April 20, 2014 / 20 Nisan, 5774
Spa 1.2 Combining Modern Living in Traditional Jerusalem

A unique and prestigious residential project in now being built in Mekor Haim Street in Jerusalem.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »
LONELY AT THE TOP

An Open Letter to Sarah Silverman

I wouldn't be writing these words had your most recent video not been framed in biblical language. Its title held deep significance to me, as I am sure was your intention... I believe I have your number...

Comix Grand Opening 2006

Share Button

Dear Sarah,

You have grown political as of late, and your politics have traction. Your YouTube video “Let My People Vote” has been viewed more than 1.4 million times. You have 3.4 million Twitter followers apparently eager to consume your mix of sexual references and political barbs.

I wouldn’t be writing these words had your most recent video not been framed in biblical language. Its title held deep significance to me, as I am sure was your intention.

Your name is Silverman. My name is Rosenblatt. We both have Jewish ancestors; I am not sure what else we share. You are good at what you do – comedy – and I try to be good at what I do – being a husband, dad, rabbi, and manufacturer of kosher meat. My wife and I are blessed with six children and my day is spent earning for the brood.

You stand out among comedians because your comedy is sharper than theirs. It is crude and clever, simple and punishing; your perception of the human condition is acute, which is why your punch lines bite deeper and hurt longer. You have a knack for finding faults and inconsistencies in people and blowing them wide open with carefully plotted language and cleverly nuanced pauses.

If I were to be gratuitous, I would say you mock what is imperfect because you know what perfect should look like and you seek the ultimate perfection.

But I won’t be so gratuitous. You are in show biz. I am in the rabbi biz. You entertain people. I serve people. I believe I have your number. You will soon turn 42 and your destiny, as you stated, will not include children. You blame it on your depression, saying you don’t want to pass it on to another generation.

I find that confusing, coming from someone as perceptive as you are in dissecting flawed arguments. Surely you appreciate being alive and surely, if the wonder of your womb were afflicted with your weaknesses and blessed with your strengths, it would be happy to be alive, too.

You said you wouldn’t get married until gay people can. Now they can. And you still haven’t married. I think, Sarah, that marriage and childrearing are not in the cards for you because you can’t focus on building life when you spend your days and nights tearing it down.

You have made a career making public that which is private, making crude that which is intimate, making sensual that which is spiritual. You have experienced what traditional Judaism taught long ago: when you make sex a public thing it loses its potency. When the whisper is replaced with a shout there is no magic to speak about. And, in my opinion, Sarah, that is why you have had trouble forging a permanent relationship – the most basic desire of the feminine soul.

Human beings have many acquaintances and fewer friends, but only one spouse. Judaism celebrates the monogamous, intimate relationship with a spouse as the prototype of the intimate relationship with God. Marriage, in Judaism, is holy. Family, in Judaism, is celebrated. But for you, nothing is holy; in your world, nothing is permanent. Your ideology is secular. Your culture may be Jewish, but your mind is not.

I think you have latched on to politics because you are searching for something to build. There is only so much pulling down one can do without feeling utterly destructive. You want to fight for a value so you take your belief – secularism – and promote it. As an Orthodox rabbi, I disagree with just about everything you say, but respect your right to say it. All I ask, respectfully, is that you not use traditional Jewish terminology in your efforts. Because doing so is a lie.

Nothing you say or stand for, Sarah, from your sickening sexual proposal to a Republican donor to your equally vulgar tweet to Mitt Romney, has the slightest thing to do with the most basic of tenets which Judaism has taught the world – that the monogamous relationship is the most meaningful one and that a happy marriage is the key to wholesomeness.

You are driven. You are passionate. I pray that you channel your drive and direct your passion to something positive, something that will make you a better and more positive person, something that will allow you to touch eternity and truly impact the world forever. I pray that you pursue marriage and, if you are so blessed, raise children.

Share Button

About the Author: Yaakov Rosenblatt, the author of two books, is a rabbi and businessman in Dallas.

Leave a comment (Select your commenting platform)

890 Responses to “An Open Letter to Sarah Silverman”

1. Adam Shprintzen says:

Yori Yanover And what of those women who are not able to have a baby? Are they a waste as well? What garbage is being spewed on this pathetic little site and publication.

2. Adam Shprintzen says:

3. Adam Shprintzen says:

4. Adam Shprintzen says:

5. Adam Shprintzen says:

6. Rich Wise says:

Slanderous filth? The rabbit is an idiot – facts are not slander.

7. Shahaf John Klein says:

assuming you are right in all your points, again just assuming. dont you think that you may get your points acrossed if you were a bit more civil? and another question, why are the tolerant liberals can never debate a subject? you guys are always right away start with name calling and become emotional rather then actually debate the merit of the matter?

8. Rich Wise says:

Rabbi is being a cyberbully. My advice to Sarah would be to turn the other cheek. ;0

9. конкретно сегодня я слишком слаб физически и в английском,чтобы осилить. ты обобщи, ты консерватор и за ромни? или чо там после второго абзаца про как ей шутить дальше?

10. I used to live this bull**** that the rabbi spewes, so don't give me any of that twisted logic. You fail to realize that showing anger at injustice and speaking up against it does not equal being an angry person in general. We just have a conscience and want to defend what should be defended (not archaic and misogynist ideas that seek to conform everyone into homogenity under the name of holiness). Bite me.

11. Shaun Duke says:

Meanwhile, you have no problem with the author of the above post suggesting that Sarah Silverman isn't fulfilling her duty (or able to have a fulfilling life) because she hasn't married and become a baby factory yet (and may or may not have the desire to do so in the future). Sexist drivel? Yeehaw. Dad defending his daughter w/o mincing words? How dare you be so uncivil!

We have a name for such things. Bias blinders. They should remain off, thank you very much.

What you're asking is for someone to have a rational debate with someone who has *already* failed to open the discussion civilly and rationally. That's like asking someone to use a TV that someone has bashed with a hammer.

It's fine to want a civil discussion, but that requires civility from *both sides* at the moment of discussion. That was not provided here.

12. That it's not the Torah ideal is IRRELEVANT. That's the whole point lady. Do you fail to see how Sarah has chosen NOT to live under archaic halacha for a reason? That's her private business. The rabbi brought it up – not Sarah -when he attacked her intimate and personal life. "WHO IS HE?" is the real wuestion. Now he has to deal with the backlash. It is BAD to point it out because she obviously DOESN'T want that – and he is pushing her to do it (not that it would ever work). It's blantantly disrespectful!

13. Woody Schulz says:

@Yori: Sir, may I assume that your opinion stated here is the official opinion of the jewish Press?

14. Jordana Brown says:

It most CERTAINLY is relevant. That's the place he's coming from. He's making an observation that may be QUITE true, but that you don't like. Why on Earth are YOU correct? I think he is all good with the backlash- as 99% of it are coming from people who seem to care not a whit about respect, morals or the strictures of the Torah. He is pushing her? He's suggesting an idea he had. It's possible that you have a strong inclination to hate on a rabbi's differing morals (because that's what they are) just as I have the inclination to respect a Torah authority. Be well.

15. Woody Schulz says:

@Donald: Sir, may I say: you rock!

16. Liz Haag says:

Mr. Rosenblatt,

I am sure you do not see yourself as a bad person. I am also sure you have helped many people throughout the course of your life. No person is all bad or all good. Unfortunately this article is bad. It is extremely damaging in ways, that as a man, you will never fully understand.

Your words reinforce a system that values women through the very limited vision of men. Not to say that unfair standards do not appear in the secular community as well, in their own way – they do. But you should be held accountable for your hand in the damage if you are going to speak on behalf of the Jewish community.

It is likely that the views on women, and their roles and choices, voiced in this article are genuinely shared by many of the women in your life. It is also likely, that because of the community they are raised in, they will never be informed of their other options.

However, know this, if your wife or daughters do disagree with you, and want something different for themselves, they will never have be able to tell you, for fear of rejection from you. Because of this, you will always live in a world that risks dishonesty. It is this type of subtle bullying, “slut shaming” as it has come to be known (a phrase that well represents the vulgarity of which it describes) and manipulation that has allowed women to be controlled by men for so long. It is the reason that so many Jewish women have issues dating and marrying so many Jewish men. These misogynistic ideas have been drilled into their heads since they were boys. It’s enough. The time for these ideas have come and gone.

Please know, from Jewish women that worship differently from you: You are officially as irrelevant to us, as you have shown us we are to you. Tonight I will pray for your daughters.

All the best.

dear rabbi,
    As I understand the laws of tochacha (rebuke), a person must being given rebuke 'available' to receive the words of rebuke, and they should come from a place of loving- kindness.
    Respectfully, I don't believe the manner that you delivered your message meet this criteria.
    Word such as these ought to be delivered in person, where there is the best chance to 'know' id someone is available to receive such words.
    You may believe that your words do in fact come from a place of love, and its not so much an issue of your opinion, but I believe that what you may have done is plant the seeds for more 'baseless hatred'. Please consider as it makes my job to bring about tikun olam more difficult.

Leib Getzel

18. Liz Haag says:

Mr. Rosenblatt,

However, know this, if your wife or daughters do disagree with you, and want something different for themselves, they will never be able to tell you, for fear of rejection from you. Because of this, you will always live in a world that risks dishonesty. It is this type of subtle bullying, “slut shaming” as it has come to be known (a phrase that well represents the vulgarity of which it describes) and manipulation that has allowed women to be controlled by men for so long. It is the reason that so many Jewish women have issues dating and marrying so many Jewish men. These misogynistic ideas have been drilled into their heads since they were boys. It’s enough. The time for these ideas have come and gone.

All the best.

19. Liz Haag says:

Mr. Rosenblatt,

All the best.

20. Idiot (the one name he called you) a stupid person.
    I believe he used the right name for you. You make me sad.

21. Idiot (the one name he called you) a stupid person.
    I believe he used the right name for you. You make me sad.

22. I think you're the kinda woman that makes Rosenlatt hard.

23. The "open letter" is the vulgar posting. It's the content that is important not the words. Cum.

24. How is it up there all by yourself?

25. How is it up there all by yourself?

26. You are projecting anger into what you read. For the most part there is no anger in the comments denouncing Rosy. Remember that through all Rosys condensation he is trying to start a fight.
    I would never condescend to anyone that I wanted to get through to.

27. Rosy made much more of a vulgar assault in his open letter than any word could conger up.

28. Shahaf John Klein says:

disagree completely

29. Shahaf John Klein says:

he is not by himself, but i guess if you are not a bleeding liberal you are thought if being by yourself

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
Ukraine Shul Firebombed
Ukrainian Synagogue Firebombed (Video)
Imam Suhail Webb who boasted his Muslim community persuaded Brandeis President Fred Lawrence to withdraw an invitation to Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

At Brandeis, much of what counts as Western civilization got cold feet and won’t stand with Hirsi Ali.

Text of anti-Semitic flyer distributed to Jews in Donetsk, Ukraine on Passover 2014.

But the lesson from this meditation is that hidden behind the anti-semitic act is the greatest light.

Yossi Klein HaLevi

As support of their messianic dream, Halevi and Antepli approve dishonoring Hirsi Ali as a ‘renegade.’

matza

If itis a mitzva to eat matza all Pesach, then why is there no berakha attached to it?

When we are united with unconditional love, no stone will be raised against us by our enemies.

The reporter simply reports the news, but it is greater to be inspired to better the situation.

The Big Bang theory marked the scientific community’s first sense of the universe having a beginning.

Freeing convicted murderers returns the status of Jewish existence to something less than sanctified.

“The bigger they are the harder they fall” describes what God had in mind for Olmert.

We, soldiers of the IDF, who stand guard over the people and the land, fulfill the hopes of the millions of Jewish people across the generations who sought freedom.

How much is the human mind able to grasp of the Divine?

Jews have brought the baggage of the galut (exile) mentality to the modern state of Israel.

The Haggadah is an instruction manual on how to survive as strangers in strange lands.

It’s finally happened. New York Times public editor Margaret Sullivan reported on her blog that “many readers…wrote to object to an [April 2] article…on the breakdown in peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians,” claiming “[they] found the headline misleading and the article itself lacking in context.” Ms. Sullivan provided one such letter, quoted the […]

Nor did it seem relevant that according to widely circulated media reports, Rev. Sharpton was caught on an FBI surveillance video discussing possible drug sales with an FBI agent.

More Articles from Rabbi Yaakov Rosenblatt
F110716MT01

The words over the yeshiva’s main doors used to be in English.

Rosenblatt-020813

I recently purchased a Glock 19. It is my first Glock but second firearm. My first is a slim, black pocket pistol, a Ruger LC9, which we keep in our safe. I practice shooting from time to time and trained for a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) as well.

I wouldn’t be writing these words had your most recent video not been framed in biblical language. Its title held deep significance to me, as I am sure was your intention…

Many people have a problem with the Chick-fil-A chain of chicken restaurants. Universities have asked it to leave campus cafeterias and mayors have tried to ban it from their cities. The Jewish mayor of Chicago summed up his displeasure by saying “Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values.”

I am haredi. I was born in Brooklyn, went to mainstream haredi elementary and high schools, spent two years in Mir Yerushalayim and attended kollel at Beth Medrash Govoha in Lakewood, New Jersey. I wear a black hat on Shabbos and dark pants and a white shirt much of the week. My yarmulke is large, black and velvet, and being a frum and inspired Jew is my most basic self-definition, on par with being human and male.

“The Scream,” a unique and evocative painting by Norwegian artist Edvard Munch (1863-1944), sold recently at Sotheby’s for nearly $120,000,000. The price was attributed to its being the last of four editions still in private hands and the fact that it has been an icon of Western culture for over a century. The colors are vivid, the mood is stark, and the being on the bridge is overwhelmed by his surroundings. It captures a man alone in a world awry.

Tonight I installed an Internet filter. I have always disliked filters as they slow down my computer and have been an annoyance. But the asifa at Citi Field focused my attention and an extra safeguard is worth infinitely more than the discomfort it engenders.

Half a year after our marriage in 1997, my parents called and said they couldn’t attend the Agudath Israel of America convention and had extra tickets. Would my wife and I want to go in their place? We were newlyweds in every sense of the word and cherished the opportunity of a new experience. “Certainly,” we said and made the trek from Lakewood to Parsippany in the state of New Jersey.

Now that Kerry's "Peace Talks" are apparently over, are you...?

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/dear-sarah-silverman/2012/10/11/