April 24, 2014 / 24 Nisan, 5774
Spa 1.2 Combining Modern Living in Traditional Jerusalem

A unique and prestigious residential project in now being built in Mekor Haim Street in Jerusalem.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »
DEPT. OF SANE IDEAS

The US Should Learn from Israel How to Permit, Not Outlaw Guns

Jews have an obligation to fight laws that would ban their access to guns.

The Jewish Press Online's Malkah Fleisher training at the Caliber 3 gun range.

The Jewish Press Online's Malkah Fleisher training at the Caliber 3 gun range.
Photo Credit: The Jewish Press Online

Share Button

Once obvious targets for an attacks, such as schools (think JCCs, and synagogues, too) appoint visibly armed, well-trained guards, we will undoubtedly be seeing a reduction in the number of massacres perpetrated in American schools and other public places.

But if schools and shuls can’t afford that extra expense, they should at least let their staff who can afford it undergo the proper training.

Jews have an obligation to themselves, their families, and their communities to own guns, and be well-trained in their proper handling, storage and use.

We mustn’t wait until, God forbid, another JCC, synagogue or a yeshiva is targeted by some crazed gunman.

Share Button

About the Author:

Leave a comment (Select your commenting platform)

76 Responses to “The US Should Learn from Israel How to Permit, Not Outlaw Guns”

1. Grace Acosta says:

I fail to see how more restriction on civilian gun ownership is going to stop violent crimes. The only people deterred from gun ownership will be the law abiding citizens. (That said, a simple metal detector at the school's door would have alerted the staff not to buzz the killer in. They didn't even need an armed guard.)

When was the last time a violent crime was committed by the trained, legal owner of a licensed and registered gun? 99.9% of guns used in crimes are stolen, bought on the black market, purchased with fake ID, or otherwise obtained by people who are breaking the law to acquire them – with further law breaking in mind. If a deranged person has a well planned attack in mind, he/she will find a way around the system, no matter what.

When something goes "bump in the night", I rest easy knowing that I can defend my family when needed. I refuse to allow criminals to dictate my rights to self defense.

2. Jonathan TheDoak says:

the other flaw I see with this argument is the DMV can barely handle drivers licenses….if we let them handle gun licenses…. need I say more…

3. Jonathan TheDoak says:

4. And so the cycle of violence continues.

Oh, Israel does have shootings. The settlers shoot the pallies.

Bad example I'm afraid.

5. Mark Perry says:

Please read early American History. The intent of the 2nd Amendment was not just for hunting and personal protection. Israel may allow the people to have guns but have clearly made sure the Gov. is in full control of the user.

6. C. Lee Vermeers says:

Just one note of fact: the shooter was not buzzed in. He forced his way in.

7. Chaiya Eitan says:

This sounds like a very reasonable approach to the whole issue.

8. Chaiya Eitan says:

Stacie Officeshrew Curtis – you asked me earlier concerning guns in Israel. Here's an article you should read.

9. Zev Stern says:

The Constitution (Second Amendment) speaks of a well-regulated militia. If you're in the National Guard, fine – keep a gun at home and carry one around. Ordinary civilians don't need one, and if they have one it's more likely to be used in a tragic accident or in domestic violence than in self-defense. We have entirely too many guns in the wrong hands. Enough already.

10. Melissa From-Chicago says:

Amein!

11. Roc Diaz says:

Chris 'thegoth' Wilcox
    hey schmucko, we shoot in self defense or when we are being attacked, thats what guns are supposed to be used for. the only bad example is your wacked attitude

12. Don Steele says:

You would think that Jews would have learned by now NEVER to trust the authorities..instead they act like obedient little schoolchildren.

13. Hadar Israel says:

The USUAL uninformed B.S.
    It doesn't even take into account the US Constitution, in which driving a car is not a right, hence the DMV can take it away and regulate it, but having a gun is a right.
    Nor it takes into account that a crime like the one committed in Connecticut could not have likely happened in Texas, where carrying a gun is allowed almost everywhere and where criminals KNOW that they get shot at by good citizens.
    Have you noticed that those massacres happen often in states with draconian gun laws, from California, to New York, to Colorado, to Connecticut?
    Nor the writer takes into account that there are much more gun crimes and murders in Chicago (where it is almost impossible for a law abiding citizen to be allowed to carry a gun, only criminals a police do!) than in Dallas; or that Vermont, that even has a Socialist Senator, has NO GUN LAWS AT ALL, that is free sale and everyone can carry, and it is at the last place for violent crime in the US.
    What about Switzerland, where every family has an automatic assault rifle, or Finland, where pistols are as free and as ubiquitous as cell phones?
    It's ALL a matter of EDUCATION!

14. Freedom John says:

Common sense. I can't believe that someone advocates common sense. Where have you been hiding? Thank you. What sends red flags for me is the people that are buying bulletproof vests. What do they need those for? They certainly aren't going to wear them at home. I'd monitor the sale of those.

15. Freedom John says:

I disagree Zev. You're expecting people in the police force or National Guard to be in the McDonalds or grocery store or mall in the event of a criminal in whose hands the gun is probably stolen. They aren't. Police respond to events after they have happened. I carry a gun, am licensed and capable and you'd better hope that someone like me is around if you need it. But then again, I live in a Red state that recognizes the value of having citizens armed. We have far less crime than you do and are not victims. Yes, I carry a gun to Shul and the Rabbi's love me for it.

16. Freedom John says:

17. Freedom John says:

18. Many years ago I was visiting Israel. A relative's gun was missing and he was required to report it to the police station immediately. I was told the police there are tough on anyone who reports a missing gun, as it could have fallen into the wrong hands. Eventually someone else who had borrowed the gun came forward and it was recovered, but the relative was at the police station for hours to deal with the gun loss before it was found. So that is another form of gun control, to require an immediate report of a missing gun.

19. Marie Currie says:

Brilliant man that you are, I wish to see you someday on 'Face The Nation'. YOU, kind Sir would really make all those 'suits' look like the idiots they are. xo!

20. Charlie Hall says:

Texas's violent crime rate is higher than that of New York, a blue state with strict gun laws — 15% as of 2010, the last year for which I could find data.

21. Charlie Hall says:

"When was the last time a violent crime was committed by the trained, legal owner of a licensed and registered gun? "

Jared Loughner purchased his massacre weapon legally, thanks to Arizona's lax gun laws. That should give us all chills.

22. Not at all. Pallies have guns too, beat younger children down, and beat women and rape both… So, of course you shoot at them but not kill them and is rare to kill, so such instance proper when rape children and women. Israelis are not savages -they are Jewish and Obey God's Law.

23. Israeli people have "FULLY-AUTOMATIC" weapons and not semi-automatic weapons in there homes as needed and yes -I agree with assertion Israeli peoples and government are very weapons responsible, Thank You!

24. Gang/Drug related… Shoot them in the back of the head, (call it suicide by-proxy of crime committed), on National T.V. and your gang violence goes down over night.PERIOD!

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
Will Starbucks hire Boycott Movement officials when they find themselves out of work?
Starbucks-SodaStream Link Would Help Destroy BDS
Students in Israel get computers to assist in their schoolwork.

Day schools can have boys and girls participate in the same online class but they don’t meet or interact in “real time.”

Richard Falk, FORMER  United Nations Human Rights Council’s Rapporteur on the Palestinian Territories.

Jews so hostile to their own people they’ve spun out into the orbit of rabid anti-Israeli and pro-Islamic radicalism.

Breaking the Fw:Fw:Fw Chain

Rav Pam said we must realize that God has no pleasure from such negative speech.

NIF support for BDS groups, writes Black, also included acting as a “go between for other donors….

Brandeis, which had to have known about her record of criticism of Islam, pulled the honor after pressure from a Muslim advocacy group and a number of faculty members and students.

Wherever I was invited around the world, I always met with people and let them know that I wanted to hear great stories.

R. Hadaya strongly argues in favor of establishing a festive day in commemoration of the establishment of the state of Israel.

The Palestinian Authority has jailed more than 350 Arabs for “security” reasons in just 2014.

Since Torah is the great equalizer, the great reconciler of divergent but valid opinions, this is also the place where common ground is reached.

Some American Jews feel their community has been hijacked from within by groups waging war against Israel seemingly in the name of the Jewish people.

Jerusalem only seems important in the Islamic world when non-Muslims control or capture the city.

Jordan’s king is adding fuel to the fire on the Temple Mount, blaming Israel for violence by Muslim Arab rioters.

At Brandeis, much of what counts as Western civilization got cold feet and won’t stand with Hirsi Ali.

But the lesson from this meditation is that hidden behind the anti-semitic act is the greatest light.