web analytics
May 27, 2015 / 9 Sivan, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘US Navy’

Contact Made with Crew of Ship Seized by Iran

Thursday, April 30th, 2015

Brief contact has been made with the 24-man crew on the Marshall Islands-flagged Maersk Tigris ship seized by Iran this week, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

The ship was charted by Rickmers Shipmanagement, based in Singapore, whose spokesman Cor Radings said:

They’re all in relatively good condition, but it’s not a good situation and is still of concern to us,

He added that Iranian guards are keeping the crew in their rooms and eating area. All of the crew members are from Asia and Eastern Europe.

The USS Navy has sent the U.S. Farragut destroyer and three other smaller ships to the Strait of Hormuz (Persian Gulf) in response to Iran’s seizure of the vessel on Tuesday.

Rickmers maintains that the Maersk ship was in international waters when Iranian Revolutionary Navy Guards shot at it and then forced it to the area of the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas.

 

US Sends Destroyer to Persian Gulf after Iran Boards Freighter

Wednesday, April 29th, 2015

The U.S. Navy Farragut destroyer is speeding to the Persian Gulf Wednesday after Iran boarded a Marshall Islands-flagged freighter that the regime said had trespassed into its waters while sailing through the key oil and gas tanker route of the Straits of Hormuz, also known as the Persian Gulf.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Navy fired shots at the ship, which the Pentagon says was in international waters.

The United States also has ordered an aircraft carrier to remain on standby in another mini-crisis that Iran seems to have created to put pressure on the Obama administration during the new round of talks between U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Iran on an agreement to allow Tehran to continue its nuclear development program.

The Marshall Islands, once an American territory, is independent of the United States but has a “free relationship” with Washington that includes a security pact.

A spokesman for the Maersk shipping company said that the vessel charted by Rickers Shipmanagment was in international waters and was sailing from Saudi Arabia to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) with cargo that could range from  “anything from food to machinery to electronics,” he said.

Rickers spokesman Cor Radings wrote in an e-mail to The New York Times he does not know of any previous incident of Iran seizing a ship in open seas. He stated, “I cannot exclude it has happened before, but would believe we have to go back” to World War II.

Last week, Iran caved into American and Western pressure and turned back one of its ships that was approaching Aden, Yemen with a cargo of what was assumed to be weapons for Iranian-backed Houthi rebels.

Jeff Rathke, the State Dept.’s tight-lipped spokesman, told reporters Tuesday:

It’s a key concern of the United States to ensure that sea lanes in the region remain open and safe… We remain committed to our regional partners and to maintaining security in the maritime environment.

So what is the United States going to do about it, especially since the United States has what Rathke called a “security compact” with the Marshall Islands?

“Is the U.S. prepared to use force to defend the Marshall Islands?” one reporter asked.

Rathke answered,” “Well, I think that’s premature to jump to that conclusion.”

And did Iran commit an act of piracy or aggression?

Rathke:  “I’m not going to apply an adjective to it right now. We are following the situation very carefully, but I’m not going to label it.

Well, does the United States condemn it?

Rathke:” Well, again, we’re gathering more information. I don’t have a further reaction at this point.

But what about the security compact that Rathke said “gives the U.S. authority and responsibility for security and defense matters that relate to the Marshall Islands, including matters related to vessels flying the Marshallese flag?”

Well, he says, “Certainly, that’s something we’re looking at.”

And could it be, just possibly by a stretch of the imagination, that Iran the seizure and previous threats from Iran to block the Persian Gulf are linked to the proposed nuclear negotiations?

Rathke, of course, “is not going to speculate on what their motives might be.

In case you missed it, Kerry said yesterday:

We are, in fact, closer than ever to the good, comprehensive deal that we have been seeking, and if we can get there, the entire world will be safer.

If finalized and implemented, (an agreement) will close off all of Iran’s possible pathways to the nuclear material required for a nuclear weapon and give the international community the confidence that it needs to know that Iran’s nuclear program is indeed exclusively peaceful.

And if the United States does not agree, Iran will close the Persian Gulf and raise the price of oil as part of its program to make the entire safer.

US to Question Al Qaeda Suspect Terrorist on Ship in Mediterranean

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013

American authorities said Monday they will question an Al Qaeda terrorist,  re-captured in Tripoli over the weekend, while he is on a Navy ship in the Mediterranean Sea and without reading him his rights, making it impossible to use the information at a trial.

If the terrorist, Abu Anas al-Libi, reveals the same information after later hearing his rights when questioned again in the United States, the information can be used at his trial, NBC reported.

Interrogators from the CIA, the FBI and Navy officers aboard the USS San Antonio will question al-Libi to learn more about Al Qaeda activities both inside Libya and elsewhere.

Al-Libi has been in custody before for bombing attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Libya 15 years ago. Two other terrorists are at large for the attack, while eight others, including Osama bin Laden, have been killed. Nine are in custody and one has died while awaiting trial.

 

Netanyahu Consoles Obama over US Navy Yard Massacre

Tuesday, September 17th, 2013

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu communicated to President Barack Obama Tuesday “heartfelt condolences” following the massacre at the U.S. Navy Yard in Washington on Monday.

“On behalf of the people of Israel, please accept following the tragedy at the Washington Navy Yard,” he wrote. “We extend our deepest sympathies to the families of the victims of this heinous crime, and we pray for a speedy recovery for the injured.

Twelve Killed in Shooting Spree at US Navy Base (Video) UPDATES

Monday, September 16th, 2013

UPDATE: 3;30 p.m. Aaron Alexis, 34, of Fort Worth, Texas has been identified as a suspected shooter. Alexis was a civilian contractor. He reportedly used the identification card of a former Navy Yard employee to gain entrance to the complex and the building.
UPDATE:
3 P.M. et – Police now say that at least 12 people were killed. Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said that no motive has been found for the murders but that the massacre was a terrorist attack.

“This is not over,” Rear Admiral John Kirby, the U.S. Navy’s chief spokesman, told reporters. “The building is still in lockdown, as are other buildings. Still being treated as an active search. No one is moving right now.”

UPDATE: 1:30 p.m. ET – D.C. police are searching for possibly two additional shooters at large, one described as a black male wearing khakis, a beret and carrying a handgun, the other a white male dressed in olive drab military style uniform, carrying a long gun.  Authorities are saying that although the possible shooters are dressed in military style clothing, they are not believed to be members of the military.

UPDATE: 11:40 a.m. ET – there are multiple reports that a shooter is dead.

UPDATE: 11:20 a.m. ET at least eight people are confirmed dead by two police sources.

Washington and federal police reportedly have shot and wounded two gunmen and looking for a possible third attacker after they killed at least four people and wounded 8-10 others at the Washington Navy Yard in the capital late Tuesday morning.

One of the gunman, dressed in black and armed with an AR-15 assault rifle, had been holed up inside Building 197, the Naval Sea Command Headquarters. Approximately 3,000 workers employed in the complex rushed to shelters during the shooting. At least one of the shooters reportedly was wearing army fatigues.

The Associated Press reported that an eyewitness said the gunmen began shooting at the first-floor cafeteria from the fourth floor that overlooks the area.

Authorities shut down Ronald Reagan Airport as a precautionary measure, but flights since have been resumed. Area schools were placed on lockdown.

The Navy Yard  hosts one of the Navy’s five system commands and builds ships and submarines.
The White House stated, “The President directed his team to stay in touch with our federal partners, including the Navy and FBI, as well as the local officials. We urge citizens to listen to the authorities and follow directions from the first responders on site.”

The Navy Yard hosts one of the Navy’s five system commands and builds ships and submarines.

Read more at: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/gunman-escapes-after-shooting-spree-at-us-navy-base-video/2013/09/16/

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/gunman-escapes-after-shooting-spree-at-us-navy-base-video/2013/09/16/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: