine” to accede to international conventions – including, ironically and cynically, the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, presently being blatantly violated by the Palestinian Authority. This present, ongoing child hostage situation carried out by elements within that “Palestinian government of national consensus” only accentuates the cynical and embarrassing situation into which you and the UN have permitted yourselves to be drawn by Palestinian manipulation.”

Baker finally demands action on the part of the UN. “In view of the fact that the Palestinian non-member state observer has now become an openly identified terrorist entity, we feel that it is incumbent upon you and the organization to act immediately to retract all acceptance and status within the UN of this terrorist entity, and to reject the Palestinian request to accede to international conventions, under the misleading and fraudulent claim that it is a state,” concludes Baker.

Former Ambassador Baker further stated that he was shocked by the “the UN’s, the Secretary-General’s and the international community’s hypocrisy and selective one sided attitude. They are all ready to condemn Israel and to establish inquiry committees on everything Israel does, but ignore the significant damage against Israel and against all humanitarian norms.”

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/legalists-to-un-chief-ki-moon-retract-all-acceptance-of-pa-to-the-un/2014/06/24/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: