Remember I told you about the amazing time Hubby and I had at Kosherfest? Well, I’ve been in touch with Yehudith Girshberg, the CEO of the De La Rosa 613 company, and she sent me a bunch of their remarkable products to try out. She is a vegan and believes in eating healthy and using organic and non-GMO products.
I decided to forgo my usual ways of cooking and create some healthy vegan recipes for year 2019! Let me say, it was so much fun to leave my comfort zone and try something new. Hubby absolutely adored the black tahini pie, and with no processed foods or sugar added to the dessert, I was happy to let him nosh on it after supper! The consistency is creamy, rich and delicious. The chickpea pasta was so delicious that we could not even tell the difference. Why load yourself up with unwanted carbs when there are so many healthier alternatives available?
To give a little bit of fascinating background, the company was founded by Rabbi Asher Devere Girshberg, z”l, more than 30 years ago. The goal of the company was always to bring more healthy food alternatives to Jewish consumers.
One item the company introduced was Grape Seed Oil. Rabbi Girshberg found grapeseed oil pills in a pharmacy in France and his research told him that people took these pills to lower their cholesterol. Rabbi Girshberg thought if it worked in a pill, maybe it could also work if people cooked with it – and it does. The oil is very heart healthy and for many years was their best-selling product.
Today, its sales is rivaled in by their Avocado oil and their Organic Balsamic Vinegar. The company is also introducing many new organic vinegars.
Since his passing two years ago, Yehudith runs the company alone. All their products are available through at www.DeLaRosa.com, or on Amazon.com. I hope you enjoy these healthy recipes I created!
Pesto Penne with Heirloom Tomatoes
Low Fat, Vegan, Vegetarian, Parve
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
1 box organic chickpea penne pasta
1 bunch organic fresh parsley
1 garlic clove
⅓ cup sliced almonds
1 heaping tsp De La Rosa White Balsamic Vinegar
⅔ cup De La Rosa Olive Oil
5 tbsp almond milk
1 box heirloom tomatoes
2-3 tsp De La Rosa Avocado Oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a salted pot of water to boil. Cook the chickpea pasta al dente, for around 10 minutes, drain, and place back into the pot.
- In a food processor, blend the garlic and almonds. Add the parsley and the white balsamic vinegar. The white balsamic vinegar will add a touch of acidity and sweetness to the pesto. While the food processor is still going, drizzle the olive oil in slowly.
- Pour the desired amount of pesto into the penne and turn the flame on a low heat. Add the almond milk for creaminess. It will also give the pasta a glossy finishing touch. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sauté the heirloom tomatoes in De la Rosa avocado oil for a few minutes, with seasoning to taste.
- Spoon the sautéed tomatoes on top of the penne.
- Serve with a glass of De la Rosa organic wine.
No-Bake Black Tahini Chocolate Mousse Pie
Vegan, Paleo, Sugar Free, Parve
Prep time: 15 min.
6 pitted dates
½ cup pecans
½ cup rolled oats (not instant)
½ cup toasted coconut
1 tsp. organic pure maple syrup
Pinch of salt
¼ cup melted organic coconut oil
1 bag organic vegan chocolate chips (California Gourmet)
1 can organic coconut milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 heaping tbsp De La Rosa Black Tahini
1 tbsp organic pure maple syrup
- Pour 1 cup boiling water over the dates. Let the dates steep for a few minutes to soften before using, then drain.
- Pour the crust ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until a dough has formed. Press the dough into a 9” round pan. Let the crust chill in the freezer until the filling is ready.
- For the filling, heat the can of coconut milk in a saucepan until just boiled. Place the chocolate chips, vanilla, maple syrup and De la Rosa black tahini in a glass bowl. Pour the warm coconut milk over the top. Let the chocolate mixture sit and steep for 3 minutes. Whisk until a smooth, chocolate ganache is formed.
- Pour into the piecrust, and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve slices at room temperature with fresh seasonal fruit, or organic coconut vegan whipped cream.