August 1, 2015 / 16 Av, 5775

Obama’s Poorly Timed Visit

While such a visit would resolve previous criticism that Obama never visited Israel as president, it is a mistake, especially given the timing, for a number of reasons.
F080723MF14

Photo Credit: Michal Fattal/Flash90

–There is a huge potential for terrible factual mistakes and turns of phrase by Obama that will go down in history. For example, will he say Jerusalem or al-Quds or both? Will he mention the pre-1967 boundaries? Will he speak publicly about Iran’s nuclear threat?

OF COURSE, Obama’s main goal will be to—borrowing a President Bill Clinton phrase—feel both sides pain and cajole them to make peace so that everyone will live happily ever after. This is a noble sentiment but one that’s a bit tired after fruitlessly being mouthed for a half-century.

Speaking of Clinton, let’s remember that on his main presidential visit he told the Palestine National Council to revise its National Covenant (which called for armed struggle and wiping Israel off the map), since that was one of its commitments under the Oslo agreement. They listened to him and then just pretended very cynically to revoke it but didn’t.

Of course, if nobody reports such things then the president doesn’t look bad so perhaps that’s the way an Obama visit will turn out.Note: last June I wrote, asking why Obama wasn’t visiting Israel before the election. At that time we didn’t know he would have a second term. In the article I made three points: he doesn’t like Israel; he feared a poor reception, and he was concerned it would undo his attempt to win support from Arabs and Muslims by distancing himself from Israel. I think all three points still are valid but presumably have been overcome by the following:

He still doesn’t like Israel but figures he has to come once during eight years and perhaps he honestly believes he can appeal to Israel’s people over the heads of its government, having said that he knows what’s best for Israel rather than do its elected representatives;

He also feels he has won enough credibility with Arabs and Muslims (as the “patron” of the Arab Spring and the man to whom the Muslim Brotherhood owes so much), and he’s been reelected so who cares if he is booed a bit. Besides, faced with four more years of Obama the Israeli leadership will be extra careful to try to keep him from being unhappy.

In short, I don’t think my past analysis was wrong, especially because my point was to ask why he didn’t go at a time when it would presumably have benefited him politically. Now he’s going at a time when it might damage the credibility of his policy.

Originally published at Rubin Reports, under the title “Breaking News: President Obama to Visit Israel, the West Bank, and Jordan this Spring.”

About the Author: Professor Barry Rubin is director of the Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center and editor of the Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA) Journal. See the GLORIA/MERIA site at www.gloria-center.org.

7 Responses to “Obama’s Poorly Timed Visit”

1. Redhotchilli Pepper says:

Keep the Festival of unleavened bread close to your heart and may your Passover be a blessing to God. Fast and Pray before a visit from a stranger.

2. Ralph Konrad says:

I'm not Jewish but I do detest Obama. Any visit to Israel is aimed at a political end for him. He has no liking whatsoever for Israel, and may, in fact, be in total accord with those who wish to destroy it. He has inferred that feeling in many ways, and I think, not 100% consciously. I think Israel should make it very clear that neither Kerry, who is a traitor to the USA, nor Obama is welcome there and they should avoid a visit.

3. Ralph Konrad says:

4. Ralph Konrad says:

5. Ralph Konrad says:

6. Ralph Konrad says:

7. Just the opposite is true. This must be a positive public relations maneuver. Friendly gestures are needed .

Israeli soldiers seen praying in the compound of Joseph's Tomb in the Samaria city of Nablus early in November 2009.  Believed to be the final resting place of the Biblical patriach, Joseph's Tomb has seen fierce Israeli-Palestinian. (FILE)
Arab Terrorists Attempt to Torch Joseph’s Tomb
Silhouette of "hilltop settler."

“Yesha” and Binyamin Regional Council leaders said the attack “is not the path of Jews in Judea and Samaria.”

Schwartz-073115

The occasion? The rarely performed mitzvah of pidyon peter chamor: Redemption of a firstborn donkey.

Rabbi YY Rubinstein

American leftists have a pathological self-inflicted blindness to the dangers of political Islam

Tobin-073115

Hillary should THANK Trump; By dominating the news he’s overshadowed the implosion of her campaign

Hard to remember when Jewish youth were so hostile to their heritage as they are on campuses today.

Names of the enablers of Iran’s Nuclear weapons will be added next to Hitler’s on the list of infamy

By most accounts, the one person with the political muscle to swing enough Democratic votes to override a veto is Sen. Schumer.

The next day, in a speech in New York to the Council on Foreign Relations, Mr. Kerry substantially upped the ante.

In Israel, the judiciary has established itself as superior to ALL other branches of the government.

The Fifteenth Day of the month of Av became a day of national rejoicing. The moment that had seemed hopeless became the moment of Redemption.

I think the melodies in our religious services have a haunting sound to them that just permeates your guts and gets into your soul. If you have any musical inclination, I think they inspire you to compose.

Cavalier analogies to the Holocaust are unacceptable, but Huckabee’s analogy was very appropriate.

Pollard was a Jewish-head-on-a-pike for all American Jews to see and to learn the explicit lesson.

If the Iran deal passes, Obama’s WH becomes world’s leading financier of terrorism against Americans