January 30, 2015 / 10 Shevat, 5775

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

Sorry I Neglected your Jewish Identity, Cousin

A letter to my American cousin who's going out with an Italian girl.
my cousin

We are sorry that our idea of contributing to kiruv has been limited to buying a ticket in an Oorah raffle. Oorah is great, but that should be just the beginning, not the end of our involvement in helping people like you see the beauty of our tradition.

Dan, I am sorry that Judaism as you know it is an empty shell and so you have no qualms about leaving it behind. I and my community are at fault that you never got to experience the beauty of Shabbos, the intellectual pleasure of Torah learning, or the inspiration of Rosh Hashana davening. With the days of teshuva upon us, I will make an effort to right my ways. It may be too little too late for you, but at least there is hope for our younger cousins.

Your parents think that Birthright will remedy 20 year of neglect. I am just not willing to take that bet any more.

Leah Aharoni is a cofounder of the grassroots movement WomenForTheWall.org, dedicated to preserving the sanctity and tradition at the Western Wall in the spirit of Jewish unity. A business coach, she helps female entrepreneurs build profitable and emotionally rewarding businesses. Aharoni lives with her husband and six children in a suburb of Jerusalem.

About the Author:

7 Responses to “Sorry I Neglected your Jewish Identity, Cousin”

1. Dan Silagi says:

Kudos to the Jewish Press for publishing this piece of racist rubbish. It lets everyone see exactly what the Women For the Wall is all about.

2. Fantastic piece. I needed to be said and it gives us all something to think about as we go into Aseret Yemei Teshuva; what Teshuva really means and how we can sincerely help our cousins for disappearing from the Chain of Generations.

3. Dan Silagi says:

It's a far bigger crime against Torah (and against humanity) to deny Jewish women the right to pray as they see fit at Judaism's holiest site than it is for a Jewish guy to date an Italian woman. In fact, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Mazeltov to this other Dan and his girlfriend.

4. leah_aharoni says:

szysgt thank you

5. truthseekr says:

At this season, I pray for people like Dan to look into Torah to see how G0d, through Moshe, appointed men to be Cohenim and Levites at the Temple. Women have separate roles and are not required to pray in minyans out of siddurim. We are merited, like Hannah, to pray from our hearts to G0d’s ears. He hears the cries of women; we do not need to, nor should we, imitate men in their imitation of Levites.

6. Brian Kent says:

Excellent article!

7. Stewart Schwartz says:

I assume you cannot read and understand Hebrew, Dan.

Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz.
Sen. Cruz Asks if Obama Behind V-15 ‘Political Campaign against Netanyahu’
Israeli-flag

At some point we need to stop simply defending and promoting Israel and start living in Israel

Rabbi Berel Wein

“We Jews are the only people who when we drop a book on the floor pick it up and kiss it.”

Rabbi Sholom Klass

Though Zaide was the publisher of The Jewish Press, a big newspaper,I always remember him learning

Sheldon Silver

Speaker Silver has been an extraordinary public servant since his election to the Assembly in 1975 and has been an exemplary leader of that body since 1994.

He spent the first leg of his daylong visit to the French capital at Hyper Cacher.

Drawing Congress into the Iran nuclear debate is the last thing the White House wants.

Great leaders like Miriam and like Sarah Schenirer possess the capacity to challenge the status quo that confronts them.

Obama’s foreign policy is viewed by both liberals and conservatives as deeply flawed

Many journalists are covertly blaming the Charlie Hebdo writers themselves through self-censorship.

Why does the Times relay different motivations and narratives for jihadists in Europe and Israel?

To defeat parasites-the hosts of terrorists-we need to deny them new people, potential terrorists

Combating Amalek doesn’t mean all who disagree with you is evil-rather whom to follow and to oppose

Desperate people take what they can, seizing opportunity to advance their main goal; the Arabs don’t

There was a glaring void in the President’s State of the Union speech: Israel.

More Articles from Guest Author
Social Media pic

Our journey begins by attempting to see things differently, only then can we be open to change.

Police enter HyperCacher

I prayed throughout. My plan is to make Aliya and I pray my family can join me in Israel quickly

It has been a very challenging year that has taken a toll on the Cohen family.

I was touched by his words on the struggle to stand up for Israel.

A Tribute to Rabbi Joseph Grunblatt zt”l

Until you come to see it in person, enjoy Jerusalem’s Botanical Garden virtually via this video!

After four earthquakes shake Israel in one week, experts debate whether the big one is imminent.

The art show represents its theme, the identity of joy in Judaism.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/sorry-i-neglected-your-jewish-identity-cousin/2013/09/02/