October 21, 2014 / 27 Tishri, 5775
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

I Love Jewish Women!

Our sages teach it was the women of Israel that saved the nation from Egypt.

P3300783

That’s right. I love Jewish women. Especially my wife. The last time she came back from a family wedding in chutz l’aretz, I met her at the airport with a bouquet of flowers and a balloon, “I Love You.”

Some readers in the Diaspora think I’m a monster, but I’m really a sweetheart. Ask my wife. I agree with her in everything. That way we never have fights. If she says I’m grouchy, I don’t argue. I know it’s really G-d telling me that I’m grouchy, speaking through my wife. So I try to be less grouchy and smile more around the house. And if she tells me I’m cheap, then I go out and buy her a dress. I’m happy with her every criticism, because I know it’s all coming from G-d to make me a better person.

I didn’t go with my wife to the wedding in New York, because I can’t breathe there. I feel like there’s no air. It’s not because of the pollution – I feel the same way in Colorado. It’s because there’s no holiness in the air in America. If I have to leave the Land of Israel, I’m like E.T. the Extra Terrestial, who couldn’t breathe in the Earth’s atmosphere. I feel like I’m suffocating. The only way I can survive there is by taking a tank of oxygen with me wherever I go, filled with air from the Land of Israel. So I just don’t bother to go.

Actually, Rabbi Kook teaches that it’s really a blessing if you can’t tolerate the air in the Diaspora, and if everything there seems foreign to you. It’s a sign that a person has made a living connection to the holiness of the Land of Israel, and that his soul can’t tolerate to be anywhere else. That’s the way all Jews should feel. But Diasporians who were born there and grew up without any holiness in the air, they don’t notice that it’s missing. They’re used to living in a place without holiness. Compared with Eretz Yisrael, the Diaspora is a different planet.

Remember the video of the guy who jumped out from some space capsule last year and plummeted miles and miles toward Earth before opening his parachute? For me the thought of leaving the Land of Israel is just as terrifying. I feel so lucky to be here in the Land of Israel, I never want to leave.

But getting back to Jewish women – you have to love them. After all, they saved us in Egypt. That what our Sages tell us – we were saved from extinction in Egypt because of the righteousness of our women. It was the fearless bravery on the part of Miriam and Yocheved in not following the orders of Pharaoh to kill the male babies that saved the Jewish Nation. Also, when the men were crushed under the burdens of slavery, and fell to the lowest levels, their wives strengthened them and kept bearing children, so that the more the Egyptians tortured us, the stronger we grew.

And when we left Egypt, it was only the men who listened to the Spies in the wilderness and refused to travel on to Eretz Yisrael. All of the women made aliyah, which shows that Jewish women are smarter than Jewish men, which is another reason why we should listen to them.

We owe our women so much, no matter whatever they might do to upset us, we can never pay them back for all the good they’ve done for us. I love my wife so much. You know what? I’m going out right now to buy her a new dress. She deserves it.

Your wife deserves it too.

About the Author: Tzvi Fishman was awarded the Israel Ministry of Education Prize for Creativity and Jewish Culture for his novel "Tevye in the Promised Land." For the past several years, he has written a popular and controversial blog at Arutz 7. A wide selection of his books are available at Amazon. The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of The Jewish Press

10 Responses to “I Love Jewish Women!”

1. Tzvi Fishman says:

I would like to apologize for the photo of the 2 women that the editors chose to accompany this blog. It is not the photo which I submitted.

2. Liad Bar-el says:

Some how I get the feeling that……….. Nah, can't be.

Tell us the truth, Tzvi, was this blog posted to get you out of the dog house for not going with your wife to America? :-)

Wow, how refreshing. I though you had to go to a shiur for women to hear this kind of talk. If only all husbands and wives would mechazek each other this way we could come a step closer to the Geulah. ourfavoritecharities.org

4. I reside in the Land of Israel and feel just as much in the Galut (Exile) in Israel as in the USA, if not more. When most of the labor is Arab labor including bus drivers, how can one feel otherwise? When your own people do not treat you equally, how can one feel otherwise? I am an expert proofreader and cannot find a job due to the fact that I do not have the right connections. Certain individuals, when I met them in person, offered to help me find a job in proofreading and writing and told me to e-mail them about the job but never responded to my e-mails after several times. Why? Due to the fact that they do not want to jeopardize their own jobs. Tzvi, with all due respect, how can you preach to those outside of Israel to make aliyah when they are already established with good jobs in their countries, especially in the USA or in Canada? Tzvi, you have a good job in Israel. If you are willing to help others who make aliyah find jobs, then you have a right to preach to them. Until then, you do not!

5. Tzvi Fishman says:

I could have stayed in Hollywood and made big money writing for film and TV. Instead I live in the Holy Land working as a simple translator and thanking G-d every day that I am here. I have a friend who was a nuclear engineer in Russia who drives a taxi in Israel. Another friend has a doctorate in social work and makes ends meet by working as a tour guide. Another good friend was the rabbi of a congregation in LA and today he teaches new olim in a Hebrew ulpan. Yes, it is not always easy, but if you feel like life in Israel is the same as the USA, perhaps that is the problem. I am sure if you deepen your inner attachment to Israel, the blessing of making a living will open up for you as well. I suggest reading our study of Rabbi Kook, "Eretz Yisrael" for a deeper, more spiritual connection to Israel. Hatzlachah!

6. Liad Bar-el says:

Simcha, it all depends on your heart felt intentions……of which HaShem will give you according to your desires be they good or bad. I wanted to go and live in Israel so much that I and my wife left good paying jobs, had two cars, my wife was 8 months pregnant and EL AL does not allow anyone to fly past 7 months, there was a hospital strike in Israel which we knew about before leaving America, we had no jobs waiting for us in Israel, etc, etc, etc. I went to AACI (Association of American & Canadians in Israel) to look for a job. I, with five higher graduate degrees & diplomas, started out in a high tech place with minimum salary doing menial work of filling disks with capacitors by hand for R&D testing. A medical doctor from the USSR was soldering the ends of those capacitors, a USSR dentist was working as a guard and there were many others with similar profiles trying to make a life in Israel. We all had the heart felt intentions of living in the Holy Land and willing to accept any kind of work so as to make this happen. It seemed that none of us were born with a silver spoon in his mouth. As the saying goes, the greater the effort, the greater the reward and eventually, we all found jobs in our professions. If one is looking for an excuse to not make a life in Israel, he will find it very easily. Emunah is the word one needs to learn and to face himself in the mirror as to what is truly in his heart.

7. Tzvi, I have lived in Israel for 18 years and still cannot find a job. I came to Israel with a very positive attitude and felt differently about living in Israel until I already lived here for several years. My family and I are still here, so it shows I haven't given up. I would love to be a translator. I am an expert proofreader and am fluent in both English and Hebrew. As one who works in the field and with your "Ahavat Yisrael", why don't you help me find a job? Believe me, you have a much better job than I do.

8. Tzvi Fishman says:

Please send me a resume and I'll pass it on to a few friends. Send to fishman11@bezeqint.net. Hatzlachah.

9. Tzvi Fishman says:

10. Grace Acosta says:

Can you help me find a job for my husband? He's a shochet, and he just got laid off from his job at AgriProcessors (formerly Rubaskin). They have so many shochtim coming in from Israel who will work for half the price, that he can't compete.

We'd love to make Aliyah, but with a special needs daughter it will be very difficult to move without any parnossa. Our dream is to live in Tzfat, where I can sell my jewelry designs in the Artist Colony.

Tzvi Fishman, author of the Jewish Press blog Felafel on Rye and author of more than a dozen books.
Facebook post from man believed to be Canadian convert to Islam who rammed soldiers with his car in possible terrorist attack, Oct. 20, 2014.
‘Radicalized’ Convert to Islam Attempted to Murder Canadian Soldiers [video]
Statue of King David

Though secular, Hitman’s CV includes writing music for, recording, and popularizing religious songs.

256px-Israel-Palestine_flags.svg

Polls indicate that the Palestinians are much more against a two state solution than the Israelis.

Doug Goldstein

Has the Jewish world adapted to the times? Hear the answer with Doug and his guest, Rabbi Berel Wein.

NY rally against Met Opera's 'Death of Klinghoffer' opera. Sept. 22, 2014.

Leon Klinghoffer’s daughters: “‘Klinghoffer’ is justified as ‘a work of art’…This is an outrage.”

Kids bring in the light and let out the darkness through breathing exercises; it changes people.

If I make a million dollars in 2 weeks, how can I observe something like this and sit by quietly?”

Sometimes collective action against the heinous acts of the majority is not enough. The world should not only support the blockade of Gaza; it must enforce the dismantling of Hamas.

How long will it take for Israel and the Jewish World to admit that we are in very serious danger?

How do changes in technology affect the human life and our interactions with each other?

Palestinians (and Jordanians) often use the term “provocation” regarding Israeli action in Jerusalem

The zealots who engineered the ban have been publicly disgraced.

I am sick and tired of this one way street boycott! Time to boycott all products developed or invented in the Palestinian controlled areas! Let’s start with……umm….

Such an incredible miracle to have Israel, it’s crazy that every Jew isn’t clamoring to live here!

Driving is cultural. I come from a place with incredibly polite and safe drivers, unlike Israel.

My difficulties persisted until I met a beggar outside a restaurant after Tisha B’Av 12 years ago.

I’m more worried about the dangers of the Palestine virus than the Ebola one.