web analytics
April 20, 2014 / 20 Nisan, 5774
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Uri Ariel’

Kerry Tells Senate Hearing Israel Busted the Peace Talks

Tuesday, April 8th, 2014

Israel’s announcement last week of new homes for a southern Jerusalem neighborhood in an area claimed by the Palestinian Authority was the trigger that caused the blow-up in the American-led effort to extend peace talks, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told a Senate committee Tuesday.

He told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that after Israel refused to release a fourth batch of terrorists, and then followed that decision with the housing tender in the Gilo neighborhood of Jerusalem, “poof, that was sort of the moment,” Kerry said. “We find ourselves where we are.”

Poof?

Just like that, with a snap of the fingers, after eight months of charades in which the Palestinian Authority and Israel made no headway, in which Israel demanded that Mahmoud Abbas declare that Israel is a Jewish State, in which Abbas continued to negotiate not to negotiate, it went “poof”?

Kerry is the same man who a few days said it’s time for a “reality check.”

After his “poof” puff, Republican Sen John McCain of Arizona told Kerry that concerning the peace process, “It is stopped. Recognize reality!”

But Kerry can’t. When Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said a couple of months that Kerry is “obsessive” with the peace process and is “messianic,” he was 100 percent on the money.

Only a few days ago, after the “poof,” Kerry said he wanted to focus on rescuing his pet nightmare rather than try to blame one side or the other.

“Look, to be clear, over the last 24 hours, there have been unhelpful actions taken on both sides here, and we didn’t think it was a productive time for the secretary to return to the region,” U.S. State Dept. spokeswoman Marie Harf said. “But we’re not playing the blame game.”

That was five days ago.

Since then, Abbas has insisted there is no turning back the clock. He will go through with his requests to join 15 U.N.-related agencies. He justified the action, a violation of the rules of the game Kerry laid down eight months ago, by charging that Israel reneged on a promise to release the fourth batch of terrorists.

The real cause of the ”poof” that blew up Kerry’s Peace Talks Follies was his dangling the release of Jonathan Pollard as bait to get Israel to agree to Abbas’ terms for releasing more terrorists That is what “poofed” the Arabs, who were enraged at the idea of Pollard going free while arch-terrorist Marwan Barghouti remains in jail..

The media parrots have forgotten all about that because it is more convenient to blame someone else, and guess who?

It no longer makes any difference what the facts are.

What matters is what they are perceived to be. So you can leave aside the fact that Israel and the Palestinian Authority were unable to agree on which terrorists to release.

And you can leave aside the fact that Israel made it clear, before “poof,” that any limited and unofficial building freeze, as part of a deal to extend peace talks, would not include Jerusalem.

Housing Minister Uri Ariel’s announcement of the new homes was the official stamp of that policy.

Kerry is desperate, and Abbas knows it.

That is why five days after he said he does not want to blame either side, he told the Senate hearing that, yes, the Palestinian Authority took an “unhelpful” action by its latest  ploy for attention in the United Nations, but it was Israel that “poofed” his peace talks.

Spokeswoman Harf tried to cover up her boss’s diplomatic faux pas at the Senate hearing.

“Both sides took ineffective steps. Kerry is not playing the blame game,” she told reporters at the daily media question and answer session.

Kerry, Livni and Abbas Take a Seventh-Inning Stretch

Thursday, April 3rd, 2014

Here is an on-the-spot play-by-play report on Wednesday’s action in the Peace Talks Charades.

Tzipi Livin screws up her face and throws a spit ball at the Palestinian Authority, which swings and misses.

John Kerry calls Abbas and reaches first base.

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman steps up to the mound and pitches a curve ball by announcing he will vote against any proposal to release Arab murderers who carry Israeli citizenship.

Martin Indyk takes a walk to Jerusalem and scores a triple play with Livni and Saeb Erekat.

Commentator Samantha Power puts in her two cents, which is about all it is worth, and opines that unilateral actions by the Palestinian Authority “will be a profound threat to Israel and devastating to the peace process.”

Duh.

Housing Minister Uri Ariel, playing right field, urges Netanyahu to find another game and cancel the Oslo Accords, forgetting that they sank long ago in Foggy Bottom except when the State Dept. fishes them out for stale news.

Tourism Minister Uzi Landau, the government’s biggest windbag, carries his bat, points to the bleachers, and says that Israel can punish the Palestinian Authority by annexing Judea and Samaria and slapping sanctions on Ramallah.

His home swing misses by a mile, and he takes a shower.

The Arab League, playing shortstop, forces everyone to take a rain check for a week, when it will meet to grunt and groan and come up with a face-saving pitch for Abbas.

Israel Offers to Free 400 Additional Terrorists

Saturday, March 29th, 2014

A report on the Israeli news website, Walla, said that Israel informed the United States, that not only would it free the 30 terrorists that were supposed to be freed tonight (Saturday night), but also an additional 400 Palestinian Authority terrorists – if Abu Mazen agrees to extend the peace talks for another 6 months.

The 30 terrorists that were supposed to be released tonight include Arab citizens of Israel, and the release has met tremendous resistance in Israel as the names that Abu Mazen demanded released are among the most heinous of mass murderers.

Israel said that it would choose which 400 terrorists would be release in the fifth round.

The Palestinian Authority has not yet responded to the offer.

Bayit Yehudi Minister Uri Ariel said that if the report is true, he will advise his party to leave the coalition. While Bayit Yehudi head, Naftali Bennett, wrote on his Facebook book that it won’t happen.

Admittedly, this act seems so completely illogical, that it appears Netanyahu’s only motivation is to kick the ball 6 months down the field, so that when the peace talks finally collapse for good, it will be close to mid-term elections, and no one in the US administration, such as President Obama or Kerry, will want to be seen as publicly attacking or blaming Israel.

Bennett Threatens to Quit Coalition over Framework

Tuesday, February 4th, 2014

Jewish Home party chairman Naftali Bennett started threatened Monday to pull his party out of the government coalition if Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu accepts an American  “framework” that is inconsistent with the party’s principles.

He also made it clear at the annual Jerusalem Conference that he will back the Prime Minister if there is no contraction between the framework and the Jewish Home’s principles.

Bennett almost found his way out of the coalition when his comments against the idea of Jews living in a Palestinian Authority state were directed so personally at the Prime Minister that he reportedly was ready to fire Bennett as Minister of Economy.

Bennett half-apologized to resolve the crisis.

Housing Minister Uri Ariel, who sticks closer to ideological red lines without going off the board completely, told the conference, “Our Jewish Home party will not sign any document that surrenders Jewish land.”

The Jewish Home is on record as standing up for all of Judea and Samaria as being part of Israel.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is on record as saying that the area is “occupied,” and the framework is not likely to sit well with the Jewish Home party.

However, Kerry has made it clear it is not a document that must be accepted by Israel and the Palestinian Authority but is one that will serve as a guideline for both sides to continue to wriggle and wangle.

State Dept. Comments Show Kerry Is Israel’s Housing Minister

Wednesday, November 13th, 2013

State Dept. comments the past two week have made it clear that Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu does not initiate any moves for building homes for Jews in Judea and Samaria without the approval of  U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

After Israel announced plans to build approximately 1.500 new residential units in eastern Jerusalem and Judea and Samaria after it freed the second of four batches of terrorists in return for the privilege of arguing  directly with the Palestinian Authority, Kerry told reporters that although the United States does not approve of the building, “That is not to say that they weren’t aware, or we weren’t aware, that there would be construction. But that construction, importantly, in our judgment, would be much better off limited as much as possible in an effort to help create a climate for these talks to be able to proceed effectively.”

After Tuesday’s reports that Housing Minister Uri Ariel had hired an architect to draw up plans for 1,500 more residential units, including the controversial E-1 area in the city of Maaleh Adumim, State Dept. Jen Psaki told reporters, “We are deeply concerned by these latest reports that over 20,000 additional units are in the early planning stages. We were surprised by these announcements and are currently seeking further explanation from the Government of Israel.”

Asked if she expected a “heads up” from Israel before the announcement, Psaki explained, “Well, we were not – it was not an issue discussed in advance.“

But as Kerry implied last week, the State Dept. in the past has known about now building plans

One reporter told Psaki, “I remember you all said these were already announced long ago or whatever, even though they were coming at a time when the negotiations were just getting going. You said, ‘No, no, no. We knew about these, they were coming and everything was fine.’ Is this the first time that a new one has come along that was not part of that initial forewarning?”

Checkmate.

Psaki tried to get out of the corner. “I don’t recall us specifying which ones we were surprised and not surprised about. The Secretary did say last week, to your point, that it wasn’t a surprise that we knew there would be more announcements. So I don’t recall us specifying that with the different announcements. I’m not saying we knew about every other one, we just didn’t know about this one in advance.”

Clearly, Prime Minister Netanyahu told the State Dept. about the new building that was announced after more terrorists were freed two weeks ago. Clearly, he did not tell Washington about Ariel’s plans. The Prime Minister quickly pinned back Ariel’s ears, and the Housing Minister said he acquiesced to the big boss’ “request.”

All of the fuss over Ariel’s announcement, as usual, ignored the facts. He did not announce that new homes would be built tomorrow. All he did was state the lengthy bureaucratic procedure would start from square one. It would take approximately five to seven years before homes would be ready.

But the very thought of Israel even dreaming of building on what the United States wants to be part of the Palestinian Authority is enough sideline Kerry’s “peace talks,” a total misnomer because there is little talk and it is not about peace.

It is about how the Obama administration can force Israel to accept Abbas’ demands by pretending to be a mediator but acting on behalf of Abbas. If it doesn’t, he will go the United Nations for what he wants, and that would mean President Obama can’t be part of the action to justify his having received the Nobel Peace Prize.

That is why Kerry, besides being Secretary of State, also has the unofficial positions of Israel’s de facto Housing Minister and the Palestinian Authority’s de facto senior negotiator.

It is no  wonder that Saeb Erekat and his cohort Mohammed Shatayehh turned in their resignations Wednesday. They really don’t have much work to do because Kerry handles the load very nicely.

Ariel has not yet quit as Housing Minster.

Netanyahu Links Iran with Order to Cancel E-1 Building Plans

Wednesday, November 13th, 2013

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu publicly stated on Wednesday that he ordered Housing Ministry Uri Ariel to retract his plans for development of the controversial E-1 area of Maaleh Adumim because of expected reaction of the international community at the same time he is campaigning against letting  up the pressure on the Islamic Republic.

He said Ariel’s decision to advance the project by hiring an architect was “an unnecessary confrontation with the international community at a time when we are making an effort to persuade elements in the international community to reach a better deal with Iran.”

Ariel, a member of the government coalition partner Jewish Home party, has not commented and is licking his wounds. Prime Minister Netanyahu took a deep breath and two weeks ago when he tolerated Ariel’s leading an unsuccessful battle against freeing more Palestinian Authority terrorists in order to continue the struggling discussion between the Palestinian Authority and Israel.

Stopping a “bad deal” with Iran is paramount in Netanyahu’s policy, and he immediately snuffed out Ariel’s once he heard about them. Ariel’s plans for homes in the E-1 area, although it is part of the city of Maaleh Adumim, set off alarm bells in Washington and Ramallah and triggered a short crisis that Netanyahu quickly defused at the cost of building an image of following orders from the Obama administration.

“At this time, the attention of the international community must not be diverted from the main effort – preventing Iran from receiving an agreement that will allow it to continue its military nuclear program.,” Netanyahu told the Knesset.

Arab Murder of Soldier Fuels Hopes for Kerry’s Threatened ‘Intifada’

Wednesday, November 13th, 2013

The IDF has identified the victim of Wednesday’s Palestinian Authority terrorist attack as 19-year-old Eden Atias, of Nazareth Illit in the Lower Galilee.

The 16-year-old attacker, from Jenin, pounced on his helpless victim while he was sleeping on an Egged bus at Afula, approximately five miles north of Jenin.

The bus had stopped for a break before its scheduled trip to Nazareth Illit, and it was empty except for Atias and two other soldiers. The murderer ran out the back door but was quickly overcome by security guards who had been alerted of the attack by a women soldier, apparently unarmed, who fled the bus while screaming that a soldier has been stabbed.

The terrorist said he acted out of revenge for Israel’s having sentenced two of his relatives to jail, one of them with a life sentence for terror.

That is all the State Dept. needs to tone down its response to the attack, in contrast to Tuesday’s bellyaching over reports that Housing Minister Uri Ariel hired an architect to draw up plans for new homes and apartments in the controversial E-1 area in the city of Maaleh Adumim and in smaller towns in Judea and Samaria. When Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu got wind of the news, he promptly Ariel to back off and freeze his plans.

The State Dept. will say in a more diplomatic tone, “If Israel simply would release all terrorists and prisoners, there will be peace” and never mind the victims of the revolving door terrorists who return to their favorite occupation of killing Jews.

The latest murder at the hands of Palestinian Authority Arabs, the sixth this year, occurred only days after the liberal bleeding heart wing of the defense establishment served up warnings that Israel is about to face a third intifada.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, a lot more level-headed than most of the “experts” who are panting after the Obama administration to show how much they cooperate with the United States, insisted, “There is no sign of a popular uprising or so-called third intifada.”

Almost every one of this year’s murders has been carried out by lone terrorists, not connected with any terrorist organization.

But U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who thinks he knows more about Israel’s security needs than anyone else in Israel, piped up last week with a warning that Israel faces a “third intifada” if it doesn’t give up its crazy idea that 600,000 Jews in Jerusalem and Judea and Samaria have a right to remain there as Jewish people in a Jewish state.

Hamas, which praised Wednesday’s terrorist attacks, definitely agrees with Kerry and is active in Hevron, Jenin, Shechem and other areas, but there is no popular support in Judea and Samaria for a revolt against Israel.

The average Mohammed does not want another round of violence, retaliation and the resultant economic stagnation that only would further postpone into eternity the date for establishing the Palestinian Authority as a country.

The average Mohammed is more concerned with Abbas’ corrupt regime and his single-minded aim to head a new Arab state that is totally dependent on foreign handouts and ignores the daily needs of its own people.

Every effort by the Palestinian Authority to organize “million man protests” has succeeded in bringing out 1,000,000 Arabs minus the last there zeroes.

The people aren’t interested.

The violence comes from lone rangers, usually teenagers or young men who have grown up with 20 years of incitement from their PA schools and Muslim preachers.

They don’t need Kerry to teach them to kill, but the Secretary of State’s statement is music to the ears of Hamas and the terrorist arm, known as the “military branch,” of Abbas’ Fatah party.

The threat of an intifada is simply another gimmick to pressure the Netanyahu government to fold up, go back to the edge of the Mediterranean Sea, and wait for the next boat.

The problem is one of “adaptive expectation.” If you think inflation is going to go rampant, you go out and buy like crazy, which encourages sellers to raise prices and bingo – inflation.

If the Obama administration continues to spout off the threat of violence, it will happen.

When Kerry responded rhetorically to an Israeli reporter last week and said, ”Do you want a third intifada,” he really meant, “I want a third intifada if that is what it takes to earn the Nobel “Peace” Prize.

World Orthodox Leaders Honors Rabbi Fass for Promoting Aliyah

Tuesday, November 12th, 2013

The World Orthodox Leadership Forum honored Rabbi Yehoshua Fass, co-founder of Nefesh B’Nefesh, at its annual dinner in Jerusalem on Monday for his contribution to aliyah to Israel.

Rabbi Fass is a co-founder of the Nefesh B’Nefesh organization, which has helped thousands of Jews from North American and Britain to move to Israel.

Additional honorees at the dinner included former National Religious Party minister Zevulun Orlev and Rabbi Chaim Sabato in recognition of his contribution to Jewish Literature.

Minister of Housing Uri Ariel and former Sephardi Chief Rabbi of Israel Shlomo Amar also attended the event.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/world-orthodox-leaders-honors-rabbi-fass-for-promoting-aliyah/2013/11/12/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: