Egyptian armed forces bombed several sites in Sinai on Saturday in the largest military campaign in the area since the 1970 war with Israel, Ma’an reports.
Army helicopters launched airstrikes on 12 locations north Sinai, targeting sites where terrorists had been storing vehicles and weapons.
Egyptian forces also took control of a terrorist communications center, a security official told Ma’an.
Witnesses told Ma’an that several houses were seen on fire following the air raids.
Dozens of people are believed to have been injured in the airstrikes, with earlier reports saying that a man had been killed.
An Egyptian army official said earlier that the large-scale operation was launched to “clean all the villages in Rafah and Sheikh Zuweid area from dangerous terrorists.”
On Tuesday, Egyptian army helicopters killed 15 suspected terrorists after launching missile strikes in Sinai.
Since the military coup that toppled Morsi after massive nationwide protests against his rule, terrorists have been launching almost daily attacks on Egyptian army and police in Sinai.
About the Author: JewishPress.com brings you the latest in Jewish news from around the world. Stay up to date by following up on Facebook and Twitter. Do you have something noteworthy to report? Submit your news story to us here.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.