This activity-packed day of exploring and learning about the Jewish history of Manhattan’s Lower East Side includes
three walking tours of the neighborhood, a vintage goods benefit sale sponsored by “Gals From The Hood”.
Events kick off at 10:45 AM at the LESJC Kling & Niman Family Visitor Center:
90 minute Tours: “Bialystoker the Beautiful” at 10:45 AM and 3:00 PM. Visits the magnificent Bialystoker Synagogue, which was built in 1826 as a Methodist church, and Congregation Beth Hachasidim De Polen (a 19th Century shtiebl, or prayer room).
Also, “Crossing Delancey” at 10:45 AM which examines three of the oldest synagogues in New York City: Congregation Chasam Sopher (built in 1853); the Orensanz Foundation (formerly Congregation Anshe Chesed, built in 1850); and Congregation B’nei Jacob Anshei Brzezan, one of only two remaining tenement style synagogues left on the Lower East Side. Tickets for either tour are $12 for adults, $10 for seniors and students and free for children under age 8.
The festivities continue at 12:30 PM at the Kling & Niman Family Visitor Center with Gals From the Hood, a presentation about what life was like for Jewish women on the Lower East Side. In this engaging presentation, four women who grew up together on the Lower East Side, and have remained friends for over 50 years, discuss the experiences of their families in the neighborhood. Panelists include Hesta Fortgang, (co-owner of Tag-Along Estate Sales), Marilyn Guss Altman (daughter of the founder of Guss’s Pickles), Carol Schneider Margolin (daughter of the K’nish Man) and Carol Hordin (daughter of the founder of Hordin’s Deli). At 1:30 PM Artist Shoshanah Brombacher will give a live presentation of her works for her new show on display in our Visitor Center, “Colors of Chanukah.” Her works will be on view at the festival, and open to the public in the Visitor Center.