VARIATION: Add some color with 1/2 cup chopped red pepper, 1/2 cup chopped green pepper and 1/4 cup sliced green scallions.
NOTE: If serving as a side dish together with another protein, you may want to replace 1 egg yolk with 2 egg whites or use Egg Beaters.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Syrian Cucumber-Mint Soup can be served as a sauce over this souffle.
YIELD: 10 servings
Cheese Balls – Carb Free, Low Fat (Dairy) From Nechama Cohen, Jewish Diabetes Association Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups farmer cheese
- 1/2 cup 5% soft white cheese, or low-fat ricotta (well-drained)
- 1 cup low-fat grated yellow cheese (muenster, chedder, etc.)
- 1/4 cup scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet or sharp paprika
- 1/3 cup minced dill
- 1/3 cup minced parsley
- 1/3 cup roasted nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted sesame seeds
Preparation: 1. Mix all the ingredients together and refrigerate for 30 minutes. 2. Form the mixture into small balls and roll in any or all of the garnishes. 3. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days. It is not recommended to prepare these in advance and freeze.
VARIATIONS: 1. Sweet Variation: Omit scallions. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and roll in cinnamon. 2. Chinese Variation: For a Chinese twist, use 1 tablespoon light soy sauce instead of the Worcestershire and roll in minced fresh ginger.
YIELD: 17 servings
NUTRITION FACTS: serving size (ball): 1 (oz): 1 (g): 30 calories: 41 protein (g): 5 carbs (g): 0.9 fat(g): 2 sat. fat (g): 1.2 cholesterol (mg): 5 sodium (mg): 110 calcium (mg): 96 fiber (g): 0 Exchange – medium-fat protein: 1/2
Syrian Cucumber Mint Soup – Low Carb, Fat Free (Dairy) From Nechama Cohen, Jewish Diabetes Association Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes Ingredients:
- 3 small cucumbers
- 3 (8-ounce) containers plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 ounces fat-free soft white cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped (or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried mint)
- a few extra mint leaves
- Peel cucumbers. Cut into tiny pieces and set aside. 2. In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, combine the yogurt, cheese, salt garlic, pepper and mint. 3. Add the prepared cucumbers. Mix and correct seasoning. 4. Garnish with more mint.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve as a sauce over Zucchini Souffle.
- YIELD: 6 servings
- NUTRITION FACTS: serving size (cuo): 1 (oz): 6 (g): 180 calories: 60 protein (g): 6.3 carbs (g): 3.3 fat(g): 0.3 sat. fat (g): 0 cholesterol (mg): 0 sodium (mg): 278 calcium (mg): 170 fiber (g): 1 Exchange: lean protein/milk 1, free vegetable ½
Low Calorie Cheesecake Ingredients:
- 3 tnuva cheeses
- 2 T light sour cream
- 5 egg whites, whipped
- 3-4 T xylitol
- ½ pkg sugar free pudding
- 3 T flour
Mix all together and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour