Prime Minister / Defense Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened an emergency security meeting at the IDF Kirya military headquarters in Tel Aviv Thursday night following a rocket attack fired at central Israel from Gaza.
— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) March 14, 2019
The Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror organization has denied responsibility for the launch of two Iranian Fajr rockets, both of them aimed at Tel Aviv. Earlier in the evening, sources said the terror group had claimed responsibility for the attacks; that report was later found to be false.
The Iron Dome anti-missile defense system was triggered by one of the rockets over the city; the second rocket landed in an open area outside the city.
There were no immediate reports of physical injuries or property damage. However, at least six people were treated for shock, and a 10-year-old boy suffered minor injuries in Bnei Brak while running for a shelter.
The Red Alert incoming rocket siren sent residents in the entire Gush Dan region racing for safe spaces and shelters.
Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai ordered all public shelters opened in the wake of the attack, as did the mayors of other cities in central Israel.
The heads of Gaza’s ruling Hamas terrorist organization evacuated all of its headquarters in the enclave in anticipation of a likely military response to the attack by the Israel Defense Forces later in the evening.
Egypt’s mission to Gaza has also been reported to be evacuating from the enclave as well. Arab media reported that Israel warned Egypt officials to evacuate their personnel from Gaza as soon as possible.
IDF Home Front Command said in a statement on Galei Tzahal Army Radio Thursday night that “for the time being, residents should maintain their daily routine as usual. We will update the public if there is any change to the situation.”