February 28, 2015 / 9 Adar , 5775

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

Sorry I Neglected your Jewish Identity, Cousin

A letter to my American cousin who's going out with an Italian girl.
my cousin

We are sorry that our idea of contributing to kiruv has been limited to buying a ticket in an Oorah raffle. Oorah is great, but that should be just the beginning, not the end of our involvement in helping people like you see the beauty of our tradition.

Dan, I am sorry that Judaism as you know it is an empty shell and so you have no qualms about leaving it behind. I and my community are at fault that you never got to experience the beauty of Shabbos, the intellectual pleasure of Torah learning, or the inspiration of Rosh Hashana davening. With the days of teshuva upon us, I will make an effort to right my ways. It may be too little too late for you, but at least there is hope for our younger cousins.

Your parents think that Birthright will remedy 20 year of neglect. I am just not willing to take that bet any more.

Leah Aharoni is a cofounder of the grassroots movement WomenForTheWall.org, dedicated to preserving the sanctity and tradition at the Western Wall in the spirit of Jewish unity. A business coach, she helps female entrepreneurs build profitable and emotionally rewarding businesses. Aharoni lives with her husband and six children in a suburb of Jerusalem.

About the Author:

7 Responses to “Sorry I Neglected your Jewish Identity, Cousin”

1. Dan Silagi says:

Kudos to the Jewish Press for publishing this piece of racist rubbish. It lets everyone see exactly what the Women For the Wall is all about.

2. Fantastic piece. I needed to be said and it gives us all something to think about as we go into Aseret Yemei Teshuva; what Teshuva really means and how we can sincerely help our cousins for disappearing from the Chain of Generations.

3. Dan Silagi says:

It's a far bigger crime against Torah (and against humanity) to deny Jewish women the right to pray as they see fit at Judaism's holiest site than it is for a Jewish guy to date an Italian woman. In fact, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Mazeltov to this other Dan and his girlfriend.

4. leah_aharoni says:

szysgt thank you

5. truthseekr says:

At this season, I pray for people like Dan to look into Torah to see how G0d, through Moshe, appointed men to be Cohenim and Levites at the Temple. Women have separate roles and are not required to pray in minyans out of siddurim. We are merited, like Hannah, to pray from our hearts to G0d’s ears. He hears the cries of women; we do not need to, nor should we, imitate men in their imitation of Levites.

6. Brian Kent says:

Excellent article!

7. Stewart Schwartz says:

I assume you cannot read and understand Hebrew, Dan.

18,000 Iranian Centrifuges
Reducing Iran’s Number of Centrifuges Makes a Bomb More Likely
Netanyahu in a previous address to Congress-

Bibi’s speech to Congress will bring respect and honor to the Jewish Nation from the US & the world

Korenblit-022715

Obama & Putin have handwriting/signature clues indicating differences between public & private life

Councilman David Greenfield

It’s time for a new Jewish policy regarding Ramallah, NOT just because of the yarmulke incident

Levmore-022715

“GETT’s” being screened for Israeli Rabbinical Court judges at their annual convention.

If Jackson were alive he’d denounce Democratic party’s silence towards virulent anti-Semitism

Victim of Palestinian Arab terrorism, a victor in NY federal court, after years of being ignored by Justice Dept.

March 2013: Arabs hurled stones hitting the Biton’s car; Adele’s mother swerved the car-into a truck

The real issue is that in many respects the president has sought to recalibrate American values and our system of government.

Former Connecticut senator Joe Lieberman, writing in the Washington Post on Sunday, provided one of the clearest and most compelling analyses we’ve seen of the importance of the prime minister’s speech.

A central concept in any discussion about happiness is achieving clarity. “Ain simcha ela k’hataras hasefeikos” – there is no joy as that experienced with the removal of doubt.

“Je Suis..,” like its famous origin 400 years ago, implies the ability & freedom to think & question

Many anti-Israel demonstrations at universities have a not-so-latent anti-Semitic agenda as well

Believing a few “extremists” hijacked Islam is myopic in history and geography, numbers and scope

More Articles from Guest Author
Havdalah

Havdalah.com will be streaming an inspiring/live/MUSICAL/global Havdalah(NOT to fulfill obligation)

idc

The interdisciplinary center has created an educational system that combines academic tuition with a strong commitment to social issues.

Israel’s political system prevents bold economic reforms. Economist Gilad Alper offers 5 grand moves

Our journey begins by attempting to see things differently, only then can we be open to change.

I prayed throughout. My plan is to make Aliya and I pray my family can join me in Israel quickly

It has been a very challenging year that has taken a toll on the Cohen family.

I was touched by his words on the struggle to stand up for Israel.

A Tribute to Rabbi Joseph Grunblatt zt”l

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/sorry-i-neglected-your-jewish-identity-cousin/2013/09/02/