September 24, 2014 / 29 Elul, 5774
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

A Muslim Perspective: Boston’s Tragedy Must Not Generate More Hate

I also would like to strongly criticize those who express joy at the sight of horror in America.

A rally of Stop the Islamization of America (SIOA).

A rally of Stop the Islamization of America (SIOA).

First and foremost, my prayers go out to the victims and their families in Boston. Just like we have a hard time understanding psychologically unhealthy people, we cannot understand what kind of man can be at war with innocents. History has witnessed many sick people leading others to commit atrocities, but there is one thing for certain; whatever the perpetrator or perpetrators might profess as a religion, they are not believers. If someone is capable of killing innocent people without so much as blinking an eye, then they are murderers with no fear of God. That is indisputable.

However, whenever there is a bombing or a mass shooting in public places like the atrocity in Sandy Hook School in Newtown, Connecticut, or the Aurora, Colorado massacre, or the 2011 Norway massacre, and many more, the worlds’ collective gaze shifts to “Muslims,” and some begin to express hateful sentiments even before the perpetuators are announced.

Just as it has become reflexive reaction in the Western world, to associate any attacks on civilians with Muslims, Muslims also hurry up to denounce the violence and want to make clear to the whole world that it is a violation of Islam, in case the murderer happens to have a Muslim identity.

Since these are times when emotions are high and people want quick justice, they sometimes seek targets to direct their anger. But inciting hatred, raising conflict and enmity, hatemongering, engaging in one-sided, aggressive propaganda and creating a climate of hysteria, or using the internet to incite a lynch mob, are also crimes.

As we have witnessed in the latest attack, while some react with common sense, others pour out words of hate targeting all Arabs and labeling all Muslims as potential murderers. For instance, a Fox News contributor—whether seriously or as satire—had the audacity to state that Muslims “…are evil…Let’s kill them all.” And I read a good many comments suggesting the extermination of Muslims.

But even if these voices are merely the ones being highlighted, these are still the voices of a minority, and very extreme examples at that. Some act this way because of pain and fear; others lack dignity and or even humanity in their soul – they are simply psychopaths.

While I say this, I also would like to strongly criticize those who express joy at the sight of horror in America, just because they think the American government’s foreign policies are wrong. On the other hand, I watched an Egyptian “cleric” saying this attack was definitely a jihad by mujahideen, adding that their execution was amateurish, and so it could not have been an Al-Qaida operation.

This chilling mindset is as horrifying to me, as a devout Muslim, as it is to any Westerner. The use of the concept of “jihad” for acts of aggression against innocent people is a great distortion of the true meaning of the term. Jihad—meaning to strive, to show an effort—is about telling people about Islam with knowledge, culture, love, affection and compassion; and to tell people the truth kindly, to treat them warmly, to respect their ideas, not to be ruthless toward them or shed blood, kill or hurt people or kill oneself.

I gave these two extreme examples because they do not represent the majority, and those who expressed them had no right to manipulate public feelings or opinion. Hatred and anger are likely to prevent people from thinking soundly and making just decisions. People can be inclined to injustice and cannot conduct themselves rationally when they let their anger guide their actions and words. So let us not accuse innocent people of acts they have never committed, or bear false witness against them. Let us keep some common sense, maintain our balance, and let us not give people the grounds to provoke. Even if they raise their voices, let us not permit them to misuse horrific atrocities to spread their poisonous and malicious propaganda.

About the Author: Sinem Tezyapar is an executive producer on Turkish Television. She is a political and religious commentator and a peace activist. She can be reached on Facebook, and Twitter.

142 Responses to “A Muslim Perspective: Boston’s Tragedy Must Not Generate More Hate”

1. Yori Yanover says:

Abbie Applestein – Lord in heaven, how dark it must be on your planet.

2. Yori Yanover says:

Ege Berk Korkut · Nowhere on that page does it say what you've quoted. By placing those words inside quotation marks you are implying that the text appears as is on the cited source. But it doesn't.

3. Lisa Michelle says:

That is the most ridiculous, pathetic analogy I ever heard!

4. Cory Burgess says:

How about CISPA being passed by the House just after the bombing? A little exploitative also? Or maybe the Iraq war; no one manipulated public opinion then. The fact that the Jewish Press gave her a platform should say something about Jews supporting a moderate "Muslim Hippie" (to use the phrase Yori Yanover penned). I didn't see an agenda being pushed, could you please enlighten me as to what agenda Ms. Tezyapar is trying to push?

5. Liad Bar-el Thanks for the tip. I've been wondering about that. Sometimes it workds and somethimes not. The other thing that I have trouble with. When I want to edit something, only a thin area appears, two or three lines. When I try to get in and go above or below what appears, I loss the edit completely. Got to learn. thanks, again!

6. Ben Wilburn says:

That's complete bull****, there have been racially charged attacks against Muslims and non-Muslims from the Boston Marathon attack already. Hundreds of attacks have been attributed to hate crimes motivated by the events of September 11, 2001.

7. Tim Upham says:

The Muslims are going to get you! You better sleep with a gun by your side.

8. FYI RABBI DR. BERNHARD ROSENBERG

Fascinating! The media keeps quoting the Sura which paraphrases the mishna in Sanhedrin about the value of human life. This video shows that the Sura is a directive to the Jews and that the Sura validates/implies that the land of Israel belongs to the Jews.

The video then goes on to the next verse which is a directive to the Muslims advocating.
    death and mutilation to those who disagree with Islam.

Not being familiar with the Koran, it was an eye opener not only seeing the first verse in context, but seeing the verse which follows it advocating terrorist behaviors.

9. Nanette CohenRayman says:

Man salyk: you are no man, but a real moron…even arabs like living in USA and Israel more than their muslim holes .

10. Nanette CohenRayman says:

Les Le Gear ………..I wonder why YORI didn't tell you to not curse….he told me not to, and I didn't even curse…seems Yori is such a believer of taquiyya that he hates women too….let men curse, but oh, when a woman has brains and knows whats going on, in comes YORI to tell me to shut up.

11. Nanette CohenRayman says:

You are correct, Lisa Michelle. The whole message is taquiyya and for any Jew, including Yori to believe this, is heinous and grave disservice to Jews…I also dont appreciate being told by Yori to stop swearing when I did not…yet he allows a man to use a word I did not use and he does not admonish the man. So, this is what I think. Yori is a form of kapo, or he is just brain dead and a liberal who thinks as they throw rocks, and kill us, as Turkey DEMANDS payment for the flotilla floozies, as Boston is blown up, as Buddhists are being beheaded, as moslems in Norway and Sweden are driving the Jews out, as moslems are killing Jews in France, as moslem student associations are pushing BDS, on and on and on, not to mention 1400 years of hate for Jews, that this fake woman with the exessive eyeliner is the lone voice we are supposed to believe. PFFFFT

12. Nanette CohenRayman says:

and Yori, is acting quite LIKE a moslem in telling me to shut up but not telling a man to shut up who used a word I did not use….it is telling, his creepy attitude.

13. John Cousins says:

Well said Bert. Totally agree with you. People helping authorities prevent terrible crimes is a good thing in anyones' book.

14. Annie Cope says:

Yori Yanover – Just to mention that Islam is not the way for a gentile to live a moral Gd fearing life, the way of life (not a religion) is the 7 Noachide Laws, of which some Muslims in Israel have also embraced.

15. Cory Burgess says:

Well Ms. Cohen Rayman I personally do not believe in silencing anyone's views. Please don't stop swearing, we need a little color in this forum. I'm Jewish but also half black so I'm actually beginning to feel like the minority here. I mean Jesus Christ (oops!) what would have happened to my ancestors if that tall, white, Christian man who stood up for his principles didn't decide to "let my people go".(I might have put too many complex meanings in that sentence…sorry). So my question is this; can you come up with an original slur for a Black, Ashkanazi, Jewish, Christian that will finally let me feel at home among my people? :)

16. Adele Bloom says:

B@ll chit!! They are vey evil!

17. O,,, SO DIE IN UR ENEMITY.

18. ISLAM RELIGION OF PEACE U R JEW GANG TERRORIST U CRRING EVRYTHING EVIL AND FILTH TO THE WORLD U R ENMY UR SLF KIDS OF PIG AND MONKEY BABOY LAHAT JEWS……………………

19. بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Please Like me on my facebook page: Karen Aisha Al-Muslimah https://www.facebook.com/pages/Karen-Aisha-Al-Muslimah/341956999182982

Join my Community Page that supports about Islam في سبيل الل
    Please help me promote my page لله تعالى amongst your circles of friends, pages and groups?

شكرا جزيلا و جزاك اللهُ خيراً

كارين عائشة المسلمة

Re-Add Me: Facebook disabled me again! This is my 29th Facebook Account("الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ عَلَى كُلِّ حَالٍ").I have to create this new account: Karen Aisha Al-Muslimah (كارين عائشة المسلمة)http://www.facebook.com/karenaishahamilton

شكرا جزيلا و جزاك اللهُ خيراً :-)

NY rally against Met Opera's 'Death of Klinghoffer' opera. Sept. 22, 2014.
New York City Site of Huge Rally Against Met’s Klinghoffer Opera
William Safire

“It’s a lousy column and a dishonest one,” Halberstam wrote. “So close it. Or you will end up just as shabby as Safire.”

Particularly galling was the complaint by one Jo Anne Simon about Judge Dear’s supposed “mobilizing on behalf of apartheid and his insensitivity to minority communities.”

Whatever one has to say about Iran, it does have clout in the Middle East and the Gulf region and could play a key role in addressing the ISIS threat.

Rav Shlomo Wolbe states that every member of Klal Yisrael is dependent on the entire nation just as a leaf depends on the tree from which it grows.

“Israel must prepare for waves of immigrants from Arab countries, which may endanger its existence”

“I pray that fellow Jews open their eyes & connect themselves to the national side of being a Jew”

The big service ISIS is doing the West right now is checking Iranian power, just as the Sunni rebels inside Syria are keeping the Iranian agent Hezbollah in check, and just as the PLO is keeping Hamas in check, at least to some degree.

Research shows that high doses of marijuana can produce acute psychotic reactions, lower IQ in teens

The current missionary problem in Samaria is still relatively unknown throughout Israel&to most Jews

Rosh Hashanah is a universal, stock-taking, renewal and hopeful holiday,

No mutual clash between parties, it was Jews repeatedly attacked by Arabs, not the other way around.

Israel would love to be in the coalition,but it’s never going to happen, because, in the end, most of America’s allies would walk away if Israel were on board officially.

Why has his death been treated by some as an invitation for an emotional “autopsy”?

SWOT analysis: Assessing resources, internal Strengths&Weaknesses; external Opportunities&Threats.