Chanukah is definitely a holiday of lights, but not of light cooking. Here is the first in a series of Chanukah dishes from different Jewish communities from around the world:
Moroccan Sfenj (sfinge / sfinj / donut)
1 KG sifted flour
50 g fresh yeast
2 tsp salt
3 tbs sugar
3 cups of warm water
Oil for frying
Sugar powder for garnish
How to prepare:
1. In dry bowl mix flour with salt and sugar
2. In the middle of the bowl create a little dimple and add the yeast.
3. Slowly add the warm water while mixing until you have soft dough.
4. Cover bowl with clean towel and let rise for 1.5-2 hours.
5. In frying pan warm the oil until boil, and then lower the oil flame to medium.
6. With wet hands, form the sfenj like a bagel and fry.
7. Let fry until golden on both sides and remove to a paper towel.
8. Serve warm with sugar powder or honey.